Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Stamp Index Binder System

I spent a long time creating 2 binders to completely index and organize my stamps.

Name:  stampindexoutside_zpsa781f064.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  25.1 KB

I have a full video here on Youtube explaining this in more detail, but I will try to type out the basic idea here.

The first binder is very straight forward. It is simply a page for each of my stamp sets, listed in alphabetical order first by company and then within each company by name of the set. This is how I store my stamps as well, in DVD cases. I went ahead and did this binder so I can browse entire sets together any time I like.

The second binder is more unique and was more involved. I have it divided into 5 sections.

Seasonal and Holiday Sentiments
Sentiments
Seasonal and Holiday Images
Images
Basics

Within each category I have several pages that are specifically categorized.

For example the categories in my Seasonal and Holiday Sentiments section are as follows.

Valentine & Love
Spring
Flowers
Easter
Summer
Fall
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Winter
Christmas
Other Holidays

Here is an example of one of the pages open, to the flowers page in my images

Name:  stampindexinside_zps3bc32fcb.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  20.2 KB

On each page I stamp every stamp I have that fits in the category. It is perfectly fine with me to have stamps in 2-3 categories and I actually found that helpful in many cases. I draw a circle around all the stamps from one set in a category and then label it with the company and set name. This was helpful because some sets may have multiple sentiments in one category, but it works just as well for a single stamp. I squeezed as many as I could fit on each page front and back. When needed I added additional pages behind the original.

Why would I take the time to do all this? Several reasons.

One of the main things is that when I am ordering new stamps I can better compare what I am considering purchasing to what I already have. Sure a list of what I own prevents exact duplicates, but this more specific method ensures I will not buy a heart stamp almost exactly like one I have from another company.

This helps me find my stamps much more quickly, and avoid overlooking a stamp that is sort of "hidden" within a set. Some stamps that I find very versatile came with an image stamp and I might easily forget about it completely if it weren't for my binder.

It also helps me use my stamps in new ways. For example in one of my Halloween sets I found a cute little moon and stars. It occurred to me that this would be an adorable image on a baby card and I would never go looking in my Halloween sets when making a baby card. Now that stamp is also in my baby images category so I will always remember I have it when making baby cards. Any stamps I didn't think of this way while first making my binder can always be added to additional categories later if I find new and interesting ways to use them.

I hope this has given you a basic idea.

The video is really helpful because I show you inside the binders and give you lots more examples. So far as I know I can't embed a video in this post. If I am wrong please let me know and I will embed it here directly. Otherwise you can view it here on Youtube.

I hope some of you may find this idea helpful! I have invested a lot in my collection. It was important to me to be able to use it to the fullest and save time when creating.

It was a lot of work to complete but I have found it well worth it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

That is awesome! I have all mine in a binder also but it's not nearly as pretty as yours, and I do need to categorize it more. As soon as I get home from work, I'm going to watch the video. (I'd get home a lot sooner if I'd stop goofing off and actually do some work.) TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 325 Likes on 228 Posts

Fabulous! I was just thinking about doing something like this! Glad to see someone made it work. It's inspiring me to get in gear and do it. I'll watch the You Tube video. Thanks for sharing!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Great minds think alike!

I have this quirk... I must stamp any new images in black before I put them away. A few days ago it dawned on me to just get them organized (VERY similar to yours) and my quirk turns into an organizational habit. Ohhh, the twist

The only differences I see in our systems is that I write my location of that stamp in pencil, just in case I decide to organize a different way someday.

Now I need to get the pages filled up like yours! TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stayingcraftyView Post
I spent a long time creating 2 binders to completely index and organize my stamps.

I have a full video here on Youtube explaining this in more detail, but I will try to type out the basic idea here.

The first binder is very straight forward. It is simply a page for each of my stamp sets, listed in alphabetical order first by company and then within each company by name of the set. This is how I store my stamps as well, in DVD cases. I went ahead and did this binder so I can browse entire sets together any time I like.

The second binder is more unique and was more involved. I have it divided into 5 sections.

Seasonal and Holiday Sentiments
Sentiments
Seasonal and Holiday Images
Images
Basics

Within each category I have several pages that are specifically categorized.

For example the categories in my Seasonal and Holiday Sentiments section are as follows.

Valentine & Love
Spring
Flowers
Easter
Summer
Fall
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Winter
Christmas
Other Holidays

Here is an example of one of the pages open, to the flowers page in my images

On each page I stamp every stamp I have that fits in the category. It is perfectly fine with me to have stamps in 2-3 categories and I actually found that helpful in many cases. I draw a circle around all the stamps from one set in a category and then label it with the company and set name. This was helpful because some sets may have multiple sentiments in one category, but it works just as well for a single stamp. I squeezed as many as I could fit on each page front and back. When needed I added additional pages behind the original.

Why would I take the time to do all this? Several reasons.

One of the main things is that when I am ordering new stamps I can better compare what I am considering purchasing to what I already have. Sure a list of what I own prevents exact duplicates, but this more specific method ensures I will not buy a heart stamp almost exactly like one I have from another company.

