Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1641Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #1001
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via MSN to ohmypaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramomma View Post
Question...I just had a thought...is using black on this card going to be discouraging since this is about breast cancer awareness? UHM...I made 2 cards with black...and I don't normally use black but the color seemed to be what I should use on the card...but now I'm rethinking it...
Kramomma, I think both of these cards are gorgeous! The first one is such an encouraging image that the black just adds to the positive impact, no negativity at all.

The second is so serene, again, no negative impact.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:01 AM   #1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
Here's a good tutorial I used a white sheet that I already had cut for another project. I bought clamp lights at the hardware store, but I wish I had the desk lamps as shown in the picture because I end up having to keep my box in a chair so I have something to attach the clamps to and then my lamps push against the sides of the box. As a result, my box is really pitiful looking. I have used it to help my neighbor take photos of some lotions that she sells and she & her DH do some woodworking. She is talking about building boxes for each of us, but that hasn't happened yet. It really is quite easy to do the cardboard box one and you'll be amazed at the difference in your photos. I did buy pretty good bulbs for my lamps and that made a difference too. All in all I think I spent $25 for the lights and maybe about $15-18 for the better bulbs...light bulbs have really gotten expensive.
My DH cut my cardboard box and made me a light box. Mine is quite puny looking because the felines in our house thinks it's THEIR box. At Christmas DH bought me a 39.00 light box from Amazon that came with 2 lights and a short tripod. A great deal but now one light isn't working and I have come to realize that my CARDBOARD AND TISSUE PAPER light box my DH made for me last year WORKS BETTER!!!!!! I also bought 6.00 clamp lights from Walmart when Steve made my cardboard box.
mamaxsix likes this post.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #1003
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmypaper! View Post
My DH cut my cardboard box and made me a light box. Mine is quite puny looking because the felines in our house thinks it's THEIR box. At Christmas DH bought me a 39.00 light box from Amazon that came with 2 lights and a short tripod. A great deal but now one light isn't working and I have come to realize that my CARDBOARD AND TISSUE PAPER light box my DH made for me last year WORKS BETTER!!!!!! I also bought 6.00 clamp lights from Walmart when Steve made my cardboard box.
What did you clamp yours to?

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #1004
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:
At Christmas DH bought me a 39.00 light box from Amazon that came with 2 lights and a short tripod. A great deal but now one light isn't working
I got that same light box, and frustrated that the light malfunctioned so quickly. There's no way to replace a bulb or repair it. Most of the time, I rely on natural light. Too lazy to set up the light box and there's no room to leave it up all the time. I did purchase a full spectrum table lamp just for night photos, but have yet to unpack it.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #1005
Glitter Guru

My dad made me a light box very similar to this light box from PVC pipes. It's large, but comes apart very easily. Really helps with taking photos. And I like that you can just place a desk lamp on either side and don't have to clip lights anywhere. I cover mine with a white sheet to cut down on overhead glare. Here is the link:

PVC Light box / light tent | MAKE
Old 10-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #1006

Quote:
Question...I just had a thought...is using black on this card going to be discouraging since this is about breast cancer awareness? UHM...I made 2 cards with black...and I don't normally use black but the color seemed to be what I should use on the card...but now I'm rethinking it...
The little rock climber is AWESOME with that twine lined up ... it's like a life line for help from loved ones!!! the TK Stamp? PERFECT... it's like a fuzzy memory of a beautiful place to escape to!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #1007
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you ladies for your kind comments on my black cards...I will leave them as I made them and hope they will arrive with acceptance that I wasn't think "dark" when I made them...

Clutter is a result of delayed decisions. -Audrey Thomas
Old 10-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #1008

Quote:
What did you clamp yours to?
Sorry, was absent most of the day.

I clamped mine to chairs.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #1009

We are count down, people! 9 more challenges to go!
muscrat likes this post.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #1010
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm caught up! And yesterday I made several envelopes for my non A2 size cards and got everything into the clear envelopes. We have kind of a lot of stuff going on with family so I'm hoping to be able to keep up to the end. It's so fantastic to see SO MANY cards in the gallery for this card drive!
Check out the SU Creative Crew gallery HERE
Cook22 and muscrat like this post.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #1011
Stazon Splitcoast

Good evening ladies.....I've been totally out of it since yesterday, been so light headed & tired. I think it's because I've been staying up until 2:00 am on work nights making my cards, yes I am caught up except for yesterday's challenge. In fact, I've been making lots of extras as well.
Today's challenge is a cool one, you'd think with all the cute note pads I buy my kids they would have one to spare, I will have to work on that one tomorrow. I'm working on yesterday's challenge.

Hope all is well with everyone, loving all the cards in the gallery. I'm wondering if Maggi had received my first box of 34 cards? I sent out last week, would anyone know?

Hugs,
Connie
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #1012
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp300 View Post
Good evening ladies.....I've been totally out of it since yesterday, been so light headed & tired. I think it's because I've been staying up until 2:00 am on work nights making my cards, yes I am caught up except for yesterday's challenge. In fact, I've been making lots of extras as well.
Today's challenge is a cool one, you'd think with all the cute note pads I buy my kids they would have one to spare, I will have to work on that one tomorrow. I'm working on yesterday's challenge.

Hope all is well with everyone, loving all the cards in the gallery. I'm wondering if Maggi had received my first box of 34 cards? I sent out last week, would anyone know?

Hugs,
Connie
Wow! You sent 34 cards already? YOu must've included extras. I have extras that will be going too, but this late in the game, I'm waiting and sending them out all together when I am done.
stamp300 likes this post.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #1013
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm making extra cards within the challenges. I do every year, last year I made 73 cards this year my goal is to reach 100 cards so I'm making lots of cards for each of the challenges. I have extra cards that I've made in the past, I will send those separately as I don't want them mixed up.
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Greywolf likes this post.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #1014
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

My day just got very interesting in the most unfun way. I was out on the veranda making a phone call when I notice a deadly brown snake out in the paddock wriggling his way straight towards me. Lucky I was a meter up off the ground, but I didn't want my visitor going under the house. So I've been busy throwing things in his way and tracking where he is going as I've been running from veranda to veranda. I tracked him out in the yard and he's now hiding under an old water trough. Phew!

Cats must have seen me running about and thought 'Hey, look at her. She wants to play." So they came and sat out beside the water trough!!!!! They NEVER done THAT before.

Onto more regular stuff. Luckily today is town day so I'll stop by the cheap shop and buy some note pads for todays challenge.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #1015
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Sorry, was absent most of the day.

I clamped mine to chairs.
I was doing that at first, but it took up so much space to keep it up. I have it in a rocking chair now and i'm using the arms of that, but like I said it has the lamps actually touching the sides of the box. Also, the curved seat makes it touch to keep the bottom of the box level sometimes too.
Getting ready to do some commenting while my sister, BIL and dad are watching baseball.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #1016

Quote:
I was doing that at first, but it took up so much space to keep it up. I have it in a rocking chair now and i'm using the arms of that, but like I said it has the lamps actually touching the sides of the box. Also, the curved seat makes it touch to keep the bottom of the box level sometimes too.
Getting ready to do some commenting while my sister, BIL and dad are watching baseball.
We have very small rooms and the "office/craft room" has previously been a fancy dining room, then guest room. DH brought down the butcher block table for me to stamp on and slowly but surely the book case has had it's books removed to hold craft supplies but this room IS NOT big enough for photography so I have moved to the dining room table for that. My people complain when I leave up my light box, and when I say I don't have anywhere else, MY DH says that I am already taking up too much space!!! LOL He sews his own camping gear so we really are a DIY family in a house much too small for two teens, two cats, and two adult DIYers! I love the photography part of stamping but I also find it the most stressful, trying to get those lights just right, etc etc!!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #1017
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Question

I have a stamp I hope to use yet this month for a challenge...I'm wondering if it will be acceptable to use on HYCCT...

