Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to begin?

Hi

I have no idea where my thread fits, so moderators, please feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.

There is a steady stream of designers here. Card designers, concept designers, stamp designers, etc. Many have turned their designs into their own product lines developing successful businesses in the paper crafting world. I have often wondered where does one begin, if they'd like to start their own line, or become a designer for an existing line. I've noticed that many crafters are now "designers" of their very own sets.

I would like to get information on how I could turn my handwriting into sentiment sets to any production company who would be interested in my "style." I cannot draw, but I think I have something to offer by way of my handwriting, and have no idea where to even start. With so many great new stamp companies out there, can someone here please point me in the right direction?

I would appreciate any help you could offer.

Sincerely,
Lisa aka Kamuelamom
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

bump!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, if you want to make your own sentiment clear stamp sets for sale, you can check out http://stewartsuperior.com/html/clear_stamps.html

They manufacture high-quality clear stamps!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2009, 01:08 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you Sophie, pm sent!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2009, 06:44 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

sent you a PM, Lisa!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

If there is a company that you like I would contact them and ask if they would be interested and the how to's! The companies that are here on SCS would be a good place to start. If they aren't interested at the time maybe they would offer you some helpful pointers and hints.

Let us know what you find out and if your style is used!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't draw or have good handwriting but I am helping a young artist friend of mine get started in stamps. The company I contacted wanted art already drawn rather than approaching them for ideas. I don't know if they are all that way though. However, I must caution you. There are so many gorgeous handwriting fonts out there; make sure what you bring to a company is truly unique. they don't even have to pay to use some fonts. Maybe you could turn your handwriting into a font for sale rather than try rubber stamps? If you still want to do stamps, think up some sentiments you would use and email your favourite companies with the set. HTH
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I'm already curious about your handwriting- always on the lookout for unique and fun fonts- you could also try: DoubleXL
and get your handwriting made into a font set to sell wherever you like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Sentiments are always a hard one because almost everyone out there owns a printer and can make their own however; there are lots of people out there who are not able to come up with their own sentiments therefore buying a stamp set of sentiments is well worth it to them. I personally love owning the rubber as I am a collector and rather than having files on my computer I would much prefer to have a tangible item in my hand.

If you prefer to try and sell your sets to stamp companies you need to find out their criteria. For example we like to see our sets made in adobe photoshop or illustrator with the layers still intact. The quality needs to be a minimum of 300ppi/dpi to be made into a stamp.

If you want to produce your own stamps I think that with any business you have to realize that there is plenty of competition right now and with people being able to sell digi images almost anyone can pop up with some sort of a stamp company.

Things that you should consider before beginning is

How much money are you willing to invest? All stamp manufacturers that I have found charge a set up fee and you must place a minimum order. For example Stewart Superior charges a $30 set up fee and they require a minimum order of 12 sheets at $16.42 / sheet. So before you have any packaging or cutting out of the stamps it will cost you $197.04.

What type of rubbber do you want to make your stamps into? There is red rubber and you can get this either vulcanized or lazer engraved. From what I have researched Vulcanized is the way to go. There is clear photopolymer but beware of overseas manufacturers as they will sometimes send you a good sample and then manufacture your sets using silicone. Silicone is terrible stuff to stampers as it is made to repell water so your ink just beads up on the rubber and won't stamp very good images. Chances are if you have had a set that has done this to you it is because it is made from silicone.

What kind of sentiments do you think will sell?

What size of stamp sets do you want to sell? example 4 inches by 6 inches

How much do you want to charge for these stamp sets?

How much of a committment am I willing to make? Making your own stamp sets sounds like a lot of fun but there is so much work behind the process.

How will I package my stamp sets? Some manufacturers will give pricing for packaging as well.

How will I sell my stamps? You can choose to do an online store or sell them on your blog or a site such as ebay. Either way you need to have at least some basic computer smarts to do this.

How will I adveritise my stamps? Word of mouth is great but you do need more in this tough market. There is lots of advertising avenues out there but trust me this ain't cheap. Another way is to sponsor blogs and challenges however any good blog usually has a looooooooonnnnnnngggggg waiting list.

