Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stampers in Toledo, OH?

Hi there!

I am going to be moving to Toledo in the next few weeks and was wondering if there were any other stampers out there that could give me the scoop on the area?
  • craft stores (most important right???)
  • things to do
  • places to avoid
  • anything else
thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I'm not from Toledo, but about 45 miles south of there, and I shop there quite a lot--or did until gas prices shot up so much!

Anyhow--there is a GREAT stamp store on Dussel Drive in Maumee--The Elegant Stamp. That's the only one I know of in the area, but there could be more. If you find a different one, let me know!

There are at least 3 Michaels--one at Airport and Reynolds, one at Monroe and Tallmadge, and one on State Route 20 east of Perrysburg.

Hobby Lobby is located on Monroe Street, west of Tallmadge, but I couldn't tell you what a closer crossroad would be.

Monroe Street is also where the Franklin Park Mall is located, just west of Secor Road.

In August, the Heirloom Productions Rubber Stamping Show will be in Novi, MI, about an hour north of Toledo--and well worth the trip! I believe it runs for 2 days--maybe 3.

Hope this helps! And welcome to NW Ohio--where you might need the heat one day, and the A/C the next! LOL
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Hi, I am from the Toledo area but live in Chicago. Mom lives in Maumee right down the road from The Elegant Stamp. Great store!!! If they don't have what you want they will order it for you. The orders come in really fast. Best stamp place I have ever dealt with. Enjoy!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi! I used to live in the Toledo area (not far away in Michigan), and I go back quite often, as our families are there. Just a few things to know about Toledo:

* The Toledo Zoo is one of the best in the country! AWESOME! Get a membership...you'll be there often!

* The Toledo Museum of Art...fantastic! The Toledo Symphony performs here often, and they are very good. Thye also perform at the zoo ampitheatre in the summers...it's a lot of fun!

* Toledo is the home of the Mud Hens, a great minor league ball team with a really nice new stadium.

* Tony Packo's restaurants, made famous by Jamie Farr's character in MASH. Awesome chili dogs and Hungarian specialties. Come to think of it, Toledo has a lot of awesome ethnic restaurants!

* Toledo has wonderful metroparks!

* The Anderson's! One of my favorite stores in the world...I shop there whenever I'm in town. It's a Home Depot meets Trader Joe's...hard to describe, but a great shopping experience!

*The Elegant Stamp is very nice...the closest Archiver's stores are about an hour north in Michigan, one in Sterling Heights and another in Novi. There are a few specialty scrapbook/stamp stores. I recall a few in Sylvania, OH.

Okay, after reading this post, I think I should be paid by the Toledo Chamber of commerce! ;) Hope you enjoy it! Housing prices are a steal there, and there are still a few good school systems in surrounding neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Forgot one more thing! My friend, Donna (aka Michigan Stamper here on SCS), lives very close to Toledo. She's a great SU! demo with lots of fun classes...I always send my friends and family to her. She's just a really nice person, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I work in Toledo and live between Perrysburg and Bowling Green. It seems that most of the stamping/scrapping stores I've been to in the area have closed, except for the Elegant Stamp in Maumee mentioned earlier.

I'm especially excited right now, since a new Hobby Lobby is opening in Bowling Green on June 9, which will save me a long drive to the one in Toledo. It's in a perfect location - across the road from Wal-Mart, so I'll definitely be there frequently.

Toledo and the surrounding area have lots of good restaurants. If you have kids, you'll want to pay close attention to the schools. Several within Toledo are in academic emergency or academic watch. Once you get moved in, you'll hear a lot about Toledo's current mayor, who I understand actually was made into a question in Trivial Pursuit with one of his brilliant comments.

Anyway, welcome to the area!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Hi! I used to live in the Toledo area (not far away in Michigan), and I go back quite often, as our families are there. Just a few things to know about Toledo:

* The Toledo Zoo is one of the best in the country! AWESOME! Get a membership...you'll be there often!

* The Toledo Museum of Art...fantastic! The Toledo Symphony performs here often, and they are very good. Thye also perform at the zoo ampitheatre in the summers...it's a lot of fun!

* Toledo is the home of the Mud Hens, a great minor league ball team with a really nice new stadium.

* Tony Packo's restaurants, made famous by Jamie Farr's character in MASH. Awesome chili dogs and Hungarian specialties. Come to think of it, Toledo has a lot of awesome ethnic restaurants!

* Toledo has wonderful metroparks!

* The Anderson's! One of my favorite stores in the world...I shop there whenever I'm in town. It's a Home Depot meets Trader Joe's...hard to describe, but a great shopping experience!

*The Elegant Stamp is very nice...the closest Archiver's stores are about an hour north in Michigan, one in Sterling Heights and another in Novi. There are a few specialty scrapbook/stamp stores. I recall a few in Sylvania, OH.

Okay, after reading this post, I think I should be paid by the Toledo Chamber of commerce! ;) Hope you enjoy it! Housing prices are a steal there, and there are still a few good school systems in surrounding neighborhoods.
MMM... Packo's!! You made me want to go visit my family just for a hot dog! LOL

I grew up in Sylvania which is right outside Toledo. All of the Sylvania stamping/scrapbooking stores have gone out of business. But the Elegant Stamp is wonderful as other's have mentioned.

The Anderson's is great. They have a fabulous meat market and awesome produce selection. We always stock up when we are in town visiting.

Libby Glass factory outlet is a great place to go if you need any dishes and is located in the Erie Street Market.

I wouldn't recommend Toledo public school's if you have children, as other's have said they are struggling. Instead look into Sylvania, Perrysburg, or Anthony Wayne.

Maryrose gave you a lot of great things to do while in Toledo! Good luck with the move and I hope you enjoy it there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Maumee is a community adjacent to Toledo, and it was recently voted as one of the best small midwest towns to live in...good schools, a quaint downtown area, lots of growth nearby.

Sylvania is another nice community...good schools, and a quaint main street, with some lovely older homes.

I came from Bedford township, just over the border in Michigan. Good schools, a fabulous library, but the growth remained unchecked for many years. Too many subdivisions and too much sprawl, but still a nice area to raise a family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ribbons and InkView Post
Hi there!

I am going to be moving to Toledo in the next few weeks and was wondering if there were any other stampers out there that could give me the scoop on the area?
  • craft stores (most important right???)
  • things to do
  • places to avoid
  • anything else
thanks!!

I don't live in Toledo- but I do live about 20 minutes away. There's a lot of craft stores.....Hobby Lobby, JoAnn, Michaels, etc... Plus- in Monroe where I live- there is a really good craft store called Crafts 2000. I'm usually around on the evenings and weekends. If you'd like to get together some time- I'd be happy to show you around

Dani

Edited to ask since I've never been to the stamp store on Dussel Drive- how close to Reynolds road is it? The only places I know where are on Dussel Drive- are Cold Stone Creamery, The Cookie-Lady and the Hummer dealership. Hmm....

Last edited by Dani D; 05-30-2008 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

I live in Toledo. I just moved here a year ago though, so I still don't know the city super well. And I just got into stamping, so I know even less about good places to go! I just thought I'd say hi since I live there though
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2008, 06:02 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dani DView Post
I don't live in Toledo- but I do live about 20 minutes away. There's a lot of craft stores.....Hobby Lobby, JoAnn, Michaels, etc... Plus- in Monroe where I live- there is a really good craft store called Crafts 2000. I'm usually around on the evenings and weekends. If you'd like to get together some time- I'd be happy to show you around

Dani

Edited to ask since I've never been to the stamp store on Dussel Drive- how close to Reynolds road is it? The only places I know where are on Dussel Drive- are Cold Stone Creamery, The Cookie-Lady and the Hummer dealership. Hmm....
Dani, if you've been to Cookie Lady--The Elegant Stamp is right next to them! To your left as you walk up to Cookie Lady. MMMMMM . . . I love their cookies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2008, 06:54 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Awesome info ladies, thanks!!! And I'll definitely take those of you that offered up on the chance to meet up and stamp together, and just get to meet people! My husband is taking a post doc position at UT and I'll be working at home so I'll take any opportunity I have to meet new people.

I'm intrigued by this Home Depot meets Trader Joe's combo and agree maryrose, you SHOULD be on the chamber of commerce there!!

We are both from the Cleveland/Akron area so are prepared for cold again, but we've lived in Virginia for the past 9 years and I'm sure I've forgotten just how cold it can get (eek!). We don't have children (yet!) so schools aren't as big of a factor right now. We'll be going up next week to look for a place to live then will be moving in the next couple of weeks. June is going to be a whirlwind no doubt!!!!