This is what the image says..."Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #1018
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
I have a stamp I hope to use yet this month for a challenge...I'm wondering if it will be acceptable to use on HYCCT...

This is what the image says..."Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King, Jr.
I think that stamp is totally appropriate!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #1019
SCS Gallery Moderator
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Me too!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #1020

Quote:

Kramomma, I've used that sentiment on one of my HYCCT challenge cards this year, I didn't think it was overtly religious:

Butterfly Faith by cjzim - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 10-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #1021
Stampin' Fool

Just uploaded 3 more cards but I am still 7 behind. UGH!!
I make cards for Operation Write Home (OWH)
Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #1022
SCS Gallery Moderator
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

It's Friday (not that that means a lot if your weekend is as busy as ours)!! But remember you have till noon Central time on the 7th November to upload by. That's an extra 7 days - a card a day and you're done .
cjzim and stamp300 like this post.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #1023
Watercolor Wizard

I uploaded two cards today and am still 6 behind. Hope to get one or two more done today.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #1024
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I'm making extra cards within the challenges. I do every year, last year I made 73 cards this year my goal is to reach 100 cards so I'm making lots of cards for each of the challenges. I have extra cards that I've made in the past, I will send those separately as I don't want them mixed up.
That's wonderful Connie! I remember that you made a lot last year. I'm lucky if I can get one made for each challenge. Last year I made doubles of a few that I wanted to keep for my stash (was that selfish?), but haven't had time to do that so far this year. But I have the photos, so I can always go back later and case my own HYCCT cards.
stamp300 and muscrat like this post.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #1025
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
I think that is great...every year I make extra and last year sent about 75 counting both packages...this year my goal is to send 100 also...I was thinking of sending them in a flat rate priority mail...How do you send them each year?
Hugs for all you do~
Sue
temporary design team for Bugaboo
stamp300 and Kathleen Lammie like this post.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #1026
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeestamper View Post
I think that is great...every year I make extra and last year sent about 75 counting both packages...this year my goal is to send 100 also...I was thinking of sending them in a flat rate priority mail...How do you send them each year?
Hugs for all you do~
Sue
I was thinking of doing flat rate priority too, but I bought a cute pink polka dot photo box at Michaels the other week so I may put them in this box and wrap it so they can use the photo box to display their cards. Not sure yet. If this box would fit inside a priority flat rate, that would be perfect, but I don't think that will be the case.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #1027
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm always afraid to send my boxes with a different color tape, does the PO office allow that?
QFTD52
FS318
You Can Do It Challenge
HYCCT2013
Old 10-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #1028

I picked up a couple of Priority flat rate boxes at the P.O. last week; so far, it looks like all of mine will fit in one of those - I had thought I would send out two mailings, but since we're near the end of the challenges, I'm just going with one mailing.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #1029
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
I'm always afraid to send my boxes with a different color tape, does the PO office allow that?
They're pretty lenient as far as how you send. I took an old shoe box full up to get weighed and they said I could send them as is. They wrapped the box closed with their tape and I put on the name and address and off it went!
stamp300 and jeenny2010 like this post.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #1030
Crimping Master

Hi we had to go out yesterday,i brought some 5 notebooks to alter found some pink sequins & a roll of beautiful washi with pink hearts . I didnt get any challenges done yesterday i am 2 behind ,will catch up later,i have been looking at the gallery lots of gorgeous cards & notebooks. After reading about photoboxes,i think i will bundle my cards into a altered photobox ,wrapped in brown paper which i have heaps thanks to Stampin Up since i joined them & i only buy small amounts i get about 20 metres of paper per box as filler. The gallery total was 28 something we should hit 3000 soon like most of you i have added from stash plus made extras i have 40 to go i was hoping on doing 50 seems i might get more than that & i am stoked especially being a newbie to the challenges. Have a good day
UnderstandBlue likes this post.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #1031
Stazon Splitcoast

Had a really nice day here with my mom and dad. Mom had a lunch with some friends and I was excited to see a Tuesday Morning and Hancock fabric store in the strip mall where they were gathered for lunch. I found some really great bargains including an ATG for $7.50! I've resisted for years thinking I didn't need to spend the $$ on it, but who could resist for that price. I also grabbed some Tim Holtz dies including one that says Hope! Looking forward to putting them all to good use.
We had some yummy Chicago deep dish pizza for supper then enjoyed watching a movie together and now I'd better get some rest before I have to travel back home tomorrow.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #1032
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Had a really nice day here with my mom and dad. Mom had a lunch with some friends and I was excited to see a Tuesday Morning and Hancock fabric store in the strip mall where they were gathered for lunch. I found some really great bargains including an ATG for $7.50! I've resisted for years thinking I didn't need to spend the $$ on it, but who could resist for that price. I also grabbed some Tim Holtz dies including one that says Hope! Looking forward to putting them all to good use.
We had some yummy Chicago deep dish pizza for supper then enjoyed watching a movie together and now I'd better get some rest before I have to travel back home tomorrow.
Hope you found some of the refill tape at Hancock Fabrics for the cheap price of $2.25 or $3...

Old 10-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #1033

I've been enjoying some family time too. My DD drove out to spend the night. We took her new car out for a spin and didn't get home til late. This morning I helped her get the car seat covers on.

Between shift work and visitors I'm not sure where I am with the challenges. Yesterday I did find some handy note pads which came in sets of five, so I'm working on getting them all covered.
jeenny2010 likes this post.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #1034
Crimping Master

I have made the ears challenge & have just covered a notebook i have 4 more to do.
I have been making thank you cards plus envelopes for family members,& finally a belated birthday card for my cousin 48 cards in the box so far i am stoked. Cheers
UnderstandBlue likes this post.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #1035
Stazon Splitcoast

An ATG for $7.50....what a DEAL!!!!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #1036
Stazon Splitcoast

Yep, I did get several of the refills for $2.25 as well so I'm set for a while. I'm going to help my mom make some cards before I leave today. She is also my best customer so I brought some along that she'll buy from me (helps me justify the $$ I spent yesterday).
It has been really great to see her feeling so much better. They have a lady staying here who is undergoing radiation for a secondary cancer. She stayed with my parents for quite some time previously when she had complications after her breast cancer surgery the first time. My mom has always been a huge help and support to others and one of the most frustrating things for her when she was having so little energy during her own treatments was the inability to do for others.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #1037
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Ikwym about the ATG gun and I too resisted but kramomma found a great sale on them and the refills and she picked the, up for me. I love it. Had I known how easy it really was to use I would have gotten it years ago.

my SCS gallery
As long as you are capable of anger there are lessons to be learned
Old 10-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #1038

It's late here, and I've just finished my latest card. I thought I'd take a quick look at the new challenge and sleep on it. Seeing it was mixed media I thought I'd quickly whip up a distress paint background so I'd have it ready in the morning. Instead of snapping the cap off the bottle I screwed the lid off. While I'm doing this I am of course expecting a stop value to be in action, so holding the bottle sideways as I'm moving about didn't concern me at all. Until the contents of the Seedless Preserve paint ejected out of the bottle onto my lap and KER-splat onto the carpet. YIKES!!! Thankfully no one cares about this old carpet which hasn't presented well for years, but what and awful mess to clean up just the same.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #1039
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstreez View Post
It's late here, and I've just finished my latest card. I thought I'd take a quick look at the new challenge and sleep on it. Seeing it was mixed media I thought I'd quickly whip up a distress paint background so I'd have it ready in the morning. Instead of snapping the cap off the bottle I screwed the lid off. While I'm doing this I am of course expecting a stop value to be in action, so holding the bottle sideways as I'm moving about didn't concern me at all. Until the contents of the Seedless Preserve paint ejected out of the bottle onto my lap and KER-splat onto the carpet. YIKES!!! Thankfully no one cares about this old carpet which hasn't presented well for years, but what and awful mess to clean up just the same.
YIKES!

Old 10-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #1040
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstreez View Post
Oh no, I have done that too. It is a mess.

my SCS gallery
As long as you are capable of anger there are lessons to be learned