Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I actually had something like this back in 1976

It was called The Systemizer; it was sort of a combination secretary (Cabinet incorporating writing desk - U.S. furniture a large cabinet with a fold-down desktop, usually with drawers below and an enclosed bookcase above) and modern roll top desk that didn't roll down. It cost $600, and was a Graduation present.

Actually, I had the choice to either go to Reno for 3 days with a friend of mine or get the Systemizer. I chose to go to Reno. I went with $600 to spend on slot machines and food. I spent the entire amount. I came back with $600 and got the Organizer.

It held a lot.

And that's the problem. Thanks to it's not having wheels, the back (actually thin wooden sheet, not posterboard) got torqued and finally split after being shaken around in the '94 quake and subsequent moving to shampoo the carpeting. It finally collapsed forward last year and couldn't be closed.

Now I have far more punches and cardstock (heavy items) plus the stuff that was stored in the Organizer (postage stamps, Pentel pens, #6 & #11 envelopes, a ream of typing paper, dictionary, thesaurus...stuff I had when I got into refunding and sweepstaking but way before I got into crafting. I now have 4 (7 drawer plastic carts) mini leaning towers of Piza whose wheels came off due to the weight, plus a couple of plastic tubs, 4- 2 drawer filing cabinets and foldup table in the rec room. I have several piles of 12" x 12" cardstock and paper on the floor due to their not fitting in the cabinets (letter size) and being too heavy to lift in the tubs (cardmaking isn't worth a hernia!).

I have some more tubs upstairs in my bedroom for my stamps (from the '80's), ink and glitter.

When I do my Holiday cards, it involves the craft table, the downstairs bathroom countertop (if glitter is involved) and the kitchen table (if dry embossing is involved, as the craft table is too high).

This is the one thing I used the most and regret losing the most. Having the ability to keep everything in one place and being able to close it up (compact it) - and mobile!!! - is truly the best thing anyone could want or have. I wonder how much weight it can take...I'd sure like find out:mrgreen:

Good Luck to all.
Attached Thumbnails
I actually had something like this back in 1976-systemizer-front.jpg   I actually had something like this back in 1976-systemizer-info.jpg   I actually had something like this back in 1976-systemizer-inside.jpg  

Last edited by Card Maker 01; 09-26-2009 at 08:49 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I can so relate to the different areas of the house for the crafting...the extra bath next to my room is full of stamps and embossing powders too :-) We all need more space it is a necessity I tell ya :-) Enjoy the contest and good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 12:01 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I've always said: I need the house across the street for refrigerator space (yep, the whole house, lol); the one next to it for freezer space, the one next door for storage, and the one on the other side of us for crafting/exercise equipment! That way I can can have a clean house! Plus, it would be a quiet area, as I'd know my neighbors! Hah!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 05:05 AM   #4  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.

You did good...on the graduation present.

The Systemizer looks wonderful.

Never give up, just practice, stay positive and have fun!

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Awwww thanks. I loved the way the sides of the desktop folded over on top; the wings underneath them moved forward so that the desktop could be moved back, then the wings folded in front of the drawer. It was fascinating the way it compacted and expanded. The only things I didn't like about it were not having wheels, but that might have been due to stability issues when the desk was fully opened. The other thing was the light: it needed a 40w incandescent bulb and the metal bracket around it got HOT! The third thing was not having access to a hole in the back for another electrical cord (hot glue gun, for example). It really was nicely made...(deep heavy sigh)...

Trust me, whoever wins the Scrapbox will fully appreciate it and truly wonder how she/he ever got along without it. The only thing to remember, you have to allow plenty of room in front and to the sides for fully opening and closing (and not blocking light switches or needed electrical outlets).:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes