Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #41
Matboard Maniac

Great thread! I have always been artsy fartsy. I went to Kansas City Art Institute. I have dabbled in a lot of things, but I knew that I didn't want to be a painter or sculptor. I always loved coloring and even bought books for grownups to color (Mostly flowers). I had to have foot surgery about 5 years ago and a friend took me and my wheelchair to an advanced stamping club, where I live. It was exchange day and I loved what I saw. I had been making cards on the computer previously. Well, I started stamping with very little and very soon found Addicted to Rubber Stamps. I started buying and have never stopped! My friends in the club are amazed at my progress, since I started. I'm not even sure why they let me in an advanced club, but they must have known that I would blossom. I probably spend more time on the computer, looking for ideas than I actually stamping, but I am totally addicted and have just about everything I need (but want more) to start my own store. I started in my BR and my husband artist, let me share half of his studio. Now it is our studio and I still don't have enough room for all of my stuff! I am a cancer patient and I really love to go into the studio and concentrate on my cards. It really helps to keep my mind off of my health issues.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #42
Kookie Creator

I grew up with a passion for art and writing. I always felt something was missing. Sometimes I still do. Growing up I did latch hook kits, cross stitch, and a lot of doodling. My dad let me design my own bedroom. I picked out bright purple carpet, ceiling tiles, track lighting... all stuff we had nowhere else in the house. Anyway, I ended up plastering the walls with collage. The whole room was wall to wall paper images! I started working at Michaels in 2002 and quickly got turned onto beading. I haven't touched it in a long time though. It wasn't until 2007 that I went to a new store and a lot of the women at that location did cards. I started and haven't stopped since. I still dabble in a lot of things, but the cardmaking is my favorite. Its never intimidating. I can complete a card or two on my days off and it never feels like work or "why did I get myself into this?" Cute thread.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #43
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobarb26 View Post
I always loved coloring and even bought books for grownups to color (Mostly flowers).
oh ya coloring is AWESOME!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #44
Crimping Master

I have always loved arts and crafts---from coloring as a young child (every Christmas I knew I would get a new box of Crayons), to cutting out pictures on greeting cards to make gift cards and wrapping paper, to embroidery and quilting, to decoupage, macrame, tole painting, sewing all my clothes and kids clothes, to scrapbooks for my kids (nothing like the scrapbooks of today), to crocheting and knitting etc, etc, etc. One day a group of gals at work invited me to stamp with them after school. I had seen some of the stamps and projects, and while they were really cute, it did not appeal to me at all. However, the gals were wonderful and I went to be nice and spend time with them. We stamped some solid posy-like flowers and leaves all over a card front and then one gal stamped a greeting over the top in gold pigment ink, dumped on the gold embossing powder and let me use her husband's paint removing gun to heat the embossing. As soon as I saw the embossing rise and form into the letters I was in awe and totally hooked. Another gal who had tried the stamping route decided she didn't like it (I know, can you believe it?) and gave me about 5 stamps and a green and a brown ink pad. I used old construction paper, the few stamps and 2 ink pads I had a made a couple cards on my own, having the time of my life. Even though my efforts weren't that great, I got kudos from all and I was in heaven. Just the smell of embossing powder got me excited---it still does! I started my collection of stamps, inks, paper etc. from mostly SU and Dots (CTMH now) plus a few I could find at a local craft store. Over the past 13 or so years I have found my style, make cards for all the relatives and friends for birthdays, anniversaries and holidays and have even enabled a few to join the ranks. No other craft has so grabbed me and held me as stamping has and it is what I dream of at night and pursue every day that I can. SCS has added greatly to my enjoyment by putting me in contact with wonderful sharing, helpful and knowledgable stampers all over the world. I will never live long enough to try all the techniques and make all the cards I have ideas for---but I'm going to try!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #45
Glitter Queen

What a wornderful thread.

I discovered both stamps and heat embossing in 97 when I stumbled across a tiny stamp store in an arcade on Sydney's Pitt Street Mall. I created home made Bonbons for our Christmas table. Don't know what they're called in the US; Christmas Crackers I suppose. I filled them with Jelly Belly jellybeans for the kids or delicious Baci chocolates for the adults. I even research good jokes to put inside. The adults had perfume and mini lipsticks for the girls and mini Maglight torches for the guys.

Anyway, after that Christmas I put the supplies away and kind of forgot about them. In 2006 a girlfriend asked me to a SU party. I knew it was about stamps as I had received gorgeous cards from my friend which I really loved. I didn't go though. Our family was struggling financially at the time and I didn't have the luxury of spending money on non-essentials. But deep down I knew that I might like stamping.

I have always loved art. I draw using inks, pastels and pencils. I dabble in water colours and my family's houses sport my various artistic periods on their walls. I was a arty-farty kid and dabbled in embroidery, hobbytex, ceramics, jewelry making (lost-wax casting of silver) and costume jewelry. I have enjoyed creating graceful interiors in the many homes I have lived in during my 30 years of marriage.

With all of that, I never discovered the love of carding until about 2008 when I relented and attended my first SU party. OMG! I felt like the proverbial ostrich with its head in the sand. I was hooked. I started with a basic kit (SU sold starter kits in those days) and since then I have become a self-funded hobby demo myself.

I love the quality of SU, but I also have a weakness for all paper as well. I love SCS, and its galleries and forums. I love the instant gratification of cardmaking as well. I love the fact that you can give the same supplies to 10 carders and each and every card made, will be beautiful and unique.

I remain in awe of the imagination and talent on display in the SCS galleries. And I spend many evenings just researching SCS, YouTube, Pinterest etc. for ideas and inspiration.

This is me. I am a card maker and lover of all paper craft. I love the sisterhood and sense of belonging I gain from spending time with people who love stamping, carding and craft as much as I do. And I love reading how other's have discovered the world of stamping and papercraft as well.

Last edited by Put_H_B4_the_G; 02-22-2013 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 02-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #46
Glitter Queen

Several years ago my then college student daughter took a rubber stamping class. I could see that was a craft that was WAY too involved, both time and money wise, than I wanted to invest. Well, low and behold, a few years later I got sucked in (insert huge slurping noise here). It has been my therapy during rough times, my chance to cheer some else when they are down, make specific occasion cards and for the last several years to work with a group that donates cards to our state penitentiary for the inmates to send to family and friends. After lots of other hobbies, this has been the one I have stuck with the longest and enjoyed the most.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #47
Proud Fan Club Member

I grew up with a crafty grandma who taught me how to knit, crochet, sew, make good dirt for worms (for fishing), garden (although I never quite caught on to that one) and all sorts of other stuff. I loved going to her house because I knew we would do something fun. She also had a huge collection of National Geographic and Reader's Digest magazines so when she was pooped I would get to spend time on the porch reading!

I took up embroidery in my teens (never was really good at it) but several people asked me to embroider on their jeans and jean jackets when I was in high school.

When I got married I started cross stitching and loved it! Framed several pieces which are now in a box somewhere since they don't go with my style now.

Then in 1999 (when my kids were in high school) I was invited to a CM crop...I resisted for months til we came back from Disney World! That did it-I had a huge stack of pictures and didn't feel like doing the same old thing with them...ala magnetic photo books.

The next week I was invited once again to a CM crop and from there it's history! I haven't really picked up cross stitch since that night in 1999...though all my stash still lives in my scrap room with me

I took up card making in 2002 when I worked at a local scrapbook store. Lots of fun!!

