Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #81
Mad Swapper

Best: All SU! Inks, ATG Gun, Craft & Rubber Scissors, Nestabilities, Big Shot

Worst: Non-SU! Decorative Paper, Watercolor Pencils (what exactly are they supposed to match with?) and Non-SU! Organdy - it is so hard to tie!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #82
Crimping Master

Let me think about my worst purchases... Fiskars Oval cutter, cheap rubber stamps that repel ink, dull decorative scissors, really thin cardstock, all of my Jolee's 3D stickers that I'll probably never use, paper trimmers, the Karen Foster Click it! that I just HAD to have...and I think that's all of the major ones that stand out in my memory. Oh, I also now wonder why I bought a Quickutz, I never use it.

I love my SU stuff, stamps by Penny Black and Stampendous, chalk ink, my x-acto knife and Big Kick.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:58 PM   #83
Stampin' Fool

I love stamp-a-ma-jig! I don't have a good "eye" so it really helps me.
I agree with an earlier poster about not being able to use big SU pads. They dip so much in the middle that I almost always ruin the image, either with uninked areas or areas with globs of too much ink. Since I'm absolutely in love with SU's coordinating inks and paper, I use (and love) stampin spots.

Leslie
Old 12-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #84
Insane Embellisher

Isn't it funny how you can talk to so many people and get so many different answers? One of my favorite tools is the Karen Foster Click It.

I agree that my best purchase is SU paper; it just cannot be beat!!

My worst purchase was a fiskars cutting system. I never could get it to cut right-I finally gave up and gave it to the Goodwill. Another poor purchase was acrylic stamps on ebay.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #85
Crimping Master

Best would be any of my SU inks, cardstock and stamps.

Worst? The pink EK success circle cutter. A total piece of junk! I just ordered the Coluzzle from SU so we'll see how much better that baby is.

And actually, even though I am an SU demo, I ordered some CTMH stamps and blocks from a party and am loving them. Not enough to switch, though.
My Etsy Shop!
Old 12-23-2007, 11:10 PM   #86
Compulsive Stamper

I had All In a Row on my wish list for the longest time, until I saw Beate's cards and realized she was using the diamond-looking stamp to look like faux-stitching. I thought for the longest time that she was actually stitching all those darn cards. I LOVE that set now...you should try that out!
Old 12-23-2007, 11:37 PM   #87
Compulsive Stamper

Best Purchases: KAI Rubber Scissors (from Angel Company), stampin up papers, inks, and regular grosgrain ribbons; Creative Memories cutting system, Cuttlebug, Cricut, 3M glue instead of tape runner, SU dazzling diamonds glitter by the case, gamsol and stumps, brilliance pads, 2-way glue pen, baroque motifs stamp set, garden whimsy and pick a petal set are recent fav's

Worst: tacky looking stickers from when i first started scrapping, pre-made/pre-packaged cards from jo-ann (god what horrible quality--and white cores!), Framed Greetings stamp set--the only one out of 120 i haven't used to this day.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:52 AM   #88
Die Cut Diva

This was a very difficult question to answer, because most of the things I have I really like.

Best: SU cardstock & inks
Worst: Brush Stroke Alphabet - never have used it.

BTW, where can I get an ATG gun?

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Old 12-24-2007, 07:10 AM   #89
Die Cut Diva

I wish I had never bought that Fiskars dry embossing thing (with the blue base). I can't even remember what it is called! I love the look of embossing but it hurt my hand to do it after just a short time so I never really got much use out of it. I like my Cuttlebug so much better for these types of things.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #90
Polyshrink Goddess

The thing I use most of all is my Fiskars Rotary Paper Cutter. It changed my life! LOL!

The thing I regret buying was the Sun, Moon and Stars set. I did one bad card with it and never touched it again.

For the waste of accessories department: I got a little gripper that holds cotton balls so you don't get your fingers dirty when chalking. It never held them tight enough and I ended up using my fingers anyway.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:37 AM   #91
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittypaws View Post
This was a very difficult question to answer, because most of the things I have I really like.

Best: SU cardstock & inks
Worst: Brush Stroke Alphabet - never have used it.

BTW, where can I get an ATG gun?
I got mine at FramingSupplies.com and was very satisfied with their speed of shipment and price... Armel also has good prices...
Old 12-24-2007, 11:09 AM   #92
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by look-inkgood View Post
The thing I use most of all is my Fiskars Rotary Paper Cutter. It changed my life! LOL!

The thing I regret buying was the Sun, Moon and Stars set. I did one bad card with it and never touched it again.

For the waste of accessories department: I got a little gripper that holds cotton balls so you don't get your fingers dirty when chalking. It never held them tight enough and I ended up using my fingers anyway.
I have one of those grippers! I agree that it was a waste of money.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #93
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwenna View Post
Worst purchase? My Carl Cutter (I note that several of you love it though), because it didn't cut accurately and after paying over £60 for it, I expected better, so I sent it back and got a refund.
Best purchase? Anything SU! I particularly like how the colours co-ordinate and how Whisper White cs accepts ink.
Have to agree with you about the carl cutter being the worst item purchase. The extended arm on the cutter does not line up with the main ruler - worst nightmare. I'm waiting a couple of more months and then tossing the thing!!! So what did you replace it with???

MAZG, please pm me. I'd like to purchase your Wild Rose set!

Best thing I ever bought is my SU marker set. It's just the right tool for the style of coloring that I do!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Old 12-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #94
Chat Box Chick Enabler

This has been very interesting to read, just goes to show how people have their own preferences.

I totally agree that SU ink and cs RULES!!!

I do though love my color wheel and Lovely As a Tree.

My absolute best purchase is the stamp n scrub!!!

Worst......foam stamps. Ick!!
Old 12-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #95
Kookie Creator

Well as someone who has a stash to rival my local Archivers...here are my Best Worst lists

Best- my ATG gun, my cropodile, wishblade, embossing folders, and my new Tonic Scissors cut through everything like butter,

Worst
- a ton of older paper I never used and RAKed out
-all of the Marvy Giga/Mega/Jumbo etc... punches- I love them but now have the nestabilities and a wishblade so I don't really use the punches that much anymore
- the cats eye ink pads. I LOVE the ink but wish I had gotten them in the full sized pads. Its a huge PITA to ink a larger image.

But my main problem is just buying stuff to own it VS use it. I also have difficulty just buying one or two things from a line- I tend to NEED the whole kit and kaboodle.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #96
Matboard Maniac

Default Best and Worst list.

Best : SU stamp sets & punches, Provocraft paper cutter, watercolor pencils, cuttlebug, & cuttlebug embossing folders.

Worst: journal stamp, fiskars rotary cutter, SU color wheel, clearanced ink pads (dried out), & decorative scissors.

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:50 AM   #97
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, I'll jump in!

My best purchases: my Cuttlebug and embossing folders, SU Markers, SU rubber scissors and of course, the SU inks and cardstock (except white, which I buy a pack of 150 sheets of 110# white cardstock made by Georgia-Pacific from Walmart for something like $5- exactly like Whisper White from SU but lots cheaper!)

My worse purchases: my Xyron (never used it and have had it a couple of years!), all those cheap decorative scissors from Michael's, Stamp-a-ma-jig (bought that a couple of years ago, too, and it's still in the package!), Making Memories eyelets (they're so hard that you can't even set them!) There are a couple of SU sets that I bought and then wondered why...
Old 03-24-2008, 04:27 AM   #98
Polyshrink Goddess

What a great thread ~ interesting to see that I agree with most of you about bests and worsts.

My bests: my ScrapRack, anything SU ~ I put off buying SU CS as I thought it was way too pricy, then my demo insisted I use some and compare it to Michaels and I never looked back, Cricut, Design Studio software, Cuttlebug, EK Success Curvy Cutter, Cutterpede Trimmer

My worsts: Michaels CS, Joanns premade card kits (even at 90% off after Christmas, still a waste of $$), anything Fiskars (Fiskars and I just do not get along), Empressor embossing stylus, all the assorted storage containers I had before I got my ScrapRack
Old 03-24-2008, 04:35 AM   #99
Proud Fan Club Member

Okay - I have only been making cards about 6 months (so I still have a lot of catching up to you guys to do)........

BEST (so far): obviously - SU cardstock/inks!!!; Cuttlebug!!!!; Scor-Pal!!!!!! Stamp-a-ma-jig (I can't mount straight);

WORST: Clear microbeads and Heat/Stick powder with Dazzling Diamonds (besides winding up EVERYWHERE......I just can't seem to make them look good - wherever I put them---it just seems to look dirty....maybe I just need to really learn how to use them); ACMoore/Michales designer paper - looks good in the stores but doesn't match SU CS at home;

SCS BRAK Volunteer
Old 03-24-2008, 06:35 AM   #100
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

My worst stamping related purchases are those blasted Michaels $1 stamps that I absolutely never use...or really any single stamps that arent in a set. I am not that creative, lol.

My best would be my Tonic Paper Trimmer (tied with my Cuttlebug).
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Old 03-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #101
Hardware Hotshot

Best: The Tonic Paper cutter

Worst: Sizzix! Hate pushing down and moving it all the time, so got the BigKick and the CuttleBug!
...The difference between *life* and *living*...When you have someone close, someone special, a *Best Friend*, it's *Living*...When you lose her...it's just *Life*...
Old 03-24-2008, 06:58 AM   #102
Insane Embellisher

Best purchase:
Stamp-a-ma-jig,
Klic-N-Kut,
SU Rubber scissors,
A pair of foam handle comfort grip tweezers I stole from dh. I use those tweezers for everything and then some.
My first issue of Somerset Studio because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Will def get a sub when my CK subscription runs out.

Worst:
Coluzzle (Never could get the durn thing to work.
Carl paper trimmer (Not because it doesn't cut straight cuts, but because it's not a true 12x12 trimmer but just 8.5 x 12 and I am getting tired of this)
Old 03-24-2008, 07:08 AM   #103
Crimping Master

I used to work at a craft store for awhile so I have bought a lot of things over the past 4 years...

Favorites: Cuttlebug, Cricut, Scor-Pal (New), SU Markers, SU Punches, Nestabilities dies, PaperTrey Ink acrylic stamps

Least Favorite: Fiskars embossing plates (although I did hear that I could maybe use them in my Cuttlebug with the Nestabilities pad), SU Large paper trimmer (the really big one they sell),
Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #104
Stampin' Fool

My best purchase: The big shot...............love it, Any Su stamps, papertrey white card stock. Haven't tried any of the new colors but I am sure I would love them.

Worst- Cheap clear stamps, they don't stamp well.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:25 AM   #105
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Okay....I'll jump in too

My best purchases:

--SU paper, ink pads, markers, embellishments....etc. I really love the way everything matches.
--SU mat pack and my crop-a-dile were some great purchases too.
--One of the neatest things I have is a small snap together alphabet set. I just snap together the letters I want and I can make any word or phrase I need with out spending lots of money of SU word sets (and the word sets are expensive).
--Oh and I almost forgot my Pampered Chef turn-about (I paid $5 for it new in box at a yard sale), I love that for storage and I use it everyday.
--My Coluzzle, I really do like that cutting system it has worked really well for me. I've tried the Fiskars one and I just can't use that one.
--My fan club membership. I just love it here on splitcoast!

My worst purchases:

--I would have to say that darn wheel guide, I acutally think I can wheel better without it.
--And my ribbon keepers- I thought those were so cheap and flimsy, I didn't like them at all.
--Any loose stamps (I agree with the post above that I only buy stamps in sets)
--Non SU ink pads- I sold all of them- they are not a nice as the SU ones and the colors never match.
--My Stamp-a-ma-jig- I just can't get that darn thing to work for me. I think I can stamp better with out it. Maybe I'll give it another try.

That's all I can think of for now
Old 03-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #106
Pearl-ExPert

My best purchase would be my stampin up and papertrey cardstock.

My worst I think is my cricut. I've had it for over a year now and have only used it twice. It gets no love from me
Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #107
Rubber Obsessor

Default Best/Worst that come to mind right away....

Worst - Craft Robo Pro (just can't get the time to learn either of the TWO software packages I bought for it) Need to ebay it... followed by the Pallette glue pad, just threw that away.

Best - ATG gun; Copic airbrush & markers & Papertrey white cs to use with them!

There are many other best/worst, (my stamp room supplies could rival a small store, it is shameful) but these stand out in my mind right now!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #108
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to aprice522
Talking

Okay...

Best: By far...my ATG It is so wonderful. Can't believe I believed without it before! I love my CB, which my husband actually told me was "cool" (WOA)

Worst: Have to say SU markers and Black. I got a horrible set of markers that after paying over 100$, more then half of the brush tips were all frayed. I am so glad that I got rid of those!

I love the SU colors, but I actually don't hate non su cardstock. I actually love my DCWV cs b/c it IS thinner then the stuff at SU, same with designer paper.
I think it is a scrapper thing, but if I want to have layers and so forth and then have a large album...it just gets too big and thick..and i love to layer
Old 03-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #109
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinagriff View Post
It is 12 by 11 5/8 (or something like that). My SU demo said it is not true 12x12 because it wouldn't fit in the SU albums. I am a real perfectionist when it comes to scrapbooking, so when I can see true 12x12 peeking out from behind the non-true 12x12 in my albums, it drives me crazy. I will use SU paper to make cards with and to layer in my albums. I just won't use it as the primary album page.
SU paper use to be smaller than 12x12...like 2 years ago. But now it is a true 12x12 size. A lot of us complained...and SU listened and changed the product. The SU designer papers have always been a true 12x12. Now even the cardstock is!

kathy
Old 03-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #110
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLatty View Post
--My Stamp-a-ma-jig- I just can't get that darn thing to work for me. I think I can stamp better with out it. Maybe I'll give it another try.
I can't believe how many people don't love their Stamp-a-ma-Jig! I too was somewhat afraid of it at first, but now that I have seen what it can do, I LOVE IT! (feel the power of the SAMJ!) In all honesty, it really does help you get the image exactly where you want it.

Now for mine:

Best: SU! Cardstock, American Crafts RIBBON (quality & colors are wonderful), Cuttlebug & Embossing Plates, CM Circle & Oval Cutting System

Worst:

Stupid Quickkutz hand cutting tool. It looks like a giant pair of pink scissors and is awkward to use.

I also have the old Sizzix - that was an OK purchase at the time, but now I never use it.

Anything cheap & flimsy from Michael's or AC Moore

OH and that darn "paper crimper" thing - besides making confetti for gifts, what on earth do people use it for??
Old 03-24-2008, 07:16 PM   #111
Kookie Creator

Best: ATG, Cuttlebug w/ embossing folders, Scor-pal, I am still waiting for my nestabilities....

Worst: Not really sure, maybe my little stapler w/ the color staples? Seems like when I use it the color comes off and looks like a regular staple.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:13 AM   #112
Stampin' Fool

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Interesting to read through this thread. Guess it just proves the old saying, "one man's junk is another man's prize" (or however that went).

Best purchases: Big Kick and cuttlebug folders (Love these!), Ott Lite, and SU craft scissors

Worst purchases: SU stamps off Ebay that I thought were a good idea at the time and then wondered "Why?", Crop-a-dile (it still sits there in it's package about a year after I bought it..I'm afraid of it!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Old 03-25-2008, 05:51 AM   #113
Gabfest Goddess

Best: having all the SU! markers, classic and craft pads, and Marvy markers (not le Plume's) the fat ones. I use the Marvy the msot as they work better for the type of techniques I like to do.

Worst: SU Coilor Spritzer tool (yes, I know some people love it, but I hated it and gave it away.

Coluzzle - yew!!!!!!!!!

SU! Groovy Guava ink pad
Old 03-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #114
Watercolor Wizard

Smile

Best: SU card stock, cuttlebug, embossing folders,crocdile, prismacolor pencils, so many things - SU stamps, Heritage Farm stamps,

Worst: tape, I can not find tape that will hold my cards together for a long period. MC paper's, Decorative scissors from MC and Walmart, what a waste.
This thread is great for new comers, you get to know what is good and not good.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #115
Gabfest Goddess

RIRed2, for me the best generic tape is Scotch double stick. I buy multiple rolls at Sams. I have had cards come apart using glues and other brands of tape (except the red super tape). I put the scotch tape on a regular tape desk top dispenser and for travel, I keep one in the plastic case that comes with the tape. I've been using the scotch tape for 5 years and have card that old that are still holding together. I've also been using an ATG (atumatic tape gun) for the last 2 years and the cards are holding together.

For taping on coated papers the best is the red tape.

I should have added worse purchase are glue sticks. I've tried about 5-6 different brands and they don't long for the long run.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #116
Watercolor Wizard

Thanks so much Stamphappy I will get some scotch tape this week
Old 03-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #117
Stazon Splitcoast

I commented on this thread before and said "Stamp-a-majig" now I need to change that. I use my perfect layers almost every single time I stamp.
my blog
Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #118
Watercolor Wizard

what is perfect layers?
Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #119
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIRed2 View Post
Best: SU card stock, cuttlebug, embossing folders,crocdile, prismacolor pencils, so many things - SU stamps, Heritage Farm stamps,

Worst: tape, I can not find tape that will hold my cards together for a long period. MC paper's, Decorative scissors from MC and Walmart, what a waste.
This thread is great for new comers, you get to know what is good and not good.

Since I started using my ATG gun, I haven't had any problems with cards falling apart. I also like the Mono multi.

Debby
Old 03-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #120
Vee
Hardware Hotshot

Best: My guillotine style paper cutter (the big wooden-deck one)
Both SU! rubber scissors nd the identically good ones I got at the $store
Score-Pal
ATG gun
Water color crayons
Cuttlebug
Worst: Stamp positioner-never use.
That is the only thing I can think of. If I don't like something I give it away.