Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Hope You Can Cling To Challenge Forum (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/hope-you-can-cling-challenge-forum-f299/)
-   -   HYCCT1326 Mix it up - Mixed Media Chat Thread (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/hope-you-can-cling-challenge-forum-f299/hycct1326-mix-up-mixed-media-chat-thread-t580028.html)

SinCityGal 09-28-2013 08:37 PM

HYCCT1326 Mix it up - Mixed Media Chat Thread

5 Attachment(s)
Challenge Title : Mixing It Up - Mixed Media
Hostess : SinCityGal - Lisa
Keyword : HYCCT1326
Date : Saturday, October 26, 2013

Sometimes to keep your sanity when times are stressful, tough, or just aren't going your way you just have to mix things up a little. Y'know? Change the tempo. Do things a little differently.

My challenge to you is to create a card using MIXED MEDIA!! Don't be scared. It's not hard, I promise. And I'm sure you already have the tools, items you need to make a really scrumptious, glorious, something-special kind of card.
  • mixed me·di·a
  • A technique involving the use of two or more artistic media, such as ink and pastel or painting and collage, that are combined in a single composition.

If you need any help or ideas, Splitcoaststampers has a wonderful Mixed Media challenge every Friday. Check out the challenge forum HERE if you just have no idea how to start, but you really want to play along - which I really hope you do!

View the Gallery for This Challenge HERE
View the Hope You Can Cling To Gallery HERE
View the Hope You Can Cling To Master Challenge Thread HERE

UPLOADING INSTRUCTIONS:
1. All Hope You Can Cling To Challenge Entries must be uploaded to the Hope You Can Cling To Gallery , with the specific challenge keyword , no later than November 7th, 2013 at 12:00 Noon Central Time to be eligible for our fabulous prizes! Post a link to your entry in this thread.

2. You may not combine challenges , but you are welcome to create multiple cards for each challenge.

3. Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.

4. Please package all challenge entries with an envelope, protected with a clear plastic bag and mail them to our partner at the UT MD Anderson Cancer Center to benefit patients being treated for breast cancer and their family. We would like for them to receive cards throughout the month of October, but we understand if you'd like to mail all your cards at once.

5. Since these cards will be used by visitors for patients, most should be blank inside, but feel free to send cards with messages of hope for the patients in addition to your challenge cards!

The Department of Volunteer Services – Unit 115
Attn: Maggi Suttles
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Boulevard
Houston, TX 77030

(Please note - because MD Anderson is part of the State of Texas, they ask that no religious sentiments be used on cards sent to the Cancer Center)

Thank you for participating in this card drive!

muzbysmom 10-26-2013 04:31 AM

I have absolutely no idea what mixed media is! What I think it is would be using two different things to color with or perhaps stamp (ink) and then color?

ohmypaper! 10-26-2013 04:38 AM

Lynn, check out the mixed media thread here at SCS Mix-Ability Challenge - Splitcoaststampers

Lydia has a thread that gives a list of items that could be used in a thread titled "what is the mix-ability challenge"

Mixed media is really a LOT of fun!! Can't wait to see what you create!!!

hobbydujour 10-26-2013 04:38 AM

Fun challenge....and easy to do. Thanks.

SNOWY DAY

Clownmom 10-26-2013 04:54 AM

Another challenge that I really had to think about before I started. Here's my final result:

Mixed Butterfly

jeenny2010 10-26-2013 05:13 AM

Splitcoaststampers Member Galleries - jeenny2010 - Handmade Cards & Crafts
here is mine i love playing with paints & stamps

muscrat 10-26-2013 05:19 AM

I don't understand mixed media?? Does that mean stamping and paint or can I stamp on something that was gesso'd? I just am not getting it. My brain must still be asleep.

jeenny2010 10-26-2013 05:23 AM

I just dabbed paint on a background stamp & made sure it was dry then all over with different distress inks ,then spritzed water with perfect pearls in it . That is was all i did. Hope this helps clear your mind

JBgreendawn 10-26-2013 05:35 AM

This is a link to my sample ( which has a link in the post to a crop shot on the blog) thanks for this challenge Lisa!
Fly ~ HYCCT1326 by JBgreendawn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

eta my sample was colored with copic markers, gel pens, glitter pens, and prisma pencils.

muzbysmom 10-26-2013 05:37 AM

I appreciate that link but it still doesn't help me understand mixed media. Maybe I'm just dumb or something. What I'll do is stamp an image and color and hope for the best. I often use both markers and copics and in my book that's "mixing" "media". I think it's a terminology issue with me by the "media" thing.

coffeestamper 10-26-2013 06:24 AM

This was tough for me...took me way out of my comfort zone and after 3 trys with different things this is what worked best for me...
HYCCT1326-MIXED MEDIA! by coffeestamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

muzbysmom 10-26-2013 07:08 AM

Here's my card. I hope acrylic paint and markers counts....

Lynn's HYCCT1326 Mix it up - Mixed Media Acrylic Paint and SU Markers by muzbysmom - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

muscrat 10-26-2013 07:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm having an awful time uploading my card today. I will try to attach it here. It is trying to say it needs to be jpeg and it is...doing everything the same, it's just not working.

I used the Bokeh technique with gelatos and also used alcohol based markers and ink and a gel pen for highlights.

tessaduck 10-26-2013 07:48 AM

I finished it. I don't hate it.

HYCCT1326 clout by tessaduck - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

peeps321 10-26-2013 07:53 AM

Here's mine..got my Gelli plate out this morning ;)

Small Stars

SinCityGal 10-26-2013 09:25 AM

I'm sorry you're all having a tough time understanding what mixed media is. It's really kind of simple once you get the hang of it. You're just mixing a few different "mediums" such as stamping, markers, paint, alcohol ink, gesso, modeling paste, sprays, watercolor pencils, watercolor crayons, encaustic, collage,etc.

