Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you store your paper?

I have been on the web for days upon days now, watching videos, etc. I know there are a lot of experienced people on here so I thought I would ask. What have you found to be the best storage for your paper? I bought the Jetmax drawers and I'm finding that I can't see my paper, I am having to shuffle through everything to find what I want. Pictures would be awesome! Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I just use the silver, metal, mesh magazine holders from Wal-Mart. My paper sits on top of of my bookcase of stamp sets. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use hanging files with a tab on each noting the color. I used to have those hanging in 2 rubber maid hanging file containers, but just recently cleared out 2 drawers in my file cabinet and moved all my paper there.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

for my 8x11 I have 2 units that used to be used for mailboxes in an office. paper fits perfect and I can see what I have and what I need to order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have a pegboard which I found at Home Depot with some clear plastic trays from Display Dynamics that I found on ebay - I have 20 of them and store my pretty and core color 12x12s in there...you can store alot of paper in a small amount of space but it can get dusty if you are a hoarder and not a user :-)

I also have some sterilite 12x12 3-drawer units that I found at Target that stack in a tower in my closet - I have my 8 1/2x11 SU cardstocks, 12x12 papers, ink pads, embellies, chipboard, ziploc bags containing my scraps and even stamp sets in there which works well for me...and keeps the dust off...and keeps it hidden from my hubby so he never knows quite how much I have ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store your paper?-displaydynamics.jpg   How do you store your paper?-sterilitestack.jpg  

Last edited by willsygirl; 03-30-2010 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

I like the sterilite drawers! I was going to get rid of some of my sterilite drawers but I think I will keep them around. Mine are not 12 x 12 which I don't like but maybe they will do for now. I will probably keep the Jetmax drawers for my punches, wheel, etc. I'm sure I can find some use for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

Ok. So this may be a dumb question but..... when I put stuff in my drawers, when I open them all my stuff slides around. I guess I don't have enough stuff in there right now. So what do you do to take up more space? I want it organized, I don't want to just put anything in the drawers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #8  

Yes, it stops sliding around so much once you put more stuff in there LOL - which I usually have...

But I dont mind it sliding around - it seems to stay pretty much in order...what you could use is some of that rubber matting stuff that I've seen my hubby use in his metal tool boxes - I think you can get it from Sears, Home Depot etc - you cut it to fit and when you put your things on it, its grippy so they stay put.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Default 10-drawer rolling unit

I use a 10-drawer unit I found at Office Depot. It's on casters, which is great because i don't have a dedicated space for creating. It's lightweight (mostly plastic) which makes it easy to use. And it's stylie! I paid $40 for it and I think it was worth it. The drawers are different shades of gray and black with chrome pulls. Love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by totallystampsView Post
Ok. So this may be a dumb question but..... when I put stuff in my drawers, when I open them all my stuff slides around. I guess I don't have enough stuff in there right now. So what do you do to take up more space? I want it organized, I don't want to just put anything in the drawers.
I have some flat plastic containers that I got at the dollar store. I put these inside some of my drawers to act as dividers - this helps with the sliding, and helps me separate different things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

This organization thing is just crazy! I have been working on my room since Thursday and I feel like I am getting nowhere. I buy stuff, then I find something better. LOL. This is horrible. I usually a very organized person, but, for some reason this room is really difficult. My husband thinks I'm nuts, of course. LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jana ZView Post
I have some flat plastic containers that I got at the dollar store. I put these inside some of my drawers to act as dividers - this helps with the sliding, and helps me separate different things.
I will have to find some of these.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessinessView Post
I use a 10-drawer unit I found at Office Depot. It's on casters, which is great because i don't have a dedicated space for creating. It's lightweight (mostly plastic) which makes it easy to use. And it's stylie! I paid $40 for it and I think it was worth it. The drawers are different shades of gray and black with chrome pulls. Love it.

I will see if my husband has some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #14  

Quote:

I feel like I am getting nowhere. I buy stuff, then I find something better. LOL.
I hear you - I am a bit of a hoarder but have a very big clean out coming up to get rid of stuff...

A couple of times a year some friends and I get together and clear out our papers, stickers etc - we take them to the Childrens Hospital, Ronald McDonald House, Women & Childrens shelter, Make a Wish etc - they are sooo grateful for them and it means you have more space...temporarily...until you visit the scrapbook store again of course ;-)

Its worth calling around your area and finding out who will take some of your extras if you are looking to purge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

My 8.5x11 is stored in hanging file folders in a 2 drawer plastic file cabinet. I put mine in by colors, not color family (all SU) because I can find "the" red I want more easily. I bought labels for the folders off of eBay that are printed on the actual CS, which makes it easy to find it at a glance.

My 12x12 is in a wire storage cube on my long counter. It isn't organized much to speak of. Yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 09:07 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Jetmax unit with the divided open sections work well for cardstock - I keep one color family vertically in each section....it's easy to see the different shades and pull one out without moving them all. Then, I have sterlite 12 x 12 cases for paper. That way, I can open the whole case and look for the right piece of paper, and the smaller cut pieces can be kept together with the full sizes, so I can use them first. I even have a smaller sterlite case for each color of "scraps" - those are my go-to cases when I know I just need pieces rather than full card layers. Check out my gallery for the photos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 09:13 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstampinView Post
I use hanging files with a tab on each noting the color. I used to have those hanging in 2 rubber maid hanging file containers, but just recently cleared out 2 drawers in my file cabinet and moved all my paper there.
I do the same. I use a piece of each color, labelled, in the tab. I like that it's covered...no dust;)

<----Gabriel...15 months old May 1, 2011. He loves being outdoors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 09:24 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I used to use the Cropper Hopper storage things for my paper (similar to a magazine holder), they were stored vertically. Then I noticed the top edges and any exposed paper were starting to bleach out from the light and dust. They weren't in direct light/sunlight either.