This helps me find my stamps much more quickly, and avoid overlooking a stamp that is sort of "hidden" within a set. Some stamps that I find very versatile came with an image stamp and I might easily forget about it completely if it weren't for my binder.

It also helps me use my stamps in new ways. For example in one of my Halloween sets I found a cute little moon and stars. It occurred to me that this would be an adorable image on a baby card and I would never go looking in my Halloween sets when making a baby card. Now that stamp is also in my baby images category so I will always remember I have it when making baby cards. Any stamps I didn't think of this way while first making my binder can always be added to additional categories later if I find new and interesting ways to use them.

I hope this has given you a basic idea.

The video is really helpful because I show you inside the binders and give you lots more examples. So far as I know I can't embed a video in this post. If I am wrong please let me know and I will embed it here directly. Otherwise you can view it here on Youtube.

I hope some of you may find this idea helpful! I have invested a lot in my collection. It was important to me to be able to use it to the fullest and save time when creating.

It was a lot of work to complete but I have found it well worth it.

I am at work so I can not view the video until I get home, but I just wanted to say from your description, this is what I am doing at the moment I have different categories but I have one binder with the full sets in Company order, then I have another binder with my categories and I am stamping each stamp in relevant categories.

I decided to do it this way as I know my brain! Sometimes I want a certain look that a company has, othertimes I have a theme in mind, so doing it this way allows me to look things up depending on if I am doing it by 'the look' or the 'theme'.

I keep all my stamps unmounted in the flexible plastic wallets for DVD/CD's and those are stored in plastic 'Really Useful' boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Totally loved your "Heads Up" warning at the beginning. My mother always said that if you tied my hands, I couldn't talk!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern SparkleView Post
Great minds think alike!

I have this quirk... I must stamp any new images in black before I put them away. A few days ago it dawned on me to just get them organized (VERY similar to yours) and my quirk turns into an organizational habit. Ohhh, the twist

The only differences I see in our systems is that I write my location of that stamp in pencil, just in case I decide to organize a different way someday.

Now I need to get the pages filled up like yours! TFS!
Thanks for your comment.

I can't imagine ever separating my sets. So I was fine with writing the company and set name in pen. I didn't like any of the systems where people separated the actual stamps into different categories because I found it restrictive to only 1 category per stamp, plus it messes with the way the sets work together on their own. All the hours I spent labeling all the DVD cases for each set would be motivation enough to leave them alone! *LOL*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmatuschkaView Post
Totally loved your "Heads Up" warning at the beginning. My mother always said that if you tied my hands, I couldn't talk!
Yeah, I think that may be true for me to. To be honest I watched the video after I recorded it and I thought to myself that it was REALLY annoying, but frankly I was too lazy to try recording it all over again when it went smoothly the first time so I said to heck with it and added the warning.

Thanks for your comment, glad I'm not the only one who expresses myself a little to much with the gestures.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I didn't think the hand gestures were annoying at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had my stamps indexed by categories for years. I have 2 binders: Holidays [Valentine's, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas and the other is everything else divided by categories similar to yours. I, like you, put a stamp image in more than one category if needed. None of my stamps get put away until they have been stamped in the index binder. And it does help when you want to get more stamps. More than once I've opened my binder and discovered I had a stamp similar or even better than the one I was thinking of buying. Enjoy your binders!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I haven't watched your video, because your explanation here is clear enough for me to know what you've done. Well done on the explanation AND the indexing! I used to have two binders - now I have one binder, several photo albums and a Rolodex. The binder has pics of complete stamp sets, alphabetical by company and alphabetical within each company. The photo albums have images from all of the stamp sets, organized by category and cross-referenced to the binders where the stamps themselves are. The Rolodex has all of the sentiments from all of the stamp sets, organized by category and cross-referenced. If an image or sentiment fits into more than one category, I stamped it for each category that it fit into. The reason I did the photo albums and Rolodex instead of the second binder is because it's easier for me to grab a small photo album of the category I'm looking for than to pull out a bulky binder every time. Ditto on the Rolodex - so easy to flip through! We all have to do what works for us, though, right? Again - great job!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very impressive. I am in the process of creating my own binder system (less involved than yours) that should work better for me.

Thanks for sharing your system. I am sure many folks will find it helpful. Always nice to get new ideas!

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Red face

I love this . I have for years wanted a binder with stamped images of all my sets. But the second binder is such a great idea. I started several years ago with the first and never finished it.
However I moved to a house where I actually have a craft room and in spending the last month sorting and putting the room together I have found that I have duplicate sets and some that are very close . This has inspired me to get busy and make both types of binders.
I have also found duplicate tools such as embossing folders ,dies and even a Cricut cartridge. So needless to say a third binder is needed with punches, embossing etc.

Thank you so much for posting. Oh and I really enjoyed the video. I think talking with your hands made it more personable . I like it.

Thanks again Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Just to let you know , when my daughter got home last night we started our binder. I had her watch the video. It really inspired me to get it done.
Thanks again
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes