Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree222Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #281
Rubber Obsessor

I started making my own envelopes also. I got tired of buying something that just went in the trash. As a daycare provider I take leftovers from my families companies and one of these was reams of letterhead that they were getting rid of. It's a speckled bond paper and makes great envelopes. I probably wouldn't mail these because they are thin but works perfect for daycare and close family.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #282
Stazon Splitcoast

subbing so I can come back and read all the great tips later.
2014 100 in 100 Challenge round #2 40/100
Old 04-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #283
Rubber Obsessor

Default Using leftover rubber/foam from stamps

"When I'm mounting unmounted rubber stamps, I save all the excess bits of mounting foam (back onto the backing paper it came on) and use as dimensional dots. Why throw away something that I can use?"--contrapat

I have done this too. With the rubber still on the foam, and the backing intact, I've even used my Crop-a-dile to punch out little circles. Peel off the rubber and backing, and you have neat little dimensionals.
Now this is putzy, but I wanted to see if it would work. I took a block of wood, varnished it, and worked out a grid of dots on it. I then took the punched rubber dots(on foam) and stuck them on the dot grid, making my own polka dot background stamp. It worked! You do have to be super careful cleaning it though, so you don't unstick any dots. I've also just cut up the foam-backed rubber and stuck it onto a block of wood mosaic-style, to make an unique background stamp.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #284
Stazon Splitcoast

i will start making my own envelopes what a great idea, more money for stamps lol
Old 04-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #285
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Denise View Post
Gosh these are great!
I've already taken advantage of one of the recipes for stamp cleaner! So glad I did since I spilt an almost brand new bottle of store bought (sob) and I will have to try using cardboard for dimensionals! I am running low and was fretting about buying some. This sounds like a great option.

I use flat rate boxes to store my 12 x 12 papers in. They are sturdy and if I decide I don't like or need them, I can recycle the cardboard for something else.

I also make my own envelopes these days. it is helping me to start using up that pile of DP I don't really care for that comes in the packs but I can't bring myself to toss. They make great envelopes. I use wrapping paper, colored copy paper and newspaper depending on what I am doing. Obviously if I mail it I use a sturdier paper. Everyone loves the envelopes almost as much as the cards!

Right now I am saving cans to make myself pen storage. I just don't have the money to spend on a store bought one. I figure some tin cans, metal or hot glue and spray paint ... I have what I need ... and if I don't like it, again I can toss into the recycle can.

Anyway - I appreciate all the great ideas even more so since they are saving me $$$$!
such a great idea to use up that pattern paper will have to try.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #286
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkitty View Post
"When I'm mounting unmounted rubber stamps, I save all the excess bits of mounting foam (back onto the backing paper it came on) and use as dimensional dots. Why throw away something that I can use?"--contrapat

I have done this too. With the rubber still on the foam, and the backing intact, I've even used my Crop-a-dile to punch out little circles. Peel off the rubber and backing, and you have neat little dimensionals.
Now this is putzy, but I wanted to see if it would work. I took a block of wood, varnished it, and worked out a grid of dots on it. I then took the punched rubber dots(on foam) and stuck them on the dot grid, making my own polka dot background stamp. It worked! You do have to be super careful cleaning it though, so you don't unstick any dots. I've also just cut up the foam-backed rubber and stuck it onto a block of wood mosaic-style, to make an unique background stamp.
uoy can also die cit the rubber for making your own stamps. shapes/shadows are great
Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #287
Die Cut Diva

"Make do" is my middle name LOL
I made some punch flowers and wanted to sponge the edges of the petals . However I didn't have the color of ink pad I needed, but I did have a Memento marker that color. . I found that I could rub the edge of the marker nib on the sponge and it works just as well as if I had tapped it on an ink pad.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #288
Stampin' Fool

Thank you! That is a great tip!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #289
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
"I did have a Memento marker that color. . I found that I could rub the edge of the marker nib on the sponge and it works just as well as if I had tapped it on an ink pad.
I've done this too. You can even step it up a notch - I wanted to colour an embossing folder but didn't have the ink pad. I scribbled the marker onto my brayer and then brayered onto the folder, worked perfectly! I've attached the pic so you can see how it did - it's Memento Angel Pink so it's pretty subtle but hopefully you can still see!
Attached Thumbnails
sewspecial.jpg  

My blog
Old 04-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #290
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnorth View Post
I've done this too. You can even step it up a notch - I wanted to colour an embossing folder but didn't have the ink pad. I scribbled the marker onto my brayer and then brayered onto the folder, worked perfectly! I've attached the pic so you can see how it did - it's Memento Angel Pink so it's pretty subtle but hopefully you can still see!
Joanne this card looks great! Amazing what we can do with markers when that is all we have that matches . I will remember your tip about using them on a brayer. Thanks !
Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #291
Compulsive Stamper

Joanne, I love how you've got thumbnail pics to go with a lot of your tips. TFS! Love it! I had totally forgotten about using the markers on a brayer...love this thread!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #292
Insane Embellisher

Default homemade plastic beads for free!

