Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree344Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #41
Polyshrink Goddess

And Inkin One, you have a point about how much money we have all wasted. I had an organizer here 4 years ago and she kept repeating "shop at home". Yeah! I have done near as much shopping as I used to. I cut out the coupons, but only us them when I "need" something, not "want" something.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #42
Crimping Master

Stamping4fungin..
ISO..means "In Search Of" is a For sale or trade thread where you can ask if someone has something you are loking for..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #43
Polyshrink Goddess

Default ISO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkin One View Post
Stamping4fungin..
ISO..means "In Search Of" is a For sale or trade thread where you can ask if someone has something you are loking for..
Thanks!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #44
Glitter Queen

Smile Using up DP to make "ladders"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmakathy View Post
I use those skinny strips of leftover cardstock/paper to make "ladders". Using double sided adhesive strips, place two/three colors/desihgns of strips horizontally on a 5-1/2 by 2 or 3" adhesive strip, trim and place on your mat piece or directly on card front.

Grandmakathy
This sounds like a great idea - but I can't quite picture what you mean. Could you send post a sample? Thanks for the wonderful ideas!!
Chickabodie
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #45
Matboard Maniac

Save your scraps in a pizza box. Then take to a local school. I rarely part with a stamp. I have a bunch of foam stamps from the 80's. I don't like them and will give to animal shelter's rummage sale. But paper and other stuff I will. Try putting stuff in a shoe box then under the bed it goes. If you don't find yourself in the box often then let it go. I trade stuff with my pen pals. There is an adult day care center in my city. I am going to clean out my crafts and donate next time I am there.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #46
Rubber Obsessor

These are all great ideas.
My two nieces are crafting goddesses. They LOVE making things. The boy nextdoor also loves to craft. I have a present box (big Rubbermaid tub) in the laundry room. As I come across stuff that I don't want anymore, I put it in that box. When one of their birthdays come around, I go hunting in the box. If it's still hanging around in that box, I obviously won't miss it.

Some days I feel like giving away and others days I hang on to everything. This way helps me to purge more by taking advantage of those ruthless days.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #47
Die Cut Diva

When I moved in March, I knew I was going to have to do something about the enormous stash that I had. We have a huge used scrapbook sale at my local store once a year and so I started a box of things that I knew I wasn't going to use. Then I went through all my stamps, and then my ribbon and so on. It was easy for me since I purged as I packed, and that one sale box turned in to 2 and then 3. If I hadn't looked at it in over a year, it went. If it was ugly, it went. If it wasn't my style anymore, gone. I was really decisive. I just knew I needed to pare down. I went through DCWV stacks and Basic Grey pads and I have never used an eyelet ever, so all those went. I went through every piece of paper that I have ever bought and I bagged it up 25 sheets for $1.00. I priced everything bargain basement low, I mean super cheap and when all was said and done and after the LSS took their 20%, I had a store credit of $461 to use on the items that I really wanted. So I bought more copics and more of the nestabilities that I know I would use and some more Doodlebug paper. I can never have enough Doodlebug.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #48
Proud Fan Club Member

Schools love to get what we do not want. One of our teachers came to me today to see if I had anything that her class could use to create cards with. A whole bag of scraps and a few sheets of paper I will never use will be in her classroom tomorrow. Great way to get rid of what I do not want and ease her project budget too. A win win for everyone.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #49
Compulsive Stamper

Default ISO forum question

I believe ISO stands for "in search of". I see posts from people looking for a certain stamp or set under that heading.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #50
Glitter Guru

It's been great reading this thread. I having just done Purge #1. I have a local charity who you can ring and they send a truck to pick up your stuff which you just leave by your front door in garbage bags or boxes - and my stuff was picked up yesterday - YAY! I can't tell you how good it feels to purge. Sure, maybe there was stuff I could have sold myself but as the full-time carer for a very ill family member, I just don't have the time.

When I really started to dig deep in my craft room, I was really shocked at how many magazines I have collected. Some mags I did put aside for niece to either use for making craft for her market stall or selling - but many of the remainder went to charity. Most of them only sell for around $3 on EBay so it would be too much effort for little gain.

