Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree344Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #81
Matboard Maniac

Ribbon! Ribbon! Ribbon! I don't use it often and I had tons of the stuff ... With the exception of a few favorites - I measured 1 yard off each of them to keep, took what was left to a friends house to share with other crafters and sent more to Goodwill ...
As a side note - not helping the purge thing --- but --- Ugly paper actually makes interesting envelopes .... I found that out when I had some ugly halloween themed paper from a paper pack I had bought. This was whe I first started stamping and befoer scoreboards. I didn't have a lot of money and envelopes can be pricey so I went to the local craft store and die cut the whole lot into envelopes for my halloween cards ... I got lots of compliments on them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #82
Stazon Splitcoast

Purging must be going around. Maybe it's an 'end of the year' thing where we want to start the new year out all clean and shiny and fresh.

I'm spending days next week EMPTYING my office/ studio area, purging, revamping. I was hoping for a full-size studio next year but don't see that happening so I'm going in. Wish me luck!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #83
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post

Money wise my DH gave me wise advice when I was worried about how much everything cost. He told me that it was bought when I enjoyed it and learned from it. I don't enjoy it anymore and I am done learning from it so move on. I give it away to somebody who I know can learn and enjoy it too. I never feel like I wasted any money if I can make somebody happy.

I hope that helps.
This is great, and really speaks to me. My crafting makes me happy, and most often it also results in my making someone else feel good too by whatever I've created - OR by sharing the supplies and tools I've outgrown.

Paper Crafty Goals for 2013: 50/135 pages and 185/75 cards.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #84
Stazon Splitcoast

Hubby and I each have our specific hobby. He spends money on his and I spend money on mine... but we do keep it within reason.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #85
Die Cut Diva

I am getting ready to do a major purge this weekend. I have to move again and I know it will be into a much smaller place so I am going to be getting rid of anything that is not something that I love. I can see tons of paper going out the door and stamps that have never been used. I will also be looking into more efficient ways to store things. I am going to put things into a readily accessible storage so I don't have to get rid of everything, but I will be paring down and donating/selling a lot of stuff. Plus I think it will make me use what is left even more. Also this is an excuse to get really organized.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #86
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeneralsWife View Post
I am getting ready to do a major purge this weekend. I have to move again and I know it will be into a much smaller place so I am going to be getting rid of anything that is not something that I love. I can see tons of paper going out the door and stamps that have never been used. I will also be looking into more efficient ways to store things. I am going to put things into a readily accessible storage so I don't have to get rid of everything, but I will be paring down and donating/selling a lot of stuff. Plus I think it will make me use what is left even more. Also this is an excuse to get really organized.
I went through that almost 6 years ago when we moved out of state to a smaller house. I'm not moving ever again but I do need to purge again, badly!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #87
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

i'm purging too! i have started a box - well, i'm on my 2nd one right now - for a friend's girl scout troop. she's getting all the retired stamp pads and reinkers, a ton of designer papers, about 15 stamp sets, and a bunch of wood blocks from me unmounting other sets.

i just found a ton of cards that i'm about to send on to OWH. and then i just found about 5 different bulk card kits that demos used to be able to buy i'll probably put together and send on.

over the christmas break i'm going to try to put together the other cards from different stamp-a-stacks i held and donate them too.

i'm moving away from making as many cards and moving more towards scrapbooking and then picking up painting again.

plus we are talking about selling this house and moving to a different one and i don't know if i'll have a stamp room in the new one.. (but i'd get a pool so i'm okay with smaller stamp space!!!)

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #88
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I think I started my purge just over 12 months ago, and the first thing on the purge list was the paper. I had sorting boxes and tossed in paper according to 'keep', 'maybe', 'give away' or 'throw away' decisions. While doing this I kept in mind that a quick game is a good game,

Now my paper was reduced I wanted to find a storage solution for the paper that would work for me. First, by chance, I found a second hand set of drawers which was perfect for my needs. Then I decided I wanted to limit myself to just a few select brands and a few select collections of paper with in those brands. So more paper was purged. Then I made the most crucial decision that was to have an impact across my whole craft room, there was to be NO CRAMMINIG, and NO OVERFLOW.

