Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Organizing dies and embossing folders...arrrgg

Please tell me that there is a binder or something that will hold all the different brands of dies and embossing folders. I bought one from Cuttlebug, however, it only holds their small dies. It doesn't even hold their embossing folders. I am tired of digging through a box to find a die. Please tell me there is something out there to help me get them organized.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 01:58 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I bought a folder and then filled it with Kaiser zipper slips 5 or 6 in a pack then put the folders in those (2 per slip)and for the dies I have a sheet of magnetic sheeting and the dies stay on them and then they go in another Kaiser slip.Does that make sense.I hope so.It makes sense to me anyway.Lol.Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 05:17 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

I use a cd holder. The ones that zip around 3 sides. If you get the size that holds 2 or 4 per sheet then your embossing folders fit in there perfectly and you just zip everything up. I put strips if magnet onto cardboard so my nesties would have something to cli g to and not flop around. Then put the cardboard piece in the cd slot. It's super easy and I expensive. You may even have one laying around. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 06:07 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by DellsDaniView Post
Please tell me that there is a binder or something that will hold all the different brands of dies and embossing folders. I bought one from Cuttlebug, however, it only holds their small dies. It doesn't even hold their embossing folders. I am tired of digging through a box to find a die. Please tell me there is something out there to help me get them organized.
I used to have the Cuttlebug zipper case. There are different page configurations available to hold embossing folders and larger dies.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought a photo album that holds 5 X 7 pictures. That holds the folders nicely. I made one for my holiday folders and one for everyday folders. It was a little hard to find albums for 5 & 7 but found them in Walmart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I want to be able to grab my embossing folders quickly. I KNOW that I would not be loyal about putting them back in pockets or folders. I store mine in a recipe box I got at Michael's for a buck! They fit perfectly and I can flip through them fast to find the one I want.

For the small Cuttlebug dies - I store them in a small box (again found in the dollar bin at Michael's.) I store them on their side so I can flip through them. It's all about finding that perfect box or container. LOL

For Nestabilites - I attached them to magnet sheets (Magnetic vent covers found at Lowes or Home Depot). I cut the magnet sheets to fit perfect inside recycled VHS tape cases. The cases are clear and about an inch deep (much better than CD jewel cases.) I can store several sets of Nesties in just one VHS case!

I hope this helps. This system works great for me. Just thought I'd share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 09:25 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Wow thank you for all the wonderful ideas. I would have never thought of the magnetic idea. Thanks

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonpie11View Post
I want to be able to grab my embossing folders quickly. I KNOW that I would not be loyal about putting them back in pockets or folders.
Yep, I had 4 of the fancy Cuttlebug zippered cases but I was lazy about putting things back so I usually didn't even bother getting them out. I sold the cases and inserts and went really simple. The embossing folders are now standing in a simple box I picked up at Michaels and love it. The small dies are in a drawer divider from Target (home organization area). It has three sections that are a perfect fit for the small dies.

I have nesties on magnetic sheets attached to cardboard and standing in another box.

Everything is so easy now to get out and put away.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Yep you have to love a box dont you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Joy, I too have the fancy, expensive zipper case for the cuttlebug dies. It is so useless. I love the ideas ya'll are giving me. I am a bit confused about the magnetic strip thing...but I am sure I will figure it out. Thank you again for all the wonderful ideas.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

The magnetic strips I use come from a craft store and they come in a pack of 2 they sell for about $5.00 and they are about 6x8 inches in size ,remember I am in Australia so you should be able to get them cheaper.If you cut them in half they will probably hold 1 set of nestabilities each.It is the magnetic stuff they use for fridge magnets does that help.Maybe a printer would sell you some they make fridge magnets dont they/Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I think using magnetic strips or full sheets is a personal preference. I tried just a couple of strips on the cardboard but didn't like it as well as having the whole sheet on the cardboard. Office supply stores sell packages of 8 1/2 x 11 magnetic sheets. I cut each sheet into 4 pices and they are the perfect size. Hardware or home improvement stores sell magnetic covers for vents and you cut them to whatever size you want.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

I don't think I explained myself. I understand what the magnetic strip is I am just not sure what to do with it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

the dies attach to the magnetic strips
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by DellsDaniView Post
I don't think I explained myself. I understand what the magnetic strip is I am just not sure what to do with it.
Here ya go, Dani. I just added 3 photos so you can see. Hope this helps.

Nestabilities Storage & Organization by moonpie11 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Nestabilities Storage & Organization by moonpie11 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

[everyojjlnddd and put a job in,,that's just weonfg.my recB]Moon, thank you so much. Yes, the pictures were very helpful. I love it. Do you know if the smaller silver dies will work in there too? The ones that look like a file folder with atah/fffffffffffff[/B]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2010, 02:46 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Because they are all made of steel, any dies including quickutz, sizzix, cuttlebug, etc. will stick to the magnets. I also use a magnet system. From Staples I ordered the 5x8 index cards (A-Z) in the heavier blue cardboard vs. the manila and attached sheets of magnet to each of those that nearly covers the entire surface. You can see them HERE. They didn't carry them in the store so I had to order them online, however, you get free shipping if you have them deliver the product to the store for pick up. They were there the very next day! Since I have so many dies, I am now working on a second set of index cards so I plan to cover the A-Z tabs with numbers and catalog everything. As for magnetic sheets, they can get quite expensive. I ended up buying large packets of sheets from Oriental Trading as seen HERE. Although as others have said, you can buy them at the craft stores and in the hardware stores (vent covers). Then I just place all my index cards in a bin that I have that fits them perfectly and can flip through quickly and find what I want. I do this primarly for my nesties and other dies. I don't store my Quickutz 2x2 dies this way as they are in a binder with the sheet protectors for slides. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2010, 03:00 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

BBgirl, is it possible for you to put a pic of your container up? All I can picture is the blue index cards in a shoebox with the dies on the magnet sheets and because the sheets are heavy they just slide down into the box.Thank you so much for putting the links up. I love oriental trade. hehe..Once I find out what kind of container you are using then I think I will order them. I love the index cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2010, 03:16 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Dani,
I'd be happy to. Unfortunately, I've never posted a pic but sure I can figure it out. Don't have one on the ready and heading out soon but will try to post one this evening. That's why I use a full sheet of magnet...so the bond is stronger and the dies don't slide down. I've got a couple of containers that work. Right now I am using a chicken wire bin that I got at TJMaxx/Homegoods. If you have as many as I do...it can get quite heavy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Oh please do try to upload it. I would love to see it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Dani, I really love the different storage sleeves that Haley Jo of CropStop carries. You can see them here (link to first page - there are three pages total):

Storage Sleeves : Crop Stop!, Your one-stop cropping solution

They are made for different size/brands of dies and embossing folders, but they all fit into a standard 3-ring binder. I found her prices to be really reasonable too. I have one 3" notebook that holds all my Cuttlebug alphabet dies, a second that holds all my non-alphabet dies, and another that holds all of my embossing folders.

Hope this helps. And if not, that you find the solution that's best for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

OK Dani...here's my attempt to link you to my first SCS album. CLICK HERE. I forgot that I had changed the container that they are in. I found this metal bin also at a TJMaxx-type store and because it has handles, it is easier to carry since like I mentioned...it is quite heavy! Good luck with your search for what works for you. As for my embossing folders, I have them in a smaller bin and just flip through them just like I have the cards in this bin...only without any divider cards. I should label them to help me find them easier. Patter Cross (Triple the Scraps) is an organizational guru. Here's a link to her blog's organizational topic.
~bb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I'd also like to add that I too have ordered the divided page protectors from Crop Stop like above poster, Valeria. They are a great company. I use their pages for storing my 2x2 Quickutz dies and I also use the 4 divisions per page that stores four A2 cards beautifully! It's a matter of preference and your storage limitations. Binders are great too when you don't have much counter space. My long 12" border dies are just stored in a tall glass jar/vase. Not much of a system but it works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you so much. This is what I need to do only on a smaller scale. I don't have as many as you do. But yes this will work for me. Thank you. I will also check out the place you and Valerie mentioned. Thank you to both of you. Hugs
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbgirl66View Post
OK Dani...here's my attempt to link you to my first SCS album. CLICK HERE. I forgot that I had changed the container that they are in. I found this metal bin also at a TJMaxx-type store and because it has handles, it is easier to carry since like I mentioned...it is quite heavy! Good luck with your search for what works for you. As for my embossing folders, I have them in a smaller bin and just flip through them just like I have the cards in this bin...only without any divider cards. I should label them to help me find them easier. Patter Cross (Triple the Scraps) is an organizational guru. Here's a link to her blog's organizational topic.
~bb

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #25  

Well, I ordered some 8 1/2 x 11" magnet sheets with adhesive backs from Oriental Trader. Then I stuck them to the wall in my craft room that sits in front of where I die cut. Most of my spellbinders dies fit right on the wall now! Its very handy and saved a ton of space! Here is a link to a blog post I did about my storage plus it has a picture!

http://www.debbieseyer.com/my_weblog...celebrate

Last edited by debbiemom23cs; 11-16-2010 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: Added link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I've seen that too and love it! I know others adhere the sheets inside cabinet doors if they have them in their craft space. For me...having them in the bin is helpful to transport them to friends' houses for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #27  

Quote:

I've seen that too and love it! I know others adhere the sheets inside cabinet doors if they have them in their craft space. For me...having them in the bin is helpful to transport them to friends' houses for sharing.

For some reason, all my stamping friends want to come to MY house!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Most of my friends have small kiddos so going to their house is easier for them...although for me...it means lugging all my stuff! Ugh. Well get ready for the rush of requests to come to YOUR house! I saw (on your blog) that brand spankin' new Spellbinders Grand Calibur that you just got! I think I'm gonna have to give in to that one too. Those grand nestabilities look so fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Holy Die Fest. Dang girl you have alot of dies. I have like 2 sets and maybe 10 individual ones. I love the wall of dies. hehe
Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
Well, I ordered some 8 1/2 x 11" magnet sheets with adhesive backs from Oriental Trader. Then I stuck them to the wall in my craft room that sits in front of where I die cut. Most of my spellbinders dies fit right on the wall now! Its very handy and saved a ton of space! Here is a link to a blog post I did about my storage plus it has a picture!

A Peek Into My Stamping Room: Celebrate!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

She's got me beat! I too have die envy! BTW, Debbie, what's the die (in your most recent post about your new Grand Calibur) just above the machine on the right? It looks like a window pane with a fancy edge design? I'm intrigued!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Right...lol..I wish I had a quarter of her dies.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #32  

Quote:

She's got me beat! I too have die envy! BTW, Debbie, what's the die (in your most recent post about your new Grand Calibur) just above the machine on the right? It looks like a window pane with a fancy edge design? I'm intrigued!

Oops!:oops:

It's a sneaky peek I wasn't supposed to show! Check it out on Black Friday on my blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Sshhhh...won't say a word and can't wait til next Friday! Sorry to be so observant!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Mine all fit in one little tupperware, but if I buy one more I am out of luck and will need to rethink things. Maybe this problem will save me money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

I finally figured out storage for my cuttlebug embossing folders and dies. I bought a cheap is neat coupon organizer. The folders fit in it perfectly. Then for my dies I bought a large accordian file. It has handles on it and several pouches inside. So I put my dies on magnetic sheets that I found at a bargin buy type store. I put my dies on the magnetic sheet and then put the magnetic sheet (with dies on it) inside a sheet protector sleeve then file it in the accordian folder. It's also nice when you want to bring your stuff with you somewhere. I can put pics up if anyone wants to see them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

please do I would love to see them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #37  
Proud Fan Club Member

These are the accordian file holders when they are CLOSED

This is the accordian folder I use for my embossing folders

This is the accordian folder that I use for my dies (it also shows the dies on the magnetic sheets inside their protective sleeves)

I hope this helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #38  
Compulsive Stamper

very cute. I like the colors you picked!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

I love the coupon organizer for your embossing folders. I might have to try that one! Thanks for sharing your photos. Glad you found something that works for you. Organizing our craft supplies is as much fun as the crafting itself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 05:29 AM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

Location: New Jersey....but born and raised in TEXAS originally.
Default organizing embossing folders

I don't have a BIG bunch of folders...yet....so I have mine stored in a cheap plastic box from Five Below store. They are organized by Misc, Christmas/winter, Birthday, etc.. i just used the cardboard from an embossing folder as my dividers with the category written on it...nothing fancy.
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing dies and embossing folders...arrrgg-embossing-folder-box.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes