Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Mad Swapper

Heart Who can't wait to plant their veggie garden?

Who can't wait to plant their veggie garden? I sooo need to garden. I care for soil nearly every day.

What is your best crop?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

I'm in Australia so my main veggie growing season is starting to wind down plus I'm in a really hot are so we can start earlier than lots of places. The tomatoes did really well this year - we're still picking a dozen every couple of days but they're just sstarting to look a little sad and the cucumbers (green and apple) did well too. It is a good season so most things took off but the only thing that really failed was some broccoli.

What kind of things do you plant in your area?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

I can't say I'm chomping at the bit to get it started. (Let's just say that I enjoy the results better than the process, and about the only help I get with it is that my husband will roto-till the garden for me.)

Peas, lettuce and snaps (green beans) grow best for me. Last year we tried carrots for the first time and they did all right. I love butterbeans but haven't had as much good luck with them the last couple of years. Bell peppers haven't done well for me lately either.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcharm View Post
I'm in Australia so my main veggie growing season is starting to wind down plus I'm in a really hot are so we can start earlier than lots of places. The tomatoes did really well this year - we're still picking a dozen every couple of days but they're just sstarting to look a little sad and the cucumbers (green and apple) did well too. It is a good season so most things took off but the only thing that really failed was some broccoli.

What kind of things do you plant in your area?

Our growing season starts in April or May(depending on frost) and normally ends in September or October(depending on frost). But I still had tomatoes in November! Tomatoes and cucumbers are my best crops. Our little forest friends don't usually LET us have beans, peas, corn, sunflowers, and sometimes pumpkins. This last season I was able to sneak a crop of beans though. I fail at broccoli too, but I don't mind if it's flowers mature. I love the little yellow flowers and so does our neighbors honey bees. I also fail at onions, radishes, carrots---now that I think about, I fail at most root crops. Ha. Oh, before I forget, my peppers did well this year! My best pepper year in fact.

That plants that grow good (veggie wise) in Indiana (USA) are cabbage, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, beans, soybeans, corn, cucumbers, pumpkins, quash, gourds, lettuse........oh I need to garden.........brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrots, radishes, beets and cauliflower. I know there are more than that, but all I can think of at this moment.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Mad Swapper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
I can't say I'm chomping at the bit to get it started. (Let's just say that I enjoy the results better than the process, and about the only help I get with it is that my husband will roto-till the garden for me.)

Peas, lettuce and snaps (green beans) grow best for me. Last year we tried carrots for the first time and they did all right. I love butterbeans but haven't had as much good luck with them the last couple of years. Bell peppers haven't done well for me lately either.
For your next crop of peppers, try banana water. Did wonders for my peppers. You can use a whole banana or just the peel. Smash it up a bit and soak it in about a cup of water (per 1 whole banana or 2 whole peels) over night. Pour the water at the base of your pepper plant then lay the leftover banana over the roots. Do this as you feel you need to (I gave it to mine about 3 times). Does wonders!

Happy gardening!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Hardware Hotshot

i dont have a veggie patch, but i cant wait to get my flowerbeds pretty again!
and, i wanna try some "container" veggies this yr too. tomatoes, peppers, maybe some herbs..........

Old 01-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Die Cut Diva

I do herbs and my growing season usually starts the end of February all the way through December. Yes, I'm spoiled living just outside Houston. The basils recycle - I still plant a few every year but have quite a few repops from last year. I just started doing peppers again and the banana peppers did very well this past year.

I'm ready to start.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBreeze View Post
For your next crop of peppers, try banana water. Did wonders for my peppers. You can use a whole banana or just the peel. Smash it up a bit and soak it in about a cup of water (per 1 whole banana or 2 whole peels) over night. Pour the water at the base of your pepper plant then lay the leftover banana over the roots. Do this as you feel you need to (I gave it to mine about 3 times). Does wonders!

Happy gardening!
Interesting. I guess the peppers like the potassium in the bananas? Thanks for sharing that tip.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Insane Embellisher

I know the rest of the country has had sun but up here in the Northwest it has been a long cold winter and a very wet spring. Tomorrow is a nice day and I will be outside working in the dirt. I can hardly wait.

Think I will get flower pots done first and than a lot of edging and weed pulling. Oh yeah, I put fertilizer on the lawn last weekend and all it did was rain this week. I guess I will be mowing the lawn first.