Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your favorite way to mount unmounted stamps?

There are so many different ways to mount unmounted stamps!

EZMount, Aleene's Tack It Over & Over, double-sided tape, Zig 2 Way Glue Pen, Tack n Peel, glue stick, ... I'm sure there's more...

What's your favorite?

Stamp Revolution

http://stamprevolution.com

More stamps for more people!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampRevView Post
There are so many different ways to mount unmounted stamps!

EZMount, Aleene's Tack It Over & Over, double-sided tape, Zig 2 Way Glue Pen, Tack n Peel, glue stick, ... I'm sure there's more...

What's your favorite?
Can't pick one! If money and time were no object, I'd go with EZ Mount for all of them. But that gets expensive, and the time invested in pulling mounted stamps off their cushion first . . . ugh.

Here's my system: If it's a stamp that was previously mounted and came off the wood with cushion intact (or a new SU! set that's still on sticky cushion), I use either Tack It Over or Mono Multi repositionable glue (these both work ok even if the cushion is still sticky).

If it's bare rubber and not too thin, I try it with poster tape to see if it stamps ok with no cushion. If it does, it also gets the repositionable glue treatment, right on the bare rubber.

If the rubber seems thin or if the stamp seems to need cushion after I've tried it, then it gets EZ Mount.

I only use the double sided (poster) tape if it's a new stamp that I just have to use immediately and I haven't given it "the treatment" yet. Tack-N-Peel I haven't tried, mostly because I store my stamps on laminated cards in storage boxes and for my system to work, the stamps need to stick the the laminated card. Tack-N-Peel puts the cling on the blocks instead, so you'd have to store your stamps in baggies and I didn't care for that idea.

One method I tried and didn't like at all was vinyl cling. It seemed like a great idea for SU! - type stamps; just stick it on the cushion and use the vinyl to make it cling to the acrylic block. In practice, I didn't feel the stamps stuck to the blocks very well, so I undid those and went back to the glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I use EZ mount for all of my stamps, I like having the cushion feel when using my stamps. I know that it can cost more than some of the other methods but for me I don't mind paying extra for the comfort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

I use ez mount for my unmounted rubber stamps. Iwas thinking of trying tack 'n peel this spring, but I could never decide how I would store the unmounted stamps then in an organized way that I liked. In the end, I ended up mounting the stamps and putting them on the Sunday International boards for storage like I always have because I never found another storage solution that I liked better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

It depends on how much I will use it, and the quality of the stamp. Deeply etched stamps I am happy to use TIOO, especially if they are for occasional usage, but all of my Serendipity Stamps and StarvingAristStamps I have left with TIOO. Less deeply etched stamps, EZ Mount every time. Double sided tape - not at all, and glue sticks only in an emergency when I don't have anything else. I have a few See-D's sets, mostly ones that were passed on to me. These were meant to be sticky, but after you've used them a few times the sticky comes off, so any I think I will get much use from go on EZ Mount - Christmas sentiments, mostly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use TIO&O on all my rubber stamps. Its fast and cheap and works really well. I have stamps that I put the TIO&O on over 2 years ago and they're still sticking to my blocks. I will also use temporary dry adhesive when I'm in a hurry and want to use the stamp right away and haven't put the TIO&O on yet. What I like about TIO&O is that it can go on top of all the other adhesives left on the rubber. If the stamp comes off with the foam intact, I'll leave the foam on and put TIO&O on the foam. I use a foam pad under my paper when I stamp, so that eliminates the need of foam attached directly to each stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

EZ Mount here too.

I tried the vinyl cling, like Cheryl, and didn't like it at all. They don't stick worth diddly.

I tried TIO&O and don't like that either. I have stamps that the sticky stuck so well to the block that when I try to remove the stamp a chunk of the foam tears out. They also leave glue residue on the laminated cards I use for storage.

I have to admit that I am thinking of trying the TackNPeel for my large background stamps. I have a goodly number of them and 1) the expense of using EZMount on them is going to be substantial, and 2) if I use EZMount then I won't be able to get all those big backgrounds in one drawer for my storage. I might use double stick tape on my laminated cards that I store them on.

HTH
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stamps are on EZ Mount. Like others have mentioned, I wanted the cling to be on the stamps, not the block, for storage reasons. There is some investment in converting to EZ Mount, but I purchased pretty large amounts at a time in order to get good prices and free shipping, so it wasn't so bad.

I store nearly all stamps in CD cases. I found that I don't care for binders because they get really thick and heavy and I'd rather not have to haul them around the room and sit with them on my lap (or try to find a spot on the table large enough to place them!) In addition, I already had a nice large CD rack unused in the garage that I was able to repurpose for stamp storage.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I've not done it yet but I'll be going the TIO&O route. It's the only product I can find here at Michael's in Canada. I'm not willing to order online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

Wow ~ *LOVE* all the detail! Y'all are awesome!

And Chris, I love the Einstein quote! I'm so telling that to my son when he wakes up in the morning...

Stamp Revolution

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

WEll--the first thing I do with my unmounted rubber stamps is size them to a wood mount, than put the rubber on EZ mount and stick it to the wood. Then I seal the wood and then I ink the rubber and have fun......
The only unmounteds I have are a set of Alphabet from CTMH and a western set I haven't been able to find in any other form.

In other words......I LOVE MY WOOD>>>>>

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I unmounted some SU sets a few years ago using cling vinyl and have been disappointed with how well they cling to my blocks and the CD/DVD cases I store them in. I love EZMount for the occasional bare rubber stamp, but I really liked the idea of leaving the original foam intact and just adding cling. I'm lazy (and cheap) like that. Maybe TIOO would be the answer for these.

For those that use TIOO, do you find it collects debris?

There always seems to be a bit of paper dust, ribbon fiber, glitter, or cat hair floating around my craft table and I'm concerned it could turn into a giant mess on the back of my unmounted stamps.

Last edited by criminalgrace; 06-17-2010 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: fixing formatting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=fionna51;16868556]EZ Mount here too.

I tried the vinyl cling, like Cheryl, and didn't like it at all. They don't stick worth diddly.

I tried TIO&O and don't like that either. I have stamps that the sticky stuck so well to the block that when I try to remove the stamp a chunk of the foam tears out. They also leave glue residue on the laminated cards I use for storage.

I have to admit that I am thinking of trying the TackNPeel for my large background stamps. I have a goodly number of them and 1) the expense of using EZMount on them is going to be substantial, and 2) if I use EZMount then I won't be able to get all those big backgrounds in one drawer for my storage. I might use double stick tape on my laminated cards that I store them on.

hey, maybe you need to ask this guy where he bought his roll......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LDDW...eature=related
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I use poster tape right on my clear plastic mounts to use with either bare or red sponge mounted rubber stamps. (clear stamps will stick to the plastic mount without any adhesive) If it's a really large clear plastic mount, I'll use maybe 2 or 3 strips (with spaces between each one). I keep the protective strip for storing the mounts and keeping them relatively clean. When the stamps won't stick any more, I replace the strips with new ones. For me this seems less expensive than putting adhesive on every stamp. JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

[QUOTE=not2shabbydesigns;16873355]
Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
hey, maybe you need to ask this guy where he bought his roll......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LDDW...eature=related
Dang! That is one monster roll of EZ Mount! Holy cow!

Stamp Revolution

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used ez mount and remounted about 90 sets. I then stamped a label for one side of cd and then put glossy paper to stick the stamps to in the cases. I read here that if you stick them to cd cases it causes the mount to stop sticking. Lots of work I know but I did it over a few months.

Had I to do it again, I'd have take them off the wood, attach the sticker on the wood to the back of the sticky foam part, and used Aleen's tioao (if it did not stick to block). Then I'd just label the top part of cd case. Hope this made sense.

Tried rubber only and some cheap thin mount but only like the image with a thick foam, either original or ez mount.

Glad I did this as I am stamping way more now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #17  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by criminalgraceView Post
I unmounted some SU sets a few years ago using cling vinyl and have been disappointed with how well they cling to my blocks and the CD/DVD cases I store them in. I love EZMount for the occasional bare rubber stamp, but I really liked the idea of leaving the original foam intact and just adding cling. I'm lazy (and cheap) like that. Maybe TIOO would be the answer for these.

For those that use TIOO, do you find it collects debris?

There always seems to be a bit of paper dust, ribbon fiber, glitter, or cat hair floating around my craft table and I'm concerned it could turn into a giant mess on the back of my unmounted stamps.

No, surprisingly no gunk seems to collect. and I'm a MESSY stamper!!! It's just not a problem. It's 'tacky' but not sticky, if that makes sense, more like a post it note. So, I do the sticker to foam then tioao and it's fabuous! The stamps cling inside the new cases and I can see what I'm stamping when I put it on my block. Then I peel the stamp off and stick it back into the case. VOILA!

I vote for TIOAO over the STICKERS stuck onto the foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:41 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

TIO&O for me, on bare rubber. I originally left the foam on, which for most stamps was still sticky enough that I didn't need to add any TIO&O, but to conserve space I decided to go all the way down to bare rubber. (With foam attached, I could only use one side of a cd case for storage due to the thickness; with bare rubber, I can fit twice as many stamps in one case.) One thing with the TIO&O, you need to be sure to use a very thin layer, let it dry for a few hours, then "de-stick" it a little on the back of your hand, an old dishtowel, jeans, etc. Otherwise you'll find that it sticks a little too well, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's bare rubber, I just stick it on an acrylic block that has a perpetual strip of double-stick tape. I'm too lazy to do anything else, like actually mount it on EZmount or whatever. I prefer my unmounted stamps to be EZmounted, but not to the point where I'll actually make myself do all that work (mounting them on EZmount). So I guess my favourite way is EZmount, but the only stamps I have like that are the ones that came like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I choose to use Ez-mount foam with my unmounted Rubber stamps.

Plus most of my stamp that I buy come with a sheet of ez-mount foam.

Storing these stamps is easy too. I use the White Plastic Storage boards Which my stamps will cling to.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

I used to be all about the EZmount, but I wanted a more economical way to unmount my stamps. I have been using the TIOO and I love it! To prevent it from being too sticky I rub it on my jeans a bit to lessen the stickiness a bit. When it comes to my new SU sets that are meant to be wood mount I just stick the sticker that you are supposed to stick on the wood block on the back of the foam, trim around and put on the TIOO.
Stamps that were previously wood mounted I just put in the microwave, peel them off and put on the TIOO.

I store them in the new SU DVD cases, I love them because there is so much room, enough for about 2 sets depending. Also for some reason the foam on some of my stamps is too thick to close the CD cases properly.

I have never tried bare rubber, I don't think I am brave enough for that yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

subbing so I can go back and read all this when I have more time. I am wanting to mount my unmounted stamps - especially the ones from Gina K. I LOVE her stamps but find I never use them because all that mounting and unmounting is just not for me. Not sure where to buy EZ mount - any suggestions? And, what is it? A liquid or solid? Thanks!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Jennifer, EZmount is a solid. It is a sheet of foam that is permanently sticky on one side (for you to attach to bare rubber stamps) and another side that would cling to an acrylic block.

I've never bought any EZmount, so don't really know the best place to buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Aileen's Tack It Over and Over on all mine...No cushion of any kind...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #25  
Inking Addict

I like the EZ mount thin, don't like too much cushion on my stamps. I have tried TIO&O but I think it's too sticky and it does pick up lint etc. I only use it now on very small stamps (like the very punny SU set), too hard to cut the EZ mount that small. That big roll on you-tube looks like a different brand of mounting foam, I don't think EZ mount comes in rolls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

This is fast becoming my favorite way of mounting unmounted stamps. It is cheap, easy to do, and is CLING. Only takes 2 way glue, stazon, paper, and vinyl. See below.

I turned some red rubber stamps into cling stamps today. Still working on technique. got main idea from someone on SC. (sorry senior moment keeps me from remembering name or where I put it) Anyway, I tried her technique and couldn't get it to work SO I did this and it did work. I took scotch tape and made it double sided tape. Stuck it on acylic block ant then put rubber stamp on top of it. I then stamped image on regular typing paper, but I'm going to try card stock next time. Next, I spread (using my finger) 2 way glue on top of image. Next I laid a piece of vinyl on time of image smoothing it out so there were no wrinkles. Then I turned backside of red rubber and covered it with 2 way glue. then I put the vinyl image I had made on top of that. Let dry. Trim excess material away from stamp.I now have a cling stamp. Trick is this. Get the vinyl from a fabric store. They sell it by the yard and it is 60 inches wide. Much cheaper than buying cling mount. BE SURE TO PIENCH THE VINYL TO SEE IF IT STICKS. The lady that came up with this idea suggest grade 8, but I'm getting ready to use a grade 4 because the lady at the fabric store told me they could barely unstick it if they got it off the tissue paper. I have been using Alieen's tAck it over and over BUT if you lay a stamp down the wrong way , it will stick to whatever you put it on and will ruin the stamp. Cling doesn't have that problem. As for storage, you can use C D cases, or stamping up cling cases.The SC ones you can put stamps on both sides. I won't do all my stamps this way, but special ones I will. Hope this helps.
sam

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2010, 01:38 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Tack it over and over
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2010, 03:16 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

wow i can't believe in all these responses no one uses tack n peel. i LOVE it. i have been using it for quite some time. basically i am cheap, lazy and impatient! when i get a stamp i want it bare rubber (cheap) and i want to use it the instant it hits my doorstep! since i have blocks in 3 sizes already with tack n peel on them i don't have to do anything to my stamps. if i tried to buy ez mount for all of the stamps i have i would have to max out all my credit cards - not an option. not to mention i HATED cutting it - such a mess! now i just trim the bare rubber - faster and easier.

i just went back on my blog to find the link for my tack n peel tutorial nd i did it back in oct 2008! so that means my tack n peel hs been on my block for over 1 1/2 years! it is still perfectly working tho it IS beginning to get somewhat less transparent than when it was new. however buying it ONCE in 1 1/2 years - can't beat that money saver!! since the info was so long ago i decided to re-post it on my blog along with the two videos i have done on tack n peel.

tack n peel info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm thinking about converting my wood mounted Awash with flowers set to EZ mount (THIN).
Does anyone have an opinion about the best way to do this. Should I leave the original foam on & stick it to my thin mount or should I peel off the foam & stick bare rubber on thin EZ mount?
Reply With Quote Likes