Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts
Default What's the deal with SU's...

...sign up for $25 deal?

Maybe this has been discussed already and I missed it (I did a search, but didn't find anything), but I have seen this in a couple emails and on a couple blogs and I'm curious. Is this the same thing as joining for $99, minus the put-it-together-yourself kit? Are you essentially signing up to have access to SU content online and the ability to order stuff yourself with a discount if you sell a certain amount of stuff each quarter? Sort of like an "official" hobby-demo?

This sounds like something I might want to do, but I'm not 100% clear on the benefits and expectations that come with it. Can anyone fill me in or point me to something from SU with the details?

TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Nichole, I see it more as a "I want to make a business but have a lot already" sort of offer. But, honestly, it can be anything you want to make of it.

Sign up, get a business going and take off from there. Or sign up and never do another thing. But I'm not sure why you'd want to do that when all you are getting above what you are paying is up to $1.95. So, like I said, it seems to me to be more for someone who wants to make a business of it.

I thought I remembered another discussion on this topic but it may have been in the demo forums.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's more geared towards the "hobby" demo, since it's such a low starting price. Then you have until the end of March (April, if you go into pending) to get all of your product at a discount, plus access to SU! demo things, sneak peeks, etc.

There's really no down side to doing it, even short term, if you buy SU product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone send me info about where to take advantage of this deal? I don't see it listed anywhere on the SU site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #5  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyn11View Post
Can someone send me info about where to take advantage of this deal? I don't see it listed anywhere on the SU site.
Contact your demo.
Or go to the SU! site, use the demo locator to find a demonstrator near you.
Or however you choose a demo.

Then go to their website, click 'Join the Fun' ... follow the directions, pay with credit card, you're in.

You will need to choose between $25 and $26.95 in product. There is a link to a pdf in the signup process. (since it varies by country - we have different prices)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #6  

t can work for a hobby demo or a business oriented person. Just like the regular kit.
Perfect for somebody who was a demo and wants to come back.

There are additional perks for having your first qualifying workshop within 30 days.

It's a great way to get a business started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #7  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I'm interested but I'd just be buying for myself all of the time. Is it possible to maintain your demo status if you are just buying for yourself?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
I'm interested but I'd just be buying for myself all of the time. Is it possible to maintain your demo status if you are just buying for yourself?
It's possible as long as you spend the minimum required. I've been doing it for 6 or 7 years. You have to buy $300 per quarter of product, but then you get the 20% off. Keep in mind that doesn't include shipping and tax. For me, with a 7% tax rate, on $300 worth of product per quarter, it costs me about $290 out of pocket. Of course, you'd get hostess dollars, preorders, etc along with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

If you would join during this $25 promotion, you would have until the end of March to spend the $300 min. If you didn't you would go into pending for April and dropped May 1 if you hadn't made it yet. During that time is Sale a bration so lots more free stuff and the new spring catalog will be out with pre-order for demos in December. So lots of things to spend your money on.

You can drop at any time with no obligation to give anything back. Some hobby demos sign up just to get what they want and drop. Then they re-sign up whenever they are ready again.

I am a hobby demo and haven't had a problem making my mins. I usually try to not go over the 300 in a quarter to spread out my purchases over the 3 quarters. Sometimes I go into pending on purpose to have a bigger amount to spend the next quarter thus more hostess benefits.

I love your don't drink and derive. One time I was going in for some very minor surgery but nervous just the same. They had given me something in the IV but to keep my mind off of being nervous my DH had me doing derivatives and integration in my head. I had the hardest time even with simple things.

Last edited by kilroy; 10-09-2013 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #10  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MhewettView Post
It's possible as long as you spend the minimum required. I've been doing it for 6 or 7 years. You have to buy $300 per quarter of product, but then you get the 20% off. Keep in mind that doesn't include shipping and tax. For me, with a 7% tax rate, on $300 worth of product per quarter, it costs me about $290 out of pocket. Of course, you'd get hostess dollars, preorders, etc along with it.
Perfect explanation - I get it now. Thanks so much. I think I have about a week left to make up my mind. I love SU products, so I don't think the $300 quarterly would be difficult to meet

And I appreciate that you 'did the math' - also very helpful !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #11  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilroyView Post
If you would join during this $25 promotion, you would have until the end of March to spend the $300 min. If you didn't you would go into pending for April and dropped May 1 if you hadn't made it yet. During that time is Sale a bration so lots more free stuff and the new spring catalog will be out with pre-order for demos in December. So lots of things to spend your money on.

