Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craft space in the garage?

We live in a super small house. Our daughters have shared a room up until now, but since one is now a teenager, we're giving them their own rooms this summer. This means that I am losing my crafting/sewing room. :-(

There is nowhere else in the house for me to carve out a space that will work with my needs and amount of supplies. So, it looks like we are going to be converting a small corner of the garage. I am thrilled and concerned at the same time. I am worried about the temperature fluctuations out there. We will insulate as best as we can, but it will not be heated or cooled like the rest of the house. I will have to rely on a space heater and portable A/C unit.

I am wondering if anyone else has successfully created a space in their garage that isn't heated and cooled. We live in the SF Bay Area, so we don't get super cold or overly humid. But it does get into the 20's on a winter night and 100's on a summer day. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Well, first off I would say if you frame in a space and insulate it you will moderate those temperatures by a substantial amount. I have a detached garage that is insulated, and even with the overhead door, the temps in there are substantially warmer in the winter than it is outside. Carpet and padding would help more.

Be sure to insulate the roof part to 12 inches or thereabouts.

Then your space heater and little AC unit would deal with the rest of the temperature differences.

I think it would be a viable option! Good luck!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Our initial thought was to frame and insulate the side walls, but not the ceiling. I think we need to do that though and I think I can sell my husband on it by showing that it will be extra storage space that. is not on his garage floor. ;-p I was reading up about portable A/C units and I am also thinking that if we can swing it that either a wall unit or a ductless mini-split system will be the way to go. OTOH, if my daughter goes away to college in a few years it will not be that big of a deal as I can move back into the house at that point!

Thanks for the feedback, I am hoping to make this work for all of us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd also look into good flooring, with some padding even if you don't use carpet. Concrete floors are cold and can be hard on your back (and anything that drops on them!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

My crafting space is currently in the garage. Nothing special, just a desk and all my supplies. I bought an 8' folding table and put an 8' piece of melemine board on top to give it a more stable surface. My DH put some extra supports underneath it to help with the weight of my supplies and I have a storage cabinet next to the desk that holds just about everything. As far as the temperature fluctuations (I live in SoCal), it's not bad. I like summer so the heat doesn't bother me, or seem to have an affect on my stamps and such, but I do need a space heater for the winter months. It's not fun when my hands get too cold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks all! I am thinking this is pretty doable and starting to get more excited about it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think djkardkreations lives near the bay area and has blogged about crafting in her garage and now her playhouse. She is one of the nicest crafters I have followed and I bet she would be more than happy to give you any advice.
Reply With Quote Likes