Earlier this year, in a quick purge, I donated a whole lot to the waiting room at the hospital where my loved one was having treatment as I knew there were ladies there who did scrapbooking and there were no crafty-type magazines there for them - many were ones about TV/Hollywood stars or motorcycle/masculine magazines. It made me think that if I want to buy another magazine, it will be digital - if at all! Honestly, some mags I looked at made me wonder what I bought them for! I would hate to add up what I have spent and I feel quite appalled with myself

Now that my daughter is 9, we went through her books together and there were lots of books that she has grown out of and some of the nicer ones still in excellent condition, I am donating to my local Osteopath later today where I have regular treatment along with some more crafting magazines for their waiting room.

I spoke to an Art Therapist at the hospital where my loved one was having Stage 2 of their treatment, and she said that they are always in need of crafting items such as designer papers, embellishments, ribbons etc. and they rely on charitable donations to buy these things, so my Purge #2 will be concentrating on what I can give back for all that they have done to help my loved one. Even just having a quick look at my designer papers, I realise how many that I just either don't like or the designs are too large for making a card: what was I thinking at the time?!

I had no idea until I started purging that there were so many places that are crying out for "stuff" or who happily take your "stuff".

Maybe I need to re-adjust my focus when buying "stuff" and if I buy something, I have to purge something the same size or similar product to compensate?

My Gallery My Blog

Sometimes the smallest things take the most room in your heart - Piglet
Old 10-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #51
Gallery Gazer

My neighbor the teacher says she gets $250 a year and after that she has to buy her own pens, post it notes, papers, etc. How sad is it that our schools are so budget poor that they cannot buy everyday supplies for teachers??? Once I get finished with gatherings Nov. 3 I'll be purging and giving her goodies.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #52
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBear2 View Post
Maybe I need to re-adjust my focus when buying "stuff" and if I buy something, I have to purge something the same size or similar product to compensate?
That is one of the cardinal rules in decluttering. If something new comes in something old goes out. This is really great if you are just starting a huge decluttering project. When your like me and have done this for most of your life and live like a minimalist I would own nothing if I practiced that, lol. I declutter every week. I just throw a bag in the donation bin when I am out on my weekly errands.

I was thinking about magazines last night. I would love for some of my craft magazines to be digital. I do still read a few old issues. They are dog eared and so well loved. I am a picky buyer. I still buy all sorts of magazines like crazy. I cut out images in my magazines to use for my collages and mixed media work.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #53
Stazon Splitcoast

The biggest difference in space for me was when I unmounted all of my wood-mounted stamps. Wow. What a huge, huge difference!!! I also got rid of paper. And oval punches, because now I had the four-set of Spellbinder oval dies. I got rid of a lot of embellishments that I had bought at 75% off, that I never used. I got rid of a lot of stamps too. I laid everything out on my living room floor, then had my real-life stamper friend come over and pick out what she wanted. She also brought over stuff that she didn't want anymore, but she took a huge tub of stuff. Then I packed up the remainder of the unwanted stuff neatly and hauled it over to another stamper friend's home. They were all in medium-sized USPS priority-mail boxes (I figured someone could mail them off through Ebay when all was said and done). This second friend took a ton of stuff and left me with only two boxes of stuff. I gave these two boxes to a co-worker and said his daughter (who scrapbooks) could keep whatever she wanted and his son could sell the rest on Ebay (or whatever) and keep the proceeds.

I had SO MUCH storage left over than I used this storage to organize other parts of my home! I had squashed my craft room into HALF a room!! Absolutely amazing!! But without a doubt, the biggest difference were the wood blocks that I got rid of.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:47 AM   #54
Glitter Guru

[QUOTE=lylacfey;19762033]That is one of the cardinal rules in decluttering. If something new comes in something old goes out. This is really great if you are just starting a huge decluttering project. When your like me and have done this for most of your life and live like a minimalist I would own nothing if I practiced that, lol. I declutter every week. I just throw a bag in the donation bin when I am out on my weekly errands.
[QUOTE]

I LOVE the idea of decluttering every week! That way it would become a habit. Thanks for the idea

My Gallery My Blog

Old 10-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #55
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Money wise my DH gave me wise advice when I was worried about how much everything cost. He told me that it was bought when I enjoyed it and learned from it. I don't enjoy it anymore and I am done learning from it so move on. I give it away to somebody who I know can learn and enjoy it too. I never feel like I wasted any money if I can make somebody happy.