Now I can hardly scrap because I love card making. Oh but I have so many pictures to scrap!!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #48
Rubber Obsessor

I found a great rubber stamp of a boy sitting on a dragon's arm while in Boston in the 80's. It got me hooked. I used to embroider, sew, etc, I haven't looked back.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #49
Matboard Maniac

I got started almost 29 years ago (back when stamping wasn't cool). We didn't have a local craft store, let alone a stamp store. My 7 month old nephew came to live with me when my sister was stationed in Korea (for 13 months). I went on a business trip to Sacramento and found a store in old town and found a set of Suzy Zoo stamps. I bought them for my nephew - and when I'd write to his mom, he'd "stamp". He was so much more creative than I was. I remember he took a stamp of a "clump" of grass that we had. Whenever I used it, I stamped in once, and stamped a flower in the middle of it and that was it. I watched him once and he was stamping it over and over and I thought - wow, he's making a mess. Nope, he made a hill and stamped Simba on top. It really did look like a grassy hill. I never would have thought to do it. Each time I went to Sacramento, I bought him more stamps and I began playing with them. By the time my sister returned to the US, we had quite a collection. Alas, my nephew had to so home (which ended up to be NC and I'm in CA), so I had to send his stamps home with him. And I had to buy all new ones for myself (and bought quite a few of the ones that he had initially because I needed them - lol. And I've been stamping ever since! My nephew has continue to be creative and artistic, and is so much more talented than I. His use of color, blending, and everything else, surpasses anything I could ever do.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #50
Polyshrink Goddess

I discovered stamping via making art quilts. I began to discover inks and stamps to incorporate onto fabric. One stamp lead to another - - - one ink pad lead to watersoluble crayons - - - mixed media led to experimenting on paper - - - more paper, more stamps, more inks. And here I am.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #51
Rubber Obsessor

I retired in Sept. 1999 and by December I was telling my family that I wanted stamps for Christmas. It was all Dee Gruenig's fault. I had started watching her on Carol Duvall's show and she was having so much fun that I was hooked. I met her a few years ago and got to share my story with her.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #52
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampindoll View Post
I retired in Sept. 1999 and by December I was telling my family that I wanted stamps for Christmas. It was all Dee Gruenig's fault. I had started watching her on Carol Duvall's show and she was having so much fun that I was hooked. I met her a few years ago and got to share my story with her.
I LOVE DEE GRUENIG! In my shared story I wrote I have been stamping since I was a young girl. I didn't know anything about stamping communities, books, or magazines. I didn't even know about Stampin Up. I just made up my own techniques, bought pretty stamps and did my own things.

I think it's been about five years I discovered Dee Gruenig. She completely changed the way I stamped. She is just it for me. I also discovered Stampin Up, SCS, & an online stamping world. I do really think Dee Gruenig started it for me.

I will admit when I did start becoming social online in the stamping communities I felt my stamping was all wrong. Now, I just do my own thing, lol. Dee Gruenig did get me started on brush markers. I know everyone loves their Copics but I just love my brush markers & I blame Dee, lol.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #53
Glitter Queen

Like so many others here, I've always had some kind of craft on the go - started at 12 with knitting and sewing, then, over the years added in crochet, embroidering, and counted cross-stitch. So, when I was first invited to an SU workshop, I said no - didn't really need another hobby! Well, my SIL kept after me to come, so I finally went - met 2 awesome demos, and have been hooked ever since! I now have to fight for craft-time... I still knit and occasionally crochet, but quit all the other things; I added quilting - so my craft room is my stamping space and the dining room is my quilting space! Card-making is WAY less expensive than quilting (but not as warm!), but it's a relatively quick and easy way to warm someone's heart!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #54
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairierosestamper View Post
Several years ago my then college student daughter took a rubber stamping class. I could see that was a craft that was WAY too involved, both time and money wise, than I wanted to invest. Well, low and behold, a few years later I got sucked in (insert huge slurping noise here). It has been my therapy during rough times, my chance to cheer some else when they are down, make specific occasion cards and for the last several years to work with a group that donates cards to our state penitentiary for the inmates to send to family and friends. After lots of other hobbies, this has been the one I have stuck with the longest and enjoyed the most.
you nailed it...therapy...encouragement...I will have to ck with the local jails (which due to overcrowding...so unfortunate) have people in for longer than a few months about donating cards