Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Grandma Metzger's Fruit Bread

***Just a word of warning-I copied this the way my grandma wrote it and she is definitely NOT a regular writer of recipes-way more of an instinctive cook! It makes a TON of bread though she doesn't say how many loaves; she tended to make hers in whatever cans she had around instead of loaf pans. I have one huge bowl that pretty much only gets used for this recipe....we call it the grandma bowl. I'm sure you could scale it down, but when you have 15 kids like she did your recipes are HUGE!

Hutsel-Fruit Bread
2 packages prunes 1 pkg dried apricots 1 pkg dried peaches
1 pkg dried figs Candied fruits if you like (my grandma didn’t use them)
1 pkg raisins
nuts-black walnuts if you have them
12 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3 pkgs yeast
1 cup water
4 eggs
1 cup shortening
*My Grandma’s notes to me “This recipe is in old or first Lester cook book from Polly’s Grandma Moser-we use 1 cup rye flour instead of all white flour-do as you wish. Old timers didn’t follow so close or used more what they had, so you can use different nuts or dried fruits-was all fruits and let stand in little liquids, water or fruit juice to soak (don’t cook fruit). I think you will get along fine if you want to try it or just half the amount the first time”
Cut up fruit and nuts. Let 3 pkgs yeast 1 tsp sugar in 1 cup warm water stand a few minutes. Put sugar and 2 cups liquid over the fruit in a large bowl. Add 3 cups flour and 3 tsp salt, 4 eggs and 1 cup melted shortening. Pour in yeast mixture. Stir in 9 more cups flour, dough will be sticky. Let rise for some time or few hours. (don’t knead down)
Use small pans or cans desired size grease well & fill little over ½ full. Bake ½ hour at 350 then 45 min at 325. Cover with foil after ½ hour to prevent burning. lay a sheet of aluminum foil across top. Let rise in pans short time before baking.

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #42
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

Default Apple Puff Pancake

Easy, light, delicious.

3 eggs
3/4 c flour
3/4 c milk
1/2 t salt
3 T butter
2 T sugar
1/4 t cinnamon
1 apple, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place skillet into oven to heat.
Beat eggs until frothy. Then beat in flour, milk and salt for 1 minute.
Remove skillet from oven. Add butter and swirl until butter melts and coats sides of pan.
Mix sugar and cinnamon, toss with apple slices, arrange slices in skillet
Pour batter over apples. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.

This is great in a cast iron skillet, if you have one. I like to serve it with maple syrup.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #43
Gabfest Goddess

This is a recipe that was shared last year but for those of you who haven't made it - it's the best!

Soda Cracker Candy - (English Toffee Crunchies)
3/4 (10 oz0 package saltine crackers - I used Club Crackers
1 C Butter
1 C Brown Sugar
1 - 12 oz bag of semi sweet choc. chips.
1-1/2 C chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds (I used pecans)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 10x15 inch cookie sheet with foil. I used heavy foil and didn't have to spray it.
Place crackers in a single layer over prepared sheet. Cover whole sheet - crackers touching.
In a 2 qt saucepan over low heat, combine butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Set timer for 3 or 4 minutes. Temp should reach 270 on candy thermometer. Pour over crackers and spread evenly with back of spoon.
Bake in a preheated oven for 5 minutes.
Take out of oven. Sprinkle chocolate chips over evenly - let set for a minute so they can melt. Spread evenly with the back of a spoon. It will spread nicely when they are melted. Sprinkle nuts over top and press into chocolate. Chill and then break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
musicbeeb likes this post.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #44
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Cranberry Salsa

Cranberry Salsa Dip with Cream Cheese

Yields: 1 1/2 cups
Prep time: 20 min

Ingredients:

1 (12-ounce bag) or 3 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup minced green onions
2 small (approximately 2 tablespoons) jalapeno chile peppers, cored, seeded and minced
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced
2 tablespoons finely-grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese
Cranberries and/or cilantro sprigs for garnish

Preparation:

Rinse, drain, and pick over cranberries, (discarding all that are soft or bruised). Place them in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped but not mushy.

Place crushed cranberries in a bowl; mix together with onions, jalapeno peppers, sugar, cilantro leaves, ginger, and lemon juice. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours so flavors develop (salsa will be too sharp and tart to begin with).

On a serving plate, place cream cheese; cover with the dip. Garnish, if desired, and served with crackers.

Makes 1 1/2 cups.

*I make this recipe but skip the ginger and use lime instead of lemon juice. I toss all the ingredients in the food processor together until everything is well mixed. It's very pretty and festive - vivid red with touches of green.

Creativity takes courage.
--Henri Matisse
Old 12-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #45
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Cream Cheese Mints

I just made these and they are BEYOND incredible. Also, SO easy and beautiful!!! Source: Kelley Highway: Homemade Cream Cheese Mints

1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon pure peppermint or mint extract
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
(Optional) Food coloring
(Optional) Rainbow-colored sugar crystals

Directions:

Line baking sheets with waxed paper. I use jelly roll-size pans.