So I switched to the Iris Scrapbooking Carts. I got them from JoAnn's with coupons. It's great because the boxes are covered, so no worries about the bleaching/dust. Each drawer/box is labeled with a color and type of paper (card stock or patterned). I keep my cardstock separate from my patterned and divide it by color red, blue, green, yellow.. etc. and my patterned paper is divided up the same way.. by dominant color. I have one for chip board, one for vellum and specialty paper. I love this system. I can also just grab the whole "drawer" if I need to take it over to where I'm working.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I use the rubbermaid shelf liner that you can buy at Walmart. You can get it in different colours (I use white as my Jetmax cubes are white) and not only does it stop things from sliding around but it protects the bottom of the drawer from getting dirty looking scratches if you store anything heavy - like punches - in the drawer. It cuts to size very easily with scissors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
My 8.5x11 is stored in hanging file folders in a 2 drawer plastic file cabinet. I put mine in by colors, not color family (all SU) because I can find "the" red I want more easily. I bought labels for the folders off of eBay that are printed on the actual CS, which makes it easy to find it at a glance.

My 12x12 is in a wire storage cube on my long counter. It isn't organized much to speak of. Yet.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the ebay tip! I just went to Ebay and bought my own labels and the cardstock on the ring. This is awesome! I always wanted to do it myself, but never found the time. THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

I like easy access to my cardstock/paper. And I want to see them all so if I need a particular color, I don't have to sort through drawers and folders. So I store them in those white cubes bought from Michael's.

http://craftski.multiply.com/photos/...hotos#photo=21

I always have this rule that if the paper/cardstock is smaller than 8.5 x 11, I put them in my metal drawers, one color per drawer.

http://craftski.multiply.com/photos/...hotos#photo=15

And, I just recently purchased the Cropper Hopper Eassy Access Paper Storage at Joann.com:

http://craftski.multiply.com/photos/album/180#photo=130

I like this a lot, and I'm planning to buy 1 more to have that uniform look.

Hth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 03:47 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Add some of the woven type drawer/shelf liner papery stuff. No more rolling around!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I was able to purchase a "mail center" from where I used to work; it cost about $5 and has 48 slots, each about big enough to hold a ream of paper. Of course it won't hold 12 x 12 but since I make mostly ATC's and cards, I just cut all the 12 x 12 into 8 and 4 inch pieces. I use one side for CS and on for paper, using the ROYGBIV method for sorting. Works great for me!

For scraps, I have a Rubbermaid tub and use folders with the ROYGBIV method as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

I tried horizontal storage of my paper and it was a mess. I switched to vertical files, coordinated by color, and now I can find, and actually use, my paper. To see photos check out this post on my blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 01:19 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

For years I had my cardstock in Sterlite drawers and sorted them by color, red, green blue etc. but with different hues in the same drawer.... yellow, gold, orange etc. Didn't like having to dig through thru drawer for the right pack of paper so went to suspension files. Love this method as the files open just enough to be able to see what's in them. Still sort by color families but with everything pretty much visible in the drawer and the labels on the folders, it works really well for me. Being in file drawers there is no fading from exposure to light.

Bettye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Question

Curious-what is the ROYGBIV method of sorting?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 03:26 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet --

OLD Rainbow Girl, LOL
g
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

I have the the same Display Dynamics trays that Sarah has. I actually got the whole unit from a scrapbook store going out of business. I paid $50 for the whole thing. You can buy them new but they run about $250 I think. LOVE this storage. I have had it for 2 years or more now. I also just moved into a new craft room, and this was easy to move to a new space!

How do you store your paper?-20051225_1839a.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 03:51 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

It depends on the type of paper.

I keep all my 12x12 Bazzill CS in Cropper Hoppers INSIDE of Jetmax cubes (the ones on the bottom). No fading; no dust; easy access. Just slide one out and sort and then put it back.

12x12 patterned paper is a bit more challenging. I've stopped buying random sheets so that's helped a lot. All of my SU DSP is in one of my filer cubes (on the far left in the pic). Kits are in the second one. The bottom one holds misc DSP sorted by color/theme. All Basic Gray is in one slot of the cubes. All Core'dinations CS is in another slot, etc. I can find things pretty easily. These are the top and middle row of cubes.

8.5x11 paper is in file folders in SU color families. All PTI CS is sorted by color; same with Gina K CS. But I've run out of file drawer room (not in this picture, but just a regular file cabinet). According to DH, I will be getting a new white wood lateral file cabinet for Mother's Day. Gotta love a man who knows what his woman really wants. ;)

Here's a picture. This was before my room was complete, but it's easier to see when my desk isn't in the way. HTH~

Name:  P7140106-1-1.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  41.6 KB

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 04:08 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

Quote:

I place the mesh drawer liner in each drawer...for paper or punches or whatever...it keeps it in place.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelle328View Post
I was able to purchase a "mail center" from where I used to work; it cost about $5 and has 48 slots, each about big enough to hold a ream of paper. Of course it won't hold 12 x 12 but since I make mostly ATC's and cards, I just cut all the 12 x 12 into 8 and 4 inch pieces. I use one side for CS and on for paper, using the ROYGBIV method for sorting. Works great for me!

For scraps, I have a Rubbermaid tub and use folders with the ROYGBIV method as well.
I have a 48 slot mail center as well. Bought it from Staples. It works great. I also found some 6 slot units at Sam's Club about 5 years ago. I use two of those for neutrals and In Colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

http://wookiemouse.blogspot.com/

She has GREAT organizational suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

I store mine in hanging file folders in cabinet drawers. Each folder is labeled with a color swatch and card stock name.
Reply With Quote Likes