Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Ching
  • 2 Post By sylviad
  • 4 Post By gregzgurl
  • 1 Post By estamps
  • 1 Post By Buried Treasures

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
Embossing Fanatic

Default Finding the stamp set you want to use quickly.

My question first-- any advice as to how to organize a put back plan so the case is easy to find again.

My stamps are now 99 percent organized in dvd cases. I have kept most in sets, but do have some cases of like sentiments, i.e. Thank you, happy birthday, etc.
At the bottom of each case is a colored dot for a category. I started with holidays and seasons. Then went to themes, i.e words sentiments, birthday, flowers, leaves, trees, circles, frames nd so on. A dot chart at eye level reminds me of the code. Some have several dots.
Each case has a name either the name it came with or a created one.
On 3x5 index cards, i stamped every stamp i have (75% completed). On the back of the card is the set that stamp is in. Plus any notes i need for good stamping. The cards are filed by theme/ subject and have a subject label if there are three or more in that subject. I.e snowmen, daisies, pine trees, get well, thank you., it gets a subject division card. Almost 3000 fit in a double fridge biz bin.
All of this works like a charm. Saves time , clutter and frustration.
BUT-- my question. Easy case return to be found quickly?
Alphabetical by title seems logical, but with 20-30 titles starting with S its too time consuming. Any advice would be appreciated?
I wish i knew how to add pictures to this to be more clear.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
Kookie Creator

I would number the cases. Then you don't have to worry about alphabetical order when you get new sets, just add the next number. The number can be written on your index guide too. It will even take up less space than the stamp name.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
Proud Fan Club Member

Numbering makes sense. I have my sentiments separate from my regular sets. I also have Christmas sets separate from the rest. Then all the rest of my sets I have in alphabetical order. I sometimes don't get them back in the exact order, but they are usually in the same stack as they should be.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
Insane Embellisher

I have everything photographed by set in Evernote. Then each stamp set notefile is tagged with theme and every sentiment. So if I really can't remember, I can just filter by tags. Or I can just look up the last few sets that are out to backtrack with my matching to put it all back. I'm so loving Evernote for all sorts of reasons now that I have a good portion of it done.
Brenda71 likes this post.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:44 AM   #5
Forum Fanatic

What works best for me is to break up the sets and have everything organized by theme - all the flowers together, all of the butterflies together, etc. The way I store my stamps is in 4" x 6" photo sleeves. The stamped index sheet is on one side of the sleeve, the laminated cardstock loaded with the stamps is on the other side. I just flip through the box with that theme to see which one I want to use, then leave that sleeve out until I'm done, then put it back where I got it. I do have a binder with images of the full sets for reference, but I rarely refer to it. I considered doing an index of each theme, but it's just as easy to flip through the sleeves as it is to look at an index and then go find it...
Attached Thumbnails
dscf5559.jpg   dscf5560.jpg   dscf5558.jpg  

Old 04-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

I am wondering which brand of photo sleeve you use. And just one layer of cardstock laminated ? Or 2 layers. ?
Old 04-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #7
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ching View Post
I have everything photographed by set in Evernote. Then each stamp set notefile is tagged with theme and every sentiment. So if I really can't remember, I can just filter by tags. Or I can just look up the last few sets that are out to backtrack with my matching to put it all back. I'm so loving Evernote for all sorts of reasons now that I have a good portion of it done.
Don'tcha just looooove Evernote? All my stamp sets are in Evernote and I have way more than I am wiling to admit. I have all my punches, dies, thinlits, framelits, DSP, EVERYTHING in there! I am pulling out sets I haven't touched in a couple of years because I forgot about them. When I search Evernote, it brings up all the images/sentiments related to my search and then I use stuff that was filed way past my mental capability to remember them. It was a big job to get everything in Evernote, but I did most of the indexing when I was off work with a broken arm. I couldn't stamp, but I could type one-handed, so I got the job done. All my stamp sets are filed alphabetically, so Evernote gets me to the right set and as long as I remember my ABCs I will be able to find what I want.
Brenda71 and sherry107 like this post.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:15 PM   #8
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperkids View Post
I am wondering which brand of photo sleeve you use. And just one layer of cardstock laminated ? Or 2 layers. ?
I cut apart cheapo photo albums from AC Moore, Walmart or the dollar store. I typically cut the cardstock in half and put it in the laminating pouch, then run it through the laminator. Since only half of the pouch had cardstock in it, the other half fuses to itself, so I have the laminated cardstock and a clear sheet to use as a cover to keep the stamps from sticking to the photo sleeve. I have more detailed directions and pictures HERE on my blog. It's toward the bottom of the post (which is long - sorry...).

