Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Word by Word - Set of 22

I did it!!!! I got my Word by Word stamp and cut it up to mount each word individually......and I'm not sorry! (heehee). I bought the generic Jenga game* at WalMart for wood blocks - cut some of them in half for the short words, and I did have my husband cut three blocks from scrap wood for the words that were too wide to fit on the other pieces. It is awesome!!!

* The "real" Jenga game has the word "Jenga" on each wood block and I wanted them plain.....hence, the generic set!
Attached Thumbnails
Word by Word - Set of 22-wordbyword.jpg  

Last edited by nonda; 07-19-2005 at 09:48 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 01:59 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

That's awesome! I'd be so scared to cut it though! I'm glad it worked out for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 03:19 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Well that just seals the deal for me! Wow! I'm gonna do this too!

LOVE IT!!! Great job!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 03:23 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm going to cut mine too (when I get it!) I know I would use it so much more as the individual words. And the words are great for cards or scrapbooking. Thanks for the tip on how to get the wood. I'm wondering if you can use them unmounted? Like the TAC stamps where you put them on the acrylic blocks? Any advice on this?

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #5  
Ross' Island Lobster

Another cutter here. Can't wait to get mine in. Thanks for posting a picture!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 03:26 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm thinking of doing the same thing except using cling mount so I can use them on the clear acrylic blocks I have. I think by doing that I can easily stamp on the twill tape. I just can't see myself having occasion to use the whole stamp as it is, but would use the individual words.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 03:26 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool! TFS! I'm using mine as-is, but may get a 2nd one later to cut up. First I'll see how much of a pain it is to ink individual words whn I need them.

Yours turned out great. Very clever way to get the wood too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 04:12 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinOma
I'm thinking of doing the same thing except using cling mount so I can use them on the clear acrylic blocks I have. I think by doing that I can easily stamp on the twill tape. I just can't see myself having occasion to use the whole stamp as it is, but would use the individual words.
I think cutting this stamp is an awesome idea because the individual words would be great for scrapbooking. I have never used the cling mount how does this work? I have seen the clear acrylic blocks at Hobby Lobby but how do you get it to stick to the block?

All children are gifted...some just open their package sooner than others.
Check out my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 04:21 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

For those of us too chicken to cut up any stamp.... why not just ink up the whole stamp, stamp it one or more times and then cut up the paper! This way you can use what you need and save the rest. That is what I'm planning to do. I hope this saves someone the stress of cutting up a stamp. For those of you brave enough to cut, I applaud you! (I'm too anal) Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for posting the photo and giving so many of us hope in our thoughts of doing the same!... I'm looking forward to seeing some work with it whole... and was thinking of inking areas to cut out (but I hate wasting paper... and except with a stamp-a-ma-jig how would you use it straight to something...
although, I used the Alphabits with the stamp-a-ma-jig to form a couple words and it worked great as a small scale, no cut alphabet)
I love the words of this BG so I'll probably do like you, again thanks for showing us its possible!
Laurie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 04:54 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Scrapbookmommy,

Here is a link to the cling mount that I have, but there are other types. This one allows you to stamp a paper image so you have an index image of the stamp. This type is good for unmounted stamps. If you google "cling mount" you will find lots of different brands and some sites have pictures of how to use cling mount on unmounted stamps.

http://www.sierra-enterprises.com/clingthing.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 05:20 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've had mine since Thursday and still haven't decided what to do. Until I decide, I guess I'll keep using it unmounted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 05:22 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

You are so brave . . . mine is still intact, and it wasn't THAT hard to stamp just individual words, but I really like what you have going on there!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 07:44 PM   #14  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default hmmm

I have a couple acrylic blocks from CTMH. How much is the cling stuff? How does that work anyway? I am not a big fan of the acrylic mounted system, BUT maybe in this case, it's the best possible solution. I was not going to order this BG... but maybe I will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 07:48 PM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm leaving mine solid for now because I really want to actually use it as a background. At least for a while.... but I'm seriously thinking of getting a second one and cutting it up -- AFTER I purchase other things on my list.
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 01:11 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I haven't yet purchased this stamp... but for other stamps that I wish to cut up and "remount"... this is what I do.. and it works very well for me.

