Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting a CLip it up??

So I am REALLY contemplating getting the Simply Renee All in one clip it up organizer for the plethora of supplies I have. While the black does NOT go with my streamline white decor in my craft room, I am contemplating getting this and painting it white.

My question is, if anybody has tried this and what paint did you use?? Also does the paint rub off over time???

I want this to be a permanent storage solution and for the amount of money I am going to be spending on it I want to have painting it be also a permanent option. Thanks so much for your feedback in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
Painting a CLip it up??-image%5B39%5D.png  

http://lilcraftdiddles.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I've spray painted pretty much everything so I don't see why you couldn't. I always spray it with Kilz primer first and then follow with a couple of coats of Rustoleum in whatever color. Word of caution: read and FOLLOW the directions - i.e., if it says to put the second coat on within 10 minutes or wait 24 hours, don't put the second coat on after 20 minutes. Otherwise the paint bubbles up and it's a mess and you have to sand it all off and start over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 05:21 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I concur - primer and paint, both in spray form. Should be just fine, and won't wear off if you follow the directions and do it right the first time

Extra tidbit: Do multiple THIN coats to get the best finish. It will look terrible the first couple of passes, but you will be much, MUCH happier with the end result!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

From the look of the pictures, the black parts are plastic? If so, make sure your primer is a specialty plastic primer spray...otherwise your paint will rub off eventually. The paint you use on top of the primer can then be any kind. If possible, I would not paint the chrome rings that your swivel clips will roll around on...I think eventually this paint will start chip or at least start to look worn. If you don't mind the worn look, then go ahead! It could make for a nice vintage-y looking craft room if that's what you're going for.

My craft room is mostly white and I have painted wood, plastic, metal...you name it...to match...but I don't have one of these...jealous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieWillsView Post
From the look of the pictures, the black parts are plastic? If so, make sure your primer is a specialty plastic primer spray...otherwise your paint will rub off eventually. The paint you use on top of the primer can then be any kind. If possible, I would not paint the chrome rings that your swivel clips will roll around on...I think eventually this paint will start chip or at least start to look worn. If you don't mind the worn look, then go ahead! It could make for a nice vintage-y looking craft room if that's what you're going for.

My craft room is mostly white and I have painted wood, plastic, metal...you name it...to match...but I don't have one of these...jealous!
Annie makes a couple of excellent points, but I especially agree with leaving the chrome rings unpainted. Just wrap them with painter's tape while you're spraying everything else...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the tips gals!!!!! I'm kind've afraid to paint it but if I don't then it'll stick out like a sore thumb!!!!!

http://lilcraftdiddles.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just went to the website to scope a couple of things and here are a couple of other thoughts: The FAQ section states that the frames are made of injection-molded plastic, and that the only problem they've had with breakage is from overtightening, which led me to believe two things: 1) you have to assemble it yourself, so you could paint the black parts before assembly, thereby eliminating the need to tape anything you did not want white; 2) Krylon Fusion is intended for plastic, so you may not even need primer. You'd just need to do thin, even (as much as possible) coats until you got the coverage that you were looking for. I say go for it! You'll never be happy with it "as is", and think how accomplished you'll feel after you've successfully painted it! If you wanted to practice on a plastic flowerpot or something to get a feel for the painting process, that might build your confidence a bit... YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Reply With Quote Likes