Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1641Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #121
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

I just got back from some "fun" shopping!

I went to Michael's - saw quite a few things on sale that could be used on cards. a
All of the Reccollections craft "bling" is 50% off; brads are 50% off. Plus I used a 40% coupon to get some ATG adhesive. I also got sheets of 100 pop dots that were $1 a sheet.

Then I went to A.C. Moore - they had large sheets of bling 3 for $5 and some Baker's Twine on sale. I had a $10 coupon to use, so I only paid a little over $2.

Fun day!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
mamaxsix, superjen, Greywolf and 1 others like this post.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #122
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Gail....so hard to find time for yourself when you have kiddos and are in a service profession...I'm so glad you find a little time here and there to not only share your talent with us but to refresh your soul...that's what being creative does...it refreshes us and stretches us and gives us a better sense of self...You cannot pour blessings out fully to others on a daily basis unless you occasionally refill the pitcher....I'm hoping for you to find a good balance of "me" time in your days.

QFTD38 and proud fan club member

Join us for Christmas Card Challenge 2013and All Occasion Card Challenge 2013
Y'all are cordially invited to a teaparty with the Sisterhood of the Traveling Teaparty.
resident lurker at the You Can Do It challenge
tishahendricks, mrslaird and mamaxsix like this post.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #123
Rubber Obsessor

This is a good time to buy bling if you need it. Michaels has their Recollection Stickers and Embellishments 50% off this week. Also their Value Pack paper is 4 for $10 and their Celebrate It 360 (yellow) label ribbon is 50%. Two more things - paint 3 for $1 amd spool o'ribbon 3 for $1.

Janet
Old 09-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #124
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksnurse View Post
Gail....so hard to find time for yourself when you have kiddos and are in a service profession...I'm so glad you find a little time here and there to not only share your talent with us but to refresh your soul...that's what being creative does...it refreshes us and stretches us and gives us a better sense of self...You cannot pour blessings out fully to others on a daily basis unless you occasionally refill the pitcher....I'm hoping for you to find a good balance of "me" time in your days.
Thanks Sheri
If it had been just the cardmaking itself, I think it wouldn't have been such an issue. I think it is more the computer time which adds up quite a bit between posting, commenting, and writing blog posts. I also have been on one design team here and had applied but didn't get chosen for a company team. The prompt for our "discussion" was a talk I was having with my kids about pinterest and developing my blog in order to have more of a chance of making a design team. His question to me was about where I was finding my identity and how much was going to be enough. Fair questions, but really hard ones and not ones that I'd never asked myself. TBH there have been times when I realized I was more concerned about getting favorited than I was about the art itself. So, a wake up call was in order, it just didn't feel so good!
I'm trying to be more careful about combining challenges rather than trying to meet them all and will hold off on any further ventures into design teams for the present. I'm trying to get back to where it is the card making and the artistic outlet rather than the attention that is the source of my satisfaction.
Thanks for the encouragement ladies!

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
patiak likes this post.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #125
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

I have been having blog problems - can't post on the blog - so I post in my SCS Gallery. That doesn't take me very long to do that! I had to learn how to do things quickly & not be as "fancy" as some people are.
I do much volunteer work (Special Olympics Medical Advisor for our entire Area), some paid work (substitute school nurse), and am on call 24 hrs. a day / 7 days a week with Emergency Communications as I'm a Ham Radio Operator who has a RN license. I know what Gail is talking about when she mentions how little time she has.

(((BIG HUGS))) to Gail!!!
mamaxsix and Greywolf like this post.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #126
SCS Gallery Moderator
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Hugs to you, Gail! I'd like to say more, but I'm too tired tonight to frame it coherently.
mamaxsix likes this post.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #127
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
Thanks Sheri
If it had been just the cardmaking itself, I think it wouldn't have been such an issue. I think it is more the computer time which adds up quite a bit between posting, commenting, and writing blog posts. I also have been on one design team here and had applied but didn't get chosen for a company team. The prompt for our "discussion" was a talk I was having with my kids about pinterest and developing my blog in order to have more of a chance of making a design team. His question to me was about where I was finding my identity and how much was going to be enough. Fair questions, but really hard ones and not ones that I'd never asked myself. TBH there have been times when I realized I was more concerned about getting favorited than I was about the art itself. So, a wake up call was in order, it just didn't feel so good!
I'm trying to be more careful about combining challenges rather than trying to meet them all and will hold off on any further ventures into design teams for the present. I'm trying to get back to where it is the card making and the artistic outlet rather than the attention that is the source of my satisfaction.
Hugs to you Gail - been there and know exactly the balance you are talking about. It's a hard one.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 09-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #128
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetJ View Post
OK - question for those who have done this before.
How many cards do you cut / get ready for this challenge? I've gotten some CS, have DP & things to put on cards, but how many cards do you cut/fold & get ready before this starts??
Zero for me also. It's only one challenge a day so I don't feel a whole lot of pressure to make big preparations. I do stock up on pink cardstock though.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #129
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessaduck View Post
and small crochet hooks help thread ribbon/twine through buttons and punched holes.
I use a dental floss threader for that job.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #130
Proud Fan Club Member

