Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help organizing written instructions for boxes and such!!!

I write directions for making boxes and such on post it notes, any ideas on how to organize them?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a small sketchbook (mine is a cheap 4x6 sketchbook I found at my local Walmart for 2.99$) where I give each project a new section. Simple projects take one page, more complex ones take a few pages.

At the top, I sketch the box/bag general shape - this is so I know at a glance what the box will look like when finished. If you have a good printer, you can also print out a small image of the box instead.

Underneath, I write down the finished dimensions and required paper/cardstock sizes-- this is important if I'm making a box to fit something specific or if I need to buy enough cardstock/paper to make a whole bunch of them.

Then I have the instructions, followed by an extra line or two for my thoughts on the project or any changes I made to make the construction easier.

I use post-it flags to mark any pages of projects I want or need to make.

It's not the fanciest of systems, but it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

This is one thing that I'd definitely store on my computer, as opposed to a hard copy somewhere. I do the same thing with recipes, and for the same reason. The hard copies take up too much valuable real estate and it's easier to find things in a list than a book (especially if they're in categories). I do have a physical stamp index because I want to see them "actual size"...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 04:07 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

I make the box/project in white cardstock. I score and fold on the score lines. I make notes on every score line and put the name of the project in the middle including starting size.I put it flat in a page protector in a 3 ring binder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 04:29 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiek55View Post
I make the box/project in white cardstock. I score and fold on the score lines. I make notes on every score line and put the name of the project in the middle including starting size.I put it flat in a page protector in a 3 ring binder.
This seems like a very practical way to go about it, since you have a "visual" to go by, as well as the instructions. May re-think my digital storage IF I ever step into doing these types of projects (right now they make me twitchy, so I don't do them, lol)...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 05:34 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a smash book and write all my instructions and draw a sketch in it. Card ideas, boxes, quotes etc...Yes Gregzgurl I did misplace it one time and almost went crazy looking for it. I did find it finally and now am pretty sure of where I put it. A designated area for it and it only.. But I have had computers die on me and it would be lost too. I take it when I go to a crop and the ladies are constantly borrowing it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I keep the instructions and flattened samples in a binder with sheet protectors. I also have tutorials and scanned copies on my computer and once I print them they go into the binder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I do both. I have technique/product directions in the computer. Then I print the page for a three ring binder with a postcard sample that gets stapled to the page as I am very visual. This allows me to update the directions if I find a better way to do it or a product I like better. (I will scribble on the printed page till it needs to be properly reprinted-like a recipe lol)

Boxes however would be a challenge. I guess I would do as said above and print a pic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been struggling with this myself. My post it note system isn't enough. Thanks for the suggestions and the thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 05:59 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

What about making a Pinterest board and pinning all the projects on that board? You wouldn't have to have "another notebook", and you wouldn't risk losing it all when your computer crashed. And it would be easy to access from anywhere. Not that I do that, mind you, but it was just a thought.

Right now, I don't do much of any 3D stuff. So my binder with all those "neat ideas that I might use someday" is gathering dust. It's definitely on the radar for getting purged.

BTW...I am now a firm believer in online backups...by experience. I only lost the files that were open on my desktop when my drive crashed a month ago.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 06:05 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by nreedView Post
I write directions for making boxes and such on post it notes, any ideas on how to organize them?
I just load a PDF file and cut it with my Cameo. Or if there is not PDF I look at the drawing of the box and make my own file. Many times I find the cut file in the Silhouette store. They have hundreds of darling 3D items to cut!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

If it's just notes with the measurements and a drawing rather than a template, I'd take a photo and save them on my computer or phone in a separate folder. If you want to stay analog, a book sounds like a good way to go. Maybe create sections for each type of project to make them easier to find. Or create an index page where you write the page number and what the measurements create.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2016, 05:00 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Such a timely thread as I'm just re-organizing these myself. I've tried both ways and have also used the white card stock prototypes and flattened them for my binder. Have quite a few on Pinterest. Was thinking about a recipe card box with just a picture and either the actual directions or the location of the directions. My online files are a bit of a mess now due to my computer freezing on me. Still haven't restored everything from my backups as I wanted to reorganize as I restored. I love some of the ideas here and definitely be pondering more about a solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2016, 05:26 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I keep the instructions and flattened samples in a binder with sheet protectors. I also have tutorials and scanned copies on my computer and once I print them they go into the binder.
I do exactly the same thing. Especially if I need to know witch side to fold first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a binder with page protectors for instructions but mostly because they are instructions I've received at different classes or from kits I've put together and want to re-create. I really like the idea of the prototype! Sometimes I get confused on where to do what which can be frustrating!I think for those quick notes a small notebook is a great idea, will have to do that next (right now the notes are jotted down on whatever scrap I can grab while working and then ends up thrown away - meaning i go through the same drama each time I make something lol)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

I am very tactile, so I need the hard copy. Here is what I do. I have a 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 notebook that I write or paste the instructions (with pictures, when I can) and a picture of the finished product. I then make a scaled down version of it out of text-weight copy paper. Since I have the size or sizes to use of the real thing in my instructions, all I need with the sample is how it folds and ends up. If it requires a pattern to draw around because there are odd shapes or curves, I make it full size out of chipboard, put it in a 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 envelope with the picture and name on the outside and store it in a basket with other patterns. In most cases I don't need the two step process and can just go off the instructions, but when I need it, the pattern is there.
Reply With Quote Likes