Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when u make a card do you use colored stock for inside card??

I try to "save" my color so I usually just make a front, then attach to white stock. Sometimes I wait until I need the card and run a sentiment on white stock through the printer, then attach. I use the cuttlebug and a rectangle die to help control the weight of a card (cutting out the middle of the base--not sure if that makes since writing it down) I noticed in the su catalog and they usually use the colored stock for entire card. I find it sometimes difficult to write on... (black, espresso...) and sometimes just too bright (yellows, oranges, teal).

Just wondering what other people do.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost never make the base of my card from white cardstock......too blah for me. I like the color. When I layer, of course I use the whole piece. Otherwise your card wouldn't be flat and might sink in the middle of the card.

For the inside, I always have my message on at least one layer on a very neutral color.....some variation of cream, ecru, winter white, etc. I use a #24 bond paper (linen, laid or silk) for the inside message of my card. The inside message is created on my computer so the print will be readable. No, I wouldn't write on a color of cardstock. I would never handwrite the inside of my card either. I prefer it be neat and readable so I write my message on the computer. Also, my inside message is permanently adhered to the card. My cards are not meant to be recycled and reused.

Most times the envelope is the same color and type of paper as the inside message is printed on. There are exceptions I will use a color envelope if I can closely match it to the card base. Many envelopes I make myself.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

That's a great idea to cut a mat out of your colored layers - I never would have thought of that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #4  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

I almost always use white base.

and when I remember to, I will punch out (or use a nestie) some shapes from the middle of the bottom colored layer

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I use colored c/s for my base (any colored base), I will use a white paper insert. I try to use at least a 22# weight paper but have used a lesser weight when I used recycled paper. I cut the paper to fit within the card base - trim at least 1/4" from the insert paper. I think on any card you make this just makes it more 'finished'. This is just what I try to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I started out using some of the different methods that others have mentioned. Now I've settled on just making card fronts only, and attaching them to a white card base.

I make a lot of cards to send to family and friends, and hardly ever make "one of a kind." When I come up with a design, I make multiples, at least 4 of the same kind. So I can get 4 standard A2 size fronts from one piece of 8-1/2 x 11 colored cardstock, vs only 2 if I folded it and used it as the base.

Occasionally I run the white card base through my printer first and print the sentiment directly on the cardstock. Now that I've accumulated quite a few neat sentiment stamps, I usually stamp the inside sentiment after the card is done.

I have quite a big list of people I send cards to - for no occasion, just a nice surprise in the mailbox they weren't expecting. Many times I get emails and phone calls to say they are appreciated. Especially in these tough times, who wouldn't like to get a nice card instead of another bill?

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I make my card front first and then I'll attach it to either a white base (98% of the time) or another colour if it absolutely doesn't look good on white and most of that time that colour is black. Most of the time I don't put a liner in the white cards since just about any colour will show up on it, but I will put a liner in a darker colour base. I usually use either 28lb or 32lb Domtar First Choice bond paper for my inserts. Its nice heavy, super smooth paper that feels really nice and it writes so smoothly with a pen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

I've done several of these things. Now that I am a Creative Consultant for A Muse Studio, I just use whatever color I want because the reverse of all of our cardstock is ivory or white. I have always used color bases and layered lighter paper for writing, but now I don't have to. It's nice and easy.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
I've done several of these things. Now that I am a Creative Consultant for A Muse Studio, I just use whatever color I want because the reverse of all of our cardstock is ivory or white. I have always used color bases and layered lighter paper for writing, but now I don't have to. It's nice and easy.
this is my approach also (most of the time).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I use A|MUSE cardstock because it's color on one side and white on the other so it's GREAT for cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

i like to use colored cardstock for the whole card, then if its a dark color, its fun to put a layer of white or ivory inside, with a little strip of patterned paper on the bottom. it makes my insides as nice as the outsides. i also like to add some patterned paper to the envelope flap, ala mary fish. im trying to stop hoarding patterned paper

My Blog
http://bethrush.stampinup.net/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
I also do this as well. Our A Muse studio card stock is great for card making.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I use a white/ivory card base. Sometimes if I am in the mood, I will decorate the inside of the card by layering it with colored cardstock or patterned paper. A lot of times when I do use colored cardstock on the inside, it is a piece from the front of the card that I have cut out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am always producing lots of cards so I don't have the time or the materials really to do the inside. I will say that when I have a special family or friend birthday I do put in the extra time and make the inside look nice too.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use printer paper on the inside of every card. I sometimes put a piece of my dp I used (a scrap) on the printer paper. If you look at most professional cards they generally have paper on the inside too. To me this gives it a finished look. Most of the time I stamp something on the bottom right corner of the inside. A lot of companies show their paper on the inside because it ups their sales. I just go by what I like at the time.
Reply With Quote Likes