I hope that helps.
Your husband is very wise. Love this!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #56
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm also in the middle of decluttering. My hobbies have evolved. I started out scrapbooking in the late 90s, then signed up with SU! as a demo in 2006 when I decided stamping was the thing. Then in 2009, I started making jewelry. I've decluttered here & there along the way but this year I finished my LAST real scrapbook! I'm digital from here on out. I also gave up being a demo in January of this year. So, I have a lot to get rid of!

I also have given to my kids' school, friends, sold here on SCS, ebay, craigslist, etc. I'm going through a sentimental thing as I do it...it's seems kind of sad that I just haven't touched my SU! inkpads in a year to the point where I'm getting rid of them! I do have an 8-year old daughter & 6 year old boy who love art so I've put a lot of my junky "bought because it was 75% off" random embellishments in their craft area & washed my hands of it.

I still can't bring myself to get rid of all my nice SU! cardstock though...
Old 11-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #57
Rubber Obsessor

I use DP I don't like as wrapping paper for small birthday gifts, like DVD's.

I also belong to a book swapping site and I use the DP to wrap the books before mailing them.

I also have 2 daughters who like to papercraft, so when we're working together, I steer them towards the DP that isn't my favorite. I've also offered it to their Girl Scout troops when they're doing paper projects.

I don't have a ton of DP paper - my entire collection could fit in a 12x12" box and still have room left over, so I don't feel the need to purge any. If you do decide to purge some of yours, schools or scouting troops would be thrilled to have it and once it's gone, you'll never miss it.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #58
Stazon Splitcoast

karen care to share the book swapping site?
thanks
Old 11-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #59
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Send a message via AIM to bdeyes9

My room is long and narrow...It is filled to the absolute brim and is driving me NUTS!! I have a TON of paper scraps...My Plan is to get rid of 2/3 I will make 3 piles and allow myself 1...The rest I plan to donate if the scraps aren't too small.. I save even the tiny pieces. I need to throw those out. I used to use alot of my scraps when I was using my old paper storage method. (Sterlite drawers with scraps stored with the full sheets Maybe I should go back to a modified version of that system. Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #60
Rubber Obsessor

bdeyes9, the friend who got me "addicted" said to save everything, and originally I did save every little scrap. Then I saw her craft/crap room, and it looks like yours sounds. I decided then and there to keep nothing smaller than a 3 or 4 inch square. All scraps meeting that criteria are sorted by color in gallon size ziplocks. I never think twice about tossing the rest. My stuff is now very organized, and I am happier for it!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #61
Pearl-ExPert

I am guilty of saving small scraps too. I use them with my punches. I do punch out a lot of items. I have a rule every three months the scrap paper gets donated and I start again. This really works for me because I get a clean slate and others get new paper to inspire them. I do keep a few sheets of paper that was hard to find or extremely expensive. It's usually only two or three scraps.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 11-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

Default yahoo!

purging and I feel great! Love all the great ideas here!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #63
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Money wise my DH gave me wise advice when I was worried about how much everything cost. He told me that it was bought when I enjoyed it and learned from it. I don't enjoy it anymore and I am done learning from it so move on. I give it away to somebody who I know can learn and enjoy it too. I never feel like I wasted any money if I can make somebody happy.

I hope that helps.
Wonderful thought, DeeAnn! Thanks!

