Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to start? Newbie here...

Hello......I hope I am posting this in the right place. I am totally new and not sure where to start. I have ordered a couple of things....I'm waiting on them to arrive.

This is what I ordered: a paper trimmer, adhesive, double scrubber, spritz cleaner and acrylix block starter set, card stock pack, stamp pad set and a marker set.

I know I'm going to need some more tools, paper watercolor pens, chalk? I'm a little overwhelmed on what I need next or what is the easiest to start with. Any suggestions?

Is there a good website for tools? And any good tutorials for newbies?

Sorry for all the questions. I have looked through the forums and got a lot of good information but most of it is a little advanced for me.

Thanks so much!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Go to Dawn's Stamping Thoughts or K Werner. Each have videos to watch. Also go to Gina K. She has lots and lots of videos on every technique. It's called Stamp TV. She goes from basic to more advanced. I still watch K Werner each week. She has Make a Card Monday and Finally Friday videos. I learned so much here, but I also learned lots from going to monthly Stampin Up workshops. Close to My Heart and The Angel Company also does home parties and probably workshops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Welcome to the stamping/scrapping world! This is a great place for you to start. Everyone is so helpful here. Don't be afraid to ask for advice. Allistamps123 gave some great advice!
Some advice that I wish that I had gotten in the beginning is to try to find your "style" before you go too crazy buying stuff. And don't be over critical of your learning curve, you will learn what you like in time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Dedham, MA just outside Boston where I was born and raised

When I was first starting out I instantly became hooked on Stampin Up because their products are all made to work together....the color "families" all have matching paper, ribbons, markers, inks fun embellishments. It took some of the guess work out of being new to card-making and paper crafting because I could just pick a few of their colors put them together and use one of thier great stamp sets.
This is my second addiction!!!! SCS has a card gallery for every stamp set that Stampin Up has ever made! That's where I spend a lot of my time and gather inspiration. So if I get a new set, I usually will browse it's corresponding gallery to find out how others have used this same set. Truly addictive and fun!
The next best place to be checking often is the daily uploads which you can find a link to on the home page of SCS. This is where you will see lots of different stamping styles and products and you'll see something and say "I've gotta have that"! That's fun!!!
Then I would suggest checking out the challenges (also linked from home pg). There's a different kind of challenge for every day of the week. That is the most fun ever.
There are truly some of the most talented and kind people here in the SCS community!
Navigating may seem overwhelming at first, but please let me know if I can help. I'm certainly no expert but I don't mind questions at all.
Don't forget you can take pictures and upload your creations. Truly, the coolest thing being able to keep an online diary of your works that people can comment on, mark as a favorite and draw their own inspiration from.
Have fun fun fun!!!! Sounds like you have the right tools to get started with so take the plunge! Make something and then get it uploaded to a gallery!!! You will LOVE IT!!!! I PROMISE!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Welcome!! I have crafted all my life, but I recently started stamping and became an SU! demo in July of 09. I have a blog where I post ideas and videos too that you can look at, and I was like you and felt overwhelmed with what to do with all those products!

When I started, I had never attended a workshop, stamping event, or anything! I was really new! I was creating paper crafts before, but adding in stamping was very new.

Mainly my advice is to start with what you have. I thought I had to buy stamp sets that would work for each type of card I would need, get some of all the cardstock, all the ink...yes, I invested a bundle. What happened is that I haven't used all the stamps yet, haven't used all the paper yet, and I am still trying to figure out my style.

I have learned that I need to only buy the embellies, stamp sets, paper, etc. that absolutely speak to me. I will pick out a wish list on one day, wait two days, and then go back through and make a new wish list. By then my ideas may have changed. I mark off and merge the two wish lists into a much smaller order. For example, my occasions mini order was smaller than my Holiday mini order, but I have used EVERYTHING that I bought this time!
Make some cards, tags, gifts with what you have right now. Look on this site for ideas. They even have some stamp sets broken down and you can see hundreds of card ideas using the stamp set you have! Spend time looking at blogs of people who use the same type of products you use.
I also made a friend with a girl who was new like me and we have learned together. She is completely across the country form me, but we email and ask each other about everything!
If you have any questions, please email me! I always have room for another friend!
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I think you've already got the basics. You just need a couple of stamp sets and maybe a pack of patterned paper, but I agree with the above poster, don't buy too much until you know what your style is. Make a few cards and see what you think would make those cards even better. Use that to decide what kinds of embellishments to buy. Don't buy very expensive tools until you know you want to stick with this hobby.
Welcome to the addiction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Thank you ALL soooo much for all the advice, information and ideas! All of this has really helped me. Now I have places to explore on where to start.

I'm trying to restrain myself from buying everything I see and want right now. I have to remind myself it will still be there when I am ready for it and if it is something I really will use.

And thank you for the welcome! I hope to get to know everyone soon and share some of my new creations!!
Reply With Quote Likes