Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Cook22
  • 1 Post By JBgreendawn
  • 1 Post By LuvLee
  • 1 Post By susie australia
  • 1 Post By Cook22
  • 1 Post By gl1253
  • 1 Post By Margscardcrazy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

I'm Sabrina ~ one of the volunteers here at SCS: some of you already know me since I'm on the teams hostessing the Technique Lovers and Ways to Use It challenges, and some may know me from gallery moderating. I was also honoured to be invited onto the Dirt Pile earlier this year, so I feel no need at all to add a recent photo of myself here, but have trawled my archives instead. Luckily I took on a project a couple of Christmases ago of scanning a lot of my dad's old slides and saving them digitally .

Here are my brother and I some forty-something years ago. This week I am still out in the garden picking blackberries for jam - and apple and blackberry Brown Betty. I've used Victoria's (sewsplendidstamper) recipe from the Hope You're Hungry Recipe Box so often that I know it by heart now. Although this year DH has rediscovered a love for blackberry jam, so I've been making that instead. (Well, - after linking the Recipe Box thread I discover that V must only have shared that particular recipe in a chat thread before the Recipe Box was incarnated! But I'll leave the link - it's worth checking that thread if you like cooking )

We loved playing outdoors - my sister less so, but I was a real tomboy and played a lot with my brother. This pedal-car was really his - but we shared .

Growing up with no television, we made our own fun! This was an Easter Egg box puppet theatre, and in the background a much-loved and well-used old valve radio.

We grew up with a whole household of pets, some of whom came on holidays with us. My cat didn't like the car, so she didn't travel, but this Siamese cat loved coming on holidays with us when we went up to the North or the West for two weeks, and we had another big tabby later on who used to come along in the car during the summer holidays when we would all drive to the nearby beach for a pre-breakfast swim. Many of our pets had unusual names: the Siamese pictured below was called Pandora after the Greek myth. We had Rohrschach, a black poodle; Socrates, a jackdaw ( type of crow); Gulliver was a seagull who spent a summer in the garden recovering from a broken wing. My beloved cat was Andante, after the musical tempo, and her two all-black kittens were Crotchet and Quaver, which is what we call quarter and eighth notes. And Moses, of course, was rescued from drowning.

Again growing up without television I was always making and doing. I loved dress-making and still have my dress form, but sadly it's hard to find time these days. Here I think I'm about nineteen - and that was a lovely Vogue pattern from some designer like Christian Dior or perhaps Calvin Klein

Apart from card-making, I love reading, cooking, knitting, embroidery, photography and music. I play the piano and flute; DH sings and plays the guitar, with an interest in the sax and clarinet also. When we go away on holidays here in Ireland, or take the car to go camping in France, we always seem to end up packing a LOT of stuff to bring with us, what with instruments, music and music stands, photography gear and enough books to keep us happy. In case you are wondering about my username, cooking was my first love and I used to work as a cook; mostly for private families who could afford the luxury. These days I have a part-time job as a beer-taster.

This month means a lot to me because years ago we had a very good friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer and stayed with us after her surgery and during her treatment. She went on to marry and have two lovely girls, but sadly died several years ago from secondary cancers. She has been the inspiration behind my challenges for the last couple of years - "Chicken S-O-U-P" because I always used to make a very light cream of chicken soup when she came back from her chemo sessions, and "It's a Cover-Up" from when I had to make her a little jacket to wear over her strappy dress for her sister's wedding. For last month's Dirty Dozen theme I made a card in her memory - here is one of my favourite photos from her wedding, of her and her father tuning their violins up to play a song after the meal; it was this photo that inspired my DD card.

This month while I make my cards I am remembering another friend who is sadly also dying from her secondary cancers , but also a friend who is now a nearly 2-year survivor. Thank you all for joining in and creating your hearts out to provide support and encouragement to those suffering from breast cancer.
SCS Photo Challenge #203 ~ Trees
Ways to Use It : Thursday Challenge ~ Happy Anniversary (CASE your first upload)
Techniques ~ Monday is Technique Time -TLC503: Pencil Erasers
It's October. That means it must be time for HOPE YOU CAN CLING TO all month long! Come along and join in the fun.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
scrapaholic007 and LuvLee like this post.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:54 AM   #2
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

So fun to learn all this about you Sabrina and your photos are fantastic!!!

Your little puppet theater is beyond adorable!!

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 10-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Sabrina, thanks for sharing so much! I love your photos they remind me of simpler times. I encourage my kids not to let their little one spend too much time with electronics. Ooooh I wish I could get a car like that for my sweet grandson, it's awesome!

Thank you for your challenge. At first I was doubtful but after seeing the amazing samples I am excited to try it! Haven't used my cute little stapler in a long while.

100 creations in 100 days 33/100
This is your life.
Are you who you want to be?
Old 10-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Staple away, Cher! I'm hoping to see a few people dust theirs off. The way Holly (hbrown) custom-coloured her staples was SO neat.
Ways to Use It : Thursday Challenge ~ Happy Anniversary (CASE your first upload)
It's October. That means it must be time for HOPE YOU CAN CLING TO all month long! Come along and join in the fun.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Oops - double post.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Great to learn even more about you, Sabrina! A fun challenge. I was stumped, my son looked at me and said "washi tape, mom". So I let him make it! Smart boy, that one!

