Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What should I charge my friend for supplies?

I have several friends that come over on occaison to make cards and Create with my Cricut. Each time I have supplied everything including adhesives. I also instruct them. It's a fun day and I enjoy it. This weekend I had 3 of my friends over and they suggested I have "classes" and charge them. (Great girls!) How do I decide what to charge. What is a fair price to put on supplies? Should I charge by the card or something like make 4 cards for
1 price.
I would love to hear everyone thoughts on this.
Bev
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I have a 4 hour workshop weekly and charge $5 each.

This isn't too expensive yet it should cover the few supplies you provide each time. It should even out week to week for both you and your friends. Some weeks you may use more of your supplies than the others.

BTW, I also provide coffee and a light snack, cookies or bars.

HTH,
Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I charge $10 and they get to make 5 cards. Some are simpler than others, so it all kind of pans out. I do all the prep work for them, they just do the stamping, coloring and glueing. I provide everything they need plus drinks and snacks. It's a fun afternoon and I'm not out any money for my supplies. Although, with the amount of adhesive some of them use......you'd think I would be out $$$. LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I would charge per item. I think $2 per card and $3 per page is reasonable. For friends, I think this is better than a flat fee because they are only paying for they use. If you charged a flat fee, you'd have one gal who made three cards and one who made six, they shouldn't have to pay the same amount.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Depends on time too/a 2hr class or 4hr class........

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharileaView Post
I charge $10 and they get to make 5 cards. Some are simpler than others, so it all kind of pans out. I do all the prep work for them, they just do the stamping, coloring and glueing. I provide everything they need plus drinks and snacks. It's a fun afternoon and I'm not out any money for my supplies. Although, with the amount of adhesive some of them use......you'd think I would be out $$$. LOL.
this sounds very reasonable to me. i would pay ten dollars to make four or five cards (definately). some weeks four depending on the details/technique/embellishments used. some weeks five cards if simple stamping/coloring/layering is used.

but i would say - bring your own snacks. cardstock and adhesive can get expensive.

so i would go to your workshop for ten dollars and bring my own snack. (most ladies i know who are cardmarkers/crafters are the sweetest most generous people i know. in no time people will begin bringing little embellishments to share and snacks to share, etc.).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I do 5 cards and one small 3d item for 12.00, everyone brings a snack to share and I provide the paper plates, utensils and cups. They also have to bring their own adhesive, occasionally I have had to let them use my glue but they are normally good and bring their own. Lots of fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2011, 05:02 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for the input. I was thinking $10.00 for 5 cards.
Would those of you with a Cricut weigh in. What would be fair per "creation"
Disney characters in particular?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2011, 05:11 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

bdeyes9.....If your friends are not familiar with using the Cricut, I would be careful about letting them use it.

As far as the different papers needed to cut a Disney character, it's really not that much. Yes it may be a variety of colors, but each is only a small piece.

I would definately have your friends bring their own tool box of items used to create the cards. If they really are crafters, they should have these tools.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2011, 05:18 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Heart

$10. is very fair.

Is it always the same group that comes over?
If yes, I would ask that they take care of snacks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
bdeyes9.....If your friends are not familiar with using the Cricut, I would be careful about letting them use it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post

As far as the different papers needed to cut a Disney character, it's really not that much. Yes it may be a variety of colors, but each is only a small piece.

I would definately have your friends bring their own tool box of items used to create the cards. If they really are crafters, they should have these tools.

Patti
Why? We have two in our school library. Both are used by students and adults every day and neither has ever broken. That's grades 7-12, and in two years, neither the cricut nor the expression has broken down. My personal cricut is five years old and has never broken down. They seem pretty durable to me.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I charge $5 for cards only and $10 if it's cards plus stuff like boxes, bags, ornaments, etc. If it's good customers, it's free.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2011, 04:07 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

You might want to consider having them supply their own tool kit including adhesives and then you only have to supply the paper, inks, etc. Also consider having them bring the snacks. Then you can keep the cost down to $5 - 10 since I'm asuming you just want to cover the cost of the supplies. You are doing the majority of the work (designs, house cleaning, etc.) why not let your friends help you a little.

Anytime you let someone use your equipment (Cricuit, Big Shot, punches, etc.) you have to anticipate that something will get ruined or broken and you really will have a hard time getting the person to replace it. You may want to consider the wear and tear on your Cricut mats. BS pads, etc. People usually don't think about the fact that you have to replace these more often so think about what the cost is to you. You might want to ask them to bring thier own mats/pads. You could store them at your house so they would be there when they need them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2011, 04:58 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

stargirl.......My point was if people are not familiar with using the Cricut, there could be problems. Yes the machines are sturdy, but they also have to be used properly. Many people who do not have one may not know how to use the machine properly. You need to know how to set the dials for Speed, Pressure and the other features. These things may not be know by people who don't own the machine. Yes, it is very possible to damage the machine if it isn't used properly.

The machines at school the children use.....if those break down, the school has to replace them, it's not the personal property of someones. That makes a difference in how some people will handle them.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2011, 07:11 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I "run the Cricut. I just give them the pieces (if tiny on the mat). I have taught them to use my cuttle bug andd embossing folders. The one gal is a scrapbooker but just getting into Cards and Cricut stuff (she just bought an expression last weekend) Both my other friends are very careful and I wouldn't have to worry about my things being mistreated if anything they would want me to do it so my tool doesn't get broken. as I said Great Gals!
Reply With Quote Likes