I purchase an acrylic block (background size)... just for one particular stamp... placing the index on one side (SU! stamps have a clear indexing.. for others I use StazOn before cutting up the stamp)

I then cut up my stamp in whatever way I wish (in this case it would be word by word). I peel off the backing and mount it onto heavy clear upholstery vinyl (purchased at JoAnn's for about $3 per yard.. 72" wide)

I then cut the vinyl even with the rubber on each new "stamp" (in this case each word)

To store my "new set" ... I slightly moisten the vinyl on each image and place it on the backside of my large indexed stamp... exactly where it was originally. I know where to place each image because my indexing shows through the acrylic block. In this way it can still be used as the original background stamp

I have several smaller acrylic blocks... used for temporary mountings... that I use for each image... simply removing the one image from my main background stamp... placing it on one of the smaller blocks... stamping... cleaning... and then returning to the main larger block.

For storage... the vinyl clings very well... but for added safety... to prevent loss of any of the smaller images.. I slip the entire stamping block into a zip bag.

I have done several non-SU! stamps in this way... and really love it... especially when I realize how many stamps I have actually created from one stamp... and the cost now per stamp My most recent 'creation' being a large background stamp containing 26 fishing lures... cost $18 ... now equal to 26 stamps costing about $5 each <insert very big grin here>

Hoping this helps others decide... and get the best possible use from their purchase.

Added note:

This particular vinyl also clings to itself... so if one does not have the smaller acrylic blocks... a piece of vinyl can be wrapped around a wooden block... and that block then used much the same as the acrylic blocks... the difference being you can't see through the block for easy stamping placement on your paper/cardstock.

One can also wrap the original (indexed) wooden block with vinyl (overlap being on the top side)... and 'cling' the images onto that just as if it were an acrylic block... the only difference being that it is much harder to line up the images as they were originally.

Proud to be a Stampin' Up! Demo... and a "Rubber Mutt"

~*~
Click here to Visit My Gallery
HeartPrints Welcome
A

Avatar: Photo taken Dec. 2006 at Wildlife Safari - Winston, OR

Last edited by DancingRain; 07-18-2005 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 01:18 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

[Quoted from previous post"To store my "new set" ... I slightly moisten the vinyl on each image and place it on the backside of my large indexed stamp... exactly where it was originally. I know where to place each image because my indexing shows through the acrylic block. In this way it can still be used as the original background stamp

I have several smaller acrylic blocks... used for temporary mountings... that I use for each image... simply removing the one image from my main background stamp... placing it on one of the smaller blocks... stamping... cleaning... and then returning to the main larger block."]

What a good idea. I never thought of this. I had my dad cut some blocks for me - but they aren't too straight and I still have to sand them down. I might just order a sheet of cling vinyl and do what you did. I already have that large mount and some smaller ones.

Last edited by amahanes; 07-18-2005 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 02:16 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

Awesome idea .. Jenga here I come Love it Love it Love it :O)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 03:21 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

i can see i'll need two of this stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 04:26 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I buy EZ Mount from SundayInt (www.sundayint.com) They seem to have the best prices as they actually manufacture most of the EZ mount being sold in other locations. Also, if you are a demo for any stamping company, they give you an 20 % additional discount. They also have the nicest quality acrylic blocks out there. Seems like I pay 2.70 for an 8x11 sheet, but it's been a while since I bought cause I usually order a bunch at once. I store mine in CD cases. You can just store them in the case Stampin Up sent the stamp in if you want. CD cases are more compact (I'm trying to save on space).

I've tried the vinal cling system and wasn't happy with it but I REALLY LOVE EZ mount. I'm 95% unmounted now. I too plan to cut this one up. And I may get a second for backgrounds (I love backgrounds-- they are my favorite, other than alphabets).

These are really fun separate.
Reply With Quote Likes