Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1641Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 03:28 AM   #161
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

Vicki, I'm glad to hear things are going well for you and your DH right now!!

Sue, I like those pins you got at JoAnn's!! I can't get the picture to enlarge so I can't tell - are they straight pins or like a safety pin?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
vdoyle8 likes this post.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #162
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Vicki, oh my, what a year! So good to see you! And SO glad to hear DH is recovering!
Gallery Blog
vdoyle8 likes this post.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #163
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapaholic007 View Post
As I browsed through the previous galleries, I discovered Squigglefly digital images and hopped on over there. They have a freebie page, to "try before you buy." A few of the free images are support ribbons and related. Didn't want anyone to miss out!
Squigglefly.com Digital Stamps - Digital Stamp Downloads for Stamping, Scrapbooking, and More!
Thank you for this link, it will help in having a few images to use for challenges.

{Faye}

Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it is the little voice at the end of that day that says, I will try again tomorrow.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #164
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffivort View Post
Hope this is ok to post here but A Day For Daisies have a freebie digi image just perfect for the HYCCT challenges : Ribbon Trees For a Cause Freebie Bundle Ribbon Trees for a Cause Freebie Bundle With Purchase [] - - It's Free! : A Day For Daisies, Custom Artwork - ADayForDaisies.com

Hugs, Vannessa
Thank you for this link.

{Faye}

Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it is the little voice at the end of that day that says, I will try again tomorrow.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #165
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

I think I should be reading backwards...sorry about that post...

{Faye}

Old 09-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #166
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post
thought of another to-do... for the list.

pick up a flat rate priority mail box ( a big one ) if you are going to wait till you are all done to mail everything in one batch for a place to corral the finished pieces inside of also. ( It will make you feel so good to watch your own progress through the month as it fills up ) if you pick it up early you can decorate the box a little before the challenges start.

( I have a pink sharpie marker lol I don't wall paper the box but, I do write in PINK on it)
Do you have to mail in a box or do you do that because you think they ship better?

I'm thinking a $5.95 padded flat-rate envelope that is taped to the size of the cards...will that not work?

{Faye}

Old 09-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #167
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslaird View Post
Y'all. October is my favorite month in the year so I am beyond thrilled, but at the same time, WHERE DID SEPTEMBER GO??????????

October 1 is my birthday. Isn't nice of SCS to throw me a party like this?
October 10 is my birthday.
Let's celebrate!!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #168
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetJ View Post
Vicki, I'm glad to hear things are going well for you and your DH right now!!

Sue, I like those pins you got at JoAnn's!! I can't get the picture to enlarge so I can't tell - are they straight pins or like a safety pin?
They're straight pins. I tried to get a link to the Joann's website (you can get them there as well as in the store), but it said "image coming soon", so you couldn't see what they looked like. I pulled this pic off of Yahoo Images...

I'm blogging again...
Old 09-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #169
Proud Fan Club Member

I ordered some clear envelopes from Amber this morning, just to be sure I have enough. Found a pack of assorted pink cardstock I'd forgotten about, too! Just FYI, I'm six kinds of proud of myself for doing things this year that are "firsts" for me: participating in chat threads for DTGD instead of being a silent participant, joining this challenge and the chat thread, and going to the CNY Fall get-together in East Syracuse in November. I tend to be a solitary crafter and sort of keep to myself, so it's good for me to be more "sociable" and all - moves me out of my comfort zone and expands my circle and all of that... Thanks to all of you friendly folk who make it so much less intimidating!

I'm blogging again...
Old 09-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #170
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoyle8 View Post
Not my favorite color either --- but I'm happy to use it in October.

Hi everyone --I've been away from SCS for most of the past year. It's been a challenging year for us. My DH was diagnosed with cancer and had a whooper of a surgery. He's recovering nicely, Thank God. Both kids are out of the house -- one moved to California and one went to college... so it's been a year of changes for us. I'm happy to see HYCCT as a constant and am looking forward to playing along as much as I can.
Good to see that you survived the challenges Vicki, and that your hub is doing well. I was away for about 4 months also - nothing major, but a little bit of too overwhelmed with life's challenges, including having 4 doctors now instead of just two. And most them want to see me 2-4 times a year. I'm too healthy to be spending that much time at doctors' offices!

I'm looking forward to HYCCT too, but just learned that I'm going to have to work Oct. 1st, so will get a late start. Fooey!
vdoyle8 likes this post.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #171
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramomma View Post
Do you have to mail in a box or do you do that because you think they ship better?

I'm thinking a $5.95 padded flat-rate envelope that is taped to the size of the cards...will that not work?
I think the cards fit better in a box, but more importantly, they won't get bent as they might in an envelope. I send mine all at once, at the end of the month, so that is quite a few cards. An envelope might be okay if you send several times during the month as long as you make sure the package won't bend. Remember, that you will have a card & envelope in a bag for each one.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #172
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoyle8 View Post

Hi everyone --I've been away from SCS for most of the past year. It's been a challenging year for us. My DH was diagnosed with cancer and had a whooper of a surgery. He's recovering nicely, Thank God. Both kids are out of the house -- one moved to California and one went to college... so it's been a year of changes for us. I'm happy to see HYCCT as a constant and am looking forward to playing along as much as I can.
Glad you're back. That sounds like it was quite a lot to handle in a short time frame. Hope you'll get lots of time to play along and chat too!

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
vdoyle8 likes this post.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #173
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

I sent mine in envelopes last year. All told, I probably spent more on postage than if I'd used a box, and it's a challenge for me to get to the post office that many times (4 large padded envelopes). This year, I'm going with the large box.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #174
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:

well, I guess it depends on your card making style mostly...
I had mailed some 3-D and boxed cards ( they were that lumpy too lumpy for an envelope needed clear boxes) so, I also sent in around 40 cards last Nov 1st I think so it filled that box )

I think if you mailed at the end of the week every week you could get by with padded envelopes if the cards were on the fairly flat side??

2014 100 by 100 {226}
Old 09-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #175
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess I'd better get me some clear envies! I'm excited for the challenges. I need a major distraction and some consistent, persistent time in the studio. My mojo needs a welcome home PAR-tay!
Bunnynest
Art Journaling Gesso Dragon
gregzgurl and Ksnurse like this post.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #176
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post
I ordered some clear envelopes from Amber this morning, just to be sure I have enough. Found a pack of assorted pink cardstock I'd forgotten about, too! Just FYI, I'm six kinds of proud of myself for doing things this year that are "firsts" for me: participating in chat threads for DTGD instead of being a silent participant, joining this challenge and the chat thread, and going to the CNY Fall get-together in East Syracuse in November. I tend to be a solitary crafter and sort of keep to myself, so it's good for me to be more "sociable" and all - moves me out of my comfort zone and expands my circle and all of that... Thanks to all of you friendly folk who make it so much less intimidating!

you are gonna be so amazed... and maybe know us better than you wanted to by Thanksgiving ... because, this is the most amazing part... the chatter does not stop on Halloween...
after all the challenges load, then a new chatter thread opens up for gifts. there are the sponsor give aways...
and such. and I think we kept chatting in that thread till what? after the new year I think. it was fun. and it was fun to see what people did with their gifts they received too.

I used one of mine just the other day on a challenge sample. so, it says that in its write up.

2014 100 by 100 {226}
vdoyle8 and KelliJo like this post.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #177
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Oooh I have some of those pins, Janice gifted me with a few last year. ( gotta add that to the scavenger hunt)

2014 100 by 100 {226}
Old 09-28-2013, 04:15 AM   #178
Glitter Guru

Those pins are so neat Sue, going to make a trip to Joann's soon!

Stacy, I love how you package your cards in clear boxes, I was the lucky recipient of one and it looks so classy and fancy! I've done it a few times since receiving your's and it makes a nice presentation!

Vicki, glad your DH is recovering.

I'm off to the scrapbook expo today. Hoping to find some fun stuff (not that I really need anything, but...)!

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
vdoyle8 and JBgreendawn like this post.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:23 AM   #179
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Quote:

I normally use a box because I've sent them in one go to be more efficient with international postage. But one year I forgot to include some, and just sent them in a padded envelope. I think that works fine too. I can't find it, but I'm sure Lydia shared a photo from MD Anderson showing the incoming HYCCT mail one day and it was all sizes and shapes of packing.
If I do find the photo I'll come back and link it! Problem is I can't even remember if it was last year or the year before, let alone which thread it might be in ,
Old 09-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #180
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
October 10 is my birthday.
Let's celebrate!!
I think that is Mollymoo951's also...

{Faye}

Old 09-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #181
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.
Send a message via AIM to mollymoo951

Quote:
I think that is Mollymoo951's also...
Yup...sure is!

Let's party!

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.
JanetJ likes this post.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #182
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post
Obviously by my number of posts I haven't been silent...but...I found a group long, long ago where I chatted and I never left that area until they brought us to the main pages...

This was the first year I have been a Fan Club Member so had never participated in DTGD...and this is the first year I will participate in HYCCT...I did go to a StampExpo but went alone...

I'm a silent stamper unless you consider the internet as one being stamping table...

I've enjoyed all those that have helped me learn as I've stamped the last 2 years...

{Faye}

gregzgurl, JBgreendawn and KelliJo like this post.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #183
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
well, I guess it depends on your card making style mostly...
I had mailed some 3-D and boxed cards ( they were that lumpy too lumpy for an envelope needed clear boxes) so, I also sent in around 40 cards last Nov 1st I think so it filled that box )

I think if you mailed at the end of the week every week you could get by with padded envelopes if the cards were on the fairly flat side??
When you make cards that are so detailed and they will require extra postage for the sender to in the end send the card do you put a note on the envelope that states it needs additional postage?

I figured I would need to not use rhinestones or bows, just flat ribbon or flat bling so that the cards wouldn't require extra postage...but maybe I won't have to stifle myself!

What I currently do when I send a card that has a bump in it is I add a piece of dry embossed cardstock over the card front so that it goes through the PO machine smoothly and I have never gotten one back for additional postage...If I know it is going to need additional postage then I mail it in a clear envelope so that all the hands that touch it can look at it since I'm paying an extra 20 cents any way for the lump!

{Faye}

Old 09-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #184
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
after all the challenges load, then a new chatter thread opens up for gifts. there are the sponsor give aways...
and such. and I think we kept chatting in that thread till what? after the new year I think. it was fun. and it was fun to see what people did with their gifts they received too.

I used one of mine just the other day on a challenge sample. so, it says that in its write up.
I haven't inked the stamps I won from DTGD yet (don't ask...it's been CRAZY) but I plan to use them for challenges for HYCCT and enjoy myself!

{Faye}

Old 09-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #185
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
I normally use a box because I've sent them in one go to be more efficient with international postage. But one year I forgot to include some, and just sent them in a padded envelope. I think that works fine too. I can't find it, but I'm sure Lydia shared a photo from MD Anderson showing the incoming HYCCT mail one day and it was all sizes and shapes of packing.
If I do find the photo I'll come back and link it! Problem is I can't even remember if it was last year or the year before, let alone which thread it might be in ,
That would be a fun picture to see...and I would think it is expensive to mail internationally...

I have started to give cards to the "Infusion Bay" at the little local hospital near where I live but it doesn't seem that the staff "gets it" that they are FREE for the patients...the auxiliary ladies are used to selling such items in the gift shop...that isn't my intention...

{Faye}

Old 09-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #186
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymoo951 View Post
Yup...sure is!

Let's party!

Via the internet it's usually a fun day!

{Faye}

JanetJ likes this post.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #187
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

My thought was if the family and caregivers can use them also then its possible a lot of these cards are not mailed and they are shared among these people. ( so hand delivered)
so, glitter sequins lumps bumps flowers you name it, its fair game. its not like sending them to active duty deployed troops.
so, to me that meant you could make all the things you wished you could send to the troops.

but, to answer the question no i do not include notes stating that lumpy cards or square cards or lumpy&square cards will require extra postage. ( I very rarely make A-2 cards and most my Christmas cards cost me about $2.00 per card to mail so, I take that as the norm and make what I want anyways. )

2014 100 by 100 {226}
Old 09-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #188
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
When you make cards that are so detailed and they will require extra postage for the sender to in the end send the card do you put a note on the envelope that states it needs additional postage?

I figured I would need to not use rhinestones or bows, just flat ribbon or flat bling so that the cards wouldn't require extra postage...but maybe I won't have to stifle myself!
I could have totally misinterpreted this - but since the cards are given out/available for picking from baskets in the hospital I've always reckoned that a lot of them are just going to be given to the recipients and not mailed, so I've never worried about bulk. Not that many of my cards tend towards that anyway .
Old 09-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #189
SCS Gallery Moderator

LOL, Stacy said the same thing much faster than I did .
Our postal service is more generous in what counts as regular postage - and square doesn't matter either which is great as I make a lot of square cards.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #190
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
My thought was if the family and caregivers can use them also then its possible a lot of these cards are not mailed and they are shared among these people. ( so hand delivered)
so, glitter sequins lumps bumps flowers you name it, its fair game. its not like sending them to active duty deployed troops.
so, to me that meant you could make all the things you wished you could send to the troops.

but, to answer the question no i do not include notes stating that lumpy cards or square cards or lumpy&square cards will require extra postage. ( I very rarely make A-2 cards and most my Christmas cards cost me about $2.00 per card to mail so, I take that as the norm and make what I want anyways. )
I think I better go drool over your gallery...I can't imagine mailing a $2 card...and I'd probably put it in a picture frame if I ever received one! Wow...

With this information then I won't stifle myself unless I'm keeping it for in my box for personal use...Thanks...

{Faye}

Old 09-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #191
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:

With this information then I won't stifle myself unless I'm keeping it for in my box for personal use...Thanks...
The whole aim of HYCCT is to get all the cards sent in to MD Anderson , (Last year there were a couple of other international options, too!) since it's really a card drive.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #192

Quote:
Is it this one? http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...ke-groomer.jpg
Gallery Blog
Old 09-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #193
SCS Gallery Moderator

That's the one, Paula!
Well done you, I spent about ten minutes looking before I decided I should be doing other things, LOL.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #194

Quote:
That's the one, Paula!
Well done you, I spent about ten minutes looking before I decided I should be doing other things, LOL.
I checked the paperclip on last year's chat thread, but if I hadn't found it I promised myself I wouldn't spend the morning looking!
Gallery Blog
Old 09-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #195
SCS Gallery Moderator

Paperclip - smart thinking! I tried various searches - and looking for Lydia's posts. No wonder I gave up after ten minutes.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #196
Stazon Splitcoast

I was sure I'd saved a picture of the cards all spread out on a table, but I can't find it either. Too busy to search now, but maybe I'll try again later. I'm sure Lydia has one somewhere because she's the one that posted it originally.

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #197
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymoo951 View Post
Yup...sure is!

Let's party!
Hmm.. what shall our party be like?!
Better be calm enough - I have to work with Elementary students on the 11th & 14th.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #198

Quote:
Hmm.. what shall our party be like?!
Better be calm enough - I have to work with Elementary students on the 11th & 14th.
Mine will involve a venti salted caramel mocha, pumpkin Danish, and probably the Mumford and sons pandora channel. or Willie Nelson singing standards. and you girls!
Gallery Blog
tessaduck likes this post.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #199
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks for the pictures...and the time invested...

Now I'm confused again! Do we send the cards we make to someone that packages them to send to TX or are those packages one person's cards?

UHM...I just can't fathom sending that many cards...

BUT...I'm game...going to play...and participate as I can...and enjoy the journey!

{Faye}

Old 09-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #200
SCS Gallery Moderator

I think that's the mailroom in MD Anderson, so that trolley contains various packages of cards from multiple SCS-ers .
On our side, we package each card with a regular envelope inside a clear cello bag or similar (to protect them), and then send them off to MD Anderson either all in one go, or each week, or whatever works for us.
It will be clearly detailed in each challenge post, too - so don't worry. It's hard to go wrong.
And you'll definitely enjoy the month. I know there are some fun challenges lined up .
scrapaholic007 likes this post.