Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: When do you stamp?
My schedule is flexible, so I'm able stamp when I want. 42 29.79%
Before work. 3 2.13%
After work. 37 26.24%
Whenever I can find a free minute. 57 40.43%
Who has time to stamp? 7 4.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When Do You Stamp?

After being off on a leave of absence for the last couple of months, I have to return to work on Monday to my full-time day job. When I was working before, I had a hard time finding TIME to stamp. I'm curious to see when everyone else finds time to create and post. I realize not everyone works at a "job", but rather has endless work being wives and moms and wearing all the hats that are involved with staying home.
Tell me what YOUR routine is!
TIA for playing along!:-D
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

since most mornings i teach choir at 7:00 am, i most definately do NOT stamp before work.. i get home around 5, chill, eat, then stamp till the wee hours of the morning...

i like weekends too.. it's usually when i catch up on stuff..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #3  

I'm a SAHM, so I stamp when I can, depending on what's going on around here! My kids will craft alongside me. They'll work on a table nearby making cards (an interesting process ...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 02:15 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

I stamp when I can find time and manage to have the inspiration required to be creative. Sometimes (not as much lately), I pre-plan and pre-assemble a specific card of which I make multiples and take the supplies to work to stamp during lunch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

i find i love stamping at 3 am because i don't sleep and that's when i do my best work, the house is quiet i pop my friends dvd's in and a way i go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 02:35 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm one who stamps after I finish up dinner and the dishes, etc. I have the luxury of having a craft room in the basement so I tell dh that I'm going downstairs to do "laundry." He laughs at me and asks if that is REAL laundry or my fun laundry! Typically I'll do both. I seem to totally lose track of time down there . . . but it's my escape from the world and I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

I went for flexible as being the nearest. I work part-time, 3 to 4 mornings a week. Another morning is for blitzing the house, but then the afternoons are mine so long as dinner is on the table for DH when he gets home. The one time I don't craft is before work - that's when I take DH's laptop to bed and catch up on blogs and forums and the gallery, as he gets up earlier than me.
Perhaps if my craft-room weren't in the attic and consequently cold in the mornings, it might be more enticing. But even in our last house, where I used the dining-room, I don't think I did much in the mornings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I work fulltime 8-4 pm and I stamp every evening and on weekends. Saturdays are MY stamping days in my house unless we really have something that we have to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 02:57 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Lately its only when I am in need of a card. I feel guilty if I just sit and stamp all Saturday, why I dont know because I play a scrabble game online at night. So what the difference is I have no clue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 03:31 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
I'm a SAHM, so I stamp when I can, depending on what's going on around here! My kids will craft alongside me. They'll work on a table nearby making cards (an interesting process ...)
Amen Sista! You are giving your kids a great gift and you may not realize it, they will take time to make art and build confidencte too in the process, if you wait til the kids go to bed to craft they miss out on a bonding experience too! I keep an envelope of images to color (like the house mouse ones) in an envelope with my watercolor crayons and a plending pen and when my kids get set to color I color my images too. I'm sure to stamp a few extra HM images for them too cuz the love that mouse!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 03:45 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I am an early, early riser! SoI stamp first thing in the morining with my coffee and my morning news---Around 6 am, I come out of my room and the kids are waking up---get ready for school and work and that is usually it for the day of stamping. Sometimes, when I first get home from work---around 2 pm, I will stamp until the kids get home, but usually there is too much stuff to do around the house to do that! I don't get a full day of stamping ever!
To do that I have to schedule something at my house and then I can stamp with my friends all day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 03:47 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I have a hit + miss kind of schedule for crafting. I work 8-5 a little over 30 min from home. Then the supper + laundrey - my youngest 2 grands (and their mother) live with us and when I get home they want all my time. I try for Sat afternoons when I can. Just keep plugging away and someday.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 04:46 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have a couple of mornings off every week so sometimes I can stamp a little before I got to work (after I go to the gym and run errands that is). Mainly I stamp at night after work though, while watching tv. I recently started dating someone so that has cut into my stamping time, haha. I feel bad sitting locked away in my little stamp room while he and the doggie are out watching the tv in the living room:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I am a SAHM so I do the cleaning/laundry and get the kids feed and sent off to school first thing in the morning then my 4yr old and I go into the craftroom and I make cards or cruise the computer and she colors or she will go to her room and play, so my hours are flexible and it is really nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Default when i stamp