In a mixing bowl, with an electric mixer beat together softened cream cheese and peppermint extract.

*Note: While creaming the cream cheese is the ideal time to add food coloring to dye the dough.

Add powdered sugar gradually and beat until smooth, kneading in the last of the powdered sugar with hands or a heavy spoon.

Lightly dust the wax paper-lined baking sheets with sifted powdered sugar.

Using a 1/2-teaspoon measuring spoon, form mixture into balls the size of a cherry.

NOTE: I DO NOT roll the mints in sugar crystals. Although that colorful sugar makes the mints sparkle, for our family, biting into the mint and having the crunch of the sugar crystals isundesirable. However, if you like that sugary crunch, at this point roll the dough ball in a bowl of granulated or sugar crystals.

Place two rows of dough balls 1/2-inch or so apart, then flatten with a pretty stamp or a fork, like I do. If you'll lay out a couple rows first, by the time you're ready to roll out the third row, the tops of the dough balls are dry enough to flatten easily without having to dip and re-dip the fork in powdered sugar.

Let the mints stand overnight. Every several hours, gently turn them over.

Note: For Easter, make these Friday morning of Easter weekend. Throughout the day both Friday and Saturday, gently turn them so all sides dry out well.

Place mints neatly in a lidded tin.

For the top layer, I laid another silver foil-paper doily atop the bottom layer of mints, and centered a stack of a four or five cupcake papers to keep the top layer of mints spaced neatly around it...

My 2014 Retreat
My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 10-06-2013 at 02:52 PM..
Old 12-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #46

Default Pasta with Arugula, Goat Cheese and Sun Dried Tomato Pesto

Don't let the long name fool you, it's really easy. And so freakishly delicious I've made it twice in two weeks. This comes from Cook's Illustrated Cookbook. That fat mother that came out last year.

1 c oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed, patted dry, and chopped coarse
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
6 T extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c walnuts, toasted
1 small garlic clove, minced
salt
1/8 t pepper
1 pound campanelle or farfalle (I actually used linguine)
10 cups baby arugula
3 oz goat cheese, crumble (3/4 cup)

1. Process tomatoes Parmesan, oil, walnuts, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper in food processor until smooth, about 1 minute, scraping down bowl as needed.
2. Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts of water to boil in a large pot. Add pasta and 1 Tablespoon of salt and cook, stirring often, until al dente. Reserver 3/4 cup cooking water, then drain pasta and return it to pot; immediately stir in arugula, 1 handful at a time, until wilted. Add pesto and 1/2 reserved cooking water to pasta and toss to combine. Add remaining cooking water as needed to adjust consistency. Serve immediately, passing goat cheese separately.

I stirred my goat cheese in and it melted into the sauce quite deliciously.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #47

I think I'll fire up the recipe box one day early with this AWESOME crockpot recipe. A favorite from the first time I made it!

Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
approx 3 1/2 lbs beef chuck roast
16-oz. beef broth (1 1/2 cans)
1 10.5-oz. can condensed French onion soup
6-oz red wine
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste (I salted the beef, but not the broth, and I found that you really need to salt both)

4-6 French rolls
sliced provolone cheese, optional
Trim excess fat off of beef roast and season meat all over with salt and pepper. (It needs a lot of salt)
Pour beef broth, condensed French onion soup, red wine and garlic powder into slow cooker and place beef roast into liquid.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Slow cookers have different time intervals that you can select, so work with your cooker. Depending on how the settings on your slow cooker work, the time will vary - I did 6 hours on low and two hours on hight. Since this is cooking in liquid, you don’t have to worry about the meat drying out in the same way you might if you were roasting the meat in the oven. Take beef out and rest it, covered with aluminum foil, for about 15 minutes. Slice beef and return to slow cooker on low or very low for 30 minutes.

Lightly toast the bread and evenly distribute cheese between rolls, if using. Divide beef onto rolls and spoon the beef juice* into ramekins or other small bowls and eat everything while it is hot. Serve each sandwich with its own dip.

My 2014 Retreat
Love Splitcoast?

stamp_momma likes this post.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #48
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry Lynn....this one sure isn't low cal, but is a comfort food from my childhood. One of my mom's aunts always brought these to family gatherings and though other people made them, they never tasted quite as good as Aunt Olga's. One day I was at her house as she made a batch. She shared her secret with me...instead of the normal corn syrup that the recipe called for, she used maple syrup. I also watched her load up her hands with butter as she pressed the sticky cereal mix down into a pan-she really packed them tight and pushed the butter in as she did so! YUMMMY!
Aunt Olga Bars
½ c white sugar, ½ c *maple syrup 3/4c creamy peanut butter 3-4c Rice Krispies 2/3c each chocolate and butterscotch chips.
Bring sugar and syrup to boil in med pan over med heat stirring constantly. Remove from heat & stir in PB until smooth. Pour over cereal; stir to coat well. Press into 9x13 pan that has been buttered (Use 11x7 for thicker bars). Sprinkle chips evenly over top and heat under broiler til able to spread.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #49
Forum Fanatic

Gail I think every family has their version of that recipe. My grandma used 3/4c. brown sugar, 3/4c. light Karo syrup, 3/4c. peanut butter and 6c. Rice Krispies. She never put the chips on top but I have had them that way.
mamaxsix likes this post.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #50

Here's one I'm making tonight - it's SO easy - I almost always have all the ingredients on hand, and it only takes 45 minutes!