i just tapped into here for this year, it looks fun. I posted the blinkie on my blog.

my SCS gallery
As long as you are capable of anger there are lessons to be learned
Old 09-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #131
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetJ View Post
This will be the first year I've tried to do this event!!

Here is a website that has free digital stamps daily - written & drawn. Hope this helps:

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!...type=2&theater
this link takes me to a weather channel???

my SCS gallery
Old 09-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #132
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nillysilly_ol'bear View Post
will the list be coming out fairly soon?
since I'm still going through my own cancer battle, hubby does most of my shopping for me, other than what I try to get online. I hope to have enough time to pick up what extra things I might need.

but then again, I ALWAYS have plenty of pink goodies on hand! tee hee! I've been stocking up little bits by little bits for this.

hope everyone is having a great weekend!
hugs to you, hope everything is going well.

my SCS gallery
Old 09-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #133
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Clean space is important for sure & I'm far from it in my space currently. Combining with regular challenges helps me sometimes so I check in on those everyday & keep a notebook handy to track the challenges & my ideas for each. I also went throuh my "rejects" pile to refresh my mind on what was there waiting to find a home & organized them a bit. I got my clear envies & packaging boxes ready as well as a few mailing labels.
My mom's breast cancer battle continues with it now in her spine so the motivation is strong & the opportunity to give back much appreciated.
Hugs and prayers for you and your family. So sorry to hear this.

my SCS gallery
Old 09-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #134
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Janeen. As I participated last year, mom was dealing with failed reconstructive surgery including infection and increased lymphedema. When all that settled down I was sure she was through the worst of it, but after Christmas she was still having pain and Xrays showed a bone fracture then scans confirmed that it was cancer in her spine. It just plain stinks. She didn't have much down time between the first stuff and the metastases but went right back into radiation then chemo. Last month the main drug she was taking to prevent the growth and spread of the metastases had to be stopped. She is feeling tremendously better off the drug so that has been a plus, but we're kind of just waiting for the next bad news. In the meantime she is enjoying having her appetite and energy levels back and is spending time with her water aerobics friends, ladies from church and even got to take an Alaskan cruise with my dad to celebrate their 54th anniversary. Her faith remains strong and her courage and strength amaze me. She has always been a great role model for me and will be my main motivation for participating in HYCCT this year. I also have a friend from our church who is in her 40s with two kids one in high school the other in middle school who is about to have surgery for a second bout with breast cancer. They say it is a different cancer than what affected her the first time and they're hopeful that surgery will be all she needs.
Such an awful disease.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #135
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Thanks Janeen. As I participated last year, mom was dealing with failed reconstructive surgery including infection and increased lymphedema. When all that settled down I was sure she was through the worst of it, but after Christmas she was still having pain and Xrays showed a bone fracture then scans confirmed that it was cancer in her spine. It just plain stinks. She didn't have much down time between the first stuff and the metastases but went right back into radiation then chemo. Last month the main drug she was taking to prevent the growth and spread of the metastases had to be stopped. She is feeling tremendously better off the drug so that has been a plus, but we're kind of just waiting for the next bad news. In the meantime she is enjoying having her appetite and energy levels back and is spending time with her water aerobics friends, ladies from church and even got to take an Alaskan cruise with my dad to celebrate their 54th anniversary. Her faith remains strong and her courage and strength amaze me. She has always been a great role model for me and will be my main motivation for participating in HYCCT this year. I also have a friend from our church who is in her 40s with two kids one in high school the other in middle school who is about to have surgery for a second bout with breast cancer. They say it is a different cancer than what affected her the first time and they're hopeful that surgery will be all she needs.
Such an awful disease.
Thank you for sharing. So thankful to hear she is able to enjoy life. It stinks to feel under the weather for so long so glad for her for the break and maybe all those good endorphins will overwhelm those bad cancer cells.