My Blog: Stampin' on the Fly
Old 10-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I knew you would have fun photos to share I love that peddle car I am guessing your brother was lucky to have time to ride it too haha.
Cook22 likes this post.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Lovely reading your story, Sabrina, and seeing the fun photos you loaded - very stylish outfit you made indeed!! You certainly are a very interesting lady with all the interests you have and it is incredible the amount of time you give to this site
Old 10-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Send a message via MSN to PaperPunchScissors
BCRibbon

Sabrina, I loved your photo's. A child who was born to run free and create! I'm a big fan of "no TV" and glad our son and DIL decided to do that too. I haven't had a chance to play your challenge yet, but when I do... I have a big surprise Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us here on SCS.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Loved the photos, Sabrina, and thank you for sharing a part of your life with us! I have an older brother by 16 months, and since we are the first 2 out of 5, we played together a lot. Mom said we used to play cars and trucks in the dirt with the bugs and worms quite often!

Make the most of today, because tomorrow holds no guarantees!
Old 10-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Coordinator

Send a message via Yahoo to LuvLee

You are so creative and always doing the coolest things! I love "hearing" your adventures....someday I realllllly want to visit....I just have to sample enough of that beer to knock me out so I don't mind the plane trip! lol

PaperPunchScissors likes this post.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #12
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Sabrina it was so great to learn more about you and see all the terrific photos. You are a very special person in our house!!!!

Don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.
Cook22 likes this post.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #13
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperPunchScissors View Post
Sabrina, I loved your photo's. A child who was born to run free and create! I'm a big fan of "no TV" and glad our son and DIL decided to do that too. I haven't had a chance to play your challenge yet, but when I do... I have a big surprise Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us here on SCS.
We still have no TV. DH would like one for sport but is happy to do without. I do say thank goodness for DVDs so we can get documentaries and movies from the library. We watched even less in the old video days, LOL.

Funniest thing was just about a month ago when we were randomly picked by a MORI poll to do a survey on - TV watching habits . It was very quick. We don't even use the TV players on the computer. And some radio programs we sit and listen to together, just as my family did with that big old radio when I was growing up.
PaperPunchScissors likes this post.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #14
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin'nana View Post
Loved the photos, Sabrina, and thank you for sharing a part of your life with us! I have an older brother by 16 months, and since we are the first 2 out of 5, we played together a lot. Mom said we used to play cars and trucks in the dirt with the bugs and worms quite often!
How funny, Roberta. That's exactly the gap between me and my brother, only I'm older. And then there's 16 months between him and our younger sister. They did indoor stuff like Plasticine together.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
Proud Fan Club Member

fun pics, Sabrina, except the last which is very poignant and such a good memory for you and a reminder for us all to enjoy each moment and make good memories. Thanks for sharing a bit of yourself with us/
Old 10-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #16
Proud Fan Club Member

Send a message via AIM to gl1253

Its good to hear that I am not the only one who doesn't like TV. I'd rather be in my craftroom. I love Ireland and spent a few weeks there seeing the whole country. I don't drink but I sure did develop an affinity for the cream there! Nothing better on the wonderful apple pies served there.

Glad to get to know you better.

Gayle
Cook22 likes this post.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #17
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1253 View Post
Its good to hear that I am not the only one who doesn't like TV. I'd rather be in my craftroom. I love Ireland and spent a few weeks there seeing the whole country. I don't drink but I sure did develop an affinity for the cream there! Nothing better on the wonderful apple pies served there.

Glad to get to know you better.
i don't like TV either. we don't have one.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

Sabrina, what a great life and thanks for sharing with us. Sorry about your friends and may you stay cancer free! Thanks for sharing part of your life and enjoy all that you want! tfs

CCC, MMTPT, QFTD156, Cards for a Cause, Fan Club Member

Rita/scootsv
Old 10-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #19
Proud Fan Club Member

Hi Sabrina, loved to hear about your childhood and growing up.

I grew up in Tasmania and ran free and wild for most of my child hood (what am I talking about, I still run free and wild) we had seven creeks that we could reach in a day.

We are heading over your way in 17 months (I retire) to look for the family roots.

Lots of Australians do that.

My great grandfather left Ireland in the early 1800's

My maiden name is "Reilly" I believe our clan were bits of rat-bags so I'm not sure what I'm going to find.
Hugs
Marg

Marg down under

My Gallery - My Blog
To practice any art no matter how well or badly is to let the soul soar!
susie australia likes this post.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #20
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margscardcrazy View Post
Hi Sabrina, loved to hear about your childhood and growing up.

I grew up in Tasmania and ran free and wild for most of my child hood (what am I talking about, I still run free and wild) we had seven creeks that we could reach in a day.

We are heading over your way in 17 months (I retire) to look for the family roots.

Lots of Australians do that.

My great grandfather left Ireland in the early 1800's

My maiden name is "Reilly" I believe our clan were bits of rat-bags so I'm not sure what I'm going to find.
Hugs
Marg
Make sure you get in touch when you do come over!!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:00 AM   #21
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

So great to learn more about you Sabrina!!! Love your photos! I too grew up without TV... don't think it hurt us a bit!!!

My BLOG

No card is complete without at least one cat hair
DT: Our Daily Bread designs
Happily a Fan Club Member
Romans 6:23