Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By TeaDub Design
  • 1 Post By gale
  • 1 Post By KoffeeKat
  • 1 Post By jukie
  • 1 Post By kaspring
  • 1 Post By stampinwizard
  • 1 Post By gale
  • 1 Post By gregzgurl
  • 3 Post By gregzgurl
  • 2 Post By Cindy Littler

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Forum Fanatic

Exclamation Please share your ideas for hidden storage

My new craft room will be in a room that isn't really closed off. It's a room, but it's meant to be a family room so there's no door and anyone using the bathroom would walk through it. So I want to have it looking nice and easy to put things away. I don't mind having a few things out. My trimmer and my inkpads will be out in the open, as will my sewing machine, silhouette, laptop and printer. I'd like to have as much of the rest of it as hidden as possible. I have a lot of jetmax cubes, mostly with drawers, so that will hold some of it. I don't mind my 12 x 12 paper being visible since it doesn't look too bad (I have jetmax cubes with vertical storage for them) and I don't mind books/magazines out as long as they're all put away nicely. My original plan is to have the walls clear to put artwork and such on so I would rather avoid upper cabinets but I wouldn't mind having one or two small ones if they're ultra efficient. If you have hidden storage or have ideas pinned or bookmarked, please share! thanks!

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Insane Embellisher

Simple answer is drawers. I don't like stuff being out either and stamp at my sewing machine table so I use the drawers in the sewing cabinet for tools and have several of the Sterlite 3 drawer units for other tools, stamp sets and punches.. I use a couple of wall shelves right next to the sewing desk for paper and ink pad storage.I also use part of our office grade filing cabinet for extra cardstock.

If you really want everything hidden then you'll need cabinets with doors.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Forum Fanatic

thanks-I do have a lot of drawers but am hoping for different ideas and maybe some pictures. Baskets, boxes, etc. Decorative stuff that can hold things. I also have iris carts and don't like the look of them so I don't know yet if I'll replace them or make curtains or something to cover them up. So far I haven't found anything else with the same efficiency. All the drawer units I've found in the same size do not have the right size drawers for my needs like the iris carts do.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Cardstock Collector

There are many that craft that turn to the Expedit series from IKEA.

Search result - IKEA

Not sure if you live near one or wanting to invest in this type of storage but it's very versatile with room to customize it however you want. If not, you might find someone selling it on Craigslist locally. You have the option to add to each cubicle a door or drawers. The optional desk attachment looks cool to add to the shelving unit.

In passing while blog surfing a while back, I've seen an all-around crafter that also sews use a few of the huge Expedit shelving units as different stations to store all her crafting supplies. I'll have to see if I can find a pic...

If the Expedit series is not your cup of tea, IKEA has other various series that might work out better for you.

Good luck!
P.S. Checked out your blog and I too love the pink and Hello Kitty!
A Muse Studio Creative Consultant #1010
TeaDub Design Blog

Last edited by TeaDub Design; 07-01-2013 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: added more text
GramMcCaul likes this post.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
Forum Fanatic

Unfortunately no Ikea here. However, I could probably make an expedit style shelf without a ton of trouble. I'm going to make myself a cutting table for sewing and the bottom portion will be cube type shelves like the expedit-but sized to fit my spare machines and those martha bins from home depot.

does anyone know of an ink holder that has a door? LOL

Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Crimping Master

How about this? Product Page
Old 07-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Die Cut Diva

What about something like this or similar by using a book case and baskets

Jana Z likes this post.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Kookie Creator

Would and computer or TV armoire work for the supplies you need to store away?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Skype™ to stampinwizard
Default Craftroom storage

Gorge Crafter: Organizing My Craftroom, A Work In Progress!

I have some boxes with lids I use such as cd or DVD cases to store things in. Hope looking at my Craftroom helps give you some ideas, itis a work in progress.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #10
Insane Embellisher

I use the craft/photo boxes (from Michaels) a lot for storing things in my craft area, as I have a lot of open shelves and it is in my bedroom. They are neat and can stack. I did all of mine in white at first, and have now added some black. I found I can also add little personal items on and around them.

Lately I have been collecting picnic baskets and old small suitcases to use as storage too - loving the vintage look and they can been stacked. They could also be spray painted to make your look more cohesive (haven't done that yet, but I might!).
Old 07-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Forum Fanatic

Love the idea of picnic baskets and suitcases!!

Jana Z likes this post.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
Watercolor Wizard

My problem is two-fold: I want everything nicely corralled and/or not readily visible, but I also want it readily accessible. I LOVE the look of vintage suitcases, picnic baskets, etc., but the constantly having to stack/unstack/open/close issues would make me crazy in a New York minute! I'm currently using THESE SHELVES with THESE DRAWER UNITS tucked into them - not completely hideous, and workable - for now, anyway. My goal is to make a unit like Diane (fionna51) has with the Sterilite drawers inside a cabinet/armoire unit. Meanwhile, I've attached a pic of what I've currently got goin' on...
Attached Thumbnails
storage-shelves.jpg  

RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post
My problem is two-fold: I want everything nicely corralled and/or not readily visible, but I also want it readily accessible. I LOVE the look of vintage suitcases, picnic baskets, etc., but the constantly having to stack/unstack/open/close issues would make me crazy in a New York minute! I'm currently using THESE SHELVES with THESE DRAWER UNITS tucked into them - not completely hideous, and workable - for now, anyway. My goal is to make a unit like Diane (fionna51) has with the Sterilite drawers inside a cabinet/armoire unit. Meanwhile, I've attached a pic of what I've currently got goin' on...
Hi. Can you please tell me if the black bookcase that is sitting on top of the cubes in your photo is attached to the wall or attached to anything? I was thinking of doing a 'stack' like this, but I wondered if i'd need to attach it to anything.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfInkland View Post
Hi. Can you please tell me if the black bookcase that is sitting on top of the cubes in your photo is attached to the wall or attached to anything? I was thinking of doing a 'stack' like this, but I wondered if i'd need to attach it to anything.
Nope - just spanning three of the smaller shelf units - very sturdy and no danger of tipping that I've been able to detect!

Old 07-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Unfortunately no Ikea here. However, I could probably make an expedit style shelf without a ton of trouble. I'm going to make myself a cutting table for sewing and the bottom portion will be cube type shelves like the expedit-but sized to fit my spare machines and those martha bins from home depot.

does anyone know of an ink holder that has a door? LOL
If you have an inkpad holder that the inkpads sit all the way back in, it shouldn't be that difficult to add a piano hinge and a door. Would be a great way to add artwork/noteboard to the space.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Nice set up! I too love the look of all the vintage containers, but would also be driven crazy by unstacking them every time I wanted something.

Looking at your drawer units, maybe you could slide some patterned paper (or even just plain colored cardstock) in the front of each drawer to make a smoother look.

My Blog: Purple Place Designs
My Etsy
Old 07-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #17
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
If you have an inkpad holder that the inkpads sit all the way back in, it shouldn't be that difficult to add a piano hinge and a door. Would be a great way to add artwork/noteboard to the space.
I have been looking at inkpad holders and it looks like they stick out on all of them. I might just leave it out without it being covered.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #18
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I have been looking at inkpad holders and it looks like they stick out on all of them. I might just leave it out without it being covered.
I don't want to look at all of my inkpads, either. I'm thinking of adapting the idea in the pic below to hold ink pads instead of the blenders/refills. The SU! pads will have to go in sideways, but all the rest seem like they'll fit going straight in... This is where I found the image: Scraproom: Innovation!

gale, Jana Z and GramMcCaul like this post.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
Forum Fanatic

hm that's interesting. I already have some of those 3 drawer cubes too.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
Kookie Creator

Talking

Quote:
Sue, I like how the plastic holders fit inside the shelves. They look like they were made for it. I have a lot of plastic holders as I try and keep everything in them and dust free. I always say that if we have a house fire, my craft room won't burn, it will melt.
Cindy
gregzgurl and ceramicat1 like this post.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
Matboard Maniac

I also like the Michael's photo boxes. I can store a lot in them. And there are some very plain ones.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #22
Forum Fanatic

I have a lot of photo boxes but all different colors. I've tried covering them with paper but it doesn't hold up. Has anyone tried other ways? Paint, maybe? Or contact paper might be better.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #23
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I have a lot of photo boxes but all different colors. I've tried covering them with paper but it doesn't hold up. Has anyone tried other ways? Paint, maybe? Or contact paper might be better.
I say line 'em up and spray paint 'em! Alternately, you could try wallpaper - I covered a CD box with some back in 1995, and it's still stuck on there! A lot of places that sell wallpaper will give you their discontinued sample books for free, and they might be big enough pieces to cover a box...