Greek Yogurt Chicken

1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup Greek yogurt -plain
1 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Spread mixture over chicken breasts, bake at 375 degrees for 45 mins

My 2014 Retreat
Love Splitcoast?

Old 10-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #51
Stazon Splitcoast

I grew Arugula in my garden this year just for this salad which we discovered last summer. No mayo just olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and vinegar....double the recipe....trust me! Tastes great warm or left over the next day.
Potato Arugula Salad

Potato Arugula Salad
Submitted By: JDAVIS3662
Photo By: naples34102
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes

Ready In: 35 Minutes
Servings: 6
"A different and yummy potato salad; it uses no mayonnaise. This is a nice alternative to use arugula, rather than just adding it to a green salad."
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, cubed
3 tablespoons white vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 bunch arugula - rinsed, dried and torn

Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, and cool. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Meanwhile, mix vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Drizzle in olive oil, whisking until mixture thickens.
3. Toss potatoes with vinegar and oil mixture and arugula. Serve at room temperature.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2013 Allrecipes.com

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 10-06-2013 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: added to index
Old 10-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #52
Stazon Splitcoast

Acorn Squash and Sage Brown Butter Pasta from eating richly even when you're broke *with a few of my additions

Acorn Squash and Sage Brown Butter Spaghetti Recipe
Serves 2-4
Ingredients

2-4 servings of spaghetti noodles
3 TBS unsalted butter
8 large sage leaves, chopped
¼ cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ an acorn squash cooked, peeled and cubed (Toss in a bit of oil &
roast in the oven at 425 -cook til it is soft and starting to caramelize)
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
small sage leaves to garnish
*I add cream or half/half to make it more "saucy"
Instructions

Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Meanwhile melt the butter in a large skillet or a pot on medium heat and let it bubble and foam until golden brown. Turn heat down and add chopped sage and minced onion and garlic. Once onion has softened add the cubed acorn squash. *At this point I mix in both the Parmesan Cheese and some cream and stir around to make a thick sauce.

Stir well and cook until squash is heated through. When spaghetti is ready, drain it and toss with the brown butter and sage vegetables. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan and garnished with small sage leaves.

Approximate cost/serving: I grow my own sage which makes it practically free, and I get Parmesan in bulk at Sam’s and grate it right before serving. Squash is so cheap this time of year, so the whole recipe was about $2.30 to make. It served 4 with a side salad so just 58 cents a serving.

UnderstandBlue likes this post.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #53
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake (BEST EVER!)

Place in mixmaster or cuisinart 5 very ripe bananas to equal 2 cups.
Add one at a time:
1 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sour cream mixed with 2 tsp baking soda + 2 tsp baking powder (I use low-fat sour cream)
3 cups flour (I use ½ white, ½ whole wheat)

Topping: 1 bag chocolate chips + 1 tsp cinnamon + 1/3 cup of brown sugar.

Pour ½ of batter into greased rectangle pan or large springform pan.

Sprinkle with ½ of chocolate chip mixture.
Pour ½ of batter and top with the choc chip mixture.

350* -- 60 minutes Test with toothpick.

You can put this recipe into 2 loaf pans—just reduce the time.
Greywolf likes this post.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #54
Glitter Queen

APPLE PIE BREAKFAST BAKE
2 cans Pillsbury refrigerated crusty French loaf
1 cup butter, melted
1 can(21 oz) apple pie filling
1 can (14 oz) Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 tsp apple pie spice
1tsp vanilla
1 cup maple syrup, warmed

1. Heat oven to 350. Bake loaves as directed on can. Cool 20 minutes. Cut about
1 1/2 French loaves into 1/2 inch cubes to make 7 1/2 cups. Reserve remaining 1/2 loaf for another use. Increase oven temp to 375.
2. In 13x9(3 qt.) glass baking dish, evenly layer melted butter,apple pie filling,
and bread cubes.
3. In a medium bowl, stir sweetened condensed milk, apple pie spice and vanilla until well blended. Pour over bread, pushing bread down to absorb liquid.
4. Bake 25 to 35 min or until deep golden brown and bubbly. Cool 15 min. Serve warm with maple syrup. Yum!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #55
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Default Parmesan & Rosemary Focaccia

We're having this for our supper tonight along with some slow-cooked tomatoes with herbs and olive oil. I just picked a lot today to save them now the weather has turned cold.
It's also lovely with herby bean dishes .

