Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy first?

I was wondering--if you could buy a company's entire collection of one thing, what would you get? All their inks? All shades of paper? All shades of ribbon? Or would you spend as much as you could on stamps? Perhaps punches?

I ask because I tend to buy things piece by piece, and end up with clutter all over the place. I was thinking that I should somehow buy things in a more organized way with a plan on how to store stuff.

It's kind like what came first, the chicken or the egg? I lean towards ordering the inks first.

Thoughts?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would cheat, lol, and look for their "assortment" packs. Can't speak for other companies, but Stampin' Up! for instance has all their Classic inks available as a set of 1" spots, their cardstock available in family assortment packs, etc....

So, if you were going SU stuff, I'd say get the spots and one pack each of the color family cardstocks. If you were going some other company, I imagine they have similar options, I just don't know what they are...

Enjoy this time of feeling organized, lol...try to stretch it out as long as possible. This stuff has a way of invading your space before you know it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

MSBetsyZ! I have a small space and I try not to go out of control, or else I might never see my husband. Hee hee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I would cheat, lol, and look for their "assortment" packs. Can't speak for other companies, but Stampin' Up! for instance has all their Classic inks available as a set of 1" spots, their cardstock available in family assortment packs, etc....
I'd lean that way, too.

Quote:

So, if you were going SU stuff, I'd say get the spots and one pack each of the color family cardstocks. If you were going some other company, I imagine they have similar options, I just don't know what they are...

Enjoy this time of feeling organized, lol...try to stretch it out as long as possible. This stuff has a way of invading your space before you know it!
*chuckle* Ain't that the truth! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 12:24 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I have almost all SU. I pretty much have all the colors of ink and paper I'm interested in. About 30 colors (including neutrals).
I'm good on ribbon. It comes from all over, not just stampin up. I really stocked up the last few months or my vote would have been ribbon.
I started out with the paper and ink (full pads) I liked, but verrrrrrry slowly. It's taken me about four years, as for a long time I only spent about $15.00 a month. Lately it's been about $50.00 a month.
I don't know if there is a good way to organize buying. I basically bought a stamp set one month and then some paper and ink the next.
I guess if I could buy a whole collection right now it would be nesties, copics, or the rest of the SU punches I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 01:56 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

My life didn't feel complete til I had all the four complete SU ink pads. I'm working on the 09 in colors and nuetrals now. For me, once that first 48 was achieved I could breathe and now enjoy buying the variety packs and occasional full one color packs as needed for a special project. Just knowing I have all the inks means I can pick and choose paper as I'd like or need. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

I started with a few stamp sets that were versatile and asst packs of SU paper and their markers then added stamp pads slowly. Since I had the markers, I could color the stamps with them (instead of ink pads) until I had all the colors I needed. I added punches, dies, etc as I had the extra $$$. I buy from all over tho....whoever has a good price or awesome product!
I also have a small space (which I am currently re-organizing, I will post pics soon!). The key is keep it organized or else it will feel like a chore just to make a card. I invested alot in clear storage container and a label maker!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 04:11 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Personally I love Papertrey Ink for their cardstock, ribbon and ink. The cardstock is extremely sturdy and the ink is hybrid so it can work on all sorts of materials. They have a Sampler pack of some of their colors. They also offer their inks in cubes for only $2 each. I started choosing my fave colors and got the cube, one roll of ribbon and a pack of paper. For only $8 you cannot go wrong!

Plus their stamps are just fantastic! Beautiful, versatile images that stamp great and storage is a breeze since they are stored in CD cases. So you have more room for even more goodies. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:11 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started buying wildly and soon found out a little of this and that got me nowhere...I then went to spots, dew drops and assorted packs of cardstocks and inks...

Much easier to use and if I had to do it over, I would do all SU, then TAC and PTI...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycrunchymamaView Post
Personally I love Papertrey Ink for their cardstock, ribbon and ink. The cardstock is extremely sturdy and the ink is hybrid so it can work on all sorts of materials. They have a Sampler pack of some of their colors. They also offer their inks in cubes for only $2 each. I started choosing my fave colors and got the cube, one roll of ribbon and a pack of paper. For only $8 you cannot go wrong!

Plus their stamps are just fantastic! Beautiful, versatile images that stamp great and storage is a breeze since they are stored in CD cases. So you have more room for even more goodies. ;)
I'm with you, Susan! I love the coordinating colors of inks, papers, stamps, buttons, and ribbons. So glad I found PTI...have been stocking up since March and loving every single purchase. And every month they introduce new goodies that are jaw-droppingly amazing and inspirational. I am in love with the new notepads and Take Note stamp set introduced last month. Can't make enough of them. Everyone loves getting them as gifts.

Last edited by lifemoments; 11-12-2009 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I have to agree with PTI, I really like their paper better than SU!.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post

I did this too and I'm glad I did. But then I started with figuring out one card I would like to make and buy all of the supplies for that, then later another card and so on. Pretty soon you'll have lots of stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

I have to admit I am still very eclective about the way I buy my crafting stuff so this is a very hard question for me.

If I could buy just one thing from a company it would either be their full range of embellishments ( I think they add so much to a card) or if the company were Spellbinder's I would buy their whole collection of Nestabilities!

Susan
http://www.cardmaking-companion.com
Reply With Quote Likes