Thanks again for the info and keep the info/tips coming! Once we get moved in I'll be back in touch if anyone wants to meet up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Welcome to the area!! I am about 30 miles south of Toledo, just outside of Bowling Green (YEP, we have a new Hobby Lobby,opened last week) There is a couple scrapbook stores I don't think have been mentioned yet. If so I'm sorry for duplicating.Not too far into Michigan on Sterns Rd there is Magical Memories,a very nice store and over in Wauseon there is Jenny Craft it is a very nice store also. Then there are a couple more in towns around the area(Freemont, New Reigal). If interested let me know I can look up addy's for you. I didn't know about the stamp store on Dussel.Thanks alot!! I hope you enjoy living in the area. And lotsa luck house hunting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks scrappingranny! We moved in on Monday and are slowly getting settled. This weekend we will finish unpacking then I can start planning my craft store trips - he he! Though DH will probably make fun of me if I buy anything after we realized a HUGE portion of the boxes we moved were stamping/crafty stuff.... I can't believe how much stuff I had in the closets there - yikes!! :blush:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 06:05 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Welcome! I just moved here a year ago, but my fiance has lived here for more than 10 years, so if you need help finding anything in Toledo, let me know!

Also, based on our experience last week, make sure you add sewage back-up to your home-owners insurance; every basement in our entire neighborhood flooded last week because the sewage line got clogged. We were lucky enough to be covered, but most of our neighbors were only covered for burst pipes. Toledo seems to have a lot of issues with flooding :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbenjamView Post
I work in Toledo and live between Perrysburg and Bowling Green. It seems that most of the stamping/scrapping stores I've been to in the area have closed, except for the Elegant Stamp in Maumee mentioned earlier.

I'm especially excited right now, since a new Hobby Lobby is opening in Bowling Green on June 9, which will save me a long drive to the one in Toledo. It's in a perfect location - across the road from Wal-Mart, so I'll definitely be there frequently.

Toledo and the surrounding area have lots of good restaurants. If you have kids, you'll want to pay close attention to the schools. Several within Toledo are in academic emergency or academic watch. Once you get moved in, you'll hear a lot about Toledo's current mayor, who I understand actually was made into a question in Trivial Pursuit with one of his brilliant comments.

Anyway, welcome to the area!

Mary
Awwww, good old Carty, you can always count on him to put his foot in his mouth! I used to live in Toledo too and go back often to visit family. Let me know if you find any good stores, I'm always on the lookout for one when I visit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 06:14 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Wow! Lots of Toledo area people here! I grew up in Maumee, just moved away about five years ago, but we're back all the time to visit family.

I LOVE The Cookie Lady! I'll have to tell my mom about the stamp store. She's not a stamper but I am and it's a great place for her to buy me stamps!

Funny to hear that Carty has made it into Trivial Pursuit. He means well with everything he tries to do for the city...just needs to get some sort of filter between his brain and mouth! My cousin works for him...he said it can get pretty interesting...

If you have any questions about areas and schools, etc. feel free to PM me.

My blog...a work in progress...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Just wanted to let all the MI/OH stampers near Toledo know that Magical Memories in Lambertville MI is going out of business. They're closed today and tomorrow then on Monday- they will start their clearance sales. Magical Memories has been one of my favorite scrapbooking stores. I'm sad to see it go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by gqzmommyView Post
Wow! Lots of Toledo area people here! I grew up in Maumee, just moved away about five years ago, but we're back all the time to visit family.

I LOVE The Cookie Lady! I'll have to tell my mom about the stamp store. She's not a stamper but I am and it's a great place for her to buy me stamps!

Funny to hear that Carty has made it into Trivial Pursuit. He means well with everything he tries to do for the city...just needs to get some sort of filter between his brain and mouth! My cousin works for him...he said it can get pretty interesting...

If you have any questions about areas and schools, etc. feel free to PM me.
Mmmm the cookie lady! I'm gonna have to make a run there! It's funny how I found them- I was shopping for my new Hummer and just happened to look across the road and there it was! Their cutout cookies are the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cricketpeView Post
every basement in our entire neighborhood flooded last week because the sewage line got clogged.
We were quite lucky that our sump pump handled it well but the neighbors didn't have as good of luck, there were several flooded basements here too. Good call about adding that to our insurance, thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Croptoberfest Oct 10-12

If any of you are interested our CM Croptoberfest is going to be in Archbold,Oh Oct 10 -12. If you would like info email me [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 05:17 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I see this thread is kind of old, but hoping if I give it a bump someone will notice. I grew up in Napoleon, and spent tons of time in Toledo, but now live in Northeast Ohio. A friend and I are road trippin' to Indiana and back in July and want to stop at a few places along the way home. I have heard of The Elegant Stamp but have never been there. Can't seem to find a website. Anyone know if they have one.

