Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #1001
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I think you make a very good point. In the beginning I didn't know my style or what I liked to do so I bought some things that others used and they looked great.

For example MS glitter. Yes it looks nice, but the mess it made drove me nuts. When I finished using it I would have glitter everywhere. I bought a circle cutter only to find I used my nesties to cut circles. When Spellbinder pendants came out I liked them so much I bought several of the styles. Then I found I use the same two over and over and others just sit there.

There is nothing wrong with any of these products they were just not a good fit for me. I wish I would have had a LSS so I could have taken some classes to try things before I bought them. Classes cost money but now I think they save money in the long run
Right. I really wish I could try out some of these things before buying. I bet I would not buy 75 percent of what I have, really! The thing is, crafting is such an impulse purchase type of market, if they did that, they wouldn't sell all these things we "had to have" but just end up being glorified dust collectors!!!

And LOL about the MS glitter!!! It is soooo pretty!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #1002
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynamom View Post
Right. I really wish I could try out some of these things before buying. I bet I would not buy 75 percent of what I have, really! The thing is, crafting is such an impulse purchase type of market, if they did that, they wouldn't sell all these things we "had to have" but just end up being glorified dust collectors!!!

And LOL about the MS glitter!!! It is soooo pretty!
Very good point!!! I'll remember to tell my customers!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #1003
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caostampin View Post
The Sew Easy by WRMemory keepers. I never got it to work.
I had trouble at first, but if you put the paper on top of a mousepad, it works beautifully!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #1004
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
REALLY????? I use my ATG gun ALL THE TIME! I am mostly a card maker as well and I love my ATG!! I also use my cuttlebug folders all the time. And I feel for you, I usually have my BigShot sitting on my lap to use it!! I have a smallish work space as well. (Well if I cleared it off more often it wouldn't be so bad...but that's besides the point!)
This - I have tried so many adhesives and finally settled on solely using the ATG gun. I LOVE it. And, there's a site out there where you can get refills for $1.20 a roll. (I don't know which one - a friend ordered the bulk box).
Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #1005
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgraw01 View Post
Like you Sandi, I have discovered I use a manual die cutter WAY more than anything you plug in. Tough lesson, but I love my Big Shot.
Leah
I love my manual die cut machine (Creatopia) so much - it can take all the dies (Spellbinders, Sizzix, Cuttlebug, etc). But I do have a Slice for some electronic cutting, got like, 20 cartridges on super sale at Michaels when they were clearing out, and love it. It's 4" max size, which is perfect for cards, and I've made some banners too. I'm happy with that and don't plan on purchasing a larger electronic machine.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #1006
Stazon Splitcoast

I purchased SU's My Digital Studio when it was a super special deal, but I haven't taken the time to play with it enough to put it to use. The one time I did attempt a hybrid card for Christmas I couldn't get card stock to go through my printer and that kind of did me in with MDS. I have a new printer now that I can single feed sheets through from the back, but still haven't made myself sit down and work on using the MDS.

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #1007
Stazon Splitcoast

Home*-*The Tape Depot - TheTapeDepot.com - The One and Only Tape Superstore. We carry Adhesive Tape, ATG Tape, Conspicuity Tape, Copper Tape, Duct Tape, Camo Tape, Carton Sealing Tape, Double Coated Tape, DOT Tape, Electrical Tape, Floor Tape, Foil T is where you order 144 rolls of ATG tape and it comes out to like $1.19 per roll. I always order the big box like this because many of my friends use an ATG too. It is like $177.00 or so for the 144 rolls and it is shipped free. You can search for this company on Ebay too, that is where I buy from them.
blessings.
danalangdon likes this post.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #1008
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamphappy1650 View Post
I always wish that a stamp store offered a swap service for used stamps. You could bring in your used stamps and swap for another used set. I figured it would have a service fee like a membership and probably on get 1/2 the value of the stamp. But the drawback would be that we would probably only buy used stamps so the LSS would have trouble making a profit.

Most of our scrapbook stores have closed and I think one of the problems, in addition to the economy, is that die cut machines are affordable. Back in the day, the only die cut machines were really expensive, now we can buy what we want. I really miss the scrapbook stores because they always had the best paper designs.
When our big lss was open the owner did something close to this-we couldn't swap out our stamps but she had a huge inventory of SU stamps that she put in with the rest of the tools (Cricut, Gazelle, AccuCut dies, Sizzix, Quickutz...etc.) that customers could use. I really liked doing this instead of investing money in sets that I only liked one or two of the images. Alas! She is no longer open...we have no lss-just HL and Mike's.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #1009
Stazon Splitcoast

Patterned paper. I was just thinking about this and decided to find this thread and 'fess up. I JUST the other day bought several 6 x 6 paper pads online -- I look closely at the patterns but there are a couple that I easily could've done without . I should know better than to order them online. I'm much more discriminating in person!

I go through a discussion with myself every few months - patterned paper or make my own? I always end up seeing irresistible paper pads and then have at least a tiny amount of buyer's remorse.

And I glanced at a few answers above & I have to agree about MDS. I didn't find it intuitive, so just stopped messing with it.
artwork designed for
Inky Antics
Old 08-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #1010
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynamom View Post
You bring up a very good point for this thread. When you hear "what do you regret buying?" you start to think of the "dumb" things you have bought. BUT, some of it isn't so much that it is a "what was I thinking?" moment as it was just something that you aren't going to use. I have a BIA, too, and it was a gift. I have had it for years and have NEVER used it other than to try it out. I don't do notebooks, either. It's just not in my line of crafting interests, though I know it is a nice little gadget.
A very astute observation!!! Sometimes, at the moment, these purchases are perfectly sensible - we just end up regretting them because they don't work for us in one way or another. I'm a firm believer that no one should suffer great guilt over purchases that just don't work out. Learn from it and move on ~ the less stress, the better!

Barbara Jay also commented after your post about the MS glitter -- the mess. I thought it was me!!
artwork designed for
Inky Antics
Old 08-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #1011
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by caostampin View Post
The Sew Easy by WRMemory keepers. I never got it to work.
Same for me. I have tried everything and nothing makes it work for me.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #1012
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELSE View Post
Same for me. I have tried everything and nothing makes it work for me.
Ditto for me!

I WILL ONLY SHIP IN THE U.S.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #1013
Cardstock Collector

Default things you regret buying

I just have a question ! What is a BIA/ and a ATG ?thanks
digsmom2
Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #1014
Inking Addict

BIA:Bind-It-All
ATG-Advanced Tape Glider
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #1015
Crimping Master

Bind it All is a bit like a spiral binding machine but more compact. It punches the holes for a wire binding comb, then you can use it to crimp the comb up.

ATG can also be Adhesive Transfer Gun (different manufacturer) but it is like an oversized glue tape runner - picture a tape runner crossed with one of those packing tape dispensers they use for wrapping big boxes. It puts a line of double sided tape from a large roll onto your project and winds the backing away. No cut, sick and peel like you normally do on a large roll of DST.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #1016
Compulsive Stamper

Default Chronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcreates View Post
I don't have too many regrets, and I usually sell them once I realize I have regretted the purchase. LOL My most recent regret was alcohol inks and I have already sold them. I kind of regret buying my xyron machine. I like them, but the refills are just so expensive, even with a coupon.
Love my cricut, xyron, ATG, cuttlebug, and ALL my SU stuff
Crafter 4 Life likes this post.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #1017
Compulsive Stamper

Default Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwP View Post
The Stampin' Around wheels, without a doubt. When I first started a friend showed them to me, and I thought it was THE coolest thing EVER. So then I went to eBay and .... let's just say that I now have more than a couple and have only used one. Once.

I also have just tons of different embossing powders that I still adore, but have barely used. But they still look pretty in the little jars, so I guess it wasn't a complete waste.
Have you tried the wheel guide? Helps me keep it all straight AND I use wheels like others use background stamps or patterned paper.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #1018
Compulsive Stamper

Default Wheel guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTracy View Post
My wheel guide. Can't figure it out.
Love love love my guide. If I didn't have I would not use my wheels. I can't roll strait. Use it as a guide to roll straight. Start with large wrapping paper size and you will see how great it is.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #1019
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTracy View Post
My wheel guide. Can't figure it out.
This is me, too. I looked back at a lot of what was talked about here, and while I did have some regrets right after I bought an item but didn't use right away, most I have used since. The wheel guide I use as a ruler type of device mostly. Whenever I try to use the wheel guide for my wheels, my 'stamping' might be straight but it's seldom the way I like it (still too much of a gap between stamping runs of the wheels and no two wheels seem to be the same distance apart).

I think there are more things I regret NOT buying than those I regret buying...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #1020
Crimping Master

I regret buying the SU Water crayons and am very ahppy tht I only bought one set. I am also not happy that I bought a couple sizzix alphabet sets, they were WAY too spendy for what you got and how often I used them! I recently almost caved with the whole idea of the Spellbinder but decided after figuring out how much I would actually s pend by the time I was done, it would be a HUGE investment and mostly just for the embossed look...I have settled with my Cricut and recently purchased a CM and CTMH cartridge that has endless images. I couldn't be happier!!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #1021
Die Cut Diva

One of my few regrets was buying the Cathy Allen Position -It.
It was a total nuisance to use and took too much space on my table. I gave it to the GoodWill .
The Stamp-A Ma Jig works better and takes very little space .
Old 01-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #1022
Matboard Maniac

I hate the ATG gun. I have had so much trouble using it. The tape broke and I have no idea how to fix it. Trying to get hubby to fix it, is like pulling teeth.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #1023
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYXROCKSME View Post
I hate the ATG gun. I have had so much trouble using it. The tape broke and I have no idea how to fix it. Trying to get hubby to fix it, is like pulling teeth.
I did too... mine is sitting in the closet collecting dust. It was just too big and bulky for my small hands.

I regret buying the Nellie Snellen flower dies with presses... the punches are well made nut they do not work worth a darn.

Another one... the Tim Holtz alcohol ink markers... they dry out so fast.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #1024
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswillie65 View Post
May I ask what an ATG is??? I am definitly an addict to stuff!!! I have way too much paper, scissors (remember when they were the thing??) I have a BIA and have used it 1 time, but I do like it... hhmmm it took me a year to pull it out of the box... lol., eyelets, I never use them and have tons!!!
I also work full time and don't have a lot of time to do much,

also, anyone have a dreamkuts?? have been considering that one, have 3 fiscars cutters and none cut straight!!! also this is my first time posting anything!!!
i bought one last summer and i use it for every card i make plus for much of my scrapbooking and for cutting pieces for my stamp club. i have already gotten my $$ out of it. lov it!!
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #1025
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I regret buying the I-Top brad making machine (and lots of brad bases and the three punches). I have used it one time and I don't like how I get folds in the paper when I cover the metal brad (which is why I have only used it once). If I could eliminate the folds, I might like it and start using it.

I also regret buying the Stampress for use with rollagraph wheels. I think I can do almost the same thing with just the regular handle (except for the polymer clay part maybe). I think I used this only one time.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 01-08-2013 at 04:10 PM..
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #1026
Proud Fan Club Member

I regret a lot. First I regret my initial indiscretion in choosing stamps. Secondly I was a paper junkie as a new scrapbooker choosing wild, cute papers that work with nothing. Dew drops- why on earth did I need all those when I used about 4 in the last couple of years. SU Buttons, again I needed all of them and while scrapping boys they just were to soft and feminine. I too purchased every tool someone told me I would love. Tried many cutters but blades got costly until I finally did some research and chose one that worked. The crop-a-dile was a waste when a hammer did the same thing with less stress on joints. If I dig I'm sure I can find at least 50 more things. I do regret not getting more Making Memories mini eyelets (those teeny tiny ones). If anyone wants to get rid of them I will gladly buy them!! Love using those and lacing even though they can be difficult to set.

For people who hate the ATG I have heard this from those who purchased the smaller pink one. That big yellow one is fabulous and it's all I use for everything.

I am so glad to see that I was not the only one making thoughtless decisions in buying things. Fun thread!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #1027
Compulsive Stamper

Default ATG

I have the red ATG and zero problems, however I did learn today at michaels that I have been buying the 2 refills of acid free for 16.99 Canadian and I see they have the non acid free for 9.99 for 2 rolls! I do bathe scrapbook and cards but think I will buy the cheaper stuff for the cards and MAYBE buy a second one with acid free......of course with a coupon

Oh and I forgot to add to my LOVE list.....my dreamcuts by zutter. A necessity for all card makers....cuts so nice and even and clean.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #1028
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
I regret nothing!

Everything purchased or found becomes part of my stash.

I have such a wide variety of art interests and ideas that I cross-use materials with several mediums.

Nothing I hate more than having an idea and not having the means to create it.
I agree...one crosses over to the other...it a grab and use way of life!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #1029
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonstamper View Post
I have the red ATG and zero problems, however I did learn today at michaels that I have been buying the 2 refills of acid free for 16.99 Canadian and I see they have the non acid free for 9.99 for 2 rolls! I do bathe scrapbook and cards but think I will buy the cheaper stuff for the cards and MAYBE buy a second one with acid free......of course with a coupon

Oh and I forgot to add to my LOVE list.....my dreamcuts by zutter. A necessity for all card makers....cuts so nice and even and clean.
I agree! I love my red ATG and I've never had a problem with it. In fact I have 2 of them. I use one for acid free tape when I'm scrapbooking and the second one I keep filled with the non acid free tape for making my cards.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #1030
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYXROCKSME View Post
Are you loading it correctly? Your tape shouldn't be breaking.

And I thought I would mention that a few years ago (I can't remember exactly when) there were some ATG guns that were not functioning correctly and people having problems with them. The company was replacing those defective ATGs. If you bought yours a few years ago it could be one of the defective ones.

ETA- I just quickly looked and it was 2008 when the defective guns were out.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #1031
Gabfest Goddess

I've used the smaller red ATG for years and the only problem I ever had is when I bought an off brand of tape. I buy my tape in bulk from framingsupplies.com and never have any problem. I'm using the pink ATG now and have no problems either.

My latest regret is buying Tim Holtz Distress Markers. I thought they would be something special and I find that they are just another waterbased marker. Oh well - live and learn.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #1032
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiz2003 View Post
I regret a lot. First I regret my initial indiscretion in choosing stamps. Secondly I was a paper junkie as a new scrapbooker choosing wild, cute papers that work with nothing. Dew drops- why on earth did I need all those when I used about 4 in the last couple of years. SU Buttons, again I needed all of them and while scrapping boys they just were to soft and feminine. I too purchased every tool someone told me I would love. Tried many cutters but blades got costly until I finally did some research and chose one that worked. The crop-a-dile was a waste when a hammer did the same thing with less stress on joints. If I dig I'm sure I can find at least 50 more things. I do regret not getting more Making Memories mini eyelets (those teeny tiny ones). If anyone wants to get rid of them I will gladly buy them!! Love using those and lacing even though they can be difficult to set.

For people who hate the ATG I have heard this from those who purchased the smaller pink one. That big yellow one is fabulous and it's all I use for everything.

I am so glad to see that I was not the only one making thoughtless decisions in buying things. Fun thread!
What cutter did you end up buying?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #1033
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiz2003 View Post

I have tons of those eyelets. Still want them? I do not know how to email you separately.
Judi
Old 09-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #1034
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcdonough View Post
What cutter did you end up buying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiz2003

Read more: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/what-do-you-regret-buying-t366771.html#post20330248#ixzz2eMxSO8xi
I too was wondering what cutter you decided on.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #1035
Cardstock Collector

Default Regrets

I regret buying the foam backing for unmounted stamps. It became gummy and made my stamps difficult to use. I plan to unmount them, give them a good cleaning, and mount them with double-stick tape in the future.
jenatvvfm likes this post.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:10 AM   #1036
Matboard Maniac

No regrets. I'm into layouts, mixed media and other 3-D stuff which becomes very expensive. Enjoy detailed handwork. Won't buy low quality materials or stash ephemera. Impulse buying is no longer in my budget, so careful shopping prevails. Between a M's coupon and a deal at Amazon, got my wonderful Sizzix Vagabond, plus the black and pink Big Shot for $196.00 total. Dies are bought on major sales, as are pricey items like OttLites. Other purchases revolve around working with themes and colors I don't tire of. That gives extra mileage to consumables. I'd love to have a digital cutter like the KNK Air Maxx or Silver Bullet for design purposes, but that would definitely be a regrettable purchase at present. It wouldn't get enough use to justify the high cost.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #1037
Gallery Gazer

Tooooo many things! Just because they were on sale...
Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #1038
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizelabella View Post
I regret buying the SU Water crayons and am very ahppy tht I only bought one set.
I love my SU watercolor crayons. I especially like to take them to retreats -- very compact way to transport all the colors with me. Love that I can color directly on the rubber and spritz with water, or scribble some on a craft sheet like a palette, spritz, and dip my brush in to it to watercolor.
TeeGeeDee likes this post.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #1039
Mad Swapper

I can hardly believe this thread is still alive after FIVE years! LOL!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #1040
Compulsive Stamper

I regret unmounting my wood SU stamps. Agree w/ previous poster about how gummy they are now which makes them difficult to use. With the latest redesign of the wood cases I'm may give wood stamps another try. The stamps won't fall off like my clear mount stamps have the tendency to do.