Totally Stampalicious!

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 12-29-2009 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Removed Promotional language
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

This is great info as I was wondering the exact same thing. I am in the process of copyrighting a saying I have and would love to expand beyond the the clothing and make it into crafting supplies as well, so the more info all of you have will only benefitall us not so smart newbies. thank you all..
http://www.tuesdaytreats.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

In splitcoast stampers, I have seen in the Design Team call area, stamp makers looking for artists. Also, on some stamp makers websites or blogs they announce that they are looking for stamp designers. Else you can contact stamp companies directly and ask them if they are looking for stamp designers. Then you find out what they pay, what they are looking for and so forth. You might even be able to post somewhere in splitcoast stampers that you would like to do design work...I don't know which forum that would be in though.

Holley
a new card design everyday! http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Default New Hawaiian Stamp Line

We could use your help with local sentiments! Pm'd you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

You might start by making them digi stamps first!! (that's what I'm doing with my drawings!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

I have been wondering the same thing. I am assuming that it would be cheaper to have digital stamps, it's pretty expensive to have the rubber ones made. I have been thinking about this for a long time. I would love to design some stamps or become a designer or a writer for a company, but not really sure on how to go about it. How much experience do you have to have?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, if you can draw then just draw away!! The only experience you need (if you want to do it all yourself) is to scan your images - clean them up in photoshop - get yourself a verified paypal account - manage a blog with regular updates - and give away lots of freebies!! (that gets ppl in the door!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

I was wondering what does it take to actually become a graphic designer? Does anyone know? Photo Shop does a lot of the work doesn't it? Would I technically need a degree in graphic designing to just make digital stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is slightly off topic to the OP --

I think the process of creating good design is much much harder than most folks realize. While a degree in graphic design is not required to be a terrific stamp or image designer, talent, perseverance, and (often) knowledge in using technology is. And knowledge of graphic design principles wouldn't hurt!

An apple may seem simple, but you have to either know how to draw, with scale, proportion, shading, etc. or know how to use a digital design program like Illustrator, etc.

Obviously sentiments are a bit easier -- but there are so many and where to start and what size and what shape. All make a difference.

I don't say this to damper enthusiasm, but to give credit to all the terrific designers out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by imstampincrazyView Post
I was wondering what does it take to actually become a graphic designer? Does anyone know? Photo Shop does a lot of the work doesn't it? Would I technically need a degree in graphic designing to just make digital stamps?
Goodness No! You don't need a degree! (although it doesn't hurt) But you just need a drawing talent. If you are not computer savy then try designing for another company!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
This is slightly off topic to the OP --

I think the process of creating good design is much much harder than most folks realize. While a degree in graphic design is not required to be a terrific stamp or image designer, talent, perseverance, and (often) knowledge in using technology is. And knowledge of graphic design principles wouldn't hurt!

An apple may seem simple, but you have to either know how to draw, with scale, proportion, shading, etc. or know how to use a digital design program like Illustrator, etc.

Obviously sentiments are a bit easier -- but there are so many and where to start and what size and what shape. All make a difference.

I don't say this to damper enthusiasm, but to give credit to all the terrific designers out there.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by imstampincrazyView Post
A degree, no. Strong skills would definitely be to your advantage, however.

Photoshop (I'm not talking about Photoshop Elements, which is for editing photographs and very minimal graphics work) provides masterful tools, but, you still have to know how to use them, and use them effectively.

Some "self-taught" folks are quite good and talented at Photoshop, and others, well, let's say that they know just enough to be dangerous. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

subbing to come back and check in on when I have time to really "learn" what it takes.
I agree that the designers out there are SO talented and I think they hardly ever get the recognition they deserve!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Subbing, since I have some ideas rolling around in my head...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #23  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Location: At the end of a dead-end dirt road, 45.9484° N, 93.0754° W. Founded as a lumber camp in the 1870s,
Received 515 Likes on 359 Posts

Just wonder if you ever got your "handwriting" wanted1
How exciting!!
Reply With Quote Likes