Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 07-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
Sassy Shani

Default Caching lately???

We have been on a roll and really getting back into this. We are still newbies with only 260 finds as of today. I nabbed my very 1st FTF today. It was in a State Park with a wedding going on about 400 feet away. Tad awkward but that did not stop me from shouting out with a WHOOP WHOOP!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 07-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

WHOOP! I went a LOT longer than you without a FTF - those are very elusive!!

And ROFL - I bet they will remember that moment!

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store | My Online Classes
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Shanon likes this post.
Unread 07-24-2014, 01:17 AM   #3
Insane Embellisher

I love caching! My daughter got me into it this year. Colorado is apparently the land of Micro Mini's...lol My grandson does it with us too, he's 13 and the one to get the ones really deeply under bushes...lol . It's kinda fun just hanging out and basically treasure hunting.

I'm a newbie too. I'm still under 100. My ex father in law has like 4500. I haven't had a FTF yet.

Nice to meet fellow chatter's!! I'm Kathy
Shanon likes this post.
Unread 07-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Sassy Shani

Hi Kathy! Hopefully we can get this thread up and going again. I love to hear other cachers stories. We hit 283 as of yesterday. We took a friend of ours out caching for his 1st time this past weekend. He is officially addicted. LOL

A couple of weekends ago we went to a small event and there was a guy there that had 30,800 finds. CRAZY!
Denverkat276 likes this post.
Unread 07-30-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
Insane Embellisher

It doesn't take much to get someone addicted. I went with my daughter and she got one of those large rubber made like containers full of stuff. At that point I was hooked. I have my first trackable that I'm getting ready to plant. It is traveling on behalf of me and my diagnosis. I thought of it when I saw that first cache, so it is going to travel since I really can't anymore. I'll post when I actually put it out. I'm excited to see where it goes!!
Shanon likes this post.
Unread 07-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
Sassy Shani

That is wonderful. We have a couple of travel bugs out there. We only "own" one cache and it is down at our beach house in Lincoln City, Oregon. We placed a travel bug in there last year (skunkerz). Skunkerz is now in France. How exciting is that?

Are you a member on geocahing.com?
Unread 07-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
Insane Embellisher

That is too cool. Yes, I'm on geocaching.com. My name is denverkatgirl276. I am so frustrated because I haven't been able to sign in. I was going to do some caching on Friday with my grandsons and I like to plan out where we go. I emailed the site tonight to help me out. I will post here when I do set my trackable on the loose. I just thought it was a fun idea.
Unread 07-31-2014, 03:23 AM   #8
Mad Swapper

Hi! My 7 year old daughter learned a little bit about this in girl scout camp and wants to start doing it. I have very little idea what it even is so I guess I need to start researching. Best website or app?
Unread 07-31-2014, 05:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerridwen3301 View Post
Hi! My 7 year old daughter learned a little bit about this in girl scout camp and wants to start doing it. I have very little idea what it even is so I guess I need to start researching. Best website or app?

I'd definitely get the official Groundspeak app and a premium membership. It's sooo much fun - you and she will LOVE it.

I need to go check on the cache I placed in our neighborhood - it got washed away in a flood, I hear. Bummer because it was a really nice container.

There's a challenge for August - anyone want to do that one together?

Love Splitcoast?

Unread 07-31-2014, 06:00 AM   #10

Oops forgot the link

https://www.geocaching.com/myaccount...campaign=7SofA

Love Splitcoast?

Unread 07-31-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
Sassy Shani

I'm up for the August challenge
Unread 08-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #12
Insane Embellisher

I haven't gone premium yet. My daughter has though. My grandson (13yro) isn't premium, but he is GREAT at finding the shockers. He spots those right off. I wished when I was a girl scout that I would have known about this.

I think it's great for kids to get into. Its good clean treasure hunting fun.

We went to the discount and dollar stores and bought a cute bag and stuffed it full of prizes to swap out and trade. It's good clean fun for people who want to be active (but not go to the gym), and just have fun with someone looking in things underthings or something disguised. We found one of those bolts with a tight wound log inside. It was so cool.
Unread 08-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #13
Sassy Shani

Hi there. We got up this morning and drove to the coast to do some caching. No agenda and no planned caches to find. We ended up just driving around and taking in the scenery. Only logged one cache for the day but still had a great time driving on side roads that we had never traveled down before. It was like we were lost but not lost if that makes any sense. We ended up at the sand dunes where I used to ride my quad many moons ago. Hopefully we will get up bright and early tomorrow to put more on our geo map
Unread 09-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #14
Compulsive Stamper

It's great to hear that there are other geocachers who also love creating handmade cards. My husband and I have a joint account and we go by the name of ATMA. We've been caching since August 2005 and have a little over 15K. We would have a lot more, but so much has happened in the last few years that it has made it difficult to get out and cache the way we would like. I agree with getting the premium membership, it is worth it, and if you have an iphone, then you will want to get the app from Groundspeak, otherwise if you have an android phone, then you will want to download the free app called c:geo - It is very user friendly and does everything if not more that the Groundspeak app does. I'm located here in the Houston area. Lydia, I noticed that you are in the Austin area. Have you done the one that Richard Garriott has put out? It is awesome!
Unread 09-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaTX View Post
It's great to hear that there are other geocachers who also love creating handmade cards. My husband and I have a joint account and we go by the name of ATMA. We've been caching since August 2005 and have a little over 15K. We would have a lot more, but so much has happened in the last few years that it has made it difficult to get out and cache the way we would like. I agree with getting the premium membership, it is worth it, and if you have an iphone, then you will want to get the app from Groundspeak, otherwise if you have an android phone, then you will want to download the free app called c:geo - It is very user friendly and does everything if not more that the Groundspeak app does. I'm located here in the Houston area. Lydia, I noticed that you are in the Austin area. Have you done the one that Richard Garriott has put out? It is awesome!
Necropolis? YES - it's amazing. We did it and took a whole day - I felt like a tourist in my own town - you learn so much Austin history - and would you believe that was the first time I climbed Mt. Bonnell????

Love Splitcoast?

Unread 11-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #16
Compulsive Stamper

I can't believe that it is such a small world. Maybe the next time we are in the Austin area we can get together. My niece and her parents just started geocaching too! Another fun sport that we do is called Munzee which is a free app as well. It is all done with your phone and takes you to great places as well. We also play Monsters which the grandkids absolutely love!
UnderstandBlue likes this post.
Unread 12-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #17
Proud Fan Club Member

Went caching this morning. It's been a few years since I've gone, so I'm a little rusty. I use a regular GPS and it said I was at Ground Zero, but I wasn't finding anything. Eventually found it, in a little nano holder attached to a birds feet. I was sure I was looking for a bird because the hint was "she holds it in her feet" and it was hidden in a cemetery. I love cemetery hunts because no one cares if you are wandering around there or not. So after finding this one, I decided on another one, only two miles from home. Looked as long as I could until the two cups of coffee kicked in and I HAD to go home! After I got home, I logged in to log my find and saw there had been another cache right where I parked my car to look for the last cache! So there are two within a short distance that I'm going back up for this week! LOL

My Christmas card to SCS friends!
UnderstandBlue likes this post.
Unread 12-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #18
Proud Fan Club Member

It happened again today! Found a cache and came home and logged it only to find there was another new cache within. Walking distance! Have to go back.

Unread 12-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
It happened again today! Found a cache and came home and logged it only to find there was another new cache within. Walking distance! Have to go back.
You should give the android app a try sometime - then you can always see all the caches right around you as they're added.

I know some people look down their noses at the app - but I've found more than 600 caches with the Iphone app so it can't be that bad

Love Splitcoast?

Unread 12-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #20
Proud Fan Club Member

Don't try caching if you don't have your GPS along. I write down clues and notes that might help in a little notebook. So I thought I knew just where that we one cache was from last week and left the GPS at home. It was not where I thought it should be so I will have to go back with GPS. I use a regular car GPS and just put navigation to off road so I can get the distance to show up. If you let it on shorter distance or fastest time, once you get near the location it tells you you're there and then stops searching. My DH goes along by he doesn't enjoy it anymore. He will still help hunt but ifnitnwere up to him, he'd prefer to hike or something.

Unread 12-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
Don't try caching if you don't have your GPS along. I write down clues and notes that might help in a little notebook. So I thought I knew just where that we one cache was from last week and left the GPS at home. It was not where I thought it should be so I will have to go back with GPS. I use a regular car GPS and just put navigation to off road so I can get the distance to show up. If you let it on shorter distance or fastest time, once you get near the location it tells you you're there and then stops searching. My DH goes along by he doesn't enjoy it anymore. He will still help hunt but ifnitnwere up to him, he'd prefer to hike or something.

The app does that too - I've never used a GPS. My hubby is not a fan either - and my sister and BIL like to hike but get impatient with me when I stop to find one. I think it makes hiking a lot more fun.

Love Splitcoast?

muscrat likes this post.