Half way thru the year I relocated, but by then I had organized a storage solution for nearly all sections of my craft room. I purged nearly everything that didn't fit with in my system and guidelines of no overflow or cramming. I still have issues in some areas but for now I can live with that.

For the record, I never had issues with lack of space. I just got to a point where I felt burdened with all the excess. I sold some stuff and what I gave away made some people very happy.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #89
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
i'm purging too! i have started a box - well, i'm on my 2nd one right now - for a friend's girl scout troop. she's getting all the retired stamp pads and reinkers, a ton of designer papers, about 15 stamp sets, and a bunch of wood blocks from me unmounting other sets.

i just found a ton of cards that i'm about to send on to OWH. and then i just found about 5 different bulk card kits that demos used to be able to buy i'll probably put together and send on.

over the christmas break i'm going to try to put together the other cards from different stamp-a-stacks i held and donate them too.

i'm moving away from making as many cards and moving more towards scrapbooking and then picking up painting again.

plus we are talking about selling this house and moving to a different one and i don't know if i'll have a stamp room in the new one.. (but i'd get a pool so i'm okay with smaller stamp space!!!)
Yeah, a pool would be a nice trade off LOL Especially if you can use it year round.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:42 AM   #90
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstreez View Post
I think I started my purge just over 12 months ago, and the first thing on the purge list was the paper. I had sorting boxes and tossed in paper according to 'keep', 'maybe', 'give away' or 'throw away' decisions. While doing this I kept in mind that a quick game is a good game,

Now my paper was reduced I wanted to find a storage solution for the paper that would work for me. First, by chance, I found a second hand set of drawers which was perfect for my needs. Then I decided I wanted to limit myself to just a few select brands and a few select collections of paper with in those brands. So more paper was purged. Then I made the most crucial decision that was to have an impact across my whole craft room, there was to be NO CRAMMINIG, and NO OVERFLOW.

Half way thru the year I relocated, but by then I had organized a storage solution for nearly all sections of my craft room. I purged nearly everything that didn't fit with in my system and guidelines of no overflow or cramming. I still have issues in some areas but for now I can live with that.

For the record, I never had issues with lack of space. I just got to a point where I felt burdened with all the excess. I sold some stuff and what I gave away made some people very happy.
Great advice!
When we were planning our move, and I knew what my space would be, I did pretty much the same thing. If it wasn't going to fit into the new space it didn't go in a packing box.

However, since moving and having 'more time' to create and using my creating as part of my freelance, I've found myself trying new techniques, requiring new stuff. LOL Now I need to scale back and refocus... again. We've hit over-flow.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #91
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for all the advice. I start the purge and the packing this weekend. I think it would be a huge burden lifted if I could get rid of a lot of stuff that has just been hanging around going unloved. I have to get it done ASAP
Old 12-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #92
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to Craf-T-Bear

Hello Ladies,

You all have some GREAT ideas on how to purge. Thank you for sharing your ideas.

My idea's are probably not as broad as yours are, but I find it gives me great self-satisfaction.... I make things & donate to our local Advocacy Center. Three years ago, I was a victim of Domestic Violence and had to walk away from a LOT of things. But, a simple handmade, "You Matter", card turned things around for me.

Today, I am happy to report that I am a survivor of violence and cherish each time I can give a card to someone else that is down on their luck. My goal is to help everyone know that "You Matter". Now, making & giving cards (for any & all occassion's) to other's has given many of us a reason to feel that we indeed do matter.

As a small group, with limited resources, we are always trying to find ways to get more "stash" to make more cards. I'm not sure if I am allowed to ask this or not, but if any of you ladies want to send your extra's our way, I know they will be put to good use. Feel free to PM me for the address.

Huggles,
Christi
S/O Pay-It-Forward (USA) http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...a-t553128.html

Swaps I am participating in:

1.) Card Kit Shower Swap 2014 (Receiving: GROUP #1 February2014 and GROUP #2 July 2014) http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...l#post20471915

Old 12-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #93
Cardstock Collector

I am feeling inspired to purge! Scary, but true!*L* Wish me luck!

Last edited by MsShades; 12-29-2012 at 02:35 PM..
Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #94
Crimping Master

Smile Out With The Old!!

