Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #81
Embossing Fanatic

I can never get this to work: use Tim Holtz's ink applicator (with the handle) and felt, squeeze three colors of ink on it and dab on paper, acetate, or metal washers. It always ends up muddy. I've seen such pretty metal washer pendants and I just can't get it to work. I tried doing colored leaves on acetate, and it was just ugly!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #82
Rubber Obsessor

I love the chalkboard look that is so popular right now but I just can't do it. I've watched a bunch of tutorials on YouTube and read almost every blog I could. I figured with all the different ways to do this, one of them should work for me...but alas, I'm a complete failure at this technique.

Everything is fine and looks good up until the time I do the second stamping to get that shadow effect. Once I do that, it's a total mess. I mean it looks like I tried to stamp without my glasses. Everything's a big blur.

I'm determined to at least get a somewhat decent result using this technique so I guess I just have to keep practicing. Wish me luck and maybe it's about time I got my eyes checked.

erin
Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #83
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by efromhawaii View Post
I love the chalkboard look that is so popular right now but I just can't do it. I've watched a bunch of tutorials on YouTube and read almost every blog I could. I figured with all the different ways to do this, one of them should work for me...but alas, I'm a complete failure at this technique.

Everything is fine and looks good up until the time I do the second stamping to get that shadow effect. Once I do that, it's a total mess. I mean it looks like I tried to stamp without my glasses. Everything's a big blur.

I'm determined to at least get a somewhat decent result using this technique so I guess I just have to keep practicing. Wish me luck and maybe it's about time I got my eyes checked.

erin
Not so much for the chalkboard, but for other techniques calling for that type of shadow (as in the tutorial here Splitcoaststampers - Tutorials ) I found that with most images the shadow should only be offset by the barest fraction, or, as you say, it makes me eyes feel fuzzy. I found using a stamp-positioner and reviewing how it looked with the acetate before I stamped helped me get the best position.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #84
Die Cut Diva

Re: the reinker technique - I've don't know anything about it, but it sounds similar to something Tim Holtz does, where he uses a piece of cut n dry felt to make a stamp pad.

Here's the link in case you don't know about it:

How to Make a Cut-N-Dry Custom Stamp Pad

This looks pretty easy to do. He uses a very detailed stamp, but you could easily use a much more simple image.

RachelRose Designs by Robin... GALLERY
Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #85
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie718 View Post
I can never get this to work: use Tim Holtz's ink applicator (with the handle) and felt, squeeze three colors of ink on it and dab on paper, acetate, or metal washers. It always ends up muddy. I've seen such pretty metal washer pendants and I just can't get it to work. I tried doing colored leaves on acetate, and it was just ugly!
If you're using reinkers, it probably won't work well. You have to use alcohol ink. I use this technique to make bg paper all the time, and love it!! You always have to use glossy paper (not the photo paper) with this technique. And you really need Ranger's alcohol solution. You can get it at Michael's. HTH
Old 01-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #86
Stazon Splitcoast

Should work with dye re-inkers - Splitcoaststampers - Baby Wipe Technique Tutorial by Beate Johns
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #87
Embossing Fanatic

Rachelrose, that cut and dry stamp pad technique is cool. Thanks for the suggestion. My problem is using the reinker on the felt on the tool with the handle. Thanks for the ideas on the reinker technique, Paula and RiverIsis. I do use Tim's distress inks and I have used some alcohol ink bottles. Should I not be using the distress reinkers? I've used his blending solution as he shows in his videos. I'm not sure I've always used glossy paper, so I'll make sure I'm using that. Any tips for doing this on acetate or metal?
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #88
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie718 View Post
Rachelrose, that cut and dry stamp pad technique is cool. Thanks for the suggestion. My problem is using the reinker on the felt on the tool with the handle. Thanks for the ideas on the reinker technique, Paula and RiverIsis. I do use Tim's distress inks and I have used some alcohol ink bottles. Should I not be using the distress reinkers? I've used his blending solution as he shows in his videos. I'm not sure I've always used glossy paper , so I'll make sure I'm using that. Any tips for doing this on acetate or metal?
Glossy paper is a must for the technique to work properly.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #89
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy LeDonne View Post
..... Also I have trouble with any card that requires lots of measuring and cutting, so most of my cards are simple A-6 cards.......
Ohhh, I am NOT alone after all. Not that I want others to have the same trouble as me of course. I just don't understand why I find it so difficult when I find accounting a breeze and can work out long and difficult maths problems but can't measure, cut and fold up a silly piece of cardstock

My Gallery My Blog

Sometimes the smallest things take the most room in your heart - Piglet
Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #90
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie1974 View Post
As of this evening, I apparently do NOT know how to use a plain and simple die. It's a large pattern, but it will only cut certain portions of the design, and less and less of this with each pass through the machine. I am trying to resist the urge to toss the useless die AND the die-cutting machine into the more-than-plentiful snow outside. On days like this, I have NO idea why I like and spend a fortune on this hobby.
Are your cutting plates starting to bend as they naturally will if you continue to cut on one side only? Try flipping them over and cutting with the other side facing the blade, which will flatten out the plate and hopefully cut more evenly. HTH!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #91
Compulsive Stamper

I just got around to reading this thread. Must say, it made my day! I'm not the only one who goofs up! Thanks for sharing all of your experiences...and "failures." It's good to know we can just keep trying.