Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to emboss?

I am new to stamping but so far I am loving it and adding it to my other paper craft skills. For my birthday I received an Emboss heat gun thing, an emboss tray and some powder. Now I need to know what ink to use with it. I know you have to use special ink but when I have taken a class the instructor provided the ink and I can't find my notes. So, please tell me what kind of ink for both the clear powder and the color powder. And do I need to purchase anything else.

I am sorry if this is already somewhere else on the forum but the search function came up with so many hits that I gave up after reading several.

Ironically, my title at the moment is Embossing Fanatic and I can't figure it out.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You need pigment ink -- it stays wet. Versamark is clear ink and will emboss but since you only have clear embossing powder, you will probably want some colors.

Encore makes silver and gold and that's nice around the holidays. just google pigment inks and you'll find tons. SU makes a huge selection (they call it Craft ink), Colorbox, and most ink manufacturers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 12:17 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

So, I may have the right ink. sorry, I wasn't clear--I have colored and clear powders and a tray to pour the powder over so I can pour it back. How do I know if I have the right ink? Will it say Pigment Ink on it somewhere (sorry, I really am clueless about this). I will check my ink stash and see if it says this. To use the colored powder I want the Versamark clear ink pad? Is that correct? I appreciate the input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

You can't emboss dye inks, chalk inks and StazOn inks, because they soak into the paper very quickly, the powder is not going to stick.
Just try some of the inks and powders you have on scraps. It is a fun technique. I use it a lot, especially if I want to watercolor the image. The embossed lines are water proof.
As Joan suggested, gold and silver look very festive on Holiday cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 12:42 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Test the ink. just stamp on a piece of scrap paper. Wait 10 seconds and touch it. If it is still wet, it is probably pigment ink.

Stamp the image with your pigment ink. Then take your embossing powder and pour over it. Take the paper and dump the powder back onto the tray (I prefer to use a folded piece of leftover magazine paper). You should get most of your embossing powder back in the jar.

You should be left with a piece of stamped paper that has the embossing powder stuck to the stamped image. If not, then it wasn't pigment ink. Once you have the image, heat up the embossing gun. Be careful. It is HOT. I like to emboss over a wooden cutting board, but desperate times call for creativity! Just make sure you don't burn down the house.

Move the heat gun over the image. Don't get too close to the image. STay a few inches away at least. The image will turn shiny. Practice a few times and you'll see how it works.

Very important: UNPLUG the heat gun. I never leave mine plugged unless I am actually using it. Not for one minute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 01:53 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Nope not a silly question I did a forum a while back asking about the different types of inks.. Because man you walk into a LSS you go :O at the various types.. colors.. Here is the site that was recommended to me HTH

http://netnet.net/~cloud9/newbie/nc_inks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 04:22 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I hadn't done much embossing but decided I need to get some done for the holidays. After a lot of experimenting to get the hang of it, I have a tip. I found if I just used the heat gun from the top of the paper it might blow a few specks outside of the image I had put the embossing powder on. Once the heat hit those tiny specks they were there forever. What I found worked best for me was to use the heat gun from the bottom side of the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 04:49 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

here's a trick:

if all you have are dye inks, do NOT despair.

Stamp in Versamark then stamp in whatever dye ink you want to use, then emboss with Clear,or even color powder for a deeper look.

also, if you do not have an embossing buddy, get one. this reduces the static on the paper so the powder won't stick anywhere but where you have stamped. you can get them at any craft store, or some people have used a used dryer sheet. I have mine from Stampin' Up!.

Oh,and ummm.. make sure you put the lid on the powder jar BEFORE turning on the gun. trust me on this.....:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 07:08 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

The embossing buddy is your friend. It sounds like you have already gotten some great advice here. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Thank you for the great tips. And I had to chuckle out loud at the 'make sure you put the lid on' ---I could envision what would happen if you don't. EEK. Sorry you had to experience that one. And the buddy thing---I'll have to figure out how to get one of those. Great ideas. And I have never heard of trying to go underneath, but hey I'll try it. Tonight I am firing up my heat gun and giving it a try, with the ink I have. You are all wonderful for sharing.