This thread is just what I have needed. I've been out of stamping/scrapping/crafting for several years and my craft room has become to junk room of the house. It is SO bad now it looks almost like a "hoarder" lives there!! I've recently realized how very much I miss the creativity of stamping/scrapping/crafting, but with my room the way it is, there is NO WAY! So, I've been looking at ways to update my room, make the space more useable, organized, and most of all attractive - "pretty it up" a bit. To do THAT, I know I have to start purging!! I've seen myself SO much in everyone's posts - I've got a 3-4 foot long section of DP!!! A HUGE collection of old paper craft magazines and catalogs!! The top shelf in my clothes closet holds more than half my 200+ sets of Stampin' Up stamp sets - the rest are on the shelves of my 3 floor to ceiling bookcases. Other shelves contain a wide variety of embellishments, flowers, glitter, paints, etc. More ribbon than ANYONE could use in a lifetime!! I have another smaller closet with shelves full of small baskets of embellishments and craft supplies. Scrap booking supplies hide under a table. I don't have a craft room, I have a craft STORE!! Everyone's descriptions of feeling "overwhelmed" by "stash" rang very true here! I could literally have a panic attack thinking about all the STUFF in my room!! So, next week. The purging will start!! I'm hoping to get started back as a Stampin' Up demo, so I'll need to purge retired stamp pad and re-inker colors.

I'm also going to get started unmounting all my wood mount stamps (probably 98% of what I have). I don't really want to purge stamp sets until I KNOW what I have and have it out where it can actually be used.

You all have inspired me!! I'll be back with updates and maybe to start posting some before, during, & after pictures!
PURGE ON!!
Rhonda

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
chattycathy59 likes this post.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #95
Embossing Fanatic

Wow! I wish I lived next door to YOU! You could purge MY way! Just kidding. That would mean that all of the stuff I purged and gave to my grandson's school would have been in vain. Heard the teachers LOVED it! So glad I made the effort. Also sold some stamps at our stamp shop's used stamp sale. Now--what to do with the rest of them?
Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 AM   #96
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydouph View Post
I recently gave 6 boxes of stuff from my craftroom to a women's drop-in center and it felt great. I actually went through all my paper and pulled out what I would never use. I do have a small stack of not my thing paper that I do use for envelopes. I've been feeling overwhelmed by the clutter and it is finally getting to the point where I can donate stamps! I have sets where I adore one or two stamps only - I'm breaking up the sets and making it work for me - very liberating!
I must admit, my craft room is again looking very much the worse for wear! I have had several months of "challenging" health issues and my craft room suffered. I still managed to get my cards/crafts done for Christmas, but my space is trashed. Now that the holidays are just about over, its time to get it really organized. What I wouldn't give to outfit my room with the coolest papercrafting storage, but I'm going to have to make do with bookcases and old desks. Other than the ribbon and die clubs I belong to, nothing new until everything I have has a home! That will be a toughie!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #97
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I love the suggestion to donate to a nursing home!!! I think Seniors get forgotten a lot when it comes to donations and gifting.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #98
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydouph View Post
I must admit, my craft room is again looking very much the worse for wear! I have had several months of "challenging" health issues and my craft room suffered. I still managed to get my cards/crafts done for Christmas, but my space is trashed. Now that the holidays are just about over, its time to get it really organized. What I wouldn't give to outfit my room with the coolest papercrafting storage, but I'm going to have to make do with bookcases and old desks. Other than the ribbon and die clubs I belong to, nothing new until everything I have has a home! That will be a toughie!
Be encouraged! My craft room was a total disaster January last year after a feverish bout of Christmas cardmaking and just buying stuff that really had no place to put the things in - and then a family member was diagnosed with a life-threatening illness early Feb and I spent much of 2012 caring for them as they journeyed through treatment and lived at the hospital with them for months. I couldn't even look in my craft room without feeling stressed and overwhelmed. But once my loved one's treatment finished, I started the arduous task of sorting through all my stuff. My room looked 1000 times worse during the process. I moved furniture around so it was in a more practical place for access; I had 3 boxes - 1 for donating, 1 for selling at a future date but I am giving myself a time limit and if it isn't sold, it will go to charity, and 1 for rubbish.