Sorry I can't convert the grated parmesan into volume for you!

1/4 oz dried yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar or honey
1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
2 tablespoons good fruity olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped FRESH rosemary
2 1/2 cups strong white flour
4 ounces freshly grated Parmesan
1/2 teaspoon coarse or rock salt.

If you're using instant yeast follow the instructions. For regular dried yeast (or fresh if you can get it!) dissolve it in the warm water with the honey or sugar, and leave for ten minutes or so till it's active.

Put the yeast and water in a large bowl and add the salt, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the rosemary, half the Parmesan and about half the flour. Mix well and continue adding the rest of the flour till you get a soft dough. Knead with a mixer or by hand till smooth and elastic.
Put in a large oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise till doubled in volume.
Knock the dough down and place it on a large oiled baking sheet. With your hands, press out to form a large oval approx 16" x 12". Cover and leave to rise for half an hour or so in a warm place.
Brush gently with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining half of the Parmesan and some rock salt.
If you like, you can slash the surface or just dimple it a bit with your fingers.
Bake for about 35 minutes in a hot oven - Gas 6, 200C, 400F.
It should be golden brown on top and sound hollow when you tap the bottom.
Cool for just a few minutes before serving.

(This is from "From Anna's Kitchen" by Anna Thomas. I usually add the sprinkled Parmesan on top about halfway through the cooking time rather than at the start.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #56

Default Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup

I've gone mostly low carb and gluten free, I've had a hankering for broccoli soup and this looks like it just might fit the need!

Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup:
  • 2 T. butter
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 8oz. cream cheese (I use organic)
  • 1 cup heavy cream (not ultra-pasteurized!)
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 bunches of fresh broccoli, chopped
Heat broth and broccoli until broccoli is tender. Mix cream cheese, heavy cream, shredded cheese and butter in another pan and stir often. When broccoli is tender, put half in a blender and puree (this makes it a little thicker). When the other pan is melted, add to broth and broccoli. Garnish with cheese.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.

Love SU!? Join the Crew!
The CreativeCrew <The Gallery
CreativeCrew Play Along <The Challenges
Old 10-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #57
Kookie Creator

Scrumptious Beef

I got this recipe from a newspaper, but I changed it a little bit. if you bake it in the oven, it really is scrumptious!, in the crock pot just tastes like a regular beef and noodles, or beef and gravy over potatoes or rice. I think it is because of the evaporation of the liquid in the oven that gives it the good flavor.

2 lbs. stewing beef, make sure it is chunks of beef
8 oz. can of mushrooms, drained
3 cans swanson beef broth
1/2 to 1 onion diced
1 can cr. of celery soup
1 lg jar Heinz beef gravy

do not brown meat. just place everything in a large baking dish and bake at 300* for 5-6 hrs. I cook a lb of kluski noodles and mix with the beef after it is done in the oven. it is soooo good!! it is my grandsons favorite meal.
stamp_momma likes this post.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #58
Kookie Creator

White chocolate Berry Pie

from Taste of Home 2000, another favorite!

5 (1 oz) squares white baking chocolate, divided
3 oz cream cheese , when I make 2 pies, I just use 8 oz block of cream cheese for the 2 of them, rather than buying 2 3 oz blocks.
1/3 c powdered sugar
1 c whipping cream, whipped to stiff peaks
1 9" graham cracker crust
2 c sliced strawberries or fruit of your choice
2 Tlb milk
1 tsp orange peel

In microwave or double boiler, melt 4 squares of w choc with milk. cool to room temp. meanwhile beat cr cheese and sugar in mixing bowl till smooth. mix in white chocolate and orange peel. fold in whipped cream. spread in crust; top with strawberries. melt remaining square of chocolate and drizzle over strawberries. refrigerate at least 1 hr. store in frig. makes 8 servings. verrrry good!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #59

Default Last of the summer tomatoes pasta

Don't be fooled by the simple ingredients or lack of complexity. I made this for dinner tonight becuase it was what I had on hand and it was delicious. I did use fresh-made pasta (frozen from a previous farmer's market purchase) but did not have have a shallot so pretended in was not in the recipe. Source: Cooks Illustrated Cookbook.