Old 07-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #24
Crimping Master

How about using fabric and sticking it on with contact spray?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #25
Forum Fanatic

Using fabric would cost as much as buying all new matching boxes, I think. At least it would if I use the fabric I want to use. I might try some spray paint though.

Last edited by gale; 07-23-2013 at 06:53 PM..
Old 07-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #26
Crimping Master

I suppose that depends on where you can get fabric from.

You could just cover the fronts...
Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #27
Forum Fanatic

I actually have plenty but the idea of doing all that pushes me to buy new if I wanted to use photo boxes. I'd have to cover the whole thing (they wouldn't be in a place where the sides wouldn't show).

Old 07-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #28
Stazon Splitcoast

This whole dilemma is why I didn't buy photoboxes. A couple of patterns is ok, but I knew more than that would drive me to distraction.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 07-24-2013 at 05:02 AM..
Old 07-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #29
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
This whole dilemma is why I didn't buy photoboxes. A couple of patterns is ok, but I knew more than that would drive me to distraction.
I always buy the white ones...

Old 07-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #30
Forum Fanatic

Smart. I wish I'd bought white. I think when I bought them, they were on sale and there weren't a lot of choices. I may buy all new and give my old ones to my kids for storing their stuff. Win win.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #31
Kookie Creator

Quote:
I have mine in the open, the are arranged in roygbiv and I think they look nice. I too am thinking about moving my craft area to a mostly unused family room, but my hubby is afraid having all my stuff visible to visitors will bug me.

It might be fun? To cover your photo boxes in chalk paint, then you could write the contents on the outside.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #32
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I always buy the white ones...
Me too! I have completely stayed away from patterned ones but I do also have black ones.

Most of the storage options in my space are white - and then I have added colour with smaller items and labels. There are a couple of photos in my gallery (that's about all there is there - lol!). When I took them, all my accents were orange, but now they are turquoise. Easy (and cheap!) to change the look a little when it is just paper.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #33
Stazon Splitcoast

As I'm reading this you ladies have some great ideas.

Since Gale is looking to hang pictures What about using some wall mounted shelves with pictures attached to the front of boxes or bins. Certainly not all over the room but in small doses. You could, and no I don't have pics so you'll have to use your imagination, hang a 2 shelf unit or narrow (8-10 inches) cabinet with a door for storing whatever and add a picture to the door of the cabinet. The picture doesn't stick out way too far and the cabinet becomes more of a piece of art that just happens to hold your supplies. jat
Old 07-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #34
Stazon Splitcoast

While I'm thinking about it if you use lots of ribbons/fibers or thread in your paper crafts and sewing you could use a very narrow shelf (with a lip on it) to hold those items much like a border around the room or down one wall. I have mine in an old electric heating register cover. I sang the rainbow song as I put them in place. You know "red and yellow and pink and green, purple and orange and blue..."
Old 07-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #35
Crimping Master

Is adding a closet an option? I have everything on shelves in the closet......Unless I am working on a project, no one would know I have so much stuff!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #36
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8cards View Post
Is adding a closet an option? I have everything on shelves in the closet......Unless I am working on a project, no one would know I have so much stuff!
To add to that idea - is it possible to built a closet that covers an whole wall then built a work station inside that closet (kind of like a closet office) then you could put shelves, ribbon racks, cafe rods to punches and all kinds of cool things like that.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #37
Forum Fanatic

Adding a closet isn't an option. I need the floor space for all of my furniture and storage that I already have. But the covered shelves idea might be! Like a bathroom medicine cabinet, only with a decoration or picture on it instead of a mirror. Great idea! Also, in line with the closet idea, maybe a screened off corner and I could put some storage behind the screen. Not sure if I have room for that but definitely something to consider.