BTW, if you're in the mood for a stay-in-the-state, one-tank-trip there's a great little store in Smithville with awesome stamps! It's within a toy store called Toyrifix, and there's also a great gift shop, bulk food store, Amish furniture store and The Barn Restaurant within the same complex. Lots of other great things in the area, too! (Oh.... and I manage the stamping department at Toyrifix so I'm a little biased! But hey, a girls gotta' toot her own horn sometimes!)

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #23  

Is there anyone in Toledo anymore? Hello? Is this thing on??? ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm about 30 miles south of Toledo. Most of the scrapping stores aound here have closed. So how far is your store from Toledo?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm about 15 miles south of Napoleon--and can tell you that the Elegant Stamp is still in business, and is located between Reynolds Road/Conant Street and I-475 on the west side of Maumee. I don't believe they have a website--but their address is 1643 Tollgate Road, Maumee, OH 43537, the the phone # is 419-897-4657. It's best to call them for hours--I know there is one day they are closed, but I don't have that written down. They have a lot of stamps in stock.

Another shop to check out, since you are going to Indiana, is Stamping Day and Night, located on the north side of Fort Wayne. Address is 9185 Lima Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46818, and phone is 260-416-0805. Nice store, well-organized. Again, best to call them for their hours.

Those are the only two that I know of, but both are well worth stopping at! Happy road-trip!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #26  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb ZaView Post
I'm about 15 miles south of Napoleon--and can tell you that the Elegant Stamp is still in business, and is located between Reynolds Road/Conant Street and I-475 on the west side of Maumee. I don't believe they have a website--but their address is 1643 Tollgate Road, Maumee, OH 43537, the the phone # is 419-897-4657. It's best to call them for hours--I know there is one day they are closed, but I don't have that written down. They have a lot of stamps in stock.

Another shop to check out, since you are going to Indiana, is Stamping Day and Night, located on the north side of Fort Wayne. Address is 9185 Lima Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46818, and phone is 260-416-0805. Nice store, well-organized. Again, best to call them for their hours.

Those are the only two that I know of, but both are well worth stopping at! Happy road-trip!!!!!
Hi Deb, and thanks for responding! Are you outside of Holgate? My sister lives between Holgate and Newber on Co. Rd. 16-C!

The Elegant Stamp is just off the turnpike, right? That would probably work out best, because we were going to go to The Scrapbook Nook in Archbold, and wanted to hit Stamplistic in Amherst, too.

Thanks for the tip about the store in Ft. Wayne. I don't know if we'll go that way or not... we're going to be in Shipshewana. But I have a cousin in Ft. Wayne who I haven't seen in years, and she has an almost 1 year old adopted son who I haven't met, so I'd love to work a little time into seeing them. I don't know if it'll work out with my traveling companion, but it's worth checking into if we have time! Thanks again for the info!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #27  

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingrannyView Post
I'm about 30 miles south of Toledo. Most of the scrapping stores aound here have closed. So how far is your store from Toledo?
I can get to Toledo in about 2.5 hours from here, especially if the traffic is flowing well once I hit I-75 in Findlay! We usually take 15 out of Findlay to 23 South, then take route 30 straight across when we travel back home after visiting family. My Dad still lives in Napoleon, and my Mom lives in Defiance. We only make it back to NW Ohio about twice a year anymore because my girls have so many activities, but the grandparents come here quite often, so it's a well-traveled path in my family!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #28  

P.S. Sorry I didn't respond sooner here... I did NOT get an email letting me know this thread had updated. What's up with that lately? Seems to happen a lot!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb ZaView Post
I'm in Defiance, and get to Ft. Wayne more than Toledo (I'm originally from Swanton) so thanks for the heads up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #30  

Well, you just never know who you're going to run into where... Deb Za and I have discovered we're distantly related!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2009, 05:18 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wasn't that wild? Just proves, once again, what a small world it is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #32  

Well, it's going to be Monday, July 20th when I'm in the area... was planning to hit The Scrapbook Korner in Archbold first thing, then hit the turnpike and stop at The Elegant Stamp, then back on the turnpike to go to Stamplistic. Just found out Elegant Stamp is closed on Mondays. :( Anyone have any other suggestions in the area? Is Grand Rapids still full of quaint little shops? Is there anything there? How about Wauseon?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #33  

Does anyone know if The Scrapbook Treasure Shoppe on Monroe Street, or The Scrapbook Place on Exective Parkway are still open?

Reply With Quote Likes