1 shallot, sliced thin
1/4 c olive oil
2 lbs cherry tomatoes, halved
3 large garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 t sugar or to taste (honestly, home grown tomatoes need NO sugar)
Salt
1/4 t red pepper flakes
1/4 t pepper
1 pound penne (I used linguine, see above)
1/4 c coarsely chopped fresh basil
2 oz Parmesan, grated (1 cup)

1. Adjust oven rack to middle and preheat to 350. Toss shallot with 1 t oil in bowl. In separate bowl, gently toss tomatoes with remaining oil, garlic, veingar, sugar (if using), 1/2 t salt, pepper flakes and pepper. Spread tomatoe mixture in even layer on rimmed baking sheet, scatter shallot over tomatoes and roast until edges of shallot begin to brown and toamto skins are slightly shriveled, 35 - 40 minutes. Do not stir tomatoes while roasting. Cool for 5 - 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add pasta and 1 T salt and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 c cooking water then drain pasta and return it to pot. Using rubber spatula, scrape tomato mixture into pot on top of pasta. Add basil and toss to combine. Add reseverd cooking water as need to adjust consistency. Serve immediately, passing the parmesan.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #60
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Default Enchilada Casserole

olive oil
6 medium tortillas
2-3 pounds ground beef.
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups enchilada sauce ** recipe below, or can use canned**
1-2 cups sour cream
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Drizzle olive oil into bottom of 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Once warm, add a tortilla, one at a time, to the skillet. Cook until crisp on each side and place onto a kitchen pan lined with paper towels.
Add diced onions and garlic to skillet. Cook until just tender. Remove to a bowl and set aside. Add beef to skillet and cook until completely browned. Remove from heat and drain away any drippings. Add onions and garlic back to beef and stir to combine.
Spoon about ½ cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Spread enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of the casserole dish.
Place 3 tortillas on top of the enchilada sauce, overlapping them slightly at the edges to make all 3 tortillas fit lengthwise. Ladle on additional enchilada sauce, about ½ cup. Layer on beef, onion and garlic mixture, making sure to spread mixture evenly over tortillas and enchilada sauce.
Top with large dollops of sour cream and spread slightly. Sprinkle on a little of both cheeses.
Repeat layering with 3 more tortillas, enchilada sauce, beef mixture, sour cream, and end with cheeses.
Bake in oven until cheeses have melted, about 20 minutes.
Serve warm.

Notes
You may substitute any other meat or bean for ground beef in the recipe. Additionally, you may add beans, lettuce, or diced tomatoes to the recipe, if desired.
To freeze: Prepare recipe through baking, wrap tightly with aluminum foil and place into the freezer. To heat once frozen, simply remove from the freezer and place in the refrigerator overnight to thaw. Bake as instructed in the recipe; however, note that baking time may take a bit longer to make sure all ingredients are heated throughout.

**Enchilada Sauce Recipe:
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 cup chicken stock
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Instructions
Add vegetable oil and flour to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk together to combine. Whisk in remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust spices based on your preferences.
Pour remaining enchilada sauce into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to two weeks.

Recipe from addapinch.com

I Design for: Classy Cards 'n Such

Old 10-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #61
Stazon Splitcoast

Pumpkin Cheesecake Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Topping

Pumpkin Cheesecake Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Sauce

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 24 cupcakes

Ingredients

1 3/4 cup finely crushed graham crackers
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
6 Tbsp salted butter, melted
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
3 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened well
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 recipe homemade caramel sauce, recipe here
Coarse or flaked sea salt

See Kid-Friendly Halloween Desserts

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together crushed graham crackers with 2 Tbsp granulated sugar. Pour in melted butter and stir mixture until evenly coated. Divide graham cracker mixture among 24 paper lined muffin cups, adding about a heaping Tbsp to each. Firmly press mixture into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool while preparing filling.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger until no clumps of sugar remain. Add cream cheese to a large mixing bowl, then pour sugar mixture over cream cheese and using an electric hand mixer set on low speed, blend together until smooth, about 30 seconds. Mix in eggs one at a time. Blend in pumpkin and vanilla, then mix in heavy cream. Tap bowl forcefully against countertop to release some of the excess air bubbles, about 30 times. Divide mixture over graham cracker crust in muffin liners, adding about 1/4 cup to each cup and filling nearly full. Bake in preheated oven until nearly set (no longer very giggly), about 20 - 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack at room temperature, 30 minutes. Then transfer to refrigerator and chill 3 hours until set. Top with caramel sauce and a pinch of sea salt just before serving. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
Caramel Sauce
Caramel Sauce

Ingredients

1 1 /2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp water
6 Tbsp salted butter
3/4 cup heavy cream
Maldon or coarse sea salt, for sprinkling

Directions

Gather all of your ingredients and have them nearby ready to add to the mixture as needed. In a heavy-bottomed 3 quart saucepan, heat sugar and water over moderately high heat whisking constantly to dissolve sugar. Once mixture reaches a boil, stop whisking and allow mixture to boil until it reaches a dark amber color, carefully swirling pan occasionally. Once mixture reaches a dark amber color, immediately add butter and whisk until butter has melted then immediately remove from heat. Wait 3 seconds then carefully pour in cream and immediately whisk to combine (it will bubble vigorously). Whisk until mixture is smooth. Allow caramel to cool several minutes then pour into a glass jar to cool. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt after spooning caramel over cheesecakes.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #62
Splitcoast Team Member

Default Sausage with Kale Stew and Mashed Potatoes

I'm not sure about you, but I'm always desperate for good slow cooker recipes about this time of year. I found this one in this month's Real Simple magazine, and I'll be trying it soon.

1 pound sweet Italian sausage links - casing removed and cut into chunks
1 large onion
1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
2 T tomato paste
2 cloves of garlic chopped
kosher salt and black pepper
2 large Russet potatoes
1 bunch (about 7 cups) of chopped kale
1/2 cup milk
olive oil

Combine the sausage, tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, garlic, 1 cup of water and 3/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper in a 4-6 quart slow cooker. Nestle the peeled potatoes into the mixture and cover with the kale. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.

When potatoes are tender, remove from liquid and mash with the milk, 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper and a little bit of olive oil.

Ladle stew over mashed potatoes and drizzle with a bit of olive oil before serving.

I cannot wait to try this one!

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #63

Default Brown Sugar Cookies

Ingredients
  • 14 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
  • 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Allow to simmer until it starts to turn an amber color and smell nutty and fragrant. Remove from the heat to a separate bowl. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the browned butter and brown sugar until well-blended.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  5. Add the egg and egg yolk to the butter/sugar mixture one at a time, scraping down the sides after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
  6. Mix the flour mix into the cookie dough, stirring until just combined.
  7. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and brown sugar.
  8. Scoop the cookie dough into balls using a 1 1/2 tbsp cookie scoop (or just scoop it into rounded tbsps). Roll in the sugar mix and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cookie dough, leaving 2 inches between each dough ball on the baking sheet.
  9. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until starting to set around the edges. Allow to cool before serving.
Source: Joanne Eats Well With Others

Her source, which includes a brown sugar frosting, is here.

My 2014 Retreat
Love Splitcoast?

Old 10-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #64

Default Spaghetti Squash with Clam Sauce

I have had a spaghetti squash from my CSA taunting me for two weeks. I am down 10 pounds so did not want to make my stand-by which is laden with lots of fresh mozzarella.

Spaghetti Squash with Clam Sauce

1 medium spaghetti squash, 3 - 3.5 pounds
13 oz canned minced clams
1 T olive oil
1 lg onion, minced (1 cup)
2 t minced garlic
freshly ground pepper (DH believes in pepper so be generous)
1/2 t hot red pepper flakes
1/3 c minced fresh parsley
1 T lemon juice (*I used the juice of a whole, not so juicy, lemon. Maybe 2T)
1 T butter for reheating the squash (or margarine, I suppose but y'all know I believe in butter)
* I served mine with freshly grated parmesan

1. Set squash on a steamer rack in a large pot over a few inches of boiling water. Cover and steam 35 - 40 minutes or until the squash is tender when pressed or pierced with a fork. Set aside to cool. *Note, this was the first time I cooked a spaghetti squash this way and I was not impressed, next time I will cut it in half an microwave it as I usually do.

2. Drain the clams, and save the juice. Set the clams aside.

3. Heat the oil in a skillet, and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 - 5 minutes, or until soft. Season with pepper, add the wine, and cook over medium high heat to reduce the liquid by half.

4. Add the clam juice and red pepper flakes, and cook the mixture to reduce the liquid to about 1/3 c.

6. While sauce is cooking, split the spaghetti squash lengthwise, and scrape out and discard the seeds and dark orange pulp around them. With a fork, "comb" out the pale yellow flesh, working from the cut edges toward the center to produce long spaghetti-like strands. *This is fun!

5. Add the clams, parsley, lemon juice, and more pepper, if desired, to the sauce.

7. Reheat the squash in the microwave with 1 T water and 1 T butter, if necessary.

8. Serve with parmesan, freshly grated.

Credit: Jane Brody's Good Food Book

I have had this cookbook since college and LOVE it even though the "High-Carbohydrate" diet is not en-vogue. This recipe is not high carb or high fat and flat out yummy. Her recipes tend to be low protein, high in complex carbs and veggies but also low fat.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #65

Default White Bean Brushetta

Ingredients:

1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp rosemary, chopped
1 (15 oz) can cannelini beans
2 tbs flat leaf parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 baguette, sliced

Directions:

1: In small bowl, mix onion and lemon juice and let sit

2: In medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Grate garlic into pan, add rosemary and stir 1 min. Add beans and cook till warm (about 5 min). Add in parsley, salt and pepper.

3: To serve: Place 1 spoonful of bean mixture on bread slice and top with onions.

QFTD38 and proud fan club member

Join us for Christmas Card Challenge 2013and All Occasion Card Challenge 2013
Y'all are cordially invited to a teaparty with the Sisterhood of the Traveling Teaparty.
resident lurker at the You Can Do It challenge
Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #66

Default White Bean and garlic dip

Ingredients:

1/4 cup minced parsley
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 cup cooked white beans
3 tbs olive oil
2 tsp dried minced onion
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup finely diced red onion

Directions:

Place garlic, lemon juice, and beans in food processor and process until smooth. Add oil and process till mixed. Add seasonings, parsley, and onions and process till mixed. Chill and serve on pita chips.

Y'all are cordially invited to a teaparty with the Sisterhood of the Traveling Teaparty.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #67

Praise the Internet! I had some Mizuna greens from my CSA that needed to be used. This is what epicurious turned up. FYI, the sauce is a DEAD RINGER for the yummy sauce that you get with CostCo potsticker. I don't know about you but I always run out so am happy to have the recipe for the sauce alone. I think it would be great on stir fry, bok choy, cabbage or pot stickers since you already ate all the sauce like I did.

•1/4 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned)
•3 tablespoons soy sauce
•2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
•1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
•1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
•6 cups pea shoots or pea sprouts (3 oz)
•6 cups tatsoi (3 oz)
•6 cups mizuna (3 oz)

Combine sauce ingredient in a skillet until heated and sugar dissolves. Do not boil. Toss with greens and serve.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #68
Proud Fan Club Member

I thought I would add an easy quick recipe that I am always asked to bring and I dont mind because it is that easy~
Here ya go...
1-13 x 9 glass baking dish\
1-pkg of cream cheese
1- jar of any salsa drain in collander to get some of the liquid out
1-bag of taco cheese
Start by using a fork and mushing the cream cheese into the baking dish until the bottom is covered
Then add the drained salsa to cover all cream cheese
Then add the bag of taco cheese
Just before your company arrives pop in microwave for 5 minutes cover the top with paper towel so it doesnt make a mess in there.
Serve with taco chips and you are good to go...
Everyone loves this...
temporary design team for Bugaboo
Old 11-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #69

Default Enchilada Sauce

Inexplicably, enchilada sauce (at least here) is surprisingly expensive. I've been using this recipe for 5 years or so. Love it! I use Penzey's chili powder (I can't recommend the quality of their spices enough, Google them as they have an online store with free shipping after $30).

What she says about lumps is true. I usually make this with cornstarch instead of flour since I cannot make a lumpless flour gravy. It also makes it gluten-free.

Rockin Robin' Raving Enchilada Sauce

2 c chicken broth
t T Gebhardt Chili Powder (as I mentioned above, I use Penzey's)
1 t ground cumin
2 heaping tsp garlic powder
3/4 t salt
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1/3 t sugar (I am not making this up, who has a 1/3 t measure? I use a heaping 1/4)
5 T cold water
5 T white flour

- Mix everything but the last two ingredients in a sauce pan, whisk well. Heat to a low boil and cook 3 minutes. Whisk frequently to make spices dissolve. This is important for flavor and texture.
- While the sauce is on a slow simmer, put 5 T cold water in a bowl, whisk in flour, 1 T at a time. Whisk vigorously to avoid lumps. If you have lumps here, you will have lumps in your sauce.
- After 3 mins, turn sauce up to high. Very slowly, add flour mixture, whisking vigorously to avoid lumps. Continue to whisk 1 minute after all flour mixture is added, turning heat down to medium. Sauce should still be boiling.
- Done. If a skin forms, just peel it off before using the sauce. If it thickens too much, just add water or broth to get the desired consistency.

Tonight I made chicken enchiladas with some corn tortillas, the remains of a CostCo chicken, some pre-shredded cheese and some of those yummy super food greens CostCo is selling that are pretty much good in anything.
UnderstandBlue and Kathleen Curry like this post.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #70
Die Cut Diva

Yummy Granola but not so healthy....

1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 tbsp vanilla

3 cups oats
1 cup quinoa
1 cup rice crispies
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup white chocolate
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup skor bits
1/2 cup flax seed
2 cups broken peanuts or almonds
1 cup coconut

Melt butter and brown sugar together, bring to boil, add vanilla and continue to boil until sugar completely melts about five minutes. Continually stir or it will burn.

In a very large bowl mix all dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, mix well and spread in two large cookie sheets ensuring that the ingredients are pressed together.

Bake at 325 for 30 minutes.

YUM YUM YUM

Not the healthiest but wow did they get eaten fast in this house. I ended up with two large cookie sheets full.

Hope you enjoy.

Dea
Old 11-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #71

Default Apple Spice Bread Pudding with Warm Caramel Sauce

Just had to laugh at Gail in a previous post about cooking for large families..same here. My Grandma cooked for family of 10 and extra during cutting season. So this makes 2 - 9x13 pans full but can easily be halved or take half to someone else. (The peeps at work devour it) Ever the frugal woman, she saved all the ends of homemade bread that no one would eat in the freezer and when she had enough, they got dessert. (The caramel sauce is my addition, but plain whip cream is great too.) This was my Daddy's favorite dessert.

