Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree237Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #41
Matboard Maniac

Evesadornments--I'm going to do that soon. I need to place some of my stuff back into my bedroom closet. I like having everything where I can see it though.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Evesadornments likes this post.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #42
Insane Embellisher

So, I have gotten a little done. Took before pic and will get it on here sometime. Just taking a bunch of trash and horse blankets out helped - and the horse is warm tonight, too! Now I just have to figure out what to do with 5 sewing machines. DH and I are going to knock a lot of it out on Friday.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #43
Mad Swapper

what to do with 5 sewing machines: Craig's list or Freecycle come to mind
Old 11-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #44
Insane Embellisher

I think I'll keep three for sure. Maybe 4. I have a very, very nice Janome that was my mother's - she got it a few months before she passed away. I also have a slightly older Brother that I've had for about 20 years. It works fine, too, just not as smooth as my Janome. Then I have my 2 horse machines. Both are OLD, heavy duty beasts. I will definitely keep one of htem, but then the other won't take up much room, will it? Taht leaves me with one other, that someone gave me and I don't have a foot pedal for it. Maybe it can go.
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #45
Insane Embellisher

I'm about halfway done. We hauled out a bunch of trash, got rid of the love seat (!) and cleaned a lot of stuff up. I'm working on getting down to a few tubs for storing stuff - one for camp/kid craft stuff, one for fabric, one for photos. That will make a BIG difference. My table is about so wobbly it's needing attention, so will have to get new legs for it. I also put up another table for my sewing machine so I can leave it up 24/7. I'm on the way! Will keep working more tomorrow afternoon - have to go to work tonight.
see_susan_stamp and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #46
Kookie Creator

This is a great thread. I have a garage bay built into a stamp room and I love it. It used to be my goal to clean it and muck it out each year right after Christmas.... and I used to get it done every year. Two years ago I have sudden onset cardiac arrest. My husband did CPR on me until the medics got to our home and got my heart started. Needless to say I didn't do it at all that year and last year I only did it a bit. So, right after Christmas this year it's my goal to really muck it out, purge and clean it all up so I can enjoy it. I don't mind a mess while I'm creating but to be unable to find my things is unacceptable to me. Please, Lord, help me to keep this resolve.
ScrappinCEO, Brenda71, RiverIsis and 1 others like this post.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #47
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to diecuts4u
Default keeping it in order :(

Kate Stamps, so glad your hubby was with u when you had your heart spell. Do take it easy, keeping it tidy and organized is a real challenge isn't it. I just retired and that is my goal to get it all organized...........almost overwhelming to think about it but gives me a GOAL.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #48
Polyshrink Goddess

Organizing is always a work in progress! My hubby and I did our shared office last weekend and so far so good! We did a little work in there yesterday, he worked on his stuff and I did the shredding....trying to keep up with that otherwise the bin gets too full and it takes too long to do. Spent about two hours last weekend doing all of the shreds, yesterday only took 15 minutes! THAT I can live with!

Good luck to ALL of us who are in the process of organizing! May we all get where we want it to be and then have an easier time keeping up!

Kathy
GramMcCaul likes this post.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #49
Compulsive Stamper

I so need to clean up my craft room... or is it my collection of stuff I don't use room? You can never see the table, and since my mum and I share it with my dad's electronics stuff and we have both our computers in there too, my dad is always complaining he can't get in there! I also have boxes of household stuff for ebay etc in there. I need to stop buying and start using... One thing that did help was taking all the printed photos out of albums and putting them in the cropper hopper storage boxes. We turned a huge plastic box (like ginormous) into three shoe box sized storage boxes.
RiverIsis and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #50
Mad Swapper

I swear we crafters spend as much time tidying and organising as we do crafting. I had a major sort out last year, as I moved my crafting from one spare room, to my sons room when he moved out. redecorated it and put in Ikea storage,then moved everything across. The thing was, my craft room needed to be redecorated, and this way was easier than boxing it all up, to put back after. I was absolutely ruthless this time- normally my 'clear-out' is nothing more than moving stuff to new shelves! I decided that if I hadn't used it in the last 12 months or so, I never would, to be truthful with myself, so I had a box for charity, a couple of boxes for my grandchildren, a box for friends who would possibly use the stuff and a box for rubbish. I also unmounted all my wood mounted stamps- that alone gave me an enormous amount of room. The only ones I didn't get to were my Christmas stamps, those went in a box till this year. Just finished those this week, so that box has gone. I got rid of loads of decoupage papers- I bought loads when I started card making, but haven't done any for years now, so they were just taking up space. It does help to get yourself in a ruthless mind set- be totally honest. Will you really ever use it/ finish it/ try that technique? If not, let it go to someone who will, which was how I convinced myself!
Brenda71, gregzgurl, Jana Z and 1 others like this post.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #51
Kookie Creator

My "GREAT CLEAN UP" has begun. I've worked on it some for the past three days. I'm not able to do a whole lot in one day, but bit by bit it is coming together. It will be so good to have it clean and be able to find my things. I have three projects I need to get going on... one for my stamp club and two involving scrapbooking, so I need to work on the clean-up every day and get it done. I have a plan to give my purged items to my great granddaughter's Head Start class. I'm sure they can use paper, stickers and alphabets.

Last edited by Kate Stamps; 12-29-2013 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: to add a sentence.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #52
Forum Fanatic

I'm purging this week, as well. I've already got a 5" high stack of paper to take down the street to the elementary school. I can't remember the last time I used a sticker (if I EVER have), so they'll get those, too. I agree with Shazsilverwolf - a ruthless mindset is the only one that works! For me, the fact that I'll have to move everything across the country next fall helps. If it's not going with me, does it really need to be taking up valuable real estate now? I think not...

Brenda71 and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #53
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Ruthless. Yep. I need to ingrain that in my head. I have space for practically everything I have. Maybe not the best way to keep it all, but I CAN put everything away.

My REAL problem is actually PUTTING IT AWAY!

Procrastination is the enemy of organization!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Brenda71, dillyb5 and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #54
Stazon Splitcoast

I see some familiar faces on here. And it seems we all have a common denominator - we love our STUFF! LOL

I've not been in my Studio in at least 3 months... yet stuff keeps winding up in there and not where it belongs. Part of the problem began when I purged the sewing/ mixed media room. Some of the stuff in there belonged in the office/ Studio that also needed reorganizing.

So today I purge email so business can start on track Jan. 2nd. Tomorrow I'll work downstairs. I miss my creative space.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #55
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthenoni View Post
When it is messy, it is well used . At least that is what my grandmother used to say. Now keep in mind she could see the tops of her tables and everything but she still had a mess when she was using it.
If that is true, my whole house must be over-used!
Dea
Jana Z, bettyjoanes and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #56
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamperDea View Post
If that is true, my whole house must be over-used!
Dea
My house too! We have to move to a much smaller house this year, so that is helping me get rid of a lot of stuff. I don't want to move it all and then find it doesn't fit and I have to throw it!

I have been trying to work out a new paper storage system. Yesterday Spotlight had paper boxes half price, and they fit inside our cube shelves. So I bought 8 and today will move the paper into it, and take down the homemade rack. I do plan on getting rid of some paper too - some of it is 10 years old! I'm also going to go through the drawers of paper pads and take out the papers I like and get rid of the rest.
TangoAlphaMike likes this post.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #57
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm in the Studio all afternoon. Did not get down there yesterday. I'm planning to crank the tunes and get busy. In purging an email account yesterday I found a couple of inspiration posts for art journals I want to do. One is a daily gratitude journal.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #58
Compulsive Stamper

Well it's a new day and only half the paper is moved.... but hey, at least half the paper is moved!
Joan B and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #59
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter93 View Post
Well it's a new day and only half the paper is moved.... but hey, at least half the paper is moved!
Good job! Tomorrow is another day
Old 01-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #60
Stazon Splitcoast

I got part of the work table cleared off, sewing stuff moved back to the sewing room and some blog candy winnings put away. Also hit a bump in my reinker storage project but came up with Plan B I can implement tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #61
Stazon Splitcoast

I got an email that Tiffany Spaulding of ScrapRack is teaching her Get Organized course again beginning the middle of this month... around the 14th. I've taken the course before. It's good.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:59 AM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