I'm off to read all about ink--thanks for the link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Another tip: I always keep a TINY paintbrush handy so I can brush off any stray specs BEFORE heating (even if I use my X-static, which must be the same as the Embossing Buddy).

I also keep a Versamark Pen handy to touch up spots.

Oh, and you CAN emboss with dye ink if you have Transcendence Powder. :-) TAC sells it and it even works with Palettes, dyes, etc. You *do* have to work faster than with Versamark or pigments, though. ;-)

HTH! HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And never, never look into the gun whilst it is blowing hot air especially if you have a contact in your eye and you have been imbibing Appletinis at a scrap retreat! long night and long story....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

"And never, never look into the gun whilst it is blowing hot air "

OUCH!!!
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

appletinis + embossing Gun = bad juJu.

Roger. Noted.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by piedpipurrView Post
I hadn't done much embossing but decided I need to get some done for the holidays. After a lot of experimenting to get the hang of it, I have a tip. I found if I just used the heat gun from the top of the paper it might blow a few specks outside of the image I had put the embossing powder on. Once the heat hit those tiny specks they were there forever. What I found worked best for me was to use the heat gun from the bottom side of the paper.
Aren't you clever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

turn of the ceiling fan before embossing.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Wow, you all have wonderful tips :rolleyes: No consumption of alcoholic beverages (check), No looking at the gun directly (check) especially for wearers of contact lenses (check), don't turn the ceiling fan on (check), Don't leave the jar open (check), um, I know there was something else I need to remember. I didn't get a chance to play tonight--I am having to make a shrug and um, I was not drinking, did not look the sewing machine directly in the eye, didn't have the ceiling fan on, etc but I royally boo booed so yeah, spent too much time trying to rectify that one. So, perhaps tomorrow I can play with the stamps and the heat gun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

How do I not get powder where I don't want it? I tried the dryer sheet but that didn't seem to work? Does it depend on the type of paper? I really want to use embossing for my Christmas cards but now I am worried. Does it matter what type of paper you use? Please help me. I have spent all this money on stamp stuff and if I buy Christmas cards I am going to be hung up by my toenails. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 02:33 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I never use a dryer sheet. I prefer smooth cardstock (havy weight copy paper,...)
I stamp, put the powder on, remove the excess by tapping the cardstock edge on the table (on a sheet of paper, so that I can put it back in the container). If there is anything left on the stamped cardstock, I remove it with a fine paint brush, or flick with my finger to the back of the card. Embossing powder sticks to fingerprints too.
You can also heat it from underneath, so the powder won't be blown around.
Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Perhaps that was my problem with the last attempt---so something heavier, smooth--guess I will be heading to my local stamp store again. I am in need of a nice navy blue cardstock for my card--or burgundy---and perhaps they will have what I need. I'll try from the bottom too. It looks so beautiful that I really want to perfect this technique. Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Another thing I do is wrap a piece of aluminum foil onto a piece of stiff cardboard which makes the melting process quicker. I also have a piece of wood that I use so that I don't burn the surface I'm embossing on. I'm with Stampingmathilda in using a fine paint brush to get the pesky strays that don't flick off. Sometimes if it is particularly dry I actually dip the brush in water and wipe most of it off and just pick them off. Hope this helps. Lots of great ideas! Like the embossing from the bottom idea as well, but I don't do it very often. I just have to tell someone and your are my someones. My husband just bought me the Milwaukee heat tool and I LOVE IT! Best one I've ever had. There, now that's out of my system! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Default And don't...

...use your self-healing mat when embossing or it will warp. Another one found out the hard way (didn't know the gun got that hot!). :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I use the aluminum foil too, it helps but you can't blow from the bottom then. Also I just use corn starch that I put in the foot of a pair of panty hose that I cut out. Works really good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: In my stamp room, stamping, painting, and gluing... with the dogs playing under my feet....

I stumbled on this thread and have gotten a kick out of it, plus some great ideas. (Hmmmmm, appletinis.....)

Here are my thoughts: I have embossed with virtually every kind of ink - including Stazon - except for Versafine and Ancient Page, which dry virtually instantly. I've had no trouble at all with any of the inks I've tried, including chalk and pigment. In fact, if you stamp something on your project and then are going to stamp something else that you want to emboss, heat set the ink that you don't want to emboss or you will be amazed... some inks stay damp and will hold EP for quite a while, even when they "seem" dry to the touch, and you might end up embossing something you didn't want to. (Been there, done that.)