You can drop at any time with no obligation to give anything back. Some hobby demos sign up just to get what they want and drop. Then they re-sign up whenever they are ready again.

I am a hobby demo and haven't had a problem making my mins. I usually try to not go over the 300 in a quarter to spread out my purchases over the 3 quarters. Sometimes I go into pending on purpose to have a bigger amount to spend the next quarter thus more hostess benefits.

I love your don't drink and derive. One time I was going in for some very minor surgery but nervous just the same. They had given me something in the IV but to keep my mind off of being nervous my DH had me doing derivatives and integration in my head. I had the hardest time even with simple things.
Incredible detail and important stuff to know when making this decision - thanks very much for your help.

And as for the derivations, what a great DH you have to keep you from getting nervous - that nervousness is the worst IMO. You doing derivations after the IV must have been something to behold
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am thinking about this also. I have loved SU stamps since 1998. I have contacted an SU demo near my town.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #13  

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a customer who already spends that much, so I presented it to her as a win-win and she took it.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 01:32 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

TOD, I did not get a notice. Congrats on adding Joan. Did you realize that she's already ordered her minimum? WTG!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I would like to add, that the regular $99 Starter Kit contains stuff for $125 (that would be about 20% off) - the actual kit comes for $25, receiving stuff for $26,95 (that would be only about 7% off)! So you spend less to join, but you don't receive the same percantage on free items!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I just rejoined. I was a demo years ago, and was my own best customer. I did run one stamp club, though. I feel this was a great opportunity for me because I have so much product already. The major perk for me was the 30% discount in the first 45 days. I don't know how long I will stick with it, but I will enjoy every minute of it while I'm in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #17  

And don't forget that October has added hostess benefits with a $250 order!!! (extra $25 in hostess dollars) So if you place your first order for $250 you get the extra hostess benefits AND 30% off that order (if placed in October!). And that counts towards you $300 mins!!!!! It really is a good deal!!!! I have had several ladies interested in joining, one that signed already! Never before has a promotion gotten my ladies this excited!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #18  

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkiemonstermomView Post
And don't forget that October has added hostess benefits with a $250 order!!! (extra $25 in hostess dollars) So if you place your first order for $250 you get the extra hostess benefits AND 30% off that order (if placed in October!). And that counts towards you $300 mins!!!!! It really is a good deal!!!! I have had several ladies interested in joining, one that signed already! Never before has a promotion gotten my ladies this excited!!!!
Just to add ... if you do place your first order over $150 within 30 days (like, in October as above), then you get a special First Workshop Perk - a free stamp set from the catalogue in December. (your choice of set).

It's kind of like Extreme Couponing, Stampin' Up! Edition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

I am seriously considering joining as a "hobby demo," since it seems like a great deal. Is my upline going to be upset that I start buying from myself instead of her? I know there is some commission from downlines, but not as much as direct sales, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #20  

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeegal85View Post
I am seriously considering joining as a "hobby demo," since it seems like a great deal. Is my upline going to be upset that I start buying from myself instead of her? I know there is some commission from downlines, but not as much as direct sales, right?
It depends on your demo/future upline. Talk to her about it before you sign up.

I believe that she should be happy for you! Yes, she will get less income, but her team gets larger. And ultimately, we should be doing what is best for our customers and team members.

So, if it were me, I wouldn't be upset. It's happened to me many times, and I'm still a demo. And I end up with great team members.

If she is upset, you may to consider how that will affect your working relationship as part of the team!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

This is me as well. I joined because I was basically spending the minimums on my own. I mainly order just myself but I do have an occasional customer so you never know. And I've had occasional classes. I'm trying to work the business more now since I quit my extremely busy/stressful full time job. It's really kind of nice because you can pretty much do what you want with it depending on where you are in life! It's not easy to make a living out of it but it's nice to be able to make a little cash here and there or at least pay for your hobby...mostly, ha!

And since there isn't any penalty for dropping there's really no downside with either starter kit! The only thing you lose is your lifetime sales which is why I'm trying to stay in while I'm unemployed, ha!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I took the plunge and joined this afternoon. I'm hoping to make a business out of this new adventure. Wish me luck.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #23  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgolbyView Post
I took the plunge and joined this afternoon. I'm hoping to make a business out of this new adventure. Wish me luck.....
Welcome to the SU family!
Click on 'Join a Group' on the left to get access to the demo forums here. You'll find lots of help there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

there are a few perks that demos receive and/or have access to that are not mentioned in this thread, so I thought I'd add them in case some folks are not aware of them:
  • Bi-Monthly Stampin' Success Magazine (Oct/Dec/Feb/Apr/June/August)
  • Pre-order every catalog (see the catalog first and get to buy first)
  • Incentives to earn product for free
  • Access to a private demo-only website (Stampin' Connection)
  • Access to a private demo-only area on splitcoast (this was mentioned above...)
  • Some uplines provide access to demo-only events that ROCK!

And the cool thing is, you get all of this automatically through the end of April if you sign up anytime between now and December 31, 2013.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for letting me know about a SU only demo message board. Look forward to joining.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #26  

See you on the other side!!!! Congrats~!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #27  
Inking Addict

So I joined yesterday, and received my welcome to Stampin Up phone call this afternoon. They told me about all the promotions in October, but didn't tell me any of the minimums. So, is this correct?

1) Spend $150 in the first 45 days, get 30% off
or
2) Spend $250 in October, get 30% off, $25 extra hostess dollars ($40 regular, plus $25 extra=$65), and a free stamp set from the December/January catalog?

This could be trouble...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

So I joined yesterday, and received my welcome to Stampin Up phone call this afternoon. They told me about all the promotions in October, but didn't tell me any of the minimums. So, is this correct?

1) Spend $150 in the first 45 days, get 30% off
or
2) Spend $250 in October, get 30% off, $25 extra hostess dollars ($40 regular, plus $25 extra=$65), and a free stamp set from the December/January catalog?

This could be trouble...
Close! Actually the stamp set goes with the first part! If you submit $150 in the first 30 days you're a demonstrator (not necessarily in October as you could join anytime during this promotion October 7-21), you will get to choose a free stamp set with your first Demonstrator Order in December (so you have to place a Demo Order in Dec to get it, just so you know).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

This is a tricky one. Totally depends on your demo and what her goals are. When I was a hobby demo, I was thrilled whenever someone joined my team because I was buying my own minimums anyway. But now that SU! is my full-time job, I'd be happier to keep you as a customer because I earn 20% versus the 4.5% of your sales I get if you're in my downline. (That's where I'm at with my level in the company, she could get anywhere from 2% to 6.5% from your sales depending on where she's at title wise.) I'm just trying to be honest here, so I hope no one gets upset with me.

That said, if someone wanted to sign up on my team, I'm not going to say no and tell them that I make more money off of them as a customer! Out of my downlines, more than half are hobby demos and I love them just the same as I love my business builders! That said, this is a FANTASTIC opportunity to start a business for very little! I know you aren't getting as much free as with the $99 kit, but instead of you spending your money in a kit that doesn't go towards your sales and quarterly minimum, you can purchase a few things, get your 20% off and have it go towards your minimum. If the normal kit is 20% extra anyway (someone did that math above), it really works out to be about the same as far as what you're getting for your money. The main difference is free shipping on $125 worth of product versus $26.95 worth of product.

No matter why or how you're joining, we're thrilled to have you in our family!!! I have been with SU! for over 5 years now and I LOVE it so much! I can't imagine my life without my stamping BFFs that I never would've met if I hadn't attended Conventions and Leaderships and taken a chance on random roomies. Make sure you get into the Demo Only Forum here at Splitcoast, as well as the Stampin' Up! one (Stampin' Connection)! We are so, so happy to have you as a part of the incredible SU! family!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

I also meant to say, in answer to the original question...SU! is doing this because it is their 25th anniversary so that's what's up with the $25 deal! You'd think in 2 other posts I could've covered that, but we all know I'm long winded!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #31  

Personally, while I understand that a demo might be missing out on revenue by a good customer becoming a demo-downline, BUT....as demos, we are supposed to do what is best for the customer, AND that also challenges us to go out and find new customers! Expand the circle! Find new people that haven't stamped before! That's the challenge. I am thrilled when a person joins my team, whether they are a customer first or not. I challenge myself to be a leader and a teacher and reach out to more people!
Congrats to all that have signed up!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #32  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamping me.View Post
I would like to add, that the regular $99 Starter Kit contains stuff for $125 (that would be about 20% off) - the actual kit comes for $25, receiving stuff for $26,95 (that would be only about 7% off)! So you spend less to join, but you don't receive the same percantage on free items!
Someone pointed out a couple of other advantages...like that that $74 you don't spend on the kit, could now go toward your first Quarter. Also your first order (within 45 days) gets 30% off, so you can make up some that way. Then if you have a WS in the first 30 days (over $150) you earn a free stamp set, AND if you can pull off your own WS before the end of October and it's over $250, you can earn $25 EXTRA hostess dollars to spend.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #33  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post
TOD, I did not get a notice. Congrats on adding Joan. Did you realize that she's already ordered her minimum? WTG!
Doesn't surprise me.....she's enthusiastic! ;)
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #34  

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkiemonstermomView Post
Personally, while I understand that a demo might be missing out on revenue by a good customer becoming a demo-downline, BUT....as demos, we are supposed to do what is best for the customer, AND that also challenges us to go out and find new customers! Expand the circle! Find new people that haven't stamped before! That's the challenge. I am thrilled when a person joins my team, whether they are a customer first or not. I challenge myself to be a leader and a teacher and reach out to more people!
Congrats to all that have signed up!!!!
My lady who joined had been buying at a Hobby Demo rate, and I was getting all the $$ for very little work, as she was ordering from me online and in one year only came to 2 WS's. I felt guilty taking her money and suggested she join. I couldn't get upset with anyone doing what's right for themselves.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #35  

Exactly Diane. And I totally get loosing the income but in the long run, signing up new demos makes my team stronger and spreads the joy!!!! And being an upline is a great honor!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I probably shouldn't have posted at all, as I knew what I said would be misunderstood or misinterpreted. It isn't that I don't think it is an honor to be an upline or that I don't take that seriously. But I also don't think of myself as taking someone's money because they purchase SU! from me. This is my full-time job and I work hard to provide my customers with great projects at workshops and classes, as well as maintaining my blog, my own newsletters, YouTube videos, etc. I'm not ashamed to say that I believe that I can make a living with this business and for being honest about that. I believed in it strongly enough that I quit my full-time job as a high school math teacher to pursue my dream of a job I LOVE teaching creativity and mentoring others who want to do the same. That said, I'm off because I've spent way too long dwelling on how to respond to these messages to convey my heart to people who only know me through a computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2013, 04:18 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

How will I know when my request to join the Demo side has been accepted?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgolbyView Post
How will I know when my request to join the Demo side has been accepted?
It's been too long since I joined for me to go from memory. You may receive a message from the moderators. If not, you will know for sure when you click on forums and at the top you see a whole section you've never seen before - that is where all of the demo-only forums are.

Happy Saturday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2013, 05:03 AM   #39  
Inking Addict

Sarah - I, for one, appreciate your brutal honestly. That was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, not the politically correct one. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Also, how do the mods verify demo status? Or is it on good faith?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Also, how do the mods verify demo status? Or is it on good faith?
It is not on good faith to join - you have to send them a screen shot of something only demos have access to... again, it's been a while since I've joined so I don't remember the detail, but it is in the instructions when you request to join the forum.

It is on good faith that a demo ask to be released from the group when the demo drops.
Reply With Quote Likes