Old 04-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #9
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post
What works best for me is to break up the sets and have everything organized by theme - all the flowers together, all of the butterflies together, etc. The way I store my stamps is in 4" x 6" photo sleeves. The stamped index sheet is on one side of the sleeve, the laminated cardstock loaded with the stamps is on the other side. I just flip through the box with that theme to see which one I want to use, then leave that sleeve out until I'm done, then put it back where I got it. I do have a binder with images of the full sets for reference, but I rarely refer to it. I considered doing an index of each theme, but it's just as easy to flip through the sleeves as it is to look at an index and then go find it...
If you break up your sets, do you not sell them when you are finished or have too many?

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #10
Forum Fanatic

I pretty much give them away when I'm done. It's too much trouble to list everything and what have you (in my opinion), and there's always someone somewhere who would be thrilled to have them. Many of the sets are incomplete now, anyway, because I already gave away the stamps from them that I knew I would never use. Sometimes I end up only keeping one stamp out of an entire set, and most people are all-or-nothing, so I couldn't sell them anyway... As I'm sure you can tell, I don't really have an attachment to most of them. I have a handful that you will have to pry out of my cold, dead hands, but it truly is only a handful.

fionna51, Brenda71, psychspa and 1 others like this post.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #11
Splitcoast Platinum Partner Company

What was the best way for you to organize them? Did you come up with a great solution?

Visit our Splitcoaststampers Gallery
Old 04-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #12
Mad Swapper

I scan all my sets into a photo manager and tag them with categories, descriptions, stamp companies, and other stuff so I can easily find the type of stamp I want. Most are stored in DVD cases alphabetically on those IKEA shelving units. So easy to find whatever I need. I plan to scan in tools and embellishments too.

My Blog: Stamp Pretty
My Gallery
Old 04-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #13
Embossing Fanatic

The organizing Im doing has me never looking in more than three places to find what I want to use.

The three categories are. Calendar: for holidays and special use only.
Themes : birthdays, sentiments, flowers, trees, etc.
Color: for markers, ink, paper, bling, powder, glitter, etc.

These three are sub titled by amount of stuff I have in that catagory.
Example: christmas tree embossing folder or die with trimings- labeled in christmas
Untrimmed pine tree- labeled in theme trees
This is working for eveything. Embossing folders, stamps, dies, punches, inks, markers, paper, pastes, glitter, powders, stencils, and bling.

Thanks for asking.

I love it and i can make more cards in a clearer work area.
I use bindersheets with velcro tabs to hold contents and file in bins. Cut my storage space down by more than 60 percent.
Brenda71 likes this post.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #14
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm with Sue. I break up sets and group images together, which are stored in categorized binders. There is virtually no market for used crafts so I don't worry about reselling them.
stamphappy1650 likes this post.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:11 AM   #15
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post
I pretty much give them away when I'm done. It's too much trouble to list everything and what have you (in my opinion), and there's always someone somewhere who would be thrilled to have them. Many of the sets are incomplete now, anyway, because I already gave away the stamps from them that I knew I would never use. Sometimes I end up only keeping one stamp out of an entire set, and most people are all-or-nothing, so I couldn't sell them anyway... As I'm sure you can tell, I don't really have an attachment to most of them. I have a handful that you will have to pry out of my cold, dead hands, but it truly is only a handful.
Totally agree as I do the same. I'm not going to keep something I'll never use.

I have several categories all based on how I use the stamp. For some I probably have way to many categories, but it really makes it easy for me to find a stamp.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:26 AM   #16
Hardware Hotshot

I am leaning toward organizing, at least, to start themes and greetings. In separate storage holders; probably SU boxes; as the closing is secure, for sure. I would keep an index sheet inside that box that shows what set that stamp belongs to next to a stamped image; for resale or tax donating in future; to return to original stamp set.
Binder indexing with image is not that convenient for me either.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Old 04-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #17
Embossing Fanatic

I use a double fridge bin and 3x5 index cards to stamp and file stamped images of my stamps. Holds thousands of cards. They are filed by holidays and themes. the card also contains info of which set the image is in. Makes it easy to find which of the many happy birthday or thank you, etc i want to use.
I can believe how organized I was for xmas and valentines day. Easter was a snap also and i found I used stamps Ive forgotten about.
I have plenty f space for notes on the back. I.e stamping hints or who i already used that image for.