My hubs and I cleared off my craft area and table for the holidays... most got put to the side but I like the way it looks ATM. So that is a strong incentive. Thanks for this thread. Part of my "problem" is I'm OCD about storage and want to do it once "right"....*sigh*

I have 2 sewing machines and 2 electronic die cutters I'm trying to find the perfect space for! I would love to have them set up to just use rather than having to set them up to use.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 01-02-2014 at 03:08 AM..
Old 01-02-2014, 03:35 AM   #63
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinCEO View Post
I got an email that Tiffany Spaulding of ScrapRack is teaching her Get Organized course again beginning the middle of this month... around the 14th. I've taken the course before. It's good.
I've taken it as well and found it immensely helpful. I don't have the volume that most of those taking the class have...but I was able to implement some very helpful things, and I can STILL find what I organized her way. Yea!

Her organizing system is based around her scraprack system, but you do NOT have to buy it or use it to learn a lot from the class.

Plus, it's free!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
TangoAlphaMike, ScrappinCEO and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #64
Pearl-ExPert

I've had to move my dies and Bigshot back to the old kitchen unit they were in before my revamp, the new drawers are just a tad higher and I was struggling to turn the handle, I think I may be a while before I'm totally happy where everything is, my husband thinks it's highly amusing that I'm so over the moon with my new look craft room, his face was a picture when he saw my dies in the drawer, he said with a straight face, so why do you still have a wish list, then I opened the second drawer, at that point we both collapsed with laughter.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #65
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
My hubs and I cleared off my craft area and table for the holidays... most got put to the side but I like the way it looks ATM. So that is a strong incentive. Thanks for this thread. Part of my "problem" is I'm OCD about storage and want to do it once "right"....*sigh*

I have 2 sewing machines and 2 electronic die cutters I'm trying to find the perfect space for! I would love to have them set up to just use rather than having to set them up to use.
OCD is my issue as well. Never realized it until my daughter and granddaughter moved in with us for awhile about 5 years ago. Watching my GD I learned real quick what my issues were LOL

Which electronic die cutting machines do you have?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #66
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan31 View Post
I've had to move my dies and Bigshot back to the old kitchen unit they were in before my revamp, the new drawers are just a tad higher and I was struggling to turn the handle, I think I may be a while before I'm totally happy where everything is, my husband thinks it's highly amusing that I'm so over the moon with my new look craft room, his face was a picture when he saw my dies in the drawer, he said with a straight face, so why do you still have a wish list, then I opened the second drawer, at that point we both collapsed with laughter.
Jan... are you guys still doing the S2S thread? If so, could you PM me a link, please. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #67
Kookie Creator

My clean-up is almost done. I have about 1/4 of it left. I will be so happy when it's done. I do make messes when I'm creating so it often does get messy but that's a lot different than a mess where I can't find anything. At any rate I will NOT start any of my projects until the cleaning is done and I can find things. I have a project for my stamp club that meets next Thursday night.... so I guess I'd better get off here and go clean some more.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #68
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
OCD is my issue as well. Never realized it until my daughter and granddaughter moved in with us for awhile about 5 years ago. Watching my GD I learned real quick what my issues were LOL

Which electronic die cutting machines do you have?
An original silhouette and a cricut expression (the OCD thing again...)

I bought another cube today at 50% off. Going to assemble it and then organize it with my other 2 and see how they line up with the 2 drawer filing cabinets we have in another part of the house that I have my eye on...

This will take a few weeks as I will have to reorganize a few areas.to get this done. And of course get some crafting done...those dratted birthdays and holidays!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #69
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
An original silhouette and a cricut expression (the OCD thing again...)

I bought another cube today at 50% off. Going to assemble it and then organize it with my other 2 and see how they line up with the 2 drawer filing cabinets we have in another part of the house that I have my eye on...

This will take a few weeks as I will have to reorganize a few areas.to get this done. And of course get some crafting done...those dratted birthdays and holidays!
Progress is progress. Love repurposing stuff.

I got the frame work for the ink sorter glued together. Debating about trying to roll a paint roller over the top so it will look pretty (or like junk) then just glue it to the base and I can put my reinkers/ mister bottles/ spots away in their new home.

I also copied select pages from 3 issues of CK magazine. Only about 8 issues left and they will all be gone!

We'll see what tomorrow brings. Tonight I have to work on this novella if I'm to get it written by end of the month.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #70
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Stamps View Post
My clean-up is almost done. I have about 1/4 of it left. I will be so happy when it's done. I do make messes when I'm creating so it often does get messy but that's a lot different than a mess where I can't find anything. At any rate I will NOT start any of my projects until the cleaning is done and I can find things. I have a project for my stamp club that meets next Thursday night.... so I guess I'd better get off here and go clean some more.
Great job, Kate!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #71
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Progress is progress. Love repurposing stuff.

I got the frame work for the ink sorter glued together. Debating about trying to roll a paint roller over the top so it will look pretty (or like junk) then just glue it to the base and I can put my reinkers/ mister bottles/ spots away in their new home.

I also copied select pages from 3 issues of CK magazine. Only about 8 issues left and they will all be gone!

We'll see what tomorrow brings. Tonight I have to work on this novella if I'm to get it written by end of the month.
are you building ink storage?
care to share a photo? Thanks
I have 2 huge white units. Stor-more I think.
great stoarge. just much too large. I like each storage item to be as small as possible
so I'm always looking for "the best" solution
Old 01-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #72
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcountry311 View Post
great stoarge. just much too large. I like each storage item to be as small as possible
I'll have step by step photos on my blog - hopefully next week. I've designed it to hold a mister bottle, a reinker and a spot in each of the current colors. The unit sits on top of my Ikea 8-drawer paper cabinet so all the ink colors I use are close at hand.

I'll let you know when it goes up on the blog.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #73
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcountry311 View Post
My absolute favorite storage solution in my studio is my repurposed entertainment center. Can't remember if here is where I posted the pic with my stamp storage so will repost a link to my gallery.

I stripped it all out and designed drawers for the things I needed to store. The unit has been rearranged from this but the drawers are still the same:
Contained Creativity by ScrappinCEO - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 01-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #75
Insane Embellisher

I finished cleaning up and organizing yesterday. Of course things will change as I buy more stuff or decide to get rid of stuff or find new storage solutions. But for the moment it's finished, neat and tidy. It felt fabulous coming in here this morning and seeing the clean floor and tidy desk and shelves!

Free cat hair with every card!
ScrappinCEO, Brenda71, Phantom and 1 others like this post.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #76
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneB1030 View Post
I finished cleaning up and organizing yesterday. Of course things will change as I buy more stuff or decide to get rid of stuff or find new storage solutions. But for the moment it's finished, neat and tidy. It felt fabulous coming in here this morning and seeing the clean floor and tidy desk and shelves!
I know the feeling. Just going downstairs, knowing I can get to my paper cabinet makes me smile ... and encourages me to get the rest of it done. LOL
Phantom and DianneB1030 like this post.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #77
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to TangoAlphaMike

Oh fun! Love organizing and reading about organizing...ugh.....such a nerd, must be in the right place. Ha!

I REALLY want to see pics of you guys awesome spaces, before and after!

I have inherited my Grams hutches the kind with glass doors you would put pretty dishes in...well I would rather have all my pretty craft supplies in there. MAN do they hold a lot of stuff.
ScrappinCEO, gregzgurl, RiverIsis and 2 others like this post.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #78
Stazon Splitcoast

I think everyone is in craft space/ organization mode. The front page of my Pinterest was FULL of mostly pretty crafting spaces.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #79
Stazon Splitcoast

it can be done and is worth every moment. even if we have to do it multiple times!
TangoAlphaMike likes this post.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #80
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am SO glad I am not alone... I have purged several times lately... but only recently have I admitted that I am NOT "that stamper" that can use THOSE THINGS... it's not me, who I am or how I create... although others cards (yes they sucked me in) are gorgeous... I just am not there... nor do I think I ever will be, I'll just drool without touching! I ended up giving away 1,000's of dollars to a coworkers wife who is VERY Crafty... just a 1 income family.

Here are pictures of my cave AFTER cleanup and I have TONS of breathing space and I LOVE IT!!!!!

img_8815.jpg

img_8816.jpg

img_8817.jpg

img_8818.jpg

img_8820.jpg

img_8821.jpg
ChrisO, Joan B, TangoAlphaMike and 5 others like this post.