I have a tutorial to turn soda bottles into beads on my blog: Let’s make beads {for free!} « Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog
Let's see if I can insert a pic:
Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #293
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
wow, you used a marker on a brayer, cool! and it looks perfect, love that color you chose!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #294
Inking Addict

great tips! subbing
Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #295
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymay View Post
I have a tutorial to turn soda bottles into beads on my blog: Let’s make beads {for free!} « Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog
Let's see if I can insert a pic:

Love this!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #296
Polyshrink Goddess

I missed the "recipe" for stamp cleaner. Could someone please send me a link and/or repeat the recipe? Thanks! I love this thread and have gained so many new and useful ideas!
Old 04-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #297
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny8stamper View Post
I missed the "recipe" for stamp cleaner. Could someone please send me a link and/or repeat the recipe?
There's an extensive thread dedicated to stamp cleaner recipes here:

Recipe for Stamp Cleaner
Mzteaze likes this post.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #298
Insane Embellisher

I love all of these tips. Goes along with my desire to use up lots of my stash and refrain from buying new stuff.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #299
Compulsive Stamper

Just bumping this - too many great tips to let it slide down the pages!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #300
Kookie Creator

I've been saving the fabric handles on the shopping bags you get when you buy from some shoe or clothing stores. Some look like rope and look great tied on male cards which have a nautical theme.
Also, the bag itself can usually be useful for background papers, especially when embossed, or have shapes punched out of it.

BTW, I have just bought a new "tool box", with fold out compartments, for some of my tools so I can take them with me when I visit a friend's house.
In the craft section at my local department store, tool boxes were soft pastel colours with clear lids for $20, but I found the same thing in the hardware section in a black colour with clear lids for $5- normal price.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #301
Rubber Obsessor

What does bumping mean and how does it work?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #302
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayshe View Post
What does bumping mean and how does it work?
A post with the word "bump" in it will move the thread back up to the top of the queue. Keeps it "in play" as some people say.

As I understand it, using the word "sticky" will keep it at the top of the queue, but I believe that one is reserved mostly for the SCS administrators to keep important information at the top of each category of threads.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #303
Die Cut Diva

Shayshe, when you post at the bottom of a thread, that thread goes to the top of the threads in it's category. So, bumping means taking the thread to the top of the list, keeping it in view.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #304
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepatch View Post
BTW, I have just bought a new "tool box", with fold out compartments, for some of my tools so I can take them with me when I visit a friend's house.
In the craft section at my local department store, tool boxes were soft pastel colours with clear lids for $20, but I found the same thing in the hardware section in a black colour with clear lids for $5- normal price.
"Plano" fishing tackle boxes work also. They are in lots of stores
Old 04-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #305
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepatch View Post
I've been saving the fabric handles on the shopping bags you get when you buy from some shoe or clothing stores. Some look like rope and look great tied on male cards which have a nautical theme.
Also, the bag itself can usually be useful for background papers, especially when embossed, or have shapes punched out of it.

I have to laugh at this. I bought my hubby a tool box a couple of years ago for Christmas. I liked it so much that I went back and bought myself one as well. Now I am seeing them in 'girly' colors at Michaels for twice the price I paid for it.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #306
Die Cut Diva

I bought several nice storage boxes with smaller containers inside at Harbor Freight. I waited until they were $3. I use the one with 12 round cylinders to hold bulk embossing powders, the one with 24 small square containers to hold brads and eyelets, and the one with 12 small rectangular containers to hold bigger brads. SOOO cheap, and so handy!

Also, I have a fishing tackle box I got from someone I worked for, the kind that opens on both sides, kind of like an attache case, and I roll up my shorter lengths of ribbon, tie them with string or yarn, and sort them by color or type into those compartments. It's easy to find a chunk of ribbon when I need it.

And at most any holiday, they sell pens that light up on the end- snowmen, hearts, etc. Often those come in a nice hefty display of clear plastic, with the pens standing up. I have at least three of those in my craft room for markers (like BIC or Sharpie- that aren't double ended). Stores throw out displays. Most are happy to give them to you if you ask. (I get all my hangers at Kohl's- just ask at the cashiers. They throw them away.)
Old 04-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #307
Kookie Creator

I've found a number of videos on you Tube which show you how to get more from the punches you have, without having to buy new ones. Below is a link to one by Becca from Amazing Paper Grace. She uses a small corner punch to make amazing borders or trims which become beautiful embellishments for your cards.

YouTube - APG - Right Angle Punching - Part 2
Old 04-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #308
Stampin' Fool

She has some great videos.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Old 04-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #309
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiejane929 View Post
I have to laugh at this. I bought my hubby a tool box a couple of years ago for Christmas. I liked it so much that I went back and bought myself one as well. Now I am seeing them in 'girly' colors at Michaels for twice the price I paid for it.
That's a good thing for people to remember that the girly things are always more expensive than the man version. Like tackle boxes (craft organizers) etc. There was a study that even woman razors were a lot more expensive than the male version of the same thing.
Same goes for other things like a paper distresser, they were originally threat cutters. So it really pays to look close at sewing notions, tool areas and hardware stores. Unless you really want a something pink or with Tim Holtz's name on it.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #310
Mad Swapper

I have bought a lot of my embellishment organizers in the fishing area. I will admit I do like the beading ones with the sloped sides for some of the smaller things (easer to get them out) but for the bigger embellies, a plastic tackle organizer works just fine!

I save a lot of my glass jars for storage. A friend saves the plastic baby food containers for me and the new side dishes at KY Fried Chicken are fantastic for toting things to crafting get togethers!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #311
Watercolor Wizard

On the subject of containers... I used scrap CS to make little boxes/trays to hold bits and pieces for projects in progess so they don't scoot all over my table when I'm working. Very handy, since I'm a messy stamper.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #312
Stazon Splitcoast

In the hardware/auto repair section, I got a telescoping magnetic tool - not sure what the name of it is, but it's for picking up screws. I love it for picking up eyelets or other metal embellishments that I drop on the floor. Being it's magnetic and telescopes, no more bending. another thing is whenever I get a gift basket, once it's empty the basket is used.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #313
Rubber Obsessor

Oooh, my husband has one of those, guess I may have to borrow it. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #314
Polyshrink Goddess

Years ago, at a quilting store, I bought a white soapstone marker for using on dark fabric. It's perfect for working on dark cardstock, sharpens with a pencil sharpener, and erases easily.

The other day I was in the auto parts store and they have both the holders and the refills - apparently, these white soapstone markers are used for welding! They were much cheaper, too!

I, too, have lots of fishing tackle boxes. When I go to a crop, I have a wheeled suitcase with lots of pockets and that's what I use to transport my supplies. No need for a special scrapbooking travel case!

My husband works in a hardware store and that's the first place I look for stuff for my studio!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #315
Vee
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Forgot to say, for those interested in the tomato paste tube metal, you need to look out for this kind of thing: Tomato Paste (no, I have no idea why amazon stocks tomato paste, they even have several different brands!). This is actually a much better way to buy the stuff than in cans if you only use it in small quantities as you just put the cap back on and keep it in the fridge until next time you need it. It will keep for months.

The metal is soft enough to cut with kitchen scissors and it will die cut no problem even with low profile dies like Nesties.
ok, I do use tomato paste in a tube (pesto too) but my tubes are all wrinkled and squished when the food is gone! How do I get a smooth die cut?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #316
Glitter Guru

I just saw on another thread here in the General Stamping forum about a video on You-Tube of how to make your own Bakers Twine with a texta/copic marker/sharpie etc. and crochet cotton. I just watched it and it looks fabulous in the video. So I thought I would share the link here to the video on You Tube. I am definitely going to try this and use my Bic Mark-Its.

Some people are just so clever, aren't they?!!

My Gallery My Blog

Be with those who bring out the best in you, not the stress in you!
MaryBrewer likes this post.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:49 AM   #317
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
ok, I do use tomato paste in a tube (pesto too) but my tubes are all wrinkled and squished when the food is gone! How do I get a smooth die cut?
OK, the first thing I stopped doing was rolling up the tube from the bottom as I use the contents, I just squeeze so that the tube flattens out as it empties. Then I snip the top and bottom off and cut up one edge, flatten it out and wash it. You'll have a pretty sharp crease down the centre but it should be reasonably flat otherwise. If you're embossing with a folder, even that sharp crease will disappear in the embossing process. If you're just cutting with something like a Nestie for a flat piece (like the sentiment tag in the attached sample), it will also flatten out any minor wrinkles - I guess the little bit of "stretch" in the cutting process does that.

HTH!
Attached Thumbnails
goldensketchsanta2.jpg  

My blog
Old 04-19-2011, 06:29 AM   #318
Pearl-ExPert

I have three new tips for today. One is a traditional tip I have seen throughout the years but never tried. I removed the ink from a ballpoint pen, had my DH scratch the remaining ink from the nib dry. He's strong so it only took him five minutes. If I did it I would still be working on it eight hours later, lol. Now, I have a pin to freehand emboss thin metal. You can also use it as a scoring tool.

I did make my own scoring tool today. I used this tutorial: Paper Scoring Tool I love this one because I am always needing a hook for something or other. I love when a tool is double duty.

My last one I made my own quilling tool using this tutorial: Crafts, Kids, Quilling