Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #41
Matboard Maniac

Jo Bear - THANK YOU for sharing that link. I N C R E D I B L E !!! WOW! Georgeous.
I know what you mean about glitter glue - anything with glitter in it... I cut a bunch of snowflakes from glitter cardstock one day, and when I met up with my husband for lunch that day, he kept saying, "You have glitter in/on your..." . Now if he sees glitter on my face ( how does it get there, anyway!) he assumes I have been crafting. Interesting that you don't like brayering because it's messy - that's how I feel about watercolors! But I am inept with a paintbrush. Keep on, Jo Bear! <3

Kaufeestamper - you have been at it for 10 years, and you prefer the clean and simple... I think it's interesting that with as much experience as you probably have (I am assuming here) that you have stayed with the clean and simple. I think there is definitely something to be said for including white space in the designing of cards. heck, in the design of many things! Good for you for staying true to what you like.

JoyceL - Isn't dp fun? Sometimes I just want it to speak rather than a stamp. But it's nice to have on hand (I have a *slight* hoard of it at present) to brighten up a card or to emphasize a color or a feeling. Sounds like you stay true to your CAS as well. I have to go and check everyone out in the gallery now...

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #42
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I try to be fancy for my Stamp Clubs. But they know that I can only get too crazy. They know me well and know that my style is for the busy mom or lady who doesn't have a lot of time. I honestly tell them that if they want a lot of techniques and layers that I'm probably not the demo for them. I think they appreciate that. After so many years of trying to be like everyone else, I had to be true to myself and do stamping the way I enjoy it...or I would have burnt out by now. Great post here!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #43
Matboard Maniac

Westie2 - I know what you mean, sometimes I see stuff in the gallery and think, "really cool, but it's not going to come from my desk!". Seems like there are a lot of CAS stampers here, but if you start looking closely, you'll find that we all have a different idea of CAS. Different levels, maybe, of what is clean or simple. Love that we can enjoy and be inspired by everyone's take on something.

Krysiad - Another digi stamper! As I said earlier (I think), I have never done that before. Something else to check out when I am casting around for something new to learn. So you are a Steampunk/Victorian person... what about it drew you in? I genuinely want to know. I always feel like it's cluttered or something (when I do it). Or, as someone else already said, embellishments threw up on my card. I like the look when it's well done, I'm just not that person.

One4Joy - I, too, am enjoying the responses! Your response in particular is well written and beautifully crafted. Not random at all. Spoken, I suspect, from the heart. I know some of the challenges have spoken to me in a certain way, and I have enjoyed the process of making those cards.

Again, I need to go and check everyone out in the gallery. I just wanted to be sure I had responded to those of you who responded to the initial question. Take care!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #44
Matboard Maniac

Kaufeestamper - I see! That makes sense. Being true to yourself makes it both easier and more enjoyable. And the fact that you are honest with your customers is really great. I suspect most of the folks who come to stamp clubs are really looking for that snazzy but fairly easy and direct card making experience. At least, that's what I have experienced with the ones I have attended. It's about making the cards but also about the community with the ladies, too.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #45
Mississippi McGyver

I would say that everyday I am finding out more and more about my style and who God created me to be. I go with things that make me happy. Trying to make my card look like anyone else's card doesn't make me happy it only makes me dissatisfied by the comparisons. (But a color combo, new technique, layout, or some embellishment that I see on another card can be great inspiration.) I agree with Sabrina about the challenges and the new techniques. I will try some challenges and some techniques and say "Wow, I like how that looked and I will file that idea away for another day." and others I will do and say, "Wow, that is so not me and I am never, ever going to use this again." By doing this my "style" has changed over the several years that I have been at SCS.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #46
Mississippi McGyver

I have one more thing to add. If you see a style or technique that you like on someone's card, PM them and ask them about it. I have never had someone not want to talk about their style or techniques. SCS is such a friendly place to learn. For example, I really liked how collage styled cards looked. I looked at how, Susan, One4Joy, did her cards. I asked her about how she did her cards. I never copied any of her cards or tried to be like her, but I learned from her. Now I love making collage styled cards that reflect me.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #47
Matboard Maniac

MariLynn, what a terrific idea to PM folks to ask them about their cards. Never thought of that, but you are right, this is such a friendly place to learn and grow.
"I go with things that make me happy"
Maybe that should apply to more than just cardmaking... What a wise thing to say.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #48
Glitter Guru

I didn't have a word for my style then yesterday it came to me -- Old School. I use background stamps, wheels, heat embossing, brads & eyelets and lots of other things that are "out." I don't do pretty or cute; I do functional and slightly edgy with lots of inky techniques using pigment inks.
Mary Beth
Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #49
Matboard Maniac

Lutheran - Your ink technique is gorgeous! I just peeked at your gallery and am duly impressed with your "Old School" style. I think it is very up to date without using all the new stuff. I still love to do heat embossing - I have a bazillion embossing powders I bought from two local ladies who make them in their garage! Do you really think that those methods and embellishments are out, or do they just crowded in with all the new "in" stuff?
Take care...

Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #50
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufeestamper View Post
Well, I try to be fancy for my Stamp Clubs. But they know that I can only get too crazy. They know me well and know that my style is for the busy mom or lady who doesn't have a lot of time. I honestly tell them that if they want a lot of techniques and layers that I'm probably not the demo for them. I think they appreciate that. After so many years of trying to be like everyone else, I had to be true to myself and do stamping the way I enjoy it...or I would have burnt out by now. Great post here!
I will make my latest case for the 10-year demo doing clean and simple.

Jamie's Stamping Cafe: Five Dollar Friday ~ V-Day Style!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #51
Pearl-ExPert

I would describe my cards as clean lines with well matched papers. I am somewhere in the middle of CAS and heavily embellished--very middle of the road in terms of layers. I love to use die cuts and stamps together. Love this thread!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #52
Pearl-ExPert

Great question that I really have never thought about. I don't know that I have a particular style. A lot of times I will build my card around a gorgeous designer paper. I do love layers, lots of embellishments and ribbon.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #53
Matboard Maniac

PedalPower - Love those scottie dogs! Die cuts are wonderful, aren't they? They sure add a lot of fun to cardmaking. Glad you are enjoying the thread, it's been pretty fascinating for me!

Tinkerbell1958 - I must collect designer paper for just that same reason... first when I began scrapping, now for alternate card themes. You seem to have an eye for the right embellishments - love that wedding card!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #54
Proud Fan Club Member

I've really enjoyed reading all of the responses in your fun thread, Shyla.

Like you, I prefer to keep things simple and most of my challenge cards are very literal translations of the challenge.

My style seems to revolve around things that can be done quickly without much mess or fuss. I don't have a lot of line art stamps because I don't enjoy coloring that much. It takes too much time and my vision isn't as good as it used to be. The one exception to that would be my House-Mouse collection. Those guys are so darn adorable. I will invest an extra 10 minutes to color one of them for a cute card on rare occasion. I seldom do any fussy cutting.

The stamps I love and reach for most often are silhouettes, solid stamps, and layered stamps. They allow me throw on color quickly and give a lot of bang for my bucks with just paper and ink.

I like realism and seldom do cutesy.

By playing the challenges here at SCS through the years, I have learned what my strengths and weaknesses are and have established some wonderful friendships with many talented stampers. So keep playing along! I know you will enjoy the ride!
Devoted Fan Club Member since 2005
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #55
Matboard Maniac

Allee's - Your thoughtful response was lovely, thank you for adding to the thread! It has been a blast to hear/read about the different journeys, the different ideas and styles. I am glad to know I am not the only one who often takes the challenges literally. I really like what you did with the positive-negative cards on your blog. Your layered stamp work is beautiful, and, I suspect, well practiced. I am terrible at layered stamps! I am enjoying the challenges (and am struggling with one at the moment) and learning a lot in the process. Take care...