Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-25-2005, 03:42 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think?

O.k. I have a friend who has asked my opinion on a situtation she has and I wanted to get your opinions on it. I am asking here because I would like to get the opinions on demos and non-demos. O.k. here is the situtation in her own words.
"I have been invited to a "Stamp Day" at my demo's house. She hasnt had an event in over a year or longer. I have begged her for a long time to hold a workshop-camp, but stopped bugging her months ago, just cause I thought she was not into it as much. So, here is the scoop on it. She is having this "Stamp Day" from 10-1. (yes, 3 HOURS). Charging 8 dollars per person. RSVP required. We would have full use of her tools, stamps, accessories, inks, but NOT paper, which she said we would have to bring our own, or buy from her. As I agree with that part, I think the 8 bucks is high, AND having to bring our paper too!! Am i wrong? I feel bad that I have asked her for a year to hold SOMETHING again, and now i do not want to attend, BUT, she has never held this kind of a "open stamp time" thing. She has in the past done a fantastic food spread, but that was her ALL DAY camps...she made no mention of food with this invite, so I am thinking the $$ isnt for cost of food. Unless she has been buying herself a ton of new things, I just may have more than she does now, so going there, paying 8 bucks to stamp, seems pointless, KWIM?"

O.k. my feeling on my friends whole situtation is, I can understand charging $8 or more if it is a stamp camp and she has projects and stuff for her ladies to do and take home, But I can't see charging $8 to have someone come over and use your stamps. That does seem a little high to me. Oh and another tidbit my friend told me about on the phone but didn't mention in her email to me is that this lady is holding this in her garage in the middle of Nov. Can you say brrrr.

What do you all think of the situtation? Just wondering?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2005, 03:52 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I would hope that since the event is 10-1 there would be food...and that may justify the cost, but I would have expected such a reference in the invitation. I generally don't pay to go somewhere and stamp...but then I'm not a social person

Bottom line, IMHO, I think that is a bit much to ask unless it is to cover food or she does have projects to finish (but hopefully that paper is provided).

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #3  
The Digi-Freak

That's stinky!!! I think she needs to offer SOMETHING!!! for the $!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2005, 04:02 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

maybe your friend could ask her in a roundabout way what the plans are for everyone that day. I can't imagine she'd have projects for everyone to make if she's not supplying any paper. far from being a fun goodwill event that makes you want to buy a lot from her, this just sounds like a half-baked idea. I don't think I'd want to go even if the event were free since there doesn't seem to be any point other than being able to see stamping stuff in person, which sounds like a retail store charging admission fee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2005, 04:10 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Creative Memories Demos do this all the time. In my area, they charge $10 or more, just to be there, and then if you want paper or stickers etc... you pay for that on top. Usually there is some sort of snack though, nothing extravagent: M&M's, pop etc...

I guess due to that, I don't really see anything wrong with it. It's her supplies that are going to get all beat up and all. I usually look at it this way: $10 bucks (or whatever) is pretty cheap entertainment. It give me a chance to socialize with my friends and get something done without the interruption of my children and husband. That in itself is worth the $$ to me. But, I guess if paying for something like this gravels her she has the option of not going, and if the demo asks why she didn't, I'd be honest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2005, 04:59 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think $8 for 3 hours of using all of her stuff is bad at all. I would be very hesitant to let a people use my ribbon, ink, accessories and tools for only $8. I think it's very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2005, 05:09 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was thinking maybe she was charging that because some people would do scrapbook pages, but I'll tell you I'm hard pressed to go through $8 of CS in 3 hours scrapbooking. Must be that she is having some food and just didn't note it on the invite. She really wouldn't need an RSVP if she wasn't doing food.

Deborah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2005, 05:19 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I wouldn't mind paying $8 either. I think that's fair to use all her products. My demo charges us and I don't mind at all. As I've said before, I'd pay that amount to go out to have lunch w/ my girlfriend and the stamp camps are just as fun if not more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2005, 05:41 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Well I don't know first thought is paying $8 for 3 hours of freedom from kids and DH is a deal in itself. But I have never gone to something that I had to bring my own paper, I don't get that, and are there going to be predesigned projects? But 3 hours for a break from my usually days of taking care of kids, I might decide it wouldn't matter if I just curled up in a corner and took a nap that alone would be worth it. hehehehehe that is what I always say when I go to a crop event.

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2005, 07:55 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Location: At my front door peering through the sidelight anxiously awaiting a visit from 'Mr. Brown'...

3 hours for $8 worth of creative freedom is pretty good...Where I'm located events like this range from $15-39 depending on the length of time and supplies needed, and most make you bring you own ink and paper/consumables for a stamp day...

Don't forget, this demo isn't working for free either. Demo's need to charge for their time and most people tend to froget that, as with any job, our time is worth money, whether it's a lot or just a little... She is also perhaps charging to cover some of her food costs, that is a high cost these days, for finger foods. And also her SU! consumables that she may be required to replace at the end of the day because they got used up...

Just my thoughts...

Splitcoast Uploads - 2 Peas Scrapbook Gallery -
Stained Glass - Jeeping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 03:38 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Most of the stamp camps I've attended have been $10-$20 with everything supplied. I would get more info. Is she designing the projects? Will she let the participants know what colors of cardstock they need? I know we're hard pressed to get it all done in 3 hours when the cs is cut for us - if you have to measure and cut yourself, you might not get a whole lot done in that time.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 04:26 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just call her and say you are wondering if you should bring your own lunch, and whether there are particular projects planned, etc. I don't think 8$ is all that bad for 3 hours, because you get to use her stamps and inks. FYI My old demo used to charge $5 for that but I knew she was hoping for lots of orders!

If you think it is just a rip off, politely decline and if she asks why, explain that you were looking for more "projects" and not just a do your own thing kind of day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 05:09 AM   #13  
ajm
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stamp stores in my area charge $20 for a class where you make one card. So $8 for access to all her supplies seems very reasonable to me.

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 05:17 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

I also think $8 is reasonable, especially for a 3 hour camp. Ink is a consumable also, remember, so she is entitled to a little bit of money to replenish the inkpad, and also the Stampin' Mist to clean the stamps. Plus, ribbon, adhesive, etc. Also, she has to set up, get all her stuff out, etc. And I'm sure she is there for "consultation" for lack of a better word, to help people with their cards/projects. And yes, if there is food involved, then that certainly makes a difference.

I'd jump on it for $8. My up-up-upline has one of these once a month in a banquet room, and charges $15.00 for it, but it includes pizza.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 05:30 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I dont think it is too bad....altho I prefer attending stamp camps that have projects lined up. I would probably attend if I had things that I wanted to work on. I am sure that she will have items on display and you can say "I want to make that". Based on the time I would also say she will have at least snack foods aval.

Honestly if it were me and my friend was having this I would be on the phone with all kinds of questions! Find out what she has in mind in order to get in idea as to what to bring.

Don't be upset - $8 is not bad at all considering most demos of other companies charge $10+ just to provide a space and the atmosphere for stamping and scrapping!

Just go and have a great time to support your friend ;)

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 06:21 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

You ladies have some very valid points. I will make sure my friend reads these. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 06:44 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

seems reasonable to me - I am paying closer to $9 (based on todays exchange rate!) to have 3 hours table time at a stamp shop next week during which I can use any stamps (of which there are A LOT), ink pads, embossing powders etc in their workshop. A certain amount of cardstock is available too although I plan to take some of my own white to stamp images to take home to watercolour etc. Tea/coffee and biccies are included ;)

If someone offered me three hours access to their SU supplies for $8 I'd be jumping for joy lol!

Pootle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 07:03 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I pay $15 for a four hour stamp camp that includes snacks but not "food" (not like a meal). We make eight cards and everything (like paper, etc.) is included. We get to keep the cards, get the envelopes, and a little plastic holder to keep it all in.

I don't think $8 is unreasonable, but I guess it depends on how many cards you get to make. I mean, if it's ONE then I'd probably not go. But if it's 5 or 6 it's probably worth it IMO.

I don't know about your friend, but I don't think of it as paying $15 "to stamp", I think of it as paying to learn new ideas and techniques, and paying for the entertainment of it. It's no more than I'd spend on dinner or a night at the movies, so I kind of think of it along the same lines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 07:18 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default $8????

Here in Texas, that's pretty steep for just going over and stamping. If she had projects for everyone to make, that would be different. Of course, if she's planning on serving lunch, sandwiches or pizza, then the money might be going for that. I would just call her up and ask her what the plans are. And I liked the idea someone had above about asking if you should bring a sack lunch. That might be a polite way to initiate talking about what is going to happen that day. If at the end of the conversation, your friend still doesn't want to participate in the day, she could just say that she's been having a creative block and really doesn't know what to work on and that maybe she'll go next time if there are projects to make.

That's just my 2cents. HTH.
Christine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 07:40 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

phone back and ask if you are unsure, but this sounds like an Awesome DEAL!

I'd find out if you should treat it like a Stamp-a-Stack / Do-It-Yourself!
Meaning:
cut up some white or neutral CS into sqares or rectangles in advance
(... you'll start to get the feel for why there is a charge! LOL!)
3 x3 or 2x3 and 4 x 5 1/4 plus some one inch and two inch strips should do it!
(most stamps are this size ...images, cardfronts and greetings anyways!)
If you have vellum, do some too!
Bring Black classic pad and versa if you have them to avoid waits, whip out your colored cs to versa stamp with co-ordinating images for base cards and layers and backgrounds
(... think holiday colors that you love! or get 'man' images or 'baby',
-- styles you don't normally buy)
If this is in fact, what she is planning, and you do this, you'll be sure to get your 'money's worth' and make the most of your time if it is "BRRR!" in the garage.

I'm guessing that you'll be able to get lots of images you don't have, and greetings that may still be on your wish list, so look through the catty and have a clear, but still loose plan.
PLAY!!! Even if you don't get what you expect, you still may get some amazing creative inspiration and you could prob. book a private hour later to use her sets that have caught your attention. I would allow this for any of my customers! I charge $10 bucks ~ 1 hour, and help them design a card or invites or thank-yous or whatever and they can stamp them with my inks and sets and assemble at home. Ribbon and envies and extras go on an order in advance, or that day and they can add them later.
P.S.
My other demo friends and I do this when we vist each other, to get the images we are thinking about , or that we still can't afford!

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 08:42 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

I wouldn't have a problem paying the $8. Most place charge $5-10 to use their scrapbooking area, so $8 isn't bad.

If you want to go, I would definitely call her to find out if you should bring a lunch. Maybe she just forgot to put that food/snacks are included on the invitation.

I would look at it as more of an opportunity to use all of her things more than anything else. Even if I just went and stamped different images on white cardstock, it would be worth it to me.

If your friend doesn't want to go, she can just politely decline or say she has other plans or whatever.
Reply With Quote Likes