I couldn't believe how much stuff there was and donated stickers, designer papers etc. to my local pre-school (kindergarten). I took craft magazines (that weren't too old of course) to the specialists' waiting rooms and at the hospital and put some in the Magazine Swap Box at my local library. I have had a donation truck come twice and pick up stuff that I didn't know what to do with but was still in good condition and useful to somone out there. I was ruthless in my sorting and although I sometimes had a pang of guilt for something I spent money on but hadn't used, I also felt that someone else who had very little money would enjoy it. It was tiring going through things but also a journey of discovery of forgotten treasures and items I have no recollection of buying and wondered why I had because I didn't like them at all!

Now, some months later, I can look in my craft room and feel like it is a room I can create in. I am still moving things around a little to suit my needs but it is so nice to have my various items all together in one place instead of spread around the room in 10 places which irritated me because I couldn't find things when I needed them. I have re-purposed containers and bought cheap little plastic baskets ($1 for 4) and even re-used a plastic cutlery divider from my kitchen drawer which is fantastic for putting my rulers, scissors, erasers and pencils sharpeners in so that my top desk drawer isn't just a jumble of items. I bought some cheap DVD empty DVD containers which came in a pack of 10 for $2 and a roll of magnetic tape for $2 and will put my dies in them as storage. I haven't spent much money but oh, the freedom and joy to go into a room and create instead of frustrate!

"A place for everything and everything in its place." That tried and true motto has stood the test of time. So be encouraged pennydouph! Yes, it is hard work and you might feel like you are drowning when you start, and at times you will wish you hadn't started the whole process, but persevere - it is so worth it. I hope this helps.

My Gallery My Blog

Sometimes the smallest things take the most room in your heart - Piglet

Last edited by JoBear2; 01-02-2013 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-10-2013, 03:49 AM   #99
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

The ruthless mantra's are:
I don't like this.
I have outgrown this.
This does not fit my art lifestyle anymore.

Here's another decluttering tip I always give out. All that stuff you have is paying free rent in your home. It's getting free utilities too. Clutter is a freeloader.
This is great info and I LOVE the last line. This might help me. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #100
Crimping Master

WOW...it took me quite some time to get here!! I totally avoided this thread topic PERIOD!! Yes, I have been acussed of being a hoarder...unfortunately not only in my Craft Room!! YIKES!!! I have downsized in my decorating, got rid of all of my nick-nacks years ago, I don't enjoy cleaning and dusting in my free time. My Craft Room has become the catch all for my entire family, so I refuse to own the hoarding all by myself! LOL In the last week I have started deep cleaning my CR and it feels GREAT!! Mainly I started with everyone's junk that isn't part of my own crafting supplies, then all the decorations that got loaded on top of my shelves that didn't encourage creativity! I have gone through supplies and got rid of tons of things I thought "Why am I keeping this?" Ok some of that junk is the hoarder in me! (Keeping chip board from the back of paper stacks to make 6X6 Albums someday...but it wasn't thick enough to even get excited about). That kind of stuff...oh boy, you'd think I lived through the Great Depression for Cryin' OUt Loud!! LOL

I told my DH if I won the Lottery I could finally get rid of all the JUNK that I hold onto, I wouldn't have to fear that I couldn't replace it! HA!! No Lottery for me, time to Purge anyway!!

I too love the idea of a Retirement Home or Women's Shelter! Perhaps my paper supply will soon dwindle down as well!!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #101
Proud Fan Club Member

Gizelabella's post reminded me of a guest post that Danielle LaPorte (LOVE her!) did on Bindu Wile's blog a couple of years ago. This is what started me on my whole purging/organizing/downsizing venture, and I especially love the line "You're giving sacred space to something that isn't sacred to you." If you want to read the whole post (which I highly recommend), you can find it here: The Law of the Ugly Chair

Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #102
Stampin' Fool

Hi Ladies,

A few of you have already pm'ed me about my "You Matter Project" and have offered (or already sent things) for it. Let me be the first to say that the ladies have ALL been so excited to make things with your de-stash's!

We have one lady who has spent the past 5 weeks in the hospital due to being beaten so badly. We took her a small box of things over the weekend and let me tell you, she cried so hard when she found out that total stranger's thought enough of her to donate things.

