Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12x12" rolling paper organizer from Staples

A year or so ago, these carts were about the only thing I could find locally to organize my 12x12" paper, so I bought one. I forget the name of it, but I think it had a "Z" in its name, and I bought it at Staples. I'm attaching a picture of mine. (Please excuse the mess. My craft room is literally torn apart right now while I'm organizing.)

At the time, I didn't realize that I could only get about 12" deep of paper into it. I thought I'd be able to use the bottom, too, but the rest of the cart apparently doesn't work for 12x12" paper, only 8.5 x 11".

So I'm wondering ... Is there any way to adapt this cart? Or do I need to look for another solution? I've been simply stacking my papers next to the cart, trying to think of a solution, but I'm tired of looking at it and need to do something. I need twice as much storage space as I currently have in the cart.

If this cart isn't going to work, do you have any ideas for a reasonably-priced alternative? I don't want to spend all of my saved-up craft money on a paper organizer.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Attached Thumbnails
12x12" rolling paper organizer from Staples-100_1144.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Okay, I did find it on the Staples website. It's called Z-line, and it's the longer one. They didn't have the shorter one at the time.

At any rate, what I'm really needing to know is if it would compromise the sturdiness of the cart if I sawed off one of the front-to-back supports on the bottom. The only reason I was thinking of that is that I could actually fit another row of folders at the bottom ... However, I don't want my $50 cart to just fall apart and crinkle all my paper, either.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2010, 03:34 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm sorry that I can't help with your original question, but I do have an idea for you. You can maximize your remaining top space by making your own hanging folders out of legal hanging folders. (I'm assuming it's made for legal size.)

I've been unable to find the tutorial I used (somewhere here), but you take two legal size hanging folders, cut the top half of both sides off one and cut about two-thirds from the bottom off the sides of the other. Tape the short tops to the deep bottoms together with packaging tape, and you have hanging folders that will hold 12 x 12 paper. I did this, and even though they're not beautiful, they're functional (and inexpensive). You could get several more folders on the top of your cart using this method.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

What a great idea, jennyleigh! Thanks for that tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

It looks like the front to back rails provide stability to the unit as well as a place to hang folders. I wouldn't cut one off if I were you. (I'm a structural engineer by education, LOL) But I'd have to see the actual unit before saying that for sure.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Cropper Hopper has 12x12 hanging file folders that fit in that cart. I have that cart myself. The hanging files are the same width as legal ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

In regards to post #3, I have some folders I made with that same tutorial. They're actually a good bit wider than the plastic folders you see on the cart in the picture, so they wouldn't save me any space. (I got those folders at Goodwill, and I don't remember the name on them, but they're the same size at the JetMax folders, only they're plastic.)

Also, once I put in the row of 12x12" hanging folders, there isn't room for a 2nd row of 12x12" at the top. Does that make sense?

Anyway, for some reason, I didn't get any updates to the thread, and my husband and I did something else instead.

I asked him what he thought, and he said that the whole bottom "shelf" can come off. (He's the one that put it together.) He took it off, and now I have room on the bottom for another row of hanging 12x12" file folders. They "overlap" the top folders by a very slight margin, but it's a workable solution since it costs me nothing and accomplishes what I set out to do.

If my cart happens to collapse, I'll be sure to post an update so you know! Seriously, though, it has several built-in supports to keep its shape, and my husband didn't think this would create too much strain. I don't wheel it around at all; I just keep it stationary.

I'm attaching a picture of the finished product, since they're always worth a thousand words. Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
12x12" rolling paper organizer from Staples-100_1155.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #8  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey you straightened up for us! Now we all feel guilty for our messes LOL!

glad that worked for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Don't feel guilty. Some people just work fine in messes, and others don't. I tend to be a messy crafter for awhile, and then it overwhelms me all at once and I have to pull it all out and organize.
Reply With Quote Likes