i personally try to take any time i can.. with my daycare adventures monday-friday and working weekends it doesn't leave much "me time" most days. not to mention the house work and common everyday stuff to be done... if i can even find a hr in a day (usually if kids are napping or late at night) i'm happy! my mistake was thinking i could stamp with the daycare kids here by just set up a kiddy table nope they had everything every wheres lol. DH doesn't care for papercraft much so i'm a little limited with the time for it, but I truly enjoy it, as long as i have food ready (pressure cooker or slowcooker) i can usually squeeze an extra little bit of time. TFL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 AM   #16  
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Wow I'm impressed. I'm a stamp when I can kind of person. My weekends are chopped with hockey (ds's) so I do what I can. I'm always amazed that there are people who can frequently sit and stamp/scrap?
What about the mess? Hauling everything out to work on things and then putting it all back?
pj
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 06:24 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa fosterView Post
After being off on a leave of absence for the last couple of months, I have to return to work on Monday to my full-time day job. When I was working before, I had a hard time finding TIME to stamp. I'm curious to see when everyone else finds time to create and post. I realize not everyone works at a "job", but rather has endless work being wives and moms and wearing all the hats that are involved with staying home.
Tell me what YOUR routine is!
TIA for playing along!:-D
I work fulltime plusoutside the home. I've always had a hard time finding time to be the artist I want to be.

In the last three years, I've made alot of changes so I can fit it in. For example, I scheduled alot of artistic time outside the house, so I didn't feel obligated to make dinner (or dust, vacuum, etc.). It helped my family start to "do" for themselves. It took a lot of strength on my part to step over messes and ask the mess maker to clean it up. I'm a perfectionist, so it was hard to not want to redo when someone else's attempt didn't meet my standard (and what teenager is ever going to meet standard unless THEY are perfectionistic too)

Also, when I travel (which used to be alot), I always took art with me so that I didn't spend all my time in the hotel room at night doing nothing but work. Some people read - I stamp, paint, bead, take my art kit with me, etc. (for whatever project I'm working on)

And in the past 8 months, I've REALLY let cleaning take a back seat. I separate cleaning from organized clear space (I try to keep most rooms available for public scrutiny at least clutter free) Mind you, I don't let it get DIRTY without asking for a family pitch in, but I'm not a primary breadwinner AND a servant. LOL.

So, I guess what I'm saying is it might be frustrating for awhile, but you'll start to find ways to work it in the best you can. You'll find the right way for you.

I'm lucky that my husband was single with children (and having them almost 100% during that time) for over 8 years before we hitched. He's REALLY good at balance, but teenagers.... they expect staff .... or something. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 06:44 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I'm really lucky. I have a work schedule that is fabulous for having time to get stuff done. I teach Piano full time, so all of my students are in school themselves. That means that I don't start work until early afternoon every day. This also means I don't finish until 9 most nights, but as it's just my and my fiancee, (and a dog) it's not that big of a deal. I get up with him when he gets ready for work, (i've always been an early riser, so six isn't a big deal) and then I have from 6 until about 2 to do whatever I want. I use that time to do the standard house stuff, although my DF (fiancee) takes care of the cleaning as he's a perfectionist. I go to the gym early in the morning three days a week, and the rest of the time is split between art and piano. I'm gearing up for some piano exams, so that's 'cutting into' my stamp time, but I love to do both, so it's not a big deal. I don't stamp on the weekends usually because that's the only time we have to spend together, so that becomes priority.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 06:45 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I usually stamp on weekends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bekah1964View Post

Also, when I travel (which used to be alot), I always took art with me so that I didn't spend all my time in the hotel room at night doing nothing but work. Some people read - I stamp, paint, bead, take my art kit with me, etc. (for whatever project I'm working on)
I'm interested in what kind of "bag you pack" for portable stamping. I'm thinking lunchtime at work would be a good time to get some stamping time in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

pj my craft room is always a mess... lol but with routine i find i can get more accomplished i make sure all glues and inks get put away right after use. so no dried out messes...which is a no brainer to most. my unfinished projects ect. go in paper keepers if it's longer then a day before getting back in my room I post it note to let me know what i was doing so it's all kept together this once you get use to it make it easy and less time consuming i find. as far as scraps i have a scrap paper box that i throw stuff in as i work i sort scraps every once and a bit( once a month i try)even if i don't get the whole box sorted. doesn't take more the about 10-15 minutes now to put my products away which before took forever and the mess was crazy bad!! that's how i find it helps me i'm sure you have your ways too... and as before routine helped me stay organized lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubykateView Post
I'm interested in what kind of "bag you pack" for portable stamping. I'm thinking lunchtime at work would be a good time to get some stamping time in.
I found a large paper mache briefcase (it measures about 17 x 12 x 4). I decorated the outside. Inside, I created a kit to begin with based on stuff I enjoy using:

- small inexpensive acrylic paint tubes
- pigment ink cubes
- a few stamps, polymer and unmounted with a block...and a couple mounted
- alphabet stampset (polymer)
- stickers, rubons
- ribbon - 1 yd each of about 5 types (coordinates with my papers)
- scissors, 1/8 inch punch
- small paper cutter (fiskars)
- glue stick
- peerless water colors and a brush with water reservoir
- a few markers (brush and detail)
- white gel pen
- glue stick (and I found these small individual white glue pens at Joanne's a couple years ago...they are great - about the size of a pencil and each one lasts awhile)
- brads and other embellishments (also buttons and chipboard)
- coordinated cardstock and neutrals - solids, design papers, etc. Usually, I try to pick a scheme that is neutral or based on the stamps I pick. I usually have a few full sized sheets, but most of them are cut in various sizes for cards or slighly larger if I'm working on 5 x 7 or 8 x 8 stuff.

- diecuts - I usually try to have some various sized rounds, squares, scallops in a baggie.

I usually restock whatever I use on a regular basis...sometimes I pull everything out and redo a new colorscheme or with a project (xmas cards, etc....jewelry stuff).

Also, besides travel - I take it EVERYWHERE...doctor appointments, etc - anywhere I think I might have to wait.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #23  

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiejenView Post
Wow I'm impressed. I'm a stamp when I can kind of person. My weekends are chopped with hockey (ds's) so I do what I can. I'm always amazed that there are people who can frequently sit and stamp/scrap?
What about the mess? Hauling everything out to work on things and then putting it all back?
pj
I have an area where everything is ready at my fingertips, so there's nothing to pull out or put away. Makes it easy to come and go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiejenView Post
pj
I too have my own craft room, but I really try hard to pick up and put everything away (in it's spot) before I quit stamping. (mostly because my cat is a THIEF!!! She takes and hides everthing from Nestabilities to stamp pads...and sponge daubers? Forget it...I'll never see those again!:rolleyes:

BTW...I'm lovin' reading all of your posts! TY:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #25  

Received 846 Likes on 279 Posts

I don't work out of the house so I have a lot more flexibility than most. I'm usually checking my email, visiting blogs, etc in the morning while the kids get ready for (they are all self sufficient so I just oversee things) and go off to school. Then I'll take care of some of the chores that need to be dealt with and if I feel like it I'll go to my stampin studio to be creative. I think i do my best stuff at night though-go figure since it's generally the busiest time of my day since I have to cook dinner, make sure the kiddos get their homework done, pick one kid up from the after school program, another one from percussion practice twice a week. Run my college kid back n forth to classes a couple days a week (she was a driver in a bad accident last fall and as of december has her license suspended for 12 months) :-(
i'm trying to "train" myself to get more daytime mojo though so that I can stamp in peace.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #26  

Received 1,385 Likes on 517 Posts

I'm a SAHM to a second grader, kindergardner (half-day), and 3 year old so I stamp just about whenever I want. I have a dedicated craft table in our family room with an old kitchen table and chairs next to it. My kids are free to use my supplies at that old table so many times we work together. At the very least, they are playing dolls in the family room as I craft.