my SCS gallery
Old 09-21-2013, 04:40 AM   #136
Splitcoast Gallery moderator
Proud Fan Club Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

Quote:
Thanks ladies! I did take some time to stamp today and it felt pretty good. My DH was right in what he was saying to me, unfortunately he said it in a pretty harsh way. We've talked through it all and we're all good, but it has been hard to face the need to step back a bit and put more energy in other places. I guess selfishly I keep waiting for it to be "my turn". I still have three more homeschool students to go who are 6th, 8th and 11th grad this year and they really do need to be my main focus.
Ministry is just plain hard some days and now that we're in it full time, I appreciate all the people who served us along the way. I know I surely didn't take enough time to pray for and encourage them as much as I should have. If people knew how hard a toll it takes on their pastors and families I think they'd be a bit more supportive.
I will find a way to make HYCCT work as my motivation is pretty strong with my mom now with metastasized breast cancer and a member of our church recently diagnosed with her second bout of breast cancer!
I think its pretty impressive that you homeschool, are in the service profession and find any time for a hobby! Sounds like superwoman to me! But I agree, you need to keep scrapping fun and relaxing. Don't let it become a job or you will be looking to add something else to your plate to relax and enjoy.
mamaxsix and janeenk like this post.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #137
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslaird View Post
Zero here, too. I do try to gather any card size cuts that I happen to have in my craft room already, do the same thing with die cuts, and prestamped images, but I don't cut or stamp anything for this. I kind of use these big events as stash busters! Other than that, I just try to find my table and the floor around my table and clear the area around my cutting tools. Are you getting the idea that I'm a messy crafter? Double whatever you're picturing.
I'm also a zero, I have tried in the past to second guess and colour images or cut card stock but end up never using it. Last year I went out and bought pink embelishments ribbon etc and hardly did a pink card.

I find it easyer to go with the flow and do what ever the challenge brings to mind rather than try and fit the challenge into supplies I have collected. I think you end up with more creative scope doing it that way.

My aim this year is to do more, which wont be hard, I think I only did six last year.

Cheers

Marg down under

My Gallery - My Blog
To practice any art no matter how well or badly is to let the soul soar!
mrslaird, mollymoo951 and patiak like this post.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #138
Stazon Splitcoast

I found a pad of 12x12 pink dp at Michael's in their $5 sale pads and also picked up embellishments at the 50% off price to stock up on pearls, bling and some brads. My 11yo DD found some fun things in the $1 bin that were marked down to .50 so we had some fun together. Her remark, "I see why you like to come here" was priceless!

JanetJ, Ksnurse and jeenny2010 like this post.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #139
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeenk View Post
this link takes me to a weather channel???
Here is the CORRECT site:

http://www.dianesdaydreamdesigns.com/hope-endures-awareness-sets.html

I don't know how you got the Weather Channel. I checked the post I did & found this site on the post. Oh Well!!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #140
Glitter Guru

Just catching up on the chatter here. Getting excited to start!

Gail, your mom sounds like a real inspiration. So glad she is feeling pretty good and enjoyed a cruise, too. It has been a rough year for her.

I don't prep much myself. Like Stacy said, I like to match my card bases to the card, so I can't do them ahead. I do need to pick up some pop dots, but that is about all I'll do. I might try to straighten up my room (but that's a maybe, lol).

Some good deals at Michaels, hoping to stop there later in the week.

Hope everyone is having a great week.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #141
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

Kathleen, check where your Michael's that you shop at has $1 items. That's where I found sheets of pop dots (100 per sheet) for $1 a sheet.
Kathleen Curry likes this post.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #142
Stazon Splitcoast

I found several chipboard books for .75 mixed in there too

Old 09-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #143
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

They had some good sales last week - hope they have good ones this week!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #144
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I used my hemostats yesterday to open a drawer when I went to open it and pulled the handle off-the screw was sticking out and I was able to grab it with the hemostats and use them as the drawer pull!
It has been a rough couple of weeks for me. DH had a talk with me about the amount of time I was spending stamping and on the computer and it kind of sucked the joy out of it all for me for a bit here. Then this week we've had difficult stuff to deal with related to his job as pastor. I haven't stamped at all this week. I need to at least go down and clear off the desk a bit but my heart just isn't into it right at the moment. Just havin' a weepy kind of day I guess.
Don't let it get you down, Gail. I pray things settle down and even out so you can get your mojo back. (Is is okay for a pastor's wife to have mojo? LOL!)

{{{ HUGS }}}
Old 09-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #145
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Thanks Sheri
It is often difficult when we are directed by others to take a good look at ourselves and our motives. Remember too that the HYCCT cards are a ministry too as the cancer patients and families who receive them will be so blessed by your time, effort and creativity.

Sorry that I'm replying to your posts a few days late. I've had a couple of busy weeks with more than the usual number of doctor visits (all is well) and church activities. Just taking time to catch up today. I've had to cut back on the amount of posting and commenting that I do also. I hope I'll have time to do at least a little commenting during October.
UnderstandBlue, KelliJo and mamaxsix like this post.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #146
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margscardcrazy View Post
I'm also a zero, I have tried in the past to second guess and colour images or cut card stock but end up never using it. Last year I went out and bought pink embellishments ribbon etc and hardly did a pink card.

I find it easier to go with the flow and do what ever the challenge brings to mind rather than try and fit the challenge into supplies I have collected. I think you end up with more creative scope doing it that way.
Second guessing hasn't worked well for me in the past either. Going with the flow sounds good...
JanetJ, KelliJo and mamaxsix like this post.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #147
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

Only one more week, wonder where September went!
Kathleen Curry and mamaxsix like this post.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #148
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

Margscardcrazy and tessaduck like this post.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #149
Stazon Splitcoast

Not too much longer to wait!!!!

tessaduck likes this post.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #150
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Heart

FOUR DAYS and a WAKE UP until

PINKTOBER!!!!!
JanetJ, mrslaird, mamaxsix and 2 others like this post.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #151
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

YIKES!! I didn't realize only 4 days until this started!!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #152
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Y'all. October is my favorite month in the year so I am beyond thrilled, but at the same time, WHERE DID SEPTEMBER GO??????????

October 1 is my birthday. Isn't nice of SCS to throw me a party like this?
Gallery Blog
JanetJ, JBgreendawn, mamaxsix and 3 others like this post.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #153
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

It's scary how fast it has gone!!!

Ill give you a hint for my challenge.

It was really a challenge for me, because it's something I never, never do on my cards.

Tee hee....

*poof*

My 2014 Convention
Retreat

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 09-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #154
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue View Post

It was really a challenge for me, because it's something I never, never do on my cards.

Tee hee....

*poof*
bwhahahahaha!!!!

Old 09-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #155
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Tee hee....

*poof*
You are such a tease!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #156
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

Quote:

Tee hee....

*poof*
That's not enough of a hint!!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #157
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjen View Post
Glad to know I'm not the only one...

Not my favorite color either --- but I'm happy to use it in October.

Hi everyone --I've been away from SCS for most of the past year. It's been a challenging year for us. My DH was diagnosed with cancer and had a whooper of a surgery. He's recovering nicely, Thank God. Both kids are out of the house -- one moved to California and one went to college... so it's been a year of changes for us. I'm happy to see HYCCT as a constant and am looking forward to playing along as much as I can.

my gallery
Scraperwannabe, JanetJ, mrslaird and 3 others like this post.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #158
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

welcome back Vicki! ( It's good to read your husband is recovering too!)
vdoyle8 likes this post.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #159
Proud Fan Club Member

I found a pack of these awareness pins at Joann's for $3.49. I thought they might be fun to use as an embellishment on some of the cards:

I've been going through my stamps to see what images/sentiments might be good to use. May have to do some last-minute shopping (shucky darn!)

JanetJ, mrslaird and JBgreendawn like this post.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #160

Oh Vicki. what a year you've had. So glad to hear your DH is doing better....good to see you around these parts again

QFTD38 and proud fan club member

Join us for Christmas Card Challenge 2013and All Occasion Card Challenge 2013
Y'all are cordially invited to a teaparty with the Sisterhood of the Traveling Teaparty.
resident lurker at the You Can Do It challenge
vdoyle8 likes this post.