Today, when this same lady was visited by some member's of the, "You Matter Project", she was smiling and had made 3 cards to remind herself that she DOES matter. She has them proudly posted up on her mini bullitin board in her hospital room. Her doctor's & nurse's have said that, "she has been giving the renewed will to fight hard through her physical therapy and has shown much progress over the past few days. With continued progress, it's hopeful that she will be released from the hospital in the next couple of weeks."

THAT right there, is the reason that I founded this local project. People DO matter!

So, in an effort to continue this gift, I humbly ask each of you to think about donating some of your purged supplies to efforts such as this. Perhaps you could find a local shelter or advocacy center and start your own local project. Or, if you do not have the time to do that, but would still like to partake, you are more than welcome to send things our way. Trust me, they will make a huge difference. Here's the addy to send thing to:

"The You Matter Project"
c/o Christi Usher
P.O. Box 244
Etna, NY 13062

Happy Purging & Many Blessings,
Christi

1.) Card Kit Shower Swap 2014 (Receiving: GROUP #1 February2014 and GROUP #2 July 2014) http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...l#post20471915

Old 01-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #103
Glitter Guru

Thumbs up

Gizelabella: good for you for making a fantastic start to purging. And I understand exactly where you are coming from about holding onto the JUNK for fear that you wouldn't be able to replace it. My late father lived through the Great Depression and hung onto everything all his life. He was so poor when he went to school that he had bare feet - his Mum couldn't afford shoes or even socks! After he passed away unexpectedly 17 years ago, we had the difficult task of going through a mountain of things in his garage. I think he hung onto every screw or nail that he ever came across as there were many large containers of them. And they were all rusty so totally useless. I was brought up to "hang onto things because you never know when they will come in handy" - the trouble is that you never do know when they will come in handy - that day never actually seems to arrive - and so the growing pile of stuff continues on. I have never regretted purging anything - but it took me a while to change my way of thinking because my mind would automatically go to the thoughts of "maybe I should save this for......". Now I stop myself and ask myself: Do I like it? Can I think immediately of what I could use it for? Have I wished I wanted one in the past year? If I answer "no" to any of the questions, out it goes for either donation or the bin. I now feel comfortable thinking that if I do end up needing whatever I gave away/tossed, I am sure to find one cheap on EBay!

Keep going with your purging and let us know how you are going

My Gallery My Blog

Sometimes the smallest things take the most room in your heart - Piglet
Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #104
Stampin' Fool

Hi Ladies,

Just posting this here in an attempt to answer a few question's that some of you have asked me:

1.) No, we do not have a specific website. This is mainly due to confidential things & the fact that most women affiliated with the project have gone through some sort of abuse (generally physical). So, for their protection, we do not have one.

2.) As for starting a "You Matter Project"...

All ll I did was, after one of the girls had given me a card, we got to talking in one of the support groups about cardmaking and how her card really helped me to know that I mattered and that someone cared about ME for a change.

As we talked about how relaxing and self-gratifying cardmaking is to us, other's wanted to learn to do it too. So, we began swapping phone number's and getting together outside of the "regular support group's" to make cards and form stronger female friendship's.

Basically, we got together, and brought things that each of us already had to share, or things that people donated and it went from there. Once folks got the general idea of it & that one's imagination is the only limitation, we were well on our way to making & sharing our cards with new women that came into the shelter or programs.

It's a VERY empowering thing for us to share of ourselves, find solitce together, and know that each of us DO matter. We are ALL much stronger women today and know that we do NOT need a relationship to make us whole. We can & do, do that from within ourselves.

So, if you are interested in starting one in your local area, I would suggest that you simply talk to your local advocacy center to see if this is something they would be interested in. You can simply just donate cards so that whomever needs them, can have them.... or you can make them specific for an individual. As a "You Matter" group, you can make them and sell them too, as a fundraiser for the Advocacy Center with 100% of the money going to them...to help with the costs of things to help those that come in for assistance.

I hope this helps.

Huggles,
Christi

Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #105
Crimping Master

Gregzgurl~Thanks!! I will Go to your Link, I'm sure I will find it inspiring!! Thanks for thinking of me.

