Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you kidding me, I can hardly believe I was half right!

I have mentioned before that I thought I had crafters ADD because I start so many different types of projects or learning techniques and whatnot only to sometimes not follow through.

BUT..................

Seriously, I have ADHD!!!!! I just got diagnosed last week, no wonder school was so awful! I'm 30 and I just found out, what a different way life could have been, you know?

I know I can't be the only one who has this issue and I know it effects my stamping, not sure if it's for the better or for the worse though! And if anyone has gone on medication has it made you a better stamper because your more focused, or did it zap your creativity?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Interesting. I've known of antidepressants that zap your creativity but haven't had any experience with ADHD drugs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

i don't think that ADHD meds would squelch your creativity.

i am sure that i am ADHD as well. (and over 40)

you can manage with it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Smile question

I've wondered if I'm ADHD myself..... How are you diagnosed????

I was told I have white matter disease, but for now it shouldn't be of any clinical significance, so they watch it and every 3 months I go for an MRI... but I feel like I'm ADHD or there is some clinical significance.... My dr. says it's stress....... But I argue and tell him I have nothing to be stressed about - I'm happy and everything here is wonderful, but he says I am and dont know it???? It's a chemical im-balance in my brain that causes it..... I beg to differ...

Thanks for any insight!!!!!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by slasley475View Post

I was told I have white matter disease, but for now it shouldn't be of any clinical significance, so they watch it and every 3 months I go for an MRI... but I feel like I'm ADHD or there is some clinical significance.... My dr. says it's stress....... But I argue and tell him I have nothing to be stressed about - I'm happy and everything here is wonderful, but he says I am and dont know it???? It's a chemical im-balance in my brain that causes it..... I beg to differ...

I see a Psychologist who is also an Internist (sp?) so he really understands different medications and how they work in your body. He is by FAR the most knowledgeable Dr. I have EVER seen.

Every time he asks me questions about different "things" he pulls out his textbook with all the clinical symptoms and asks me which I identify with. Along with asking me many, many, questions.

For the ADHD he also gave me 3 different questionaires to fill out. For one the average score was 15 out of 20, I had 19 out of 20!!!! The other two, the average score was 17, and my two totals were 25 and 31. ]

There is absolutely no denying this is what has been "off" for me, now that I have been reading all the different symptoms. He said that the majority of women are not diagnosed because their symptoms are different then men and more subtle.

I would reccomend seeing a Psychiatrist that has really good feedback, either from friends or a Dr. you trust and can see eye to eye with.

All fascinating stuff really, looking back and piecing it all together with this missing link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I was diagnosed this year at age 40!!!! I am on Ritalin LA and have not noticed it zapping my creativity. As a matter of fact, it's actually helped me finish projects that I start. I also have more focus. I have a thread started for those of us with ADD/ADHD. I have my story on there and several others have chimed in, too. Please come on over and introduce yourself. It's nice to know that there are others on SCS like me, kwim?

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Smile thanks

Thanks for your answer! I think I'll have to pusue this further - it really bothers me.....

Maybe some time I can chat with you privately and see if what I experience is common to you or similar - and mine goes way back to when I was little - but now it's more noticeable to ME....

Thanks again!!
Shaunna
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I was diagnosed when I was taking my son for "the tests". My whole elementary and middle school years flashed before my eyes. All I heard is "she is intelligent, she just isn't making a good effort". I don't know how many times I heard my mother say "this is simple arithmetic, stop acting stupid". Of course it was the 60's.Finally I got into junior high, and kind of pulled myself out of it, graduated high school with a 90 average, did it all by myself. But now, I think, I could of been more, had more. I do have a college degree, make a good income, but I could of done even more. My son and I are very close, and I have been very protective of him. Now I joke about it, I even tell my friends I had a very hard add week. I live with it, know my limitations, exercise program has helped immensely.

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Patrice,

You are a textbook case of why my generation of women were never diagnosed! We do not exhibit the same symptoms as males. Males tend to act out and be distracting or a behavior problem in class. Females seem to be "lazy" or "not working to full potential" ----which often ends up being diagnosed as depression.

I am glad you were able to come up with your own strategies to survive and make such excellent grades. Unfortunately, I didn't have these strategies in high school. I just coasted by. During college, however, I was more mature and did much bettter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Hey Brenda,

It makes me angry when I think back over some events of past years, but no use stewing about it now. I have a great job, teach kickboxing, new SU demonstrator, my life is full. I take Lexapro now, which has helped. I do need help sleeping some nights, got some meds for that. I told dh today I am going to totally empty my scrap room, put new flooring in, totally remodel it. He just nods, uh huh. Probably thinks, another one of her projects started, but never gets finished. Well, I am going to start, and finish.

I think I can, I think I can , lol

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Elizebeth,

Do you almost feel relief now that you've been diagnosed? When I first found out, I was so ecstatic. "What I have, has a name! I am not just crazy and imagining that something's not right!" After a few weeks, my feelings changed to anger ----- "I could've been saved so much heartache had I known that I had this. I can't even come close to imagining what things I could've accomplished if I had known." Now I am past both of those stages and it's just a part of my life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an online Adult ADHD quiz: http://psychcentral.com/addquiz.htm
I just took it and scored a 92.

So, I guess I should look into this a bit more.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassybeeView Post
Elizebeth,

Do you almost feel relief now that you've been diagnosed? When I first found out, I was so ecstatic. "What I have, has a name! I am not just crazy and imagining that something's not right!" After a few weeks, my feelings changed to anger ----- "I could've been saved so much heartache had I known that I had this. I can't even come close to imagining what things I could've accomplished if I had known." Now I am past both of those stages and it's just a part of my life.
I do feel better now that it is confirmed. My Dr. had started to ask me questions about a month ago and I brushed them off, I thought he was crazy. And he was asking me about school and I was answering about the last school I was in which was cosmetology school, which was 40 hours a week of hands-on constantly busy work.

Anyway, over the last few weeks I've realized that something was "off" and I decided to think back to school. How I would sit down to do homework and my mind would just wander off. How teachers passed me because when they talked to me they knew I understood the material, but I couldn't do the work. And then I started to read about the different symptoms of adult ADD and my frustration, temper, patience and impulsive spending were all part of it.

So I brought it up with him on Monday and have started to take Vayvanse, which is marketed more for kids because it's long acting. I can't say I feel a difference since it's my 3rd day and I started at 20mg, and then will switch to 50mg for four days and then go up to 70mg. I won't know how well it works for a while I guess.

I just wonder how many crafters have it since buying, for me anyway is such a part of this hobby. I spent about 12k in 3 months, which my DH could not even grasp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Smile

12k, wow. That's some heavy duty shopping.

To accumulate that much in a short peiod of time would of frazzled my add brain. Where to put it, how to organize, will I be able to find the stuff when I needed to.

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by slasley475View Post

White matter disease is also often another name for Multiple Sclerosis... I have MS and my MRI's always say "white matter disease". I'm treating it with an experimental drug protocol and my MRI's have been stable for 2 years with no progression.
You should see a neurologist and get a second opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 05:43 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Smile

The grandchildren were at my house when I got home from teaching kickboxing,so we had a quick snack, then off for the 30 minute drive to their house. On the way back home while dh drove, I made a list of what I needed to have done within 90 minutes, so I could get to bed before midnight. Without the list, I would of been walking in circles, getting nothing done. I was successful, got a shower, and some sleep, just happy knowing today would be Friday.

And it's PAYDAY!!!! YEAH!!! Seeing my results of two weeks of work.

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the link Kimberly. I just scored an 85! We're in the process of trying to get DS tested for ADHD. Maybe I should look into getting myself tested as well. maybe that's why I don't sleep well (keep going until I'm exhausted), easily irritated and usually pretty grumpy. I wonder if ADHD can aggravate depression b/c I'm either on the move or don't want to do anything with very little in between. If I'm doing something and someone interrupts me then I get frustrated b/c I lose my place. TFS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbydivaView Post
Thanks for the link Kimberly. I just scored an 85! We're in the process of trying to get DS tested for ADHD. Maybe I should look into getting myself tested as well. maybe that's why I don't sleep well (keep going until I'm exhausted), easily irritated and usually pretty grumpy. I wonder if ADHD can aggravate depression b/c I'm either on the move or don't want to do anything with very little in between. If I'm doing something and someone interrupts me then I get frustrated b/c I lose my place. TFS!!
ADHD can DEFINATELY add to or cause depression and insomnia. Plus the frustration is also a problem for me, I hate being asked questions, or interrupted, my fuse is so short.

Also if you think your son has it then chances are good you do to, my Dad had it and now I see my oldest DD exhibiting some signs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 06:39 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMNView Post
Here's an online Adult ADHD quiz: http://psychcentral.com/addquiz.htm
I just took it and scored a 92.

So, I guess I should look into this a bit more.

Kimberly
Thats for the link, my score was 78. I have been wondering if I do have ADHD. My school experiences in the 60's were very similar to StampTaylor. Concentrate, don't fidget, act like a lady. In the end I did manage to conform but have always had trouble finishing a project, clean house, anything that requires focus. I am good at stamping projects most of the time because there is a concrete finished result at the end
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow I scored an 81...are all of us ADD? I have a son who is ADD with Hyperactivity...He is 27 and still exibits many of the symptoms.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Wow I scored an 81...are all of us ADD? I have a son who is ADD with Hyperactivity...He is 27 and still exibits many of the symptoms.
Blessings.
I'm beginning to wonder:confused: I have just gotten back from the library with "The A D D Answer" by Lawlis - it has questionaires and plans of action -

I know that Aspergers (or what it looks like a lot of people in the US call Autism these days) has an inherited trait. And a lot of the "symptoms" are very similar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Smile

So much in the news about autism lately, with some parent's think there is a link with immunizations. The therapy is very expensive.

and I took the quiz, scored 110, which didn't surprise me.

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

I scored an 85 - it wasn't a surprise though, I was diagnosed when I was little. There are definitely still signs that I see in myself and so does my DH but most of my friends think I'm joking when I say I am...lots of years of finding ways to help manage it I guess, I am also a huge list maker, from what we'll eat for the week to what needs done during my kids' nap time...I just have to have it written down or I'm so off task it isn't funny.
When I was teaching though, I found it helped me better help some of the kids I taught who had it, so I bet the same will hold true for if your kids have it too...my kiddos are still very young so I'm not sure they will have it, my nephew does too though
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #24  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Uh oh. I scored 101. :( It would have been higher, except for the question about I'd rather be moving than sitting still. I'm usually sitting on my rear on this forum! But I'm always tapping my fingers or or rocking my feet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPTAYLORView Post
So much in the news about autism lately, with some parent's think there is a link with immunizations. The therapy is very expensive.

and I took the quiz, scored 110, which didn't surprise me.

Patrice
And yet they don't think it is a diet high in colorings and processed, enriched foods with plenty of preservatives... funny that! :lol:

As my dear husband told me once - fix the simple things first (i.e. it takes no money to eliminate colorings etc) then if that doesn't fix it work on the most logical causes... he was talking about fixing a car but I think the same ethos applies in life.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Cool

I am in the health field, an x-ray technician. My pet peeve with parents is they always act like I am an ogre, dispensing radiation on their precious babies, then grab them up and say okay let's head to McDonald's.

They gonna get a lot more harmful stuff at McDonald's than in a carefully exposed x-ray. But try explaining that to any of them. And I am not "dissing" McDonald's, everything in moderation.

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

This is an interesting thread. Thanks for the link to the ADHD quiz, Kimberly. I took it and only scored 18--whew!! I am positive that my DH and DS's are ADHD, though--they have a lot of the symptoms and drive me crazy sometimes. I will have him take the quiz this evening.
Reply With Quote Likes