Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-27-2006, 07:19 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I am afraid to post cards

We just got a scanner so I could theoretically start a gallery here, right? Is that only for paid members?

Anyway, my problem is that I have many cards that may be partially cased. What I mean is that I see a card and weeks later when making my own card I use that idea to some extent without even remembering where I saw it. I look at many card sites all the time. Then I have a card that in my mind is a card I made but sometime at a later date I am looking through a gallery and think "oh so that is where I must have seen that". In other words while sometimes I intentionally and deliberately case a card, more often than not I end up with a card very similar to another person's card and cannot give credit because I don't know when and where I got the idea that has been in my head for a long time.

I don't want to get yelled at for not giving credit and yet truly, after looking at literally thousands of cards all the time, I cannot remember where my ideas come from. I see a card, like it, do not plan to case it, but weeks or months later I use that very technique, color combo, and maybe even the same stamp set.

Is anyone else afraid to post cards?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:29 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Hello Annabelle. You've nailed it when you describe looking at so many cards and then later your own creation can't help but reflect all the inspiration you see.
If I mostly case a sample then I make a note to credit who inspired me. If I can't remember then I just mention that I was inspired by a fellow SCStamper. It has made keep better notes and when I save a sample to my own file I also note who made it so that if I use the idea later, I'll know who to credit.
Don't let that stop you from sharing. We'd love to see your work. And like you say, by the time you make a card, it really is your own work - just inspired by someone else.
The biggest problem that rankles another stamper is when a stamper posts something they claim as their own or submit to a contest or post on another website and clearly they are directly caseing someone else.
Long point short - share and mention that it was inspired by someone here.
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:41 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Do you have to be a paid member of the site to start a gallery?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Nope, but you should become a paid member. The dirty dozen gallery you get to view when you become a fan club member is awesome!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 08:00 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Don't be afraid to post, perhaps your cards may be somewhat similar to ones you have seen, but it's always fun to see a new interpretation. Someone once mentioned a card of mine as an inspiration and then I was inspired by her additions and tweaking of the idea! It's a compliment to be CASED. I agree if you don't remember who did the original, just put a note in the comments when uploading your card that you were inspired by someone else.

You don't have to be a paid member to have your own gallery, but I did pay because I believe in supporting this wonderful site. A subscription to a card magazine would cost as much, but with so much less to offer than here, so I see it as an incredible bargain.

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Annabelle, don't let the fear of being fussed at keep you from having a gallery. Most of the stampers here are really nice, and the folks who will get their knickers in a knot no matter what just need to be ignored. One lady in particular got flamed by someone she HAD given credit to! :rolleyes:

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 08:25 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I have the same problem, so I'm glad you posted this. I recently did a card using Noble Deer for a masculine card swap. I looked at so many cards in the gallery before I made my card, that I can't remember where I saw my ideas. So, I've hesitated about adding my card to the gallery.

Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 09:48 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL, the gallery would be SUBSTANTIALLY smaller if it was only showing "100% original" work. Everyone gets inspiration from somewhere. Don't worry about it...share away! As long as you are a "registered" user, the playground's open!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

If you're not sure where you say the idea then simply say: "this card was INSPIRED by wonderful samples here on SCS". It's not truly a CASE if you're not copying everything about it. If we're not here to inspire one another then what the heck are we doing on this website?!

Post away my dear!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Please, please start uploading your cards into your own gallery!! It's soooooo much fun to see what everyone else has created!!! And don't worry if you've potentially case'd something - just note the possibility like others have already mentioned.

Don't be afraid. Everyone here is extremely supportive and appreciative of new ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 12:56 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I feel somewhat the same way, I am awed by some of the cards I have seen here, but honestly if I had an original idea I'd probably have a heart attack. I am very good at copying others ideas and making them my own, I don't have orignal designs. I have seen many threads on here where people are very offended if you have copies/cased their card and didn't say it was their's to begin with. I could say my cards were inspired by SCS, but sometimes it is other sites I go to and I would really have a hard time saying which so should I just say that all my cards are inspired by someone else? I am not trying to get into an argument here, but it does seem that if it is copied, it is not always well received. Plus, I use other stamps besides SU and I don't know how well those would be received either (although I do see some from other stamp companies occassionally in the gallery.) Sorry for the hi-jack, but I have been very afraid to start a gallery of my own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Deshacrafts, you said it all VERY well. You voiced it better than I could have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Deshacrafts, you can't go wrong following your gut. If you sit down and literally re-make a specific card you see, say so. Otherwise, if you're emulating a style or color combo or particular way of doing ribbon...it's not a CASE by any means. You know darn well if you really copied or did not. If you did not, then don't sweat it. If anybody gets upset, THEY have a problem, not you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
Anyway, my problem is that I have many cards that may be partially cased. What I mean is that I see a card and weeks later when making my own card I use that idea to some extent without even remembering where I saw it.

I don't want to get yelled at for not giving credit and yet truly, after looking at literally thousands of cards all the time, I cannot remember where my ideas come from.
Is anyone else afraid to post cards?
I'd love to see your creations! I hope you start adding to your gallery. I think most things are "inspired"---Van Gogh made one twisted manic painting and then said, "hey this rocks!" and made 100 more. I have never seen someone yell at anyone for CASE'ing! I think it would a form of flattery. AND they do call the catalog an 'idea' book. I think that's what SCS is all about. Many have shared their expertise and work and many have used those ideas to create their own works of art.

Hope to see your gallery soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up Not Posting Cards

Annabelle,

I too have not posted many cards, I did upload 1 this morning. Anyway, I was afraid of the same thing. So it was great to read your question and everyone's response.

I live in a small town and quit my job, so it makes my heart glad to see so many great replies. Everyone is so supportive and I feel like I'm part of the group. (excuse my spelling...it's been a long day)

Anyway, start posting them. I will be working on uploading more of mine.

And Ladies.....thank you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

OK, I got brave and uploaded 2. They went into my gallery. How do I get them to go onto the main gallery where each new card is shown and also into my gallery at the same time?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:30 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

It will show up in the general gallery, Anabelle...... Welcome to SCS... and welcome to you too, Micki!!

I *heart* My Computer
Because a lot of my best friends live in it!!
Thanks SCS.... for providing a place to cultivate priceless friendships!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
OK, I got brave and uploaded 2. They went into my gallery. How do I get them to go onto the main gallery where each new card is shown and also into my gallery at the same time?
If you upload to the alphabetical stamp set listings, an entry will automatically be made in your member gallery. Thing is, this doesn't work in reverse. If you only put it in your member gallery, the mods have to move it so it shows up in the general listings.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Ladies, go ahead and post creations with non-SU stamps! You will see them in the general gallery on a daily basis, but since they don't go under any of the listed stamp sets, you may not realize how many there are. Most SU addicts I know and many here have other stamp companies in their collections. We love it all and something you do with stamps from other companies can often inspire a use for a SU stamp, too.

Read the General Stamping forum, people here talk about buying things from all sorts of places and mix and match papers, stamps, accessories, etc. The more the merrier!

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 06:59 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I not only got brave, I am now obsessed LOL! To see my cards in this wonderful gallery is a thrill for me. Hubby is never gonna get me off the computer now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 07:09 AM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Come on guys.........get to posting. Case'ing is a way of life around SCS. If you remember who you case give credit, if not don't worry about it. I think most people only give credit if it is almost an exact copy anyways.
Reply With Quote Likes