I hope this helps!

SinCityGal 10-26-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawn (Post 20388128)
This is a link to my sample ( which has a link in the post to a crop shot on the blog) thanks for this challenge Lisa!
Fly ~ HYCCT1326 by JBgreendawn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

eta my sample was colored with copic markers, gel pens, glitter pens, and prisma pencils.

Stunning card!! Wowza! :D

SinCityGal 10-26-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzbysmom (Post 20388132)
I appreciate that link but it still doesn't help me understand mixed media. Maybe I'm just dumb or something. What I'll do is stamp an image and color and hope for the best. I often use both markers and copics and in my book that's "mixing" "media". I think it's a terminology issue with me by the "media" thing.

All that "media" means is MEDIUMS - such as ink, paint, markers, etc. You are combining two or more of these MEDIUMS into one final piece. Like a card, canvas, or whatever you choose.

I really hope this helps more. And I'm sorry that the word "media" had you confused.

SinCityGal 10-26-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscrat (Post 20388222)
I'm having an awful time uploading my card today. I will try to attach it here. It is trying to say it needs to be jpeg and it is...doing everything the same, it's just not working.

I used the Bokeh technique with gelatos and also used alcohol based markers and ink and a gel pen for highlights.

You still need to upload it to the gallery to be eligible for prizes. So, please try again.

But, seriously? Wow!! And YAY for using Gelatos!! Thumbs up from me!!

tessaduck 10-26-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCityGal (Post 20388337)
I'm sorry you're all having a tough time understanding what mixed media is. It's really kind of simple once you get the hang of it. You're just mixing a few different "mediums" such as stamping, markers, paint, alcohol ink, gesso, modeling paste, sprays, watercolor pencils, watercolor crayons, encaustic, collage,etc.

I hope this helps!

There's a lively conversation in the chatter thread about mixed media. I threw a tantrum and got lots of feedback/support/sympathy.

SinCityGal 10-26-2013 10:09 AM

Uh-ohhhh!!! Do I really want to look, Brenda?

muscrat 10-26-2013 10:16 AM

YAY YAY YAY! Doin' the happy dance. Cleaned up the computer and now I can upload again! PTL!!

Here's my card: HYCCT1326 Butterfly mixed media by muscrat - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

SinCityGal 10-26-2013 10:17 AM

Woohooo!!! Off to comment, Kathy. :)

muscrat 10-26-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCityGal (Post 20388403)
Woohooo!!! Off to comment, Kathy. :)

I was so upset earlier. I came this far and haven't missed a day so I didn't want to have to quit now! And I couldn't upload from my phone. I couldn't get it to recognize the file to upload from there. Anyway, God is good (I prayed a LOT) and I am back in working order! Woo Hoo!!

Crafty Julia 10-26-2013 10:23 AM

HYCCT1326 Christmas Owl

did some threading, floss wrapping, coloring, embossing, gluing and die cuts for my multi layered owl card- here's Christmas Owl

Crafty Julia 10-26-2013 10:44 AM

HYCCT1326 Willow Fairy

Just got this wonderful large stamp- and added some sponging to my colored image to bring out the hues. Background is embossed and colored, and I added some pearls, too. Here's Willow Fairy

ohmypaper! 10-26-2013 11:54 AM

I love playing with mixed media but this is a bit of a rush job squeezed in between a day out of the house and an evening next door helping with my neighbor's party! Thanks for the super fun challenge!

Courage

janeenk 10-26-2013 01:15 PM

If this doesn't qualify as mixed media, let me know and I will make another. I haven't done anything this simple in forever and I like the clean look of it. BTW in my books ohmypaper (Angie) is the queen of mixed media bc she does not so messy mixed media but lots of texture and colors. She has encouraged me to try some other things. I never thought I would do messy mixed media but I do enjoy it now and again, but this card didnt want to be messy. LOL. Mixed media lite by janeenk - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

terry serman 10-26-2013 01:49 PM

OK-I gave it a try:
HYCCT1326 Mixed Up Media by terry serman - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

scrapaholic007 10-26-2013 02:15 PM

Dear Hostess, this was a !FUN! challenge! :D

Here's my card: Life Happens

SinCityGal 10-26-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapaholic007 (Post 20388623)
Dear Hostess, this was a !FUN! challenge! :D

Here's my card: Life Happens

Yay!! So glad you had fun. :D

stamp300 10-26-2013 02:35 PM

Hoping my Glossy Accents & Fabric Pointsettia comes out, waiting for it to dry.

bensarmom 10-26-2013 02:49 PM

Here's my card for today's challenge.

SinCityGal 10-26-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp300 (Post 20388652)
Hoping my Glossy Accents & Fabric Pointsettia comes out, waiting for it to dry.

Can't wait to see!

Stamperrobin 10-26-2013 02:51 PM

Here is my Mixed up card LOL!!
HYCCT1326 LOVE by Stamperrobin - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers :D

stamp300 10-26-2013 05:49 PM

HYCCT1326 Season's Greetings by stamp300 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Here's my fabric pointsettia.

It's Ree 10-26-2013 06:44 PM

I had fun looking though the mixed media postings.
Thank you!
Here is my card .

hotwheels 10-26-2013 08:11 PM

I did the card with my on wrist I hope I did it right? Will upload later. thanks hotwheels

Misstreez 10-26-2013 08:19 PM

Loved doing this challenge.

Mixing Birds and Branches by Misstreez - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers