Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What do you think of the new SU firm foam pads?

My initial reaction is - messy! They are so wet. I suppose complaining is pointless, since they are here to stay (at least for the foreseeable future), but I am going to complain nonetheless.

And if I can be commiserated with by fellow complainers, all to the good. Or perhaps consoled and made hopeful by anyone who can point out why I will grow to love the foam? That would be even better.

Oh, SU! I was all set to spring for a color caddy because I have been replacing my spots with pads and keeping my pads stacked has become a tippy business, but now I am wondering how many more I'll buy. Maybe I'll just keep reinking my spots. (And continuing to tap tap tap twenty times to ink up a background stamp.)

Sigh.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

uh, make that forty times. tap tap tap...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 847 Likes on 280 Posts

You will eventually get used to the new foam pads if not outright love them. The ink coverage you get on solid stamps is FAR, FAR superior to the old pads.

I still sometimes accidentally press too hard on the new pads and it makes things kind of messy but nothing that isn't easily cleaned up.

Just remember not to push your stamps into the pad. just tap lightly. I have made it a habit to tap once or twice, check the coverage and then tap some more if necessary.

Happy Stamping!

shellie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I find the ink much harder to get off my fingers from using the new pads as well......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

They work so much better than the old ones on solid stamps. I could never get a nice image for upsy daisy and it was the first one I tried with the new ink. The image was perfect. I won't be replacing my spots though as I really like using spots. For now I just have the new incolors. You are right though that it will take I while to adjust your stamping technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

Since I work mostly with solid stamps, I love the smooth and complete coverage. I am learning to use a much lighter touch for inking the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was impressed with them at a recent stamp show I went to. I despised the earlier ones due to the deep curve that would happen with extended use. I think there is a learning curve in not applying as much pressure as with the former pads, but overall very pleased with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I'm having problems that if I need to stamp the same image more than once, portions of the stamp will get really, really dark - not the true color. So I ended up with smotches I never had to deal with from the old style. Possibly I'm pressing too hard? Love the better coverage but HATE the spotches I can't seem to get under control.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

There's one main thing I hate about the new stamp pads...I can't afford to buy them all. Seriously I would like to replace all of my old ink pads but that's not going to happen. I've bought a few of them and I tend to use those colors more than the others just because I like the ink pads better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I LOVE them! If yours is too juicy, just blot it a bit with a paper towel and try that out. I haven't had a problem, but did notice, like JillG that the color seemed darker when I stamped it. However, it dried to the right color! Check out my video about them if you're struggling, maybe it will help. I know I had to learn what the right amount of pressure was all over again in comparison to the old pad!
Tool Time Thursday #7: New Firm Foam Stampin' Pads - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I just opened my new Crumb Cake pad and there is a weird sort of thumbprint shaped discolored section on one corner. It's lighter than the rest of the pad. And there is a jagged shallow 1/2 split in the foam What's up with that? Should I just call SU?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I just opened my new Crumb Cake pad and there is a weird sort of thumbprint shaped discolored section on one corner. It's lighter than the rest of the pad. And there is a jagged shallow 1/2 split in the foam What's up with that? Should I just call SU?
Call your demonstrator. She should be able to get it replaced for you with no problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I have no demo. I just buy on my own.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 08-16-2012 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Well, I called SU, and described the problem and the rep asked if there were any tears or marks in the other pads, and there are, but they are pretty tiny and I had just figured it was what they looked like, and I only became concerned when I saw the discoloration on the one pad. But he said he'd rather replace all the pads because there shouldn't be any tears or splits in the foam. So he is sending me out all new pads and a return form.

I am happy SU was so responsive with this.

Is anyone else seeing tears and splits in their pads?

Argh. This is a drag. I hope I come to love these pads someday. Right now it's just a case of Why Fix Something That Really Wasn't Broken!

Added later - Sarah I watched your video and I see that my pads did look faulty. Your pad was smooth and unblemished. Also the demo of the two pads was helpful. I was tending to be a tiny bit skeptical when demos raved about these pads because, after all, as a demo you want to be loyal to SU, but I did see a difference in the stamping. So thanks for making the video and for posting the link to it.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 08-16-2012 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

No problem Rachel! I'll tell you that I'll always be honest about our products!!! I'm so lucky to be a demonstrator for a company whose products I mostly rave about but I'm honest about what I've had problems with or whatever. You do know that you get a discount on the products if you choose a demo? Then that demo can get on the phone and take care of any problems you have! You shouldn't have to spend the time to fix it. I'm so so glad that you're happy with the customer service - again, I've had only GREAT things come out of talking to our Demonstrator Support, they are amazing! I was hoping the video would help some out there - I was skeptical because I had no problems with the old pads but LOVE the new ones even more! I just received the whole set of Brights and Neutrals so I'll have to check for those tears - I hadn't heard of that before so I'll be on the lookout!

Again, so so glad new pads are on their way to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Question here: are their new pads similar to the pads on Colorbox Chalk inks? I have one of those in Blackbird and I have to be much more "gentle" with it so I don't get ink on the block or the edges of the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartermrcView Post
Question here: are their new pads similar to the pads on Colorbox Chalk inks? I have one of those in Blackbird and I have to be much more "gentle" with it so I don't get ink on the block or the edges of the stamp.
Cindy - I hadn't used my Chalk inks in forever! (I started using SU! only about 2 years ago...this is why I'm having a huge sale this fall. Someone else should use it instead of me just hoarding it at my house.) Anyway, I went in my stamp room and stamped with a chalk ink and then with one of our new inks. The pads are very, very similar in my opinion. Of course, my chalk ink is older so I don't know if they've changed the pad or mine hardened but I stamped exactly the same, technique wise, with them so they are similar. The biggest difference is of course the finish, as the chalk ink looked very soft and pastel-y (like my made up word?). As I said, mine was pretty firm and I didn't really have to worry about it getting on the block at all - a bit got on the outside of the stamp but I just never press too hard (or rock the stamp) and I usually don't have problems with the "halo." Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

That video sure was a help, Sarah! Thank you for posting the link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

My initial reaction is - messy! They are so wet. I suppose complaining is pointless, since they are here to stay (at least for the foreseeable future), but I am going to complain nonetheless.

And if I can be commiserated with by fellow complainers, all to the good. Or perhaps consoled and made hopeful by anyone who can point out why I will grow to love the foam? That would be even better.

Oh, SU! I was all set to spring for a color caddy because I have been replacing my spots with pads and keeping my pads stacked has become a tippy business, but now I am wondering how many more I'll buy. Maybe I'll just keep reinking my spots. (And continuing to tap tap tap twenty times to ink up a background stamp.)

Sigh.

It took me while but I now like the new ink pads. I found them to be messy at first too. On another note I HATE the ink caddy! I felt like it did not spin well and I could never find the ink I wanted. I got rid of it and Got wall mount ones from organize more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by jozmoreView Post
It took me while but I now like the new ink pads. I found them to be messy at first too. On another note I HATE the ink caddy! I felt like it did not spin well and I could never find the ink I wanted. I got rid of it and Got wall mount ones from organize more.
Mine didn't spin well either. I put mine on a Lazy-Susan and now it works fine. I couldn't use a wall mount because I live in an apartment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Sarah, it was nice of you to do that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

I really thought the raving about the new ink pads was a lot of hype until I used them myself. They are a great improvement over the old style IMHO. My ink pads definitely had that dip in the middle and I didn't realize how much I had accommodated the poor inking until I realized the light touch needed with the new style. Yes, there is a definite adjustment, but I look forward to slowly replacing my old pads with the new. They are really that good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Anyone else experience what I did with the four I ordered? Small slits in the foam, varying from knife tip size to a half-inch long on one, and in one pad a discolored area the size of a thumbprint?

I am eager to learn to use the new ones, but will have to wait to get my replacements.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 08-17-2012 at 05:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #24  

Received 802 Likes on 326 Posts

Quote:

Anyone else experience what I did with the four I ordered? Small slits in the foam, varying from knife tip size to a half-inch long on one, and in one pad a discolored area the size of a thumbprint?

I am eager to learn to use the new ones, but will have to wait to get my replacements.
I have several of the new pads and I didn't have any slits in the foam at all. I did notice a kind of differently colored area in the stamp pad, but it stamps all the same color so I didn't worry about it.

I think they are a lot like Ancient Page stamp pads. I have several of them and they are about 15 years old. I'm hopeful that the new SU pads will last that long

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-17-2012 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #25  

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I haven't experienced the slits but if part of your pad is discolored it just might be that it isn't inked up as heavily in that area as the rest of the pad. I did some sponging and direct to paper techniques with my new pads and the areas where I was pulling the ink from ended up lighter than the rest. They still stamp just fine though. I wouldn't worry about a lighter spot unless it stamps a different color ink.

My Blog: Did You Stamp Today? | Fab Friday Challenge Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

When I called SU the rep said there should be no slits or tears or discolorations. I was only interested in having the discolored pad replaced when I called but he asked me if there were tears in the others so I checked and there were and he said that wasn't right. He said he was going to replace them all. I didn't argue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #27  

Received 802 Likes on 326 Posts

Quote:

When I called SU the rep said there should be no slits or tears or discolorations. I was only interested in having the discolored pad replaced when I called but he asked me if there were tears in the others so I checked and there were and he said that wasn't right. He said he was going to replace them all. I didn't argue!
SU has such great customer/demo support
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I didn't fall in love with the new firm foam at first, either. But the more I use them, the more I like them. I am going to slowly replace the colors I use most. I love that especially for solid images, I only have to ink a few times, rather than 20, or 40 tap, tap, taps. And I also agree that I didn't realize how much I was accommodating the old pads. I've even had to tell customers who've come to my classes to be sure to ink from the edges and corners of the inkpad, since the center tends to be drier. Well, suppose I could fix that, too, with reinkers. In any case, I really do like the firm foams now. And I hope OP gets to play with yours more and more and you'll see a difference in your images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

uh, make that forty times. tap tap tap...
Ummm just a suggestion.... what if you got a few new pads in your favorite colors, or the ones that you use the most instead of having to use the mini spots. Or get a new- will -be- used- often color for your favorite big stamps. It might save you some wear and tear on your wrists!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

That's just what I did, mayjoy! I can't afford to buy all the pads at once. I bought the colors I use most for my big background stamps. But I do find I prefer a pad to the spots in general. So I plan to replace my spots slowly, a couple at a time. I doubt I'll end up buying all the colors in pads. I don't use some of my spots very much at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

I am having a problem with bubbles showing up on the stamp after inking, and it will show on the stamped image. Anyone else have that problem? I turn the stamp upside down and ink and it seem to "stick" to the stamp pad and when I lift it off, there are the bubbles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #32  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingsilverView Post
I am having a problem with bubbles showing up on the stamp after inking, and it will show on the stamped image. Anyone else have that problem? I turn the stamp upside down and ink and it seem to "stick" to the stamp pad and when I lift it off, there are the bubbles.
I've had 'bubbles' ... but once everything dries, they're fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

i love them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

I am loving them and so are my customers. I am replacing them gradually and my customers groan when they have to use an old style ink pad at a stamp camp. Hopefully by the end of the year I will have them all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

I love the new ink pads.
#1 - darker on bigger images
#2 - any color can be used to emboss (heat)...it stays wet longer so you can use clear embossing powder on ANY color!

Great going SU!
negative: I want to replace all of my ink pads with these new ones!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalaKittyView Post
Mine didn't spin well either. I put mine on a Lazy-Susan and now it works fine. I couldn't use a wall mount because I live in an apartment.
That's what I did also - used a small turntable like Rubbermaid. Spins very nicely. I really got a deal. Found mine with extension at the Salvation Army store for $3.99. Now that's a deal.

Also, I never liked the former pads because the dried out immediately and I was forever reinking. The older pads (1998 etc) seldom dried out and I have seldom had to reink. too hard.
Sue

I have used the new ones at my demo's workshop and I liked them. She did warn of not pressing

Last edited by snowowl; 08-22-2012 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

I am having issues with my new black ink pad. It was great the first few times I used it, but now it is so dried out that I can touch the foam with my finger and hardly any comes off. Can we use the old reinkers to re-ink the new pads. I personally feel that it should have lasted a lot longer than it did. I have only had it for a month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Basic Black is one of the 5 new formulations so you need a new reinker for that color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #39  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The new ink pads don't hold as much ink, so they will get 'used up' more quickly than the other ones did. They also use more ink per impression in getting that awesome solid appearance.
For the five reformulated colours, you'll need the new refills:
Basic Black
Basic Gray
Tempting Turquoise
Marina Mist
Perfect Plum

For any other colours (like Real Red, Cajun Craze, Soft Suede ...), you can use the 'old' reinkers on the new ink pads.

You can also use the new re-inkers on any of the older pads.

Confused yet? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes