Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: What Motivates You To Leave A Comment?
I leave a comment for every card I view. 43 14.83%
I only leave comments on cards that really "Wow" me. 151 52.07%
I only leave comments for SCS people I know. 1 0.34%
I only leave comments when the mood strikes me. 90 31.03%
I never leave comments. 5 1.72%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Makes You Decide to Comment?

I am curious to know what motivates people to leave a comment on someone's card/project.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realized how much comments on my cards meant to me, so now, when I view a card, I leave a comment! I definitely leave a comment when I have favorited a card...it always puzzles me why people will favorite a card but not leave a comment...oh well!

Comments are a great way to make someone feel encouraged and appreciated for the time and effort they put into their card!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I voted for cards that really WOW me only because you didn't really have a category that fit me. I comment on every card I look at when I have time which is only about 25% of the time that I am in the gallery. So I guess my real answer is I comment when I have time. Love SO MANY cards on here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

I don't have a gallery here yet, but I like to look at others' creations. I leave a note for a creation that catches my eye and/or ones that don't have many comments that are nice. I do admit that if one has tons of comments, I won't bother leaving one, but I might favorite it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 03:47 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually comment on the cards that I click on to view for the most part so I picked those. I do comment quite a bit though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I always comment on a card I put into favorites, and ones that WOW me. I don't comment on every card I view.

SAHM and SU! Demo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

None of the options really applied to me. I comment when I have time, often will make a concerted commenting effort where I will enter the gallery specifically to comment, and usually target my comments to underappreciated cards with less than three comments and/or fewer than 100 views. I also comment on things that catch my eye along the way, and also devote time to leaving comments for folks who've been kind enough to comment on my humble gallery. Lately I've also been trying to target scrapbook pages, which are very underrated on this card-centric site.

So, it's only slightly less complicated than the data collection for my thesis!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #8  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I voted "when the mood strikes" because it seemed the best option for how I really decide.

If I am leisurely cruising the gallery I will leave comments on cards that get my attention. I try to leave specific comments (I like the way you angled the layered image vs. nice card).

If I am "purposely" cruising the gallery I am "collecting" favorites for future inspiration. I try to mention these in the weekly FAVORITES week ending thread.

When I do look in My Favorites, I take the time to see if I already left a comment on the particular card and leave if I didn't. Sometimes I delete a bunch of similar cards from My favorites and I try to be sure I left a comment on each card before I do this.

If you are interested in receiving more comments, follow the link in my signature. It's a fun thread!

Happy Crafting!
~ Tina ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I voted for *WOW*, but I also leave comments for people I have connected with, and sometimes for people who I can tell are new or have just started a gallery, and sometimes I leave comments just because I like to be an encourager. So I leave comments a lot. When I'm not leaving comments . . . it's because I am crabby (rarely) or because my computer or the site is being wonky (most often the case.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

I voted "when the mood strikes," but truth is, I try to comment on cards posted by people who comment in my gallery (I've found some great galleries that way), on cards in galleries I've bookmarked as really liking, and on cards I find cruising the recent additions. I also comment if I CASE or am inspired by someone's card, if I favorite a card, or if it's linked in a thread I'm reading and I really like it. I comment on the cards in the Christmas Card Challenge since I'm in that, too. I also comment if I see a neglected card in someone's gallery. There's some great stuff that just gets lost in the crowd (which is why I never expect comments myself), but I acknowledge those cards when I find them.

I generally do not comment if there are three pages of comments already because I don't have as much time as I'd like to spend on this site and feel that cards with dozens of comments don't really need any validation from me and my time would be better spent seeking out lonely cards that need some lovin'.

Cool poll as I often wonder what motivates people to comment or favorite something. As you can tell, my motivations result in pretty random posting of comments, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 04:44 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

After I saw a thread where some folks stated that it was rude to view a card or put it in your favorites without commenting on it, for the most part I stopped looking at the galleries and stopped adding my cards here. I decided the whole "number of comments" thing was adversely affecting MY ability to enjoy SCS.