Ingredients:

Pudding:

16 cups cubed dry bread
12 eggs (I use 8 eggs and 1 carton egg beaters)
3 cups milk (I use 2%)
1 tbsp vanilla
2 cups brown sugar (I use 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp nutmeg
5-6 apples, grated (depends on how large)
2 cups raisins
___
Topping:

3 sticks cold butter, cut into pieces
3 cups flour (I use 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat)
1 1/2 cup oats
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup pecans
___
Drizzle:

1/3 can evaporated milk (may need more to thin for drizzle)
14 oz caramel
___

Directions:

Whisk all pudding ingredients except bread together until smooth. Add bread cubes and stir until all coated well. Let sit for 4 hours or overnight in refrigerator.

Stir apples and raisins into bread mixture. Pour into 2 greased pans.

Place all topping ingredients except nuts in bowl and cut with pastry blender until all is incorporated into crumbly streusel. Add nuts. Sprinkle over pudding. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45-50 min. Pudding is done when knife inserted in center comes out with only small amt liquid on it. It will finish absorbing fluid while cools.

Place caramel and evap. milk in microwave safe bowl and cook stirring every 1 minute until starting to melt. Remove from microwave and stir, caramel will continue to melt in hot milk and make a smooth sauce. Add more milk if needed to consistency you wish.

Dish up pudding and drizzle with caramel sauce.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #72

Default Roast Chicken with Lemons

I never roast chickens. This one was delicious. From The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan. Despite her verbosity, it's quite easy. It's ironic that for all her words, she doesn't give you an internal temperature to test for doneness. My Better Homes and Garden said 185 degrees in the thigh if that helps. My 6 pound chicken cooked perfectly in 1 hour and 25 minutes.

Roast Chicken with Lemon

3 - 4 pound chicken
Salt
Pepper, fresh ground
2 rather small lemons

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash thoroughly in cold water, both inside and out. Remove all the bits of fat hanging loose. Let the bird sit for about 10 minutes on a slightly tilted surface to let the water drain out of it. Pat it thoroughly dry all over with cloth or paper towels.
3. Sprinkle a generous amount of salt and black pepper on the chicken, rubbing it with your fingers over all its body and into its cavity.
4. Wash the lemons in cold water and dry them with a towel. Soften each lemon by placing in on a counter and rolling it back and forth as you put firm downward pressure on it with the palm of your hand. Puncture the lemons in at least 20 places each, using a study round toothpick, a trussing needle, a sharp-pointed fork, or similar implement.
5. Place both lemons in the bird's cavity. (Note: I missed the small lemon part so pay heed as this was hard with the lemons I chose randomly.) Close up the opening with toothpicks or a trussing needle and string. Close it well, but don't make an absolutely airtight job of it because the chicken may burst. Run kitchen string from one leg to the other, tying it at both knuckle ends. Leave the legs in their natural position without pulling them tight. If the skin is unbroken, the chicken will puff up as it cooks, and the string serves only to keep the thighs from spreading apart and splitting the skin.
6. Put the chicken in the roasting pan, breast facing down. Do not add cooking fat of any kids. This bird is self-basting, so you need not fear it will stick to the pan. Place in the upper third of a pre-heated oven. After 30 minutes, turn the chicken over to have the breast face up. When turning it, try not to puncture the skin. If kept intact, the chicken will swell like a balloon, which makes for an arresting presentation at the table later. Do not worry too much about it, however, because even if it fails to swell, the flavor will not be affected.
7. Cook for another 30 to 35 minutes, then turn the oven thermostat up to 400 degrees, and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Calculate between 20 and 25 minutes total cooking time for each pound. There is no need to turn the chicken again.
8. Whether your bird has puffed up or not, bring it to the table whole and leave the lemons inside until it is carved and opened. The juices that run out are perfectly delicious. Be sure to spoon them over the chicken slices. The lemons will have shriveled up, but they still contain some juice; do not squeeze them, they may squirt.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #73
Watercolor Wizard

Default WALDORF SALAD

This is a recipe that I've been using (with adaptations) since my early 20s (that's ..um 40 some years). So easy to make and not one of those things that everyone else brings to a pot luck. I brought it to the Thanksgiving dinner at the home of friends today and it was a hit.

Waldorf Salad

2 apples, peeled, cored, chopped.
1/2 to 1 cup of finely chopped/diced celery
1 cup of red or green grapes sliced or cut in half
1/2 cup of lightly toasted chopped walnuts. (Not really necessary to toast them, but it does get rid of more of the 'husks.')

1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use Hellman's Real, not lite, not salad dressing.)
2 to 3 Tablespoons of apple juice (Can substitute frozen concentrate or can substitute lemon juice, but I prefer the apple juice. I've even read recipes that use orange juice.)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 heaping Tablespoon white sugar
A few dashes of Nutmeg (less than 1/8 teaspoon) (Can substitute cinnamon or Allspice)

I mix the dressing first then put the apples in it as I'm chopping them so they don't turn brown. That way I don't have to put them in lemon water.

Mix it all together, chill, and serve. For a small gathering or "tea" you could serve on lettuce leaves. I've read recipes that add fresh baby spinach leaves to the salad.

Last edited by Greywolf; 11-28-2013 at 07:26 PM..