I don't usually craft daily, though. I'm a strange bird in that I like to clean and cook. I like to volunteer for the girls' school. I like to do "church stuff". I like to play board games and build puzzles with the girls, or play Wii, or read books, or just hang out and talk with my husband. I'm HUGE HUGE HUGE on family time. The five of us hang out together all the time and our extended families live nearby, too. Crafting is low on my priority list, but I do enjoy it (I'm playing along with VSN this weekend and I can't wait!!!!!!!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I'm a domestic goddess, so I have a lot of time on my hands. I stamp whenever I feel like it. I used to work 3 days a week and I would try to spend one of my off days cleaning, shopping, errand running, etc., so I could spend my other off week day stamping as long as possible. I usually don't stamp during the week after DH gets home from work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

I stamp a few evenings after work. DH leaves for his job at 6:30pm and then I put DS to bed at 7:30pm. I usually stamp for about an hour.

I do most of my stamping on the weekends. DS plays on the computer, DH watches TV and I sit at the end of the dining room table and craft away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

I have the luxury of being able to stamp at my leisure these days. Before I was laid off, I worked a full time job outside our home. I LIVED for weekends when I could "get in my room and play". I'd spend as little time as possible doing household chores so I could create. It really got to the point that I resented having a job. :rolleyes: Hence, being laid off was a relief for me. It's just me and DH at home as our DD is out on her own, so my time is mine all day during the week. Since I'm a "golf widow", the weekends have always been that way. For the past two months, I've been trying to "develop a routine" for my days and I love it. I do miss the social aspect of being in an office environment, but that's about it. Well, that and the paycheck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

I work full time, but I usually craft at night while I watch TV. If we don't have weekend plans, then I'll craft then too. I don't have kiddos yet, so it's still just me and hubby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I selected 2 options because it allowed me to do so. I work full-time. Outside of work my schedule is flexible because I am single and have no children. So my time is mostly my own outside of helping out at church and spending time with family and friends.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

I have been a crafter for years. When my daughters were small, I was a SAHM and have used almost every room in my house as a "craft room" over the years. I work full time now. Two years ago I purchased a building just for crafting. My DH helped me finish the inside, build a closet and 1/2 bath. I love it!!!! I have different areas designated for certain crafts (stamping, jewelry making, sewing, etc). I have a TV and telephone out there so I really don't need much else. When I get tired of crafting, I can just turn off the lights, shut the door and go back into the house. I waited a long time for my "dream room" but I thoroughly enjoy it now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #33  

Default great idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftthedayawayView Post
pj my craft room is always a mess... lol but with routine i find i can get more accomplished i make sure all glues and inks get put away right after use. so no dried out messes...which is a no brainer to most. my unfinished projects ect. go in paper keepers if it's longer then a day before getting back in my room I post it note to let me know what i was doing so it's all kept together this once you get use to it make it easy and less time consuming i find. as far as scraps i have a scrap paper box that i throw stuff in as i work i sort scraps every once and a bit( once a month i try)even if i don't get the whole box sorted. doesn't take more the about 10-15 minutes now to put my products away which before took forever and the mess was crazy bad!! that's how i find it helps me i'm sure you have your ways too... and as before routine helped me stay organized lol
I do some of this but not all of it. I do have a box set aside that has one project in it and I find this useful. I just spent the entire week sorting and purging my craftwares. It felt so good to get rid of things. I definitely need a routine.
PJ
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #34  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs_hawkinsView Post
I'm a domestic goddess, so I have a lot of time on my hands. I stamp whenever I feel like it. I used to work 3 days a week and I would try to spend one of my off days cleaning, shopping, errand running, etc., so I could spend my other off week day stamping as long as possible. I usually don't stamp during the week after DH gets home from work.
Just a little jealous here, and....you live in Florida...
PJ:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I stamp when I find time. I am a SAHM, and usually it takes me a while to get just one card finished. I stamp and color in one step, later on I work on assembling the card, and then later I embellish. That said, I have several projects started but then later on had a new idea and started something new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #36  
Vintage Vixen

I voted that my schedule was flexible, because it really is! I am self-employed and admit that I will sometimes stamp during work hours if I am in immediate need of a card. Shhhhhh...don't tell my boss; she's a real hag. :mrgreen:

Also, I'm single, I don't have any kids or pets, and I live by myself 6 months out of the year (the other 6 months my parents are here). So yep, I have a lot of choices with my free time!

But usually I stamp in the evenings or on the weekends, because I am a slow cardmaker and need lots of time to create.
Reply With Quote Likes