Lately, I've been using a lot of ColorBox (which I get at JoAnn's and Michael's) cuz I got them on sale and had coupons to boot. The trick is to get yourself set up and organized and then sprinkle the powder as soon as you stamp. I set up the paper I'm going to shake onto (just fold it in half and set it under the edge of my mat, get my ink and stamp, play around with the stamp to figure out exactly where I want it (so it's perfectly level or centered), and then uncap the EP but set it some place close enough to reach for but not where I can knock it over.:rolleyes: Learned THAT the hard way too LOL. Once you sprinkle the powder and shake off the extra, you can then take a minute to put the rest back in the jar, cover your ink, and then take some time to dust off and touch up the area that is going to be embossed. The go for it!:-D

I have it but never bother with one of those tray things. Like someone else already mentioned, I also find glossy paper, like from a magazine or glossy ad in the newspaper, or scrap paper to be very efficient for shaking embossing powder onto. It's free, and when you're done, it goes right back into the recycle box.

My most important tool is something several others have mentioned as well -- a small paintbrush to clear away extra powder from places it doesn't belong. Once you dust with powder, it's worth it to spend a minute or two "cleaning it up" and even touching up with a little bit of powder if some area didn't get dusted well enough. Remember, once you heat it up, if there was powder where it shouldn't have been, it's there forever. Someone else mentioned fingerprints.... I also wash my hands because just rubbing your hand over your forehead or running your fingers through your hair gets enough body oil on your fingers to transfer to your card to make a mess with EP. (There's a bathroom next to my stamp room.... lucky me!)

The best thing to do is play. Practice makes perfect, and you'll get a sense of how different papers, different inks, and different powders work with each other. I usually run a test on a small scrap before I ever stamp or emboss directly on a card, just to be sure. Saves tossing a lot of almost finished projects because of a silly goof when the card is almost done.

I'm a fan of clear embossing powder and I use it a lot on images and sentiments. It makes a sentiment or greeting stand out and it's very helpful if you're going to be painting an image. But mark the jar covers... clear ep and white ep look alike when they are just sitting on the work table in the jar, and I've been known to grab the wrong one with disastrous results, and that was WITHOUT appletinis.

Also, experiment! I mixed clear and white to get a white that wasn't as dramatic, and also white and iridescent for more subtle snowflakes. But mark your jar covers and bottles!

I got a stamp buddy and it worked well until it didn't. This week, out of the blue, it started leaking powder through the fabric all over my card. So what's up with that!!!???!!!!

Powder sticks to paper mostly because of static electricity/static cling and there are many ways to deal with that. At the very least, keeping the air moist is helpful (if you have forced hot air heat, you may need to humidify the air - a vase of fresh flowers works well!! :p) Mostly, I just pin a safety pin on my clothing. You need to put it somewhere where it's going to touch your skin, like the side seam of your blouse. If it's really bad and my clothes are really clingy, I spray ME with static stuff (forget the name of it... orange cap, navy can...) or I'll rub my hands over a used (not new, unused) dryer sheet. New ones have chemical and if you rub them on your paper or plastic tray, the powder will stick like mad. But the used ones have just enough anti-cling property left to be helpful. I find that if I just reduce the overall static electricity in the area, I don't have major issues with powder sticking and what little bit does stick can be tapped off or blown off (just blow on it, don't use the heat gun!). And use a paint brush as needed for fine work.

Ditto, ditto, ditto, about NOT embossing on your self-healing mat. I destroyed one. :( I use an old wooden TV tray to emboss on. My heat tool is making scary noises... I'm going to look into the Milwaukee. Thanks for those hints, Shari!

Good luck, and let us all know how it goes!

Cathy in Massachusetts

Last edited by Seaside Rose; 12-03-2008 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside RoseView Post
I stumbled on this thread and have gotten a kick out of it, plus some great ideas. (Hmmmmm, appletinis.....)

Here are my thoughts: I have embossed with virtually every kind of ink - including Stazon - except for Versafine and Ancient Page, which dry virtually instantly. I've had no trouble at all with any of the inks I've tried, including chalk and pigment. In fact, if you stamp something on your project and then are going to stamp something else that you want to emboss, heat set the ink that you don't want to emboss or you will be amazed... some inks stay damp and will hold EP for quite a while, even when they "seem" dry to the touch, and you might end up embossing something you didn't want to. (Been there, done that.)

Lately, I've been using a lot of ColorBox (which I get at JoAnn's and Michael's) cuz I got them on sale and had coupons to boot. The trick is to get yourself set up and organized and then sprinkle the powder as soon as you stamp. I set up the paper I'm going to shake onto (just fold it in half and set it under the edge of my mat, get my ink and stamp, play around with the stamp to figure out exactly where I want it (so it's perfectly level or centered), and then uncap the EP but set it some place close enough to reach for but not where I can knock it over.:rolleyes: Learned THAT the hard way too LOL. Once you sprinkle the powder and shake off the extra, you can then take a minute to put the rest back in the jar, cover your ink, and then take some time to dust off and touch up the area that is going to be embossed. The go for it!:-D

I have it but never bother with one of those tray things. Like someone else already mentioned, I also find glossy paper, like from a magazine or glossy ad in the newspaper, or scrap paper to be very efficient for shaking embossing powder onto. It's free, and when you're done, it goes right back into the recycle box.

My most important tool is something several others have mentioned as well -- a small paintbrush to clear away extra powder from places it doesn't belong. Once you dust with powder, it's worth it to spend a minute or two "cleaning it up" and even touching up with a little bit of powder if some area didn't get dusted well enough. Remember, once you heat it up, if there was powder where it shouldn't have been, it's there forever. Someone else mentioned fingerprints.... I also wash my hands because just rubbing your hand over your forehead or running your fingers through your hair gets enough body oil on your fingers to transfer to your card to make a mess with EP. (There's a bathroom next to my stamp room.... lucky me!)

The best thing to do is play. Practice makes perfect, and you'll get a sense of how different papers, different inks, and different powders work with each other. I usually run a test on a small scrap before I ever stamp or emboss directly on a card, just to be sure. Saves tossing a lot of almost finished projects because of a silly goof when the card is almost done.

I'm a fan of clear embossing powder and I use it a lot on images and sentiments. It makes a sentiment or greeting stand out and it's very helpful if you're going to be painting an image. But mark the jar covers... clear ep and white ep look alike when they are just sitting on the work table in the jar, and I've been known to grab the wrong one with disastrous results, and that was WITHOUT appletinis.

Also, experiment! I mixed clear and white to get a white that wasn't as dramatic, and also white and iridescent for more subtle snowflakes. But mark your jar covers and bottles!

I got a stamp buddy and it worked well until it didn't. This week, out of the blue, it started leaking powder through the fabric all over my card. So what's up with that!!!???!!!!

Powder sticks to paper mostly because of static electricity/static cling and there are many ways to deal with that. At the very least, keeping the air moist is helpful (if you have forced hot air heat, you may need to humidify the air - a vase of fresh flowers works well!! :p) Mostly, I just pin a safety pin on my clothing. You need to put it somewhere where it's going to touch your skin, like the side seam of your blouse. If it's really bad and my clothes are really clingy, I spray ME with static stuff (forget the name of it... orange cap, navy can...) or I'll rub my hands over a used (not new, unused) dryer sheet. New ones have chemical and if you rub them on your paper or plastic tray, the powder will stick like mad. But the used ones have just enough anti-cling property left to be helpful. I find that if I just reduce the overall static electricity in the area, I don't have major issues with powder sticking and what little bit does stick can be tapped off or blown off (just blow on it, don't use the heat gun!). And use a paint brush as needed for fine work.

Ditto, ditto, ditto, about NOT embossing on your self-healing mat. I destroyed one. :( I use an old wooden TV tray to emboss on. My heat tool is making scary noises... I'm going to look into the Milwaukee. Thanks for those hints, Shari!

Good luck, and let us all know how it goes!

Cathy in Massachusetts

That's funny, Cathy, I emboss with my VersaFine onyx pad almost every single day! It's my favorite pad for embossing line images. I use clear ep over it, then watercolor. It works perfectly every time!!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: In my stamp room, stamping, painting, and gluing... with the dogs playing under my feet....

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
I emboss with my VersaFine onyx pad almost every single day! It's my favorite pad for embossing line images. I use clear ep over it, then watercolor. It works perfectly every time!!
I'll have to give it another try! It has not worked for me in the past but maybe I wasn't being as organized about it as am now that I've been doing this a while. I agree, the Versafine does a fab job with line images, and fine line images especially, and I love it for that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Great tips!!! Love embossing, but am scared of it from prior experiences. I think this will help...and thanks, Franb63 for the site. Lots of good tips there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Another word to the wise...DO NOT emboss or use glitter while there is a cat on your stampin' table.

I love Versamark for embossing and for the fact that if you have Versamark you have every color of ink that you have card stock, just a touch darker. I also am a fan of SU! craft inks, nice and wet, no need to rush.

I also hold down the image with a wooden chopstick so I don't burn myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I enjoy embossing. Here 2 more embossing tips that I do:
1. Use a wooden clothes pin for holding my paper when using the heat gun.
2. I place a coffee filter on the embossing tray. I sprinkle the embossing powder and/or glitter over the coffee filter. Provides me with better control and cleanup is great. Just pour the powder and/or glitter from the coffee filter back into your original storage container.

Have fun embossing and God bless you, Lolita29
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 03:01 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

....I got very confused when I started stamping/embossing with all the differing ink pads too. For myself I mostly do stamp with Versarmark (clear) inkpad, and emboss with the coloured embossing powder (mostly gold or black but certainly other colours too).

If you have coloured pigment inks you can experiment stamping with those and using your clear embossing powders. I just don't seem to have as much success with the pigment inks as I do the versamark for good looking embossing results.

Try doing some samples to have on hand and mark on them what you used for references. Once you've got it happening you'll be thrilled with the results. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 05:48 AM   #31  

I use coffee filters too because the EP doesn't stick to it. I also put my most often used EP into a plastic container rather than try to put it back into a bottle. I put a piece of cardstock in with it to scoop the powder over my card. Works great for me. Also try using a metal tray to emboss on. It makes the paper heat up a bit quicker since the bottom is getting hot too. I agree, can't emphasize enough to cover your EP before you heat your work. LOL Try a pinch of glitter while re-embossing and it's almost like fairy dust in the air. Very cool but a bit messy. I think everyone needs to experience that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I read somewhere (on SCS I think!) to use disposable "tupperware" sandwich containers for your embossing powder. I keep one for each color of powder with a plastic spoon inside. i just hold my card over the container, scoop some powder up with the spoon and dump the extra back into the container. No scrap paper or trays required! Its much less messy, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 AM   #33  
Embossing Fanatic

Since the Embossing Buddy leaves some white powder on dark cardstock sometimes, I've used Swiffer sheets lately to destatic my cardstock. I just cut the Swiffer sheet up into smaller squares.

I don't have dryer sheets any more -- stopped buying and using them in the dryer cause the waxy solution on them (feel a new one - it's kinda waxy) built up around part of the inside of the dryer and as time goes on, that build up gets scorched and I kept getting these scorch lines a couple inches long on light colored clothes (i guess as some of it would come off onto the clothes as they rubbed against the ring in the back of the dryer). Took me a LONNNG time to figure out where those lines on my clothes came from. After figured out problem - eventually got new dryer, have never used dryer sheets in it -- no more problem with scorch lines.
Seaside Rose, the spray for clothes (orange cap, blue can) is Static Guard. I use it too - I turn slacks inside out and spray the especially at bottom and also spray my socks which I already have on - can't stand for pants to stick to socks!!! And lately, been spraying my nightgowns since I don't use the dryer sheets anymore!

I also agree -- for embossing:
1. Versamark ink and then colored embossing powder
or
2. Pigment ink (choose desired color of pigment ink) and clear embossing powder. Stampin' Up!'s pigment ink is their Craft ink. Most pigment ink pads say "pigment ink" on them (and dye ones say dye).

Side Note - if you're using craft (pigment) ink and NOT embossing - you need to set it aside and let it dry. I know some people heat set it with heat gun (ie., just heat, no embossing powder -- I usually plan ahead and set it aside overnight to dry. Craft (pigment) ink will give a more vivid color -- i.e., white pigment ink on red cardstock will be more white than white dye ink on red cardstock (but not as bright as when you emboss). All depends on how vivid you want it.

3. I think you can ink your stamp with Versamark and then ink it in a dye ink pad and then stamp. Have read that the Versamark ink won't hurt your dye ink pad. Then emboss with clear.

4. Versamark ink is good to have because you can ink your stamp with Versamark ink and then stamp say a flower background all over your cardstock. It gives a subtle watermark effect - the image is same color as your background cardstock but a little darker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Wendy and StampinMomma, what fab ideas for the EP. I especially like the idea of a larger plastic container and a spoon to sprinkle the powder over the card. Also, I am definitely going to try that idea of using a little glitter as fairy dust. I sent DH off to Wal-Mart to get me some more EP the other night and he came home with (GULP) GLITTER. And not just GLITTER, but $40 worth of Martha Stewart's very fine, very pretty glitter, which would have been great if I ever used glitter LOL.

Love this man, but unless I actually cut and paste a picture of a container and send him to the store with a visual, I don't usually get what I've asked for. Ya think I'd learn.......

Wonderful, wonderful ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen CashonView Post
Since the Embossing Buddy leaves some white powder on dark cardstock sometimes, I've used Swiffer sheets lately to destatic my cardstock. I just cut the Swiffer sheet up into smaller squares.
Oh, what a GREAT idea. I'll try that. My Embossing Buddy left more than a little powder on my card stock. All of a sudden, it was like it was a powder puff!

Quote:

I don't have dryer sheets any more ....... Seaside Rose, the spray for clothes (orange cap, blue can) is Static Guard. I use it too....
Yep, that's the stuff. I was having a brain cramp and was too exhausted to haul my butt out of bed and go into the bathroom and check LOL.

I rarely use dryer sheets anymore... mostly with DH's undershirts and the kids jeans. What I use are two round rubber (of some sort) balls that have spikes - they look like mini sputniks. You throw those in the dryer and there is no static in your clothes when you pull them out to fold them. I especially love these for towels since any kind of softener makes towels less absorbent.

Got them in a discount store some place months ago, wish I could remember where.... they are very "green".... they last forever and take the place of softener and softener sheets forever and are virtually indestructable, even if your dog gets a hold of them. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 11:37 PM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Oh wow!! You are all so wonderful to share your advice. I keep hoping that "today is the day to play" but not working out--son had a bad tooth--off to emergency dentist---now he's sick---and then just found out my inlaws are coming much sooner than I planned and I have half painted walls, need to get my Christmas in the mail, etc. but I am so going to play after I get the last couple gifts, get them mailed and finish the painting. (or at least that is the plan). I do like the idea of the containers for the powder--seems much simpler. And just like everything I have been learning---going to need to do some practicing.

Thanks again--and thank you all for not being too embarassed to share your mistakes---hopefully I will remember them all and not do any of them---but I can't promise on that. And oh yes, no kittens near stamping stuff. I have learned that one the hard way too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 01:24 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
And never, never look into the gun whilst it is blowing hot air especially if you have a contact in your eye and you have been imbibing Appletinis at a scrap retreat! long night and long story....
Hmmm Appletinis you say?? I bet it was a long night after looking at that thing.. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

And never, never, NEVER leave your nesties sitting in an open box on a futon next to a sleeping puppy. Puppies wake up. Nesties make expensive chew toys. I'm embarrassed to tell you I had to replace 5 sets. All that money I could have spent on stamps, and EP, and DP, and bling >,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Do you use the embossing buddy before you stamp with whatever ink you use or after stamping? I've always used it before the initial stamping but I recently saw a video and the gal used it after she had stamped with her Versamark. I would think that the powder from the embossing buddy would make the ink less wet and therefore less EP would be able to stick to it.

Here is my gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

I was told to use the Embossing Buddy, then stamp, then powder. The other way seems wrong like you said---hmmmm
Reply With Quote Likes