PS. I'd LOVE to have a long-arm quilting machine!!
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #64
Glitter Guru

Quote:
I am guilty of saving small scraps too. I use them with my punches. I do punch out a lot of items. I have a rule every three months the scrap paper gets donated and I start again. This really works for me because I get a clean slate and others get new paper to inspire them. I do keep a few sheets of paper that was hard to find or extremely expensive. It's usually only two or three scraps.
I love this idea and also the previous poster's of saving nothing smaller than a 3 x 4 scrap and the regular purging. I have almost finished a 2nd major purge in the past 2 months and I feel exhilerated and liberated from feeling like I was choked by 'stash'. I just know that I will feel more creative from doing it. I have my own rule that once the item(s) goes in the 'donate to charity' or the 'rubbish' box, I am not allowed to take anything out of the box. Hope that doesn't sound silly but in the past I have had 2nd thoughts when going through a box again and end up keeping too many things. BTW, I have never regretted purging - it really works for me

My Gallery My Blog

Old 11-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #65
Stazon Splitcoast

Heart

two more boxes of "stuff" gone today.....I have empty shelves! and it feels good!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #66
Proud Fan Club Member

I've been doing a lot of purging this past summer (a friend who is just starting out in cardmaking got most of it, the Boys and Girls Clubs of America got the rest). Another idea for what I'm keeping: a couple of my blogger friends participate in the Shopping Our Stash challenges. There is a new one every week, and it looks really fun! I've had too many "life" things going on to do much on the creative front lately, but I hope to start again real soon, and I'm going to add this to my list of things to incorporate!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #67
Compulsive Stamper

That dreaded word "Purge". I wish I only had to purge just some ugly paper, some magazines or maybe some stamps. That's cardmaking and/or scrapbooking. What do you do when you need to purge your jewelry making supplies, your polymer clay supplies, your sewing supplies, your knitting supplies and your fused glass supplies on top of card making and scrapbook supplies. I have stuff that has gone out of style, come back and people think it's a new product. People think my craft room is a store it's so bad. It's not that I don't want to purge, I am so overwhelmed by it. I seem to take one step forward and two back. I have to start somewhere before I go crazy.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #68
Glitter Guru

I also have quite a number of different hobbies - some I still do occasionally and some I used to do (like dried flower arranging) and lots and lots of sewing and I had kept all sorts of bits and pieces from each hobby but I figured that if I hadn't gone back to those hobbies in the last 5 years, I was unlikely to ever go back to them. It did seem overwhelming to know where to start to have a major purge, but my advice to you babe54 is to pull out stuff that only relates to one hobby at a time - otherwise you will feel like you are drowning. I set myself up with 3 boxes - 1 is for donating, 1 is for throwing out and the other for selling. I have given myself a time limit for selling and if I don't sell it within 2 months, it goes to charity.

Even some of my current hobbies, I have thinned out what I want to keep (I had lots of kits for stitcheries, cloth dolls, cross-stitch etc.) but your taste does change over time and you will find that you might not love something as much as you did when you first bought it. I always felt like I shouldn't purge really good stuff because it cost me money to get it in the first place and what if I needed it later on? I think I felt guilty like I was throwing money away but I never have "needed" those things I have got rid of. Today I got rid of 2 big boxes of dressmaking materials, embroidery kits and threads, ribbon and lace which my niece took as she is very crafty and she was rapt! And I feel so happy

Just start small babe54 - you will get there in the end. Hope this helps

My Gallery My Blog

Old 11-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #69
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks Jo,
Your words give me encouragement and make me feel like I can get through this. When I find myself getting overwhelmed I will keep repeating to myself "small steps".
Old 11-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #70
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe54 View Post
Thanks Jo,
Your words give me encouragement and make me feel like I can get through this. When I find myself getting overwhelmed I will keep repeating to myself "small steps".
You CAN get through it babe54. It does take time to sort through things though - I have been doing it for about 6 weeks - and just went through one hobby at a time like I suggested above - plus I have been sorting through my 9 year old's things with her and she has been great at wanting to donate things to charity. In my mind I thought that maybe it would take a few days! As I had my first big pile of stuff packed up, I rang a charity collector who came and picked up my first load. After they picked it up, I felt so much better and less overwhelmed and it encouraged me to keep going.

My Gallery My Blog

Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #71
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks Jo,
Going to look into places to donate some stuff and refrain myself from future shopping.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #72
Mad Swapper

We moved a couple of months ago, and I am determined to seriously pare down my craft stuff. I boxed all of my craft stuff up in old copy paper boxes or large rubbermaid bins, not caring whether they were organized, because I knew it would force me to purge when I unpacked.

I looked at the size of the room, figured out how to arrange only my existing shelving (which is actually quite considerable, once I reclaimed the cabinets that had been originally purchased for housing craft stuff but somehow ended up being used as pantries!)

I then laid out my storage containers on the shelves, so that each shelf contains a full set of matched containers (even though each shelf is different, it still looks neater than way). Each container got a sticky note - MT for "empty", or a label of what was already inside it.

I had an old rolling scrapbook tote that I was preparing to get rid of, but I brought it along. One of the first things I did was to pull out ALL of my paper, and go through it, sheet by sheet. I only kept things that I love. The rest went into the rolling scrap tote, which I labeled "homeless paper" and promptly moved downstairs. It is still looking for "a good home" to render it non-homeless again, but at least in the meantime, it's out of my stuff and now all of my 12x12 paper fits into a single cube drawer. (Of course, there are 2 milk crates with hanging files of letter size card stock, but that's different...)

As I have unpacked boxes, I have updated the sticky note labels (and in some cases applied less temporary labels from my label maker). I still have several containers (photo storage boxes, plastic shoe boxes, cd size milk crates, fabric cube bins) which are either mostly or completely empty, but I also have several boxes to finish going through. I keep an empty tote at hand - if I don't love something, don't remember when I last used it, or can't think of something to do with it, then it goes into the big tote. When the tote gets full, it is then full of homeless craft supplies. I have grandchildren, and friends who have slightly older children, too. The supplies are then gifted to them - they get the fun of rummaging through and finding new treasures and ideas. Anything left over is then donated to a scouting troup, or after school/art program, or anything else anyone can think of.

I almost never try to sell it - craft rummages don't seem to go well in our area. I did donate some tools to an LSS for the tool tables (no idea what happened to those things when she closed, either), but mostly, I feel better knowing it is going to be used and enjoyed, better than I would knowing I got a few extra dollars.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #73
Glitter Guru

A week ago, I was starting to feel a little overwhelmed because when you do a major purge, things look waaay worse than before you started, but I booked a pick-up from my local charity group for last Tuesday which gave me a deadline to meet. So with renewed enthusiasm, I finished the purge (this is my 2nd one in the past few months) and I now have space - lovely, open space that I can dance around in (and yes, I did dance ) and I feel liberated! It's a wonderful feeling!

My Gallery My Blog

Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

this thread made me break into a cold sweat... Luckily I don't have a room to declutter... unluckily I'm trying to organize and make my stuff fit in the family room.

I have learnt to let go of the really small bits of paper/cardstock that I was saving to get a blender and make my own paper with the scraps...
Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #75
Stazon Splitcoast

This "purging" felt so good that I have started "purging" the whole house!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #76
Stazon Splitcoast

Ugly paper answer? especially if you have a digital cutter - Envelope and liner free template! Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog
Old 12-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #77
Stazon Splitcoast

going to work really hard and NOT buy this coming year....less is MORE....use what I have....I CAN and WILL do it!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 AM   #78
Stazon Splitcoast

Enablers I am NOT going to listen no more! (ears plugged...I don't hear you)
I did that when I purchased the Copics....I should have not listened and been influenced!
...but on the POSITIVE note ....I do love them and thank goodness for a lot of coupons from Mike's, Hobby Lobby and JoAnns'.

Last edited by Rosiebudstamp; 12-06-2012 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: cont.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #79
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiebudstamp View Post
Enablers I am NOT going to listen no more! (ears plugged...I don't hear you)
I did that when I purchased the Copics....I should have not listened and been influenced!
...but on the POSITIVE note ....I do love them and thank goodness for a lot of coupons from Mike's, Hobby Lobby and JoAnns'.
I love my copics. Worth every penny.

I know what you mean. I would love the newest digital cutter everyone is getting but I don't use what I have AND it still works so I don't get to get that - simple! but OMG I really WANT one.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #80
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
I love my copics. Worth every penny.

I know what you mean. I would love the newest digital cutter everyone is getting but I don't use what I have AND it still works so I don't get to get that - simple! but OMG I really WANT one.