JoBear2, I am with you, I really have never regretted purging anything specific, I guess it's just getting there, but I really wish I would have taken a before and after picture of my Craft Space, there is no way you couldn't help but be ecstatic for such progress!! LOL My DH is in awe!! LOL There are a few littler things I want to go through, my scraps of Card Stock...I'm not sure how to tackle and store in as little of space as possible, I suppose color cordinating??? And I have a little basket that has been a catch-all of items that were left over from projects I worked on, that would probably be a great thing to donate, in the past I have included some of those pre-made images to my stamp container that holds the actual stamp??? LET GO Gigi!! Ha!!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:06 AM   #106
Mad Swapper

JoBear2, you are so right! I have to admit that being a squirrel must run in my family's genes, .I have forever hoarded stuff 'because it may come in useful one day', as you say, that day never comes. Or when it does, you've hoarded so much stuff, you know you have it, but can't find it! I've had a new craft room, and have been moving my stuff from one room to the other over the last two weeks. The fact it took two weeks shocked me- it didn't help I had one arm in a splint because I fractured my shoulder back before Christmas, so I could only carry small stuff in one hand, but Beloved Hubby moved all the boxes of stuff over, I just had to unpack. I found, (packing & unpacking), stuff I'd forgotten I'd bought, and started purging as I put stuff away. I have a habit of overmaking, I think. When I do some alcohol inked backgrounds, for instance, I don't just do the one I want- I think I'll do a few extra to save time next time I want one, then get carried away enjoying the technique, and end up with thirty or so! Same with brayered backgrounds, or stamped/embossed. So then I have to store them too. And scraps. Always scraps. I think I have to set a definite minimum size to keep scraps. I keep them all- emptying my scraps into a new drawer I found bits that aree really never going to be used, no matter how I insist to myself, 'they'll make inchies etc'. So, being in the middle of re-organising and not able to do much else anyway, I am going to be rurhless. Anything usable- stamps/cardstock etc is going to my DIL for the grandchildrens card making ( I just unmounted all my wood stamps for easier storage)- paper/card too small to use is going in the bin, and I am hoping to keep it tidy & organised this year.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #107
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craf-T-Bear View Post

1.) No, we do not have a specific website. This is mainly due to confidential things & the fact that most women affiliated with the project have gone through some sort of abuse (generally physical). So, for their protection, we do not have one.
Christi- I think you are doing wonderful things with your charity. I do think you need to have a website. I work with two organizations that help women and young girls who are abused. Both of the organizations that I work with do have a website with all the information they are non-profit and can provide tax forms for donations. Both of these organizations were started by members who have been abused or raped. The survivors of these programs are well protected. People feel more comfortable knowing there is a physical charity they are donating too. You will get a lot more support.

I do understand you are trying to protect your girls. After I was raped I had many good intention people try to help me with organizations I could turn too. I went too one that was small but had a physical building I knew about in my neighborhood. They helped me rebuild my life. I never once felt like they would expose me to any danger. At that time they were just starting a small website and newsletter distributed to churches. They have now grown into a larger charity. Please do look into a website or try to find another organization that will give you support for a website. Many organizations will do this. I would like to see your charity become a success.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #108
Stampin' Fool

I'm definately going to ask about this again! You are correct about donations.

Quote:
Christi- I think you are doing wonderful things with your charity. I do think you need to have a website. I work with two organizations that help women and young girls who are abused. Both of the organizations that I work with do have a website with all the information they are non-profit and can provide tax forms for donations. Both of these organizations were started by members who have been abused or raped. The survivors of these programs are well protected. People feel more comfortable knowing there is a physical charity they are donating too. You will get a lot more support.

I do understand you are trying to protect your girls. After I was raped I had many good intention people try to help me with organizations I could turn too. I went too one that was small but had a physical building I knew about in my neighborhood. They helped me rebuild my life. I never once felt like they would expose me to any danger. At that time they were just starting a small website and newsletter distributed to churches. They have now grown into a larger charity. Please do look into a website or try to find another organization that will give you support for a website. Many organizations will do this. I would like to see your charity become a success.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #109
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Everyone!
Time to start thinking about starting 2014 out all sparkly and new. Who else is trying to figure out where to put their new toys and supplies?

I'm purging email today. Tomorrow I start digging out the studio I've not been in for about 3 months. I'm suppose to teach an organization class beginning the end of this month. Need to find my studio and make notes as I go.

Feel free to share your tips and tricks for storing anything or what you've decided to purge and why.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #110
Stazon Splitcoast

Over the months I've gotten a pile of other people's unwanted patterned papers.
At first I was completely excited, but the pile has degenerated into an unruly mess of smaller bits and now I am on the verge of giving it away because it really has stayed a pile - I have no additional storage space for these! Also, my paper storage is designed for 8.5 x 11, and this pile is all 12 x 12 papers! And my paper folders are already full - bulging! So even if I was industrious enough to cut the 12 x 12 paper down to size, there wouldn't be any room. And I don't want to buy more storage and crowd my space even more... But I am not complaining, merely explaining. This is a happy problem!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #111
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
Over the months I've gotten a pile of other people's unwanted patterned papers.
At first I was completely excited, but the pile has degenerated into an unruly mess of smaller bits and now I am on the verge of giving it away because it really has stayed a pile - I have no additional storage space for these! Also, my paper storage is designed for 8.5 x 11, and this pile is all 12 x 12 papers! And my paper folders are already full - bulging! So even if I was industrious enough to cut the 12 x 12 paper down to size, there wouldn't be any room. And I don't want to buy more storage and crowd my space even more... But I am not complaining, merely explaining. This is a happy problem!
I have some 12x12 dp I got when I taught at Michaels. Most are not patterns I would use in a large scale but am going to break them down into smaller pieces for art journals and mixed media.

Maybe look into a local Girl Scout troop or rehabilitation center.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #112
Stazon Splitcoast

OH! I haven't given up yet - I'm just ABOUT to give up! I am still trying to think of a temporary storage solution... Right now it is on the work table, but I go to it first thing, before reaching for any 8.5 x 11 papers! I'm still hoping that I'll use them all up, churn out massive amounts of cards using them, etc. Always the optimist here!
ScrappinCEO likes this post.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #113
Polyshrink Goddess

Love the subject... If I haven't touched something - stamps, punches, etc. in at least 2 years, I need to give it away or sell it on ebay, or craigslist..... My main clutter problem is PAPER!!! OMG,,,,,,, HELP!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #114
Insane Embellisher

Our DIL and 2 granddaughters have been here since Dec 4th and are leaving Jan 20th. The girls are 7 and 3 and naturally want to play with everything, so I've put my needlework and crafting on hiatus, put a lot stuff away or out of reach and got them crayons and brought out kiddy-safe items. Their father still has his old Legos here too. I could do my thing after the girls are asleep, but I'm way too tired!

Once everyone has left I'll set things back up again and start the yearly purge.

Last edited by Cartermrc; 12-31-2013 at 01:17 PM..
Old 12-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #115
Gabfest Goddess

I just finished a truly ruthless purge and it really feels good. I made myself touch every product from and I went through every box and drawer. What I found:

Paints that were long past being reconstituted - tossed 10

12x12 ugly paper that I used to give away - save for envelopes and scratch paper for templates

I have a graveyard of storage boxes that I out grew but couldn't bare to let them go are now gone. I kept just a few extras for growth.

Adhesives that I don't like - sent to DILs school

Embossing Powder & Glitter colors I don't like - sent to DILs school

Stickers I kept a few letter sets and peel-offs - rest sent to DILs school

Chipboard die cuts - kept basics (circles, hearts, birds, stars, etc.) the rest - sent to DILs school

Pens, pencils, markers - tossed 10 with bad tips that can't be replaced, 8 ugly colors, and 10 duplicates for classes - sent to DIL's school

Tested every stamp pad and purged colors that are never/ever used or dry with no refill - 20 pads gone but I still have 236 (this includes multiples for classes, spots, & cat's eyes). I think I have a sickness...

Paper Scraps - only kept 3" or larger - tiny pieces I tossed and the rest I sent to DIL's school

Tools - only kept 1 back-up and the rest I gave away. Really, just how many bone folders, piercing tools, scissors, and tweezers does a person need.

Cello & Plastic Bags - this may seem purge may seem strange, but I bet you also have a box or drawer full of used bags. If you're like me you'd rather use a funky bag for yourself than use a new one. Well, again I'm deranged because I tossed close to 100 baggies & bags. They were not decent enough to give away.

Alterable Items - gave away over 30 tins, jars, & boxes I thought I would cover some day. I only kept a what would fit in two 12x12 Iris cart drawers.

Stamps - pulled out at least 400 individual stamps and about 25 sets. I got rid of ones I didn't like, never used, and a lot of duplicates. I don't really need 30 stamps that say "hello", a gazillion tiny daises, and boat load of tiny hearts.

Embellishments - I've done a good job on not buying new so I didn't have much to clear out. Whew!

Watercolors (pencils, crayons, Peerless Papers, H2Os, & paint sets) I sorted by colors and then test each one. I gave away about 25 duplicates and then made a color chart so I can see what I have. I stored all the watercolor mediums in one of the new SU stamp cases by color groups and then put the color chart in the box. This is working really well for me because I'm now using all my mediums.

Misc. Junk - the stuff you say you'll finish, the odds and ends that just might work on some future project, samples I'll never make again, etc. - I was ruthless and tossed most of it. If I haven't made it by now, there is really good chance I never will. Samples that were in good shape I gave to DILs school

If you're still reading ... what did I learn?

That all my other purges were good but not good enough and I was kidding myself when I used to say I needed all this stuff. What I have now I honestly truly like and I am using. I no longer feel like I have to keep something because I spent good money on the item. If I don't like it or it doesn't work I get rid of it right away. I have empty drawers and everything is easy to reach, drawers and boxes are not overfilled. It's a little piece of heaven again....
Old 12-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #116
Stazon Splitcoast

Great job!

My problem is hanging on to those #5 non-recyclable containers to use for sorting, paint cups, etc. I've had to make myself contain them to one sterilite tub. But I shudder throwing them into the landfill. I've also discovered teachers and scout troops can also use only so many LOL
Old 12-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #117
Polyshrink Goddess

My room mate and I moved in together nearly 5 yearsago. I moved an apartment full of stuff into her already full apartment. My situation had changed without much notice, so neither of us had much chance to purge beforehand. We both deal with disabilities and had a hard time purging and clearing up the mess. We were overwhelmed and depressed dealing with this as best we could. We had a little help here and there, but just made small dents. Then this past spring we hired an agency to help us. The first gal we had was AMAZING. For a coupleof months she helped us go through all the boxes, piles, closets, .etc. and make piles of keep,trash, and donate. She hauled the trash out and took van loads to goodwill. Unfortunately when we were nearly done she decided to do something different and we haven't had anyone quite as good since, but we've managed to contine to finish a little at a time, and maintain it. We still have someone in once a week to help us.

I did a major purge of my crafting stuff a while back, and little by little keep working to organize it and keep it from getting out of hand. The room is divided in half with my craft stuff on one side and my room mate's office stuff on the other. We need to tackle her piles of stuff next. She's recuperating from having both knees replaced in the past two months at the moment, so progress is a little slow at the moment.

It has been a large and time consuming job, but the relief is tremendous. It is so freeing to have the clutter gone. I now feel like cooking and creating, and we're both so much happier and less stressed.

Free cat hair with every card!
ScrappinCEO, Brenda71 and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #118
Stazon Splitcoast

This looks like an interesting thread that I certainly could use some ideas from.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:23 AM   #119
Compulsive Stamper

I've started the craft room purging. Today we started going through the 12x12 paper, and I've been looking at every single sheet. If we're unsure about something, it's gone. Paper we're keeping is going into our new storage boxes. Luckily it's already sorted into themes.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:58 AM   #120
Mad Swapper

Way to go, Stamphappy! That was pretty much how I did my purge- the hardest part is refusing to keep stuff just because you spent money on it, and see it as wasteful to get rid of when you've never used it. I convinced myself the money was wasted anyway, the only way to retrieve the situation was, where possible, to give it to someone /somewhere who would use it.
ScrappinCEO, Brenda71, Phantom and 3 others like this post.