Now, once in a while (insomnia!!) I'll wander in there, but I just don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 04:46 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

If I click on it I comment! I think its only right. I was interested enough to view it closer so why not say something. Ill admit Im not the most original commenter but I say what Im thinkin! If I say I love it! That what I mean! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

None of the responses fit my "comment style"....I comment when I have the leisure time to do so AND when SCS isn't doing the wonky slow thing. I can't count the number of times I've typed a thoughtful, on-point, really nice comment and it gets lost in cyberspace because the data base is experiencing problems. It makes me think twice and three times before I waste the time to write a comment....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 05:06 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I voted for "when the mood strikes me", but it really is more about time. If I have the time, I like to comment on every card that I can. Usually though, that is not possible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I try to comment on wow cards that have only a few comments- and if i plan on casing it or i favorited it- however i rarely comment on cards that have pages of comments, even if i favorite it (sorry if that's not PC!). I'll also leave a comment on random viewings if time permits and the site isn't wonky!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I see a card that really catches my eye..it cud be the colors, the layout, or the stamp, and the way it's put together. It cud be a Bella stamp..i don have them , and will not be getting any..but i have seen sum that really grabbed me..also if i see a card that has 15 comments, i don usually leave one.. .
I always leave a comment on the ones i fave..I do try and comment on the ones that i see that have not had any comments in say a few days or a week..i know they deserve sum credit too..loves Gail

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I comment on cards that I really like a lot- but I don't always comment on those. Usually I am sneaking online in between chores (I spent the money for my maid on stamps!!) and I don't always have time. But if a card I look at really strikes me and it doesn't already have a gazillion comments I make a point to comment on it. If it already has a lot then I don't necessarily take the time because the artist probably already knows it is great. But that could be a wrong attitude as well- and I might work on that. (when I have time in between chores!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
After I saw a thread where some folks stated that it was rude to view a card or put it in your favorites without commenting on it, for the most part I stopped looking at the galleries and stopped adding my cards here. I decided the whole "number of comments" thing was adversely affecting MY ability to enjoy SCS.

Now, once in a while (insomnia!!) I'll wander in there, but I just don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
That's a little sad- the people who are obsessed with numbers need to get over it- we are all busy and IF we comment just be glad. I may open a card to get the detail and then just not like it and I can't lie that it's nice if it doesn't appeal to me. I do think if someone favorites my card-they must have liked it, take it for what it is.

And Joan it would be even sadder if you stopped sharing with us. You have some great work in that gallery.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I too, voted for the WOW category, which may be the first cards I comment on, but sometimes I see a cool card that hasn't gotten much attention and I try to leave a comment for them. I find there's almost always something interesing about everyone's cards, but I just can't take the time for constant comments.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Sometimes I don't have time to comment, I just have time to browse the goodies. And other times what I want to say has already been said numerous times and I don't want to look like a dork 'cause I couldn't think of something original.

Check out my blog! www.sunfaeriecreations.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I try to comment on cards that I really like. And I also try to comment if a card has no comments at all. Every card deserves a comment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I comment on cards that Wow me! So if you get a comment from me, I REALLY mean it. Sometimes I don't comment on a card I love simply because it already has 7 or 8 pages of comments and I am short on time. I do treasure every comment I receive in my small gallery, but I actually appreciate the favorites even more! That, to me, really shows that someone likes it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 06:19 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow! I love reading everyone replies so far! I decided to start this whole thread today after noticing a picture in the "New additions" today that had 150 views, but no comments. That seemed so sad to me, & it got me wondering why all those people would look & none commented. So... vote on... I know I'm not the only curious about comments!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I checked cards that really wow me, but it is really for the most part cards that I favorite to find them again. I could never find the time to comment on each card I view, as a relative newbie I need to take a closer look to see if I understand what techniques were used, or which background, etc. I can only find this out by viewing the recipe as well as the card. I hope posters would take any attention as a compliment! And some day I hope to share the knowledge I have gained in the hours I have perused the galleries!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 06:49 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I, too, am one who makes certain to comment on a card that has few or no comments. Sometimes I search out cards with no comments and make sure to leave something.

Otherwise if the card is really great I'll leave a comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

When I first came on SCS I rarely ever left a comment, mostly cause I didn't know what to say. But since I have started a gallery here and understand how much a comment can mean to everyone I try to comment as much as I can. Like a lot of others, if someone has a lot of comments I ususally don't leave one just because I will have nothing else to say about the card, or if the site is to slow. I try to comment as much as I can! Great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 07:01 PM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

none of the options really reflect my commenting "style". I comment on most cards I open to view, but not all...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

I used to just leave comments on cards that "wowed" me, but as I've been on SCS longer, I realize how meaningful it is to all stampers to be acknowledged and acclaimed so now I try to leave comments on cards that may have been skipped over by other folks.

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

*high-fives StampingShawn*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

i comment when I have the energy. I'm not really a well person and sometimes I just click with the mouse and enjoy the cards. I don't have the tech ability to post myself. I'll try to be more diligent about commenting on my appreciation of those amazing cards. I rarely see a card I don't like at all!

Sara in WI
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 07:29 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

I try when I come on scs to leave a comment for 2 0r three cards....i don't browse a whole lot...
there was a thread at one time encouraging everyone to comment on a few cards everytime they visit,...i try to do that....don't always make it...

now I am off to do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 07:41 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

I will leave comments on cards that have few or no comments. (I really dislike the "favorited" tally -- seems like a cause of needless bad feelings for many...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #33  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by look-inkgood
I too, voted for the WOW category, which may be the first cards I comment on, but sometimes I see a cool card that hasn't gotten much attention and I try to leave a comment for them. I find there's almost always something interesing about everyone's cards, but I just can't take the time for constant comments.
Me too! I try to look for those who don't have many comments and may be overlooked. But, I'll leave comments on wow cards too, especially if there aren't many listed.

I have to say though that I don't leave comments on those cards that already have 40+ comments. I figure (and hope) they know how great their card is with that many comments. Then I can spend my engery and the little time I have on the ones that may be under commented.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 PM   #34  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

BTW, I LOVE the new favorited feature. What an awesome compliment!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I try to make sure that I leave comments for all the cards I put in my Favorites. I will comment on cards that really WOW me, but I'm sometimes on the lookout for cards that don't have any comments. I think it's important to encourage people.

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I voted 'I leave a comment for every card I view' and that is true for the most part! Even if it doesn't wow me, something about it caught my attention and is worthwhile commenting on! Occasionally, I can't come up with a single thing to say and I just back out of it, but rarely! I love recieving comments and therefore I feel it is only fair that I would take the time to leave some. I am on dial-up, so when I say 'take the time' , I really mean it!! lol! I guess that's why I leave a comment for every one I view because it's a commitment just to look at one...I might as well say something while I'm there! I am constantly inspired by the people on this site and I like to share that with them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

I didn't see the option I would vote for, "There were already comments which I would just be repeating, and/or time was really short for me."

I have to say that after the forum postings that people were upset they didn't get comments AND favorited (I kind of think being favorited is a comment in itself, isn't it? as in "I like your card enough to keep looking at it easily") I've held back from looking at galleries at all for the past few days.

I always leave a comment if there are less than three comments anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2007, 04:38 AM   #38  
Mad Swapper

Since I joined SCS in 2004, I've checked out the today's additions every morning. Not too long ago there were about 7-8 (48 per) of new additions each morning to view--now there are 19-20. Can you believe it? Now just viewing the uploads takes real time, so I usually reserve my commenting for the weekend mornings when I have more time. On other days, the favorited feature lets stampers know I liked their cards! I try to comment on the underappreciated mostly, or cards that have something unique or unusual that caught my eye. And I try to make my comments substantive or particular, and not just "cute card".
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2007, 04:39 AM   #39  
Mad Swapper

The 7-8 and 19-20 refer to PAGES of uploads, in case that wasn't clear in the above post ;-)
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2007, 05:21 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

I had to clear up that I was crying sour grapes with the favoriting thing. I have had cards that have been favorited with absolutely no comments before. That is just a little odd to me, but I'm not losing sleep over it!! ;) Everyone is different, even in their commenting style. I was just making an observation. But, I agree, favoriting is a form of comment in and of itself.

I have only been stamping for about a year, and I am still learning a lot, so I guess I like the encouragement of a comment to let me know what people liked about the card. What does everyone else like about comments?

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes