Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Austin, TX
HYCCT1501A Whatever the Weather Chat Thread
Please copy and paste this and edit for your challenge - this is the official challenge format!
Challenge Title: Whatever the Weather
Hostess: UnderstandBlue (Lydia)
Date: October 1st, 2015
Welcome to Hope You Can Cling To! We are thrilled you are here with us, and we have some amazingly creative challenges for you for the month - from some alumni of this challenge and some great new hosts as well. Every year I'm in awe of their creativity - if you could just give them a round of virtual applause right now, I'd appreciate it!
Remember that the most important part of this challenges is actually mailing your cards to MD Anderson - this challenge is such a blessing to the patients and their families, and we are incredibly grateful for your generosity throughout the month.
So let's get started, shall we?
My first challenge this year has endurance in its heart. Every year I'm amazed by strong men and women who just face this disease with dignity and strength - doing the best with the hand they are dealt. So I used this "stiff upper lip" poem as my starting point.
Whether the weather be fine
Or whether the weather be not,
Whether the weather be cold
Or whether the weather be hot,
We'll weather the weather
Whatever the weather,
Whether we like it or not. ~Anonymous British poet
Every year, we turn something we dislike (cancer) into something beautiful - thousands of stunning cards that become blessings for countless people who are weathering the weather. Since I live in a place with almost NO weather - I find myself grumbling when it's cloudy or rainy, which is infrequent.
So my challenge to you is to make a card representing your LEAST favorite weather condition.
For me, that is without a doubt rain. (Followed closely by snow, which is really just cold rain). I don't like water much at all - not the ocean, not rain, not snow, not plumbing problems.
But I find it lovely on paper, and it allows me to make the best of it.
I did a Periscope tease of this challenge in September, and I let the audience decide which of these two would be my challenge sample - they chose the crisper one. I'm including both because I wanted you to see the process and how different the two things I did end up. I did a quick video on them for you as well.
I cannot wait to see what you do - you all amaze me.
Bless you for being a part of this. We appreciate you.
1. All Hope You Can Cling To Challenge Entries must be uploaded to the Hope You Can Cling To Gallery, with the specific challenge keyword, no later than November 7th, 2015 at 12:00 Noon Central Time to be eligible for our fabulous prizes! Post a link to your entry in this thread.
2. You may not combine challenges, but you are welcome to create multiple cards for each challenge.
3. Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
4. Please package all challenge entries with an envelope, protected with a clear plastic bag and mail them to our partner at the UT MD Anderson Cancer Center to benefit patients being treated for breast cancer and their family. We would like for them to receive cards throughout the month of October, but we understand if you'd like to mail all your cards at once.
5. Since these cards will be used by visitors for patients, most should be blank inside, but feel free to send cards with messages of hope for the patients in addition to your challenge cards!
The Department of Volunteer Services – Unit 115
Attn: Maggi Suttles
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Boulevard
Houston, TX 77030
I did struggle with how to portray my least favorite weather condition...HEAT! Since that comes primarily from the sun (duh!) I used sun rays to show heat. But I don't struggle with sunlight!?! In fact I love sunlight.
You have kicked things off with a thoughtful challenge, Lydia. Rain always brings me down, but I do have to add that with our California drought even I would be happy to see a few drops now. The best part of the rain is when the sun triumphantly returns. Here's my card conveying that:
__________________ Mary ~~ Proud Fan Club Member ~~ QFTD #152 CC Guest Design Team Member for October 2012 & August 2013 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
If I had to walk or drive in snow, I'd probably hate it more than any other weather. But since I live in the inland are of sunny SoCal, it's the heat that I hate. My card: Let Your Light Shine
By the way. I love, Love, LOVE the rain! It is a rarity here, especially a good rainstorm with thunder and lightning. This video gives a pretty good idea of what it's like for us SoCal folks when it rains. When it rains in Los Angeles