Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 05-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #1
ck1
Inking Addict

Default Moving/Purging help needed

Hi all,

I'm moving, Yay!!!, BUT I'm moving from a 4 bedroom home in which I have my own craft room, to a 1 bedroom condo. I seriously need help in purging 12 years worth of card making/scrapbooking stuff. I am so overwhelmed. What should I get rid of and what should I keep? I don't even know where to start. The rest of the house is a piece of cake, even my husband who is a packrat is not having issues. Any suggestions

Thanks,
Ck
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 05-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
Proud Fan Club Member

Yes, I do.... I just did a serious purge, not because I needed to for space reasons, but because I wanted to. I followed the steps laid out by this gal, who based hers on the Marie Kondo book about decluttering. A book I made fun of until I read it, BTW.

Here's the video of her actual purge, and within it she links to a video she made about the theory behind it:

Starting out with the notion that you are going to only keep those things you truly love will certainly get you on the road to reducing your stash.

RachelRose Designs by Robin... GALLERY
Brenda71, RenT, klh54 and 1 others like this post.
Unread 05-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Proud Fan Club Member

Are you moving out of town or just to a different place?

Well...sounds like you need to put your ruthless hat on. Keep in mind...you are going to like most of what you have-you picked it in the first place.

You have to separate the "I wouldnt buy it again but I also wouldnt throw it out" from
"Yeeeeah...It's nice. I might use it" from
"Aw isnt that cute!" from
I HAVE TO HAVE THIS.

Give yourself TIME to do this. Do not wait till the last minute. Fill the boxes below. Come back and review in a few days. When you give your mind time to acclimate to the idea, it is easier and not so overwhelming.

If you have a friend who can come over and just sit with you while you do it for moral support...that is good. But dont let them talk you into keeping with aww that's so cute or dumping what you like b/c they dont.

-What have you either never used or not used in years?
-What do you have duplicates of? How many "Happy Birthdays" do you need?
-Has anything dried out? If you discover more than half of a pen set is dead...you well may be willing to let go of the balance.
-How do you work? Do you like stuff to match so have a lot of say SU ink and paper? Because then you have to keep that kind of stuff.
-Got embellies you havent used? Bye bye!
-Clearly anything you have been forcing yourself to use just not to "waste" it.

Keep in mind, it isnt like you wont be able to get more stuff in the new home.

Tricks to less stuff-clear emboss colored sentiments or whatever instead of using colored embossing powder. Iridescent sequins will match many colors. So you dont have to have 20 colors of sequins.

"Pick the one you love best"-ie instead of having 3 kinds of WC pens, pick your favorite.

Stick to basics: Keep your basic shape dies and let go of the specialty like a pizza with toppings you only use maybe once every three years. Dont keep duplicate punches and dies. If you have a set of 6 sizes of square dies-dont keep 3 square punches if they are the same size.

How much space do you anticipate having now? Like one of those large units with cubbies and drawers in the LR?

Get a few boxes that you think will be a little less that that space so you will have room to grow. You can only fill those.

Have other boxes for stuff to go on the other side of the room so there is no mistakes of what goes where. Once you fill a box you are SURE you are fine with letting go...close it. Either hold for a sale or donation, but move it to another room. Seeing yourself building a stack of to go boxes can panic people who think they "wont have anything left" even though you have 10 boxes on the other side of the room.

As you fill them, you will know if something screams out at you not to get rid of it. Not the niggly little "aw that is so cute...." kinda thing. The one that explodes in your head saying "Excuse me? Have you gone nuts?"

Do you have family and friends you can give to?

Think about a sale. You might get enough money to pay for the unit/desk you will use in the new space if you cant take what you have! If you have an LSS they might let you post a sign for your sale. Heck some of them may want to buy stuff for their personal stashes! LOL List in Craig's List for all towns within what? 60-90 min drive?

Other people are going to have good ideas. Dont panic. Take one category at a time. You can do this.

Good Luck!
Brenda71, RenT and Allistamps123 like this post.
Unread 05-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

I only have two things to add to Robin's and Shaz's very good suggestions:
  1. If you have a stamp or two in a set that you love, but not the rest of the set, keep the ones you love and let the rest go. For more on this, see THIS THREAD.
  2. In one of the many fabulous threads here (which one escapes me at the moment), someone used the phrase "carefully curated collection" regarding crafty supplies. That phrase stuck with me and made me look at EVERYTHING in my space again - did it fit that description?
And that's all I have to say about that... (with a nod to Forrest Gump )

ChrisO, Brenda71, klh54 and 2 others like this post.
Unread 05-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #5
Pearl-ExPert

I took a little on-line organizing/decluttering class way back when, and these were some questions someone posted. Some don't apply, but when decluttering a rather overwhelming space, I printed out the list and referred to often, especially when hesitating. (Usually hesitating meant I could let it go.) You can find other lists of questions on line if this doesn't ring your chimes.

- Is this something I use regularly or at important times?
- Is it something I love?
- Do I think I *should* love it?
- Am I keeping it out of obligation?
- Am I keeping it "just in case?"
- Do I have multiples of the same thing?
- Could something else do the same job?
- Could I use the space for something else?
- Am I holding onto it to fix one day?
- Is it worth the time I spend cleaning it?

I also bought a timer in a bright "happy" color, and set it for five minutes. Just five since beginning was the toughest part, and I felt resistance at anything longer. I generally spent much longer than five minutes - sometimes hours. But five equaled success.

Good luck!
ChrisO, Brenda71 and StamperDea like this post.