Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #121
Stampin' Fool

Worst: Uppercase Monogram letters. I tried to space out the purchasing, due to the cost, but didn't get them all before they retired. I can't spell much with less than half the alphabet!
Best? All of my paper punchers.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #122
Die Cut Diva

Best: Baroque Motifs set. I didn't even notice it in the catalog, but I started seeing it used here on SCS. I now use this set all the time and in so many different ways. I will never part with it! I also love my Paper Snips--don't know how I ever lived without them!

Worst: Decorative edge scissors. I can't cut straight, so it always ends up looking horrible. Also, the ink cartridges for SU wheels. I didn't realize I could just use my ink pads--duh!

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Old 03-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #123
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok - So far I have 2 very favorite buys-

1. The Provocraft Chizzel-it. It takes 2 AA batteries - and then you can use the attachments to apply chalks or inks. The effect is almost like air-brushing. Very soft and evenly applied.

2. My Fiskars Shapecutter. I use this thing ALOT! I can draw whatever I want freehand or trace - and then cut it out effortlessly. No ackward turning paper this way and that - no uneven edges from scissors. For me, this is an indispensible gadget. I keep several of the little replacement blades on hand.

Worst buy - the liquid chalk pens from Joann. Supposed to show up on dark paper. Well they do - sort of. But I wanted something that would really pop. Not these.

Oh - one other favorite of mine for making cards - it's a book called " The Secret Language of Birthdays". It's a big book - but it has individualized information about every day of the year. A must have for those really unique, personal birthday cards ( or for any special day actually).

I don't have one single thing from SU and probably never will. Since you have to buy from a demonstrator - I really don't even want to bother with that. Sort of like buying makeup from Avon or Mary Kay - yes it's great stuff, but not worth the hassle of placing orders or (even worse) having to have a "party". And I'm only guessing here- but it is probably rather pricey. Maybe someday as I progress farther into this craft I'll check it out. But for now, I really do love my clear stamps and my rubber stamps. Oh - and love my collection of Petal Point ink/chalk pads. Love em!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:24 AM   #124
Glitter Guru

My best purchase has to be my first card making kit which I bought from eBay for all of 5 and was the kick start to my new obsession - oops my new hobby!

Other than that my other bests have to be my woodware trimmer with changeable blades, crop-a-dile and all my SU stock - I love the fact that everything coordinates in color and some of the stamps and wheels coordinate as well.

My worsts - far too many to list, but mostly include the cheapo ink pads and card I thought I could get away with using at the beginning before I discovered the better quality brands, cheapo 1 store embellishments that look like they cost no more than a penny to make - those have gone to my friend for her kids to play with (as does most of my cheapo stuff now). I also spent 25 (about $50) on some Starburst Stains (a pearlescent sparkly set of watery paint things that you use to paint backgrounds with). I have used them once!! The colors are so pretty but I can't imagine I would ever need to make that many pieces of background paper to use up all 5 pots in the set. Here's a link to what they are: http://www.sirstampalot.co.uk/produc...ducts_id=21752

I'm going to get them out today and try them with my cuttlebug embossing folders to see if they work!! I wanna get rid of them!

Vannessa
Old 03-26-2008, 02:14 AM   #125
Die Cut Diva

Best Buys.....Ibrakeforstamps stamps, copics, prismacolour makers and pencils, cuttlebug & embossing folders, nestabilities, metal edged ruler,stazon ink, versamark, slot punch, and baby wipes

Worst Buys.....the dreaded Vintage Kit from QVC UK (OMG you have no idea how awful this was )..loads of trimmers...I always go back to my craft knife and metal edged ruler .....stacks and I mean stacks of 12x12 dp that is just plain awful peel off stickers, stickers, weird emblesshments from when I first started and had to buy everything in sight.....oh and cheap dst why oh why did I buy that
Old 03-26-2008, 02:23 AM   #126
Die Cut Diva

Best Buys.....Ibrakeforstamps stamps, copics, prismacolour makers and pencils, cuttlebug & embossing folders, nestabilities, metal edged ruler,stazon ink, versamark, slot punch, and baby wipes

Worst Buys.....the dreaded Vintage Kit from QVC UK (OMG you have no idea how awful this was )..loads of trimmers...I always go back to my craft knife and metal edged ruler .....stacks and I mean stacks of 12x12 dp that is just plain awful peel off stickers, stickers, weird emblesshments from when I first started and had to buy everything in sight.....oh and cheap dst why oh why did I buy that
Old 03-26-2008, 02:32 AM   #127
Die Cut Diva

Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 AM   #128
Die Cut Diva

Old 03-26-2008, 02:58 AM   #129
Die Cut Diva

sorry pc is playing up!
Old 03-26-2008, 05:15 AM   #130
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewnmachine View Post

I don't have one single thing from SU and probably never will. Since you have to buy from a demonstrator - I really don't even want to bother with that. Sort of like buying makeup from Avon or Mary Kay - yes it's great stuff, but not worth the hassle of placing orders or (even worse) having to have a "party". And I'm only guessing here- but it is probably rather pricey. Maybe someday as I progress farther into this craft I'll check it out. But for now, I really do love my clear stamps and my rubber stamps. Oh - and love my collection of Petal Point ink/chalk pads. Love em!
Actually, I thought this too at first about SU! (that it was too pricey) - it's actually cheaper than any stamp you will buy at AC Moore or Michael's. They sell in sets, so you can easily get 6 or 7 stamps in one set, for like $20-$25 - most stamps at Joann or AC Moore are $7 or more, just for ONE stamp!

I also think their paper is cheaper if you do the math. Since it comes in packs, it's cheaper per piece than buying at AC Moore or Michael's. AND it matches everything. Which I love.

I'm not a SU Demo (wish I was!) - so I am not just saying this - I really do think SU has great prices on most items (some of them you can def. get elsewhere for lower). Just my two cents!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:43 AM   #131
Matboard Maniac

Worst -- Fastenator, 1yd rolls of ribbon, multiple purchases of the SAME pp stacks, wire & wire tools (I have touched it only 1x and will never try again!), acrylic paint, a whole bunch of Sizzix dies I don't use, silent setter (it never sets the eyelets properly), cheapo chalks -- love my pebbles chalks, and most of my idea books.

Best -- My 2 ATG 's (1 a/f, 1 regular),
--My AMM tool tote,
--SCS membership!
--Sizzix machine,
--bazzill, SU & worldwin swatch rings. I love being able to sit at my table and being able to pick colours without pulling them all out and seeing if they match. I can also order online and get much better deals and get the colours I like instead of trying to remember all the names (and usually screwing them up!)
--I love my Becky Higgins sketch books for scrapbooking
--Aquapainter
--teflon bone folder
--cutterbee retractable exacto knife. I never worry about loosing the lid to my exacto and having one of the kids accidentally cutting themselves.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #132
Rubber Obsessor

Hi

My best purchases is the
- Black India Ink pad - To color with the Tombow watercolor markers. Easy to clean and the ink does not run and image stampped is crisp
- My sketch copic markers
- My Prismacolor pencils along with the mineral spirits and stups
- My Mimi stamping bag
- My Cutter bee twizzer

worst purchase:
-Sizzix machine. (I havs sold it and bought a cuttlebug instead)
-Silent setter provo craft and instent setter from Making Memories
- From SU the Wheel ruler guide (maybe I do not know how to maximise the use of this tool)
- From SU the snail adhesive. All my cardstock pieces glued with it all falling appart.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #133
Rubber Obsessor

Best: on eBay, all of the SU original ink pads, all the re-inkers, all the markers, in a wooden carousel, at a bargain price. The lady had maintained it all impeccably. I truly dislike the new SU stamp pads, so I only buy their re-inkers and make my own spots and pads, exactly like the old style.

Worst (to date): Top Score multi-board. Should have invested in one of the other two scoring solutions.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #134
Compulsive Stamper

Worst: Fiskars paper cutter (just not very user-friendly)
Mono Adhesive (constantly gunking up and breaking)

Best: Carl Paper Trimmer (industrial strength cuts 20 pages at a time)
Trio Adhesive (no breaking tape, no gunked up dispenser, 3 widths)
Old 03-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #135
Pearl-ExPert

Best: VersaMark Pad
Worst: ProvoCraft Mini Sewing Machine
My A Muse Studio
Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #136
Kookie Creator

This is a fun thread!

Best: Making Memories Precision Trimmer, SU! Watercolor crayons, Palette Hybrid ink

Worst: stickers, idea books (just don't use them when I have the web!)
Old 03-26-2008, 11:20 PM   #137
Matboard Maniac

OK.

I also don't own anything from SU. I find it to be expensive, as although the stamps come in sets, I usually don't want all the stamps in a set, so it would actually work out cheaper for me to buy individual stamps. And SU is relatively new here and haven't met too many people who are demos.

Best:
Penny Black Stamps - love these, they are so fun and cute.
Watercolour pencils - almost my only colouring tools.
Aqua brush - couldn't do without it.

Worst:
Stupid stamps that I never use
Loads of cheap card and paper that I still don't know what to do with
Burgandy embossing powder - who embosses in burgandy?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #138
Hardware Hotshot

Best: All my SU! purchases. I love how well everything coordinates, from the punches matching the images, to the colours - mmmm the colours! SU! really opened my eyes to the difference quality ink and paper can make, not to mention the beautiful impressions you get from their stamps. I also couldn't do without my cuttlebug, nesties and stickles. Love them!

Worst: Awful cheap ink pads and cheap cardstock (I had three colours before SU!....white, black and red - not kidding!) Icky packs of 12x12 paper with designs that once out of the pack, are just hidious. Cheap pastels and pencils. Um, basically, everything I ever bought pre 2006! (2007 a LSS finally came to my town!)

I can't be too hard on my old icky products though - they got me started on the road to where I am now and selling them has been really useful - more money for SU! and all the stuff I HAVE to get because of SCS!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #139
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Send a message via MSN to zipperc98

Best: ATG (just got it, haven't used it much yet, but I love it), SU! Stampin' Scrub and stampin' mist, cropadile, SU! ink and paper, pretty much any ribbon from SU!, paper trimmers (I use them a TON for every little trimming project), SU! Color Caddy (I own all the ink pads, which I love), SU! Stack and Store Caddy, SU! Markers, Blender Pens, Aquapainter, Versamark pad

Worst: non SU! stamps. Especially the cheap $1 clear Michaels stamps. They wouldn't ink well for me, I sold them at a garage sale!. Other worst items for me: Non SU! DSP (can't get it to match any of my SU! stuff), Non SU! ribbon (I am a snob I guess).

I am sure there are a few SU! items that are on my worst list, not so much accessories but stamp sets that I just had to have but was scratching my head later. I can't remember now because I have generally gotten rid of them as quickly as possible! lol. Ok, so I have to say (now that I am thinking of one) that Loads of Love is one of my worst. I have hardly used it, and I find it difficult to use for some reason. JMHO.

I have been stamping for just over a year and I have mostly bought SU! items, even before I was a demo. The few items I bought outside of SU! I either still have and am regretting it, or I have already gotten rid of! I try to branch out, I just can't do it!

Thanks for the fun thread! I loved reading everyone's responses.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:22 AM   #140
Mad Swapper

Send a message via MSN to jessthenurse Send a message via Yahoo to jessthenurse

I've seen alot of people mention the fiskars shapecutter on their worst list. I have to wonder what kind of mat you're using w/it. I love mine! I use a glass mat (not a self-healing one) and make sure my blade depth is adjusted properly before I cut anything.

My best stuff: anything SU. I love the quality of the products and they make it easy to match everything. So, Amy, I'll join the snob club w/you.

Worst: all the cheapo stuff I bought before I knew better. Seriously, I'm in the process of getting ready for a yard sale and have been going through my stuff. I've already found two boxes of stuff that I bought and never use.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #141
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to eangello

best:
SU inks, stamps, cs
ATG gun
Cuttlebug Embossing Folders (use with Sizzix)
worst:
stamp a majig - never used
Fiskars embossing texture plates - what was I thinking????
Michael's $1 stamps
Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #142
Cardstock Collector

Best-SU! inks and stamps, Big Bite crop-a-dile, Xyron, Cuttlebug embossing folders w/ Sizzix, shiny silver brads, chalk, ribbon, Zots
Worst-Cricut-too time consuming. In the process of selling on eBay!! Alphabet stamp sets, clear stamps, Sizzix paddle punches (UGH!)
Old 02-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #143
Polyshrink Goddess

Worst: color chart - foam stamps I bought to stamp on my patio, but then not usable for paper much, two cans of spray webbing- only like it for Halloween, Advanced tape glider: liked it at first, but the tape keeps breaking, no clue what I am doing wrong.

My decorative edge scissors were great for a while, don't use them anymore (except deckle), duet stamps from Posh Impressions, and similar ones from SU - I just don't like the look.

Stickers are ok once in a while, about to toss (donate) a bunch of those (can you tell that I've been at this for over 15 years?) OH Yeah, the paper packs: most of them have a bunch of sheets I'd never use, and most have too large of a pattern for cardmaking (I don't scrapbook much) - I find that I use mostly solid colors and you can stamp a background on it if needed.
Hate embossing powder, except clear, white or black (detail or fine detail is best)
Best: Martha Stewart punches and Stampin Up! stamps, and cardstock. I also love Fabri-Tac glue for paper and cardstock - have now found that Beacon's 3 in 1 advanced craft glue is the same thing and much cheaper. Also, to save $, I occasionally use Elmer's Glue-All on cardstock in little dots (not thick) -looks just like the old school glue but is much better on paper (not the thin copy paper though).
That's it for now......
Old 02-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #144
Insane Embellisher

Best purchase, SU cs and their big scissors. I was using a cheap pair of scissors before that and they made my hand hurt! Also GinaK white cs for bases.

Worst was a cheap paper stack with glitter that made a mess and the MS circle cutter, could NOT get that thing to work properly and I tried everything, glass mat included.

I use that Micheal's white cs for the inside of dark colored cards, it's lighter in weight and I save my SU white for stamping and card fronts.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #145
Pearl-ExPert

Best Purchase ~ Big Shot
Worst Purchsase ~ All the Michael's $1 stamps. I garage sold them for 24 cents. BOo!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #146
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufeestamper View Post
Best Purchase ~ Big Shot
Worst Purchsase ~ All the Michael's $1 stamps. I garage sold them for 24 cents. BOo!
Just out of curiosity, why do people seem to dislike the Michaels stamps?

I regret buying some because I just don't use them, but others seem to be really cute and useful.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #147
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber79 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why do people seem to dislike the Michaels stamps?

I regret buying some because I just don't use them, but others seem to be really cute and useful.
Oh, they were cute. I just don't really like the gel type stamps, I like rubber better. They were too cute to resist, but I never used them. Also, I have a "collector habit" so I couldn't just get one. I would buy them ALL and never use them. So it was more about me and my self control than it was about Michael's stamps not being good. LOL.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #148
Glitter Queen

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufeestamper View Post
Oh, they were cute. I just don't really like the gel type stamps, I like rubber better. They were too cute to resist, but I never used them. Also, I have a "collector habit" so I couldn't just get one. I would buy them ALL and never use them. So it was more about me and my self control than it was about Michael's stamps not being good. LOL.
OIC, I totally understand. I think I have bought too many of them myself!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #149
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewnmachine View Post
After reading your post I wanted to let you know that you do not have to purchase Stampin' Up! products through a demonstrator. You can order directly through the Stampin' Up! store online and you do not have to have a party. It is cheaper ordering through a demonstrator, but not necessary.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #150
Stazon Splitcoast

It was fun to look back at what was hot a few years back! Some things never go out of vogue. Stamp-a-ma-jigs are still a great go-to tool and SU papers and inks are still high quality and are easy to coordinate together.

Best: Big Shot and all my embossing folders
Versafine Onyx ink-a true black that is great for detailed images
Seam binding ribbon-has made me fall in love with ribbon all over again

Worst: cheap dp
wide ribbon that I've never quite gotten the handle of using
anything I've purchased because I liked how someone else uses it when
I know it's really not my style or things I purchased as a demo that I thought other people would like-if I don't like it my self I just don't use it

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #151
Die Cut Diva

Wow, a really old thread revived again!

Best: PTI stamps, dies and cardstock; Copics; Big Shot; teflon bone folder; Genesis paper trimmer; ATG gun

Worst (only because I haven't sold it yet): Cricut Create and ALL those cartridges; other things that I have found the worst, I've been able to sell and consider it a lesson well learned.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #152
Insane Embellisher

Best: versatile stamp sets from SU, ATG gun, SN markers, versamark

Worst: DP that doesn't go with anything, coredinations cardstock from JA, tape glider pro that never worked right and went to the trash within a week.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #153
Die Cut Diva

Worst:

Any and all clear/acrylic/photopolymer stamps. Very intricate dies of any type. I don't know what kind of stamp they are, or who the manufacturer is, but they are on this weird white foamy-type stuff. You could spend the rest of your life trying to get one clear image from one. Then again, stamping is obviously not my strong suit if I can't stamp with acrylic stamps. Everyone else I know has no problems with them.

Best:

Most of my dies and embossing folders. Anything Stampin' Up. Sakura gel pens. Marvy's markers.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #154
Pearl-ExPert

My best purchases are definitely my Big Shot and my Cricut. My worst purchase was a Grand Calibur die cutting machine. It had suction on the bottom but it never stuck to the table I was using - it would move around. It was expensive and a total waste of money. I gave it away. I only bought it because I had a workshop on Saturday and on Friday night my Big Shot broke. I had to have something to finish up my card kits so off to Hobby Lobby I sent. In hind sight a Cuttlebug would have been much better.

My Blog
- My Gallery

Last edited by Tinkerbell1958; 02-09-2013 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 02-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #155
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to Jill with a G

Best Purchase: Cuttlebug! I remember how good I felt when I got it on sale! I use the heck out of it too! Love this thing!

Worst Purchase: Dollar Store DP. I still have it, but wonder if I'll ever use it!!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #156
Crimping Master

Best purchase-Big Shot
Worst-Creative Memories paper trimmer....aaack!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #157
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Best purchase : Rotatrim paper cutter, Big Shot. Paper cutter pricey and worth every penny with broken arms.

Worst- creative memories circle and oval cutter- that thing ate blades way too fast and cuts were jagged. SU ink, ok I know this one may just be me but I could never get a clear image. They have such a good reputation I was able to sell and recoup some losses.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:44 AM   #158
Glitter Guru

Best purchase: Big Shot, Spellbinder Circle/Oval/Square/Rectangle Nestabilities dies, Lyra and Derwent Inktense watercolour pencils, Stampin' Up! corner punch, Bow Easy, Fray Stop, EK Success border punches, embossing folders, Penny Black stamps because they never date or go out of style IMHO

Worst purchase:
Bulk buy of 36 Colorbox chalk cat's eye ink 'cos they all dried out super-quick
Cheap quality acrylic stamps that never stamp properly.
Glue dots that aren't strong enough to hold anything on for more than a few days or your embellies slide down your card.
Cheap quality watercolour paper (totally useless).
Some of my Martha Stewart edge punches that have never cut cleanly or they jam no matter what I do - done all the cutting through foil/sandpaper, lubricated them, nothing makes the slightest difference!

My Gallery My Blog

Be with those who bring out the best in you, not the stress in you!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #159
Die Cut Diva

Best: stamp-a-ma-jig, ATG gun, tonic guillotine paper cutter. All three are so basic but so essential now I don't know how I survived without them.

Worst: I guess I'm lucky that I don't have any truly big mistakes. The biggest single mistake I made was buying a bunch of "cosmic" embossing powders from Sparkle N Sprinkle at a stamp expo. They leave a sheen across the entire paper, not just your image. I gave them away and stick to their normal embossing powders now. My second biggest mistake was buying a bunch of Marvy markers to use to watercoloring. Those things dried up and became useless really quickly.

My Pinterest Boards
Old 02-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #160
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Send a message via AIM to bdeyes9

Best Purchase: My Genisys Paper Cutter...
Worst: All the other paper cutters befor Geni!!!