Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas

Hello Everyone-
We just purchased a different home and found a bonus room that has not been opened up that we are going to be doing some remodeling to make use of room. It will be my craft room. I would like to know what you have in your craft room for storage, counter tops, work station and such that you can not live without that will help me out in the planning of the new room.
Thank you for all your help. Have a wonderful holiday weekend.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My craft room is the bonus room over a 2 car garage. If you check out the pictures at the very beginning of my gallery I have posted a bunch of pictures of it there. The most important thing is storage, storage, storage!!!

Half of mine is for stamping-the other half for sewing.

Enjoy designing your new space!!

Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest lots of lighting where it can actually be useful. I have Ikea expedit shelves/cubbies. Another thing I like is to have different areas to do different things in.. i.e. stamp area, die cutting area. Use your walls if you need them. What YOU like is most important though. oh i have a 2 drawer file cabinet for 8.5 x 11 CS. if you search in the gallery there is lots of pictures to see and get ideas from. Good luck and please post pics for us to see when you are settled in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I was able to claim my daughters bedroom when she moved out. I bought the jetmax cubes and the 16" wide shelving boards from Lowes. It was inexpensive and the jetmax cubes gave me a ton of storage.

Along with scrapbooking, cards, I do a lot of sewing and computer work. I was able to create enough storage and counter to leave one wall alone. That wall has a futon. Great for my very late nights up.

edit:

The pics in the gallery are very old. (was a work in progress) An updated version can be found here http://scrappinmoments.blogspot.com/...oom%20Makeover

Since then I have rearranged the cubes (I really like that ability) to fit my storage ideas better. Also I have added a few more.

Last edited by ScrappinMoments; 05-26-2010 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Here's my best tip....

Don't put yourself facing up against a wall if at all possible - try to be looking out into your space. It goes against most of our natures to do this by it will actually give you more storage/wall space and I found that to be creatively freeing and it's especially nice if you will ever have guests over to craft with you.

Angela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

[QUOTE=mycupoftea;16749889]Don't put yourself facing up against a wall if at all possible - try to be looking out into your space. It goes against most of our natures to do this by it will actually give you more storage/wall space and I found that to be creatively freeing and it's especially nice if you will ever have guests over to craft with you.

I agree. Positioning yourself to have open space in front of you instead of having a wall in your face is more freeing. The feeling is less confining and opens up your creative mind.

I'm working on rearranging my craft room and plan to have 2-3 work spaces. Yes, two will be against the wall, but looking out the window and the third and most important one to me will be the table I plan on putting in the center of the room. This is where I am envisioning myself most of the time. From there I will be able to see my supplies that are against the walls.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 07:30 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

THE most important thing for me is a work space in the middle of the room that I can walk all the way around and that has GREAT lighting over it - no shadows. I picked up a big kitchen table at a thrift store that was having a 60% off sale - $14.00 out the door! I need to refinish the top, but no biggie there...

Look around and see what you can repurpose if needed. In other incarnations, my room had back-to-back dressers with a slab of melamine-covered board laid on top, sawhorses with plywood and "tile board", a section of kitchen counter on file cabinets, etc.

The main thing is to not face a wall (as mentioned before in this thread) and - for me - to have access on all sides. AND lighting - lighting - lighting! I have two flourescent shop lights above my table - not pretty, but VERY serviceable! I'm working on a more permanent and aesthetically pleasing solution...
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas-dscf3107-small-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you everyone for all your ideas. I can not wait to get started with the new room.
Have a safe and fun holiday weekend.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I hear what some posters are saying about facing out into the room but I don't know if that works for everyone.

I face a wall because I'm a lazy stamper and like to have everything within reach. However, I did just get a second worktop installed and when I'm at that (mostly for die cutting/assembly) I will face out into the room (with the majority of my stuff behind me but easy to wheel back and forth in my chair.)

The other problem for me with facing "out" is that there are no electrical outlets in my "island" so I can't use my sewing machine/Ott lites there unless I run an extension cord which would concern me as a tripping hazard (I'm clumsy!). So, if you are planning to face outward, make sure you can plug in stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I'm going to be converting a room this summer,so all of these ideas are a great help to me as well. Just bought some jetmax cubes....LOVE THEM! I want to get some hanging file ones for my paper...haven't seen them at the store as of yet. Even though I can't convert until this summer....once my daughter gets her stuff out....I have been planning my space. I too am a lazy stamper and like everything within reach. I will probably go U shaped. I will need to leave a space for a raised queen size aerobed for when we have guests....so part of my space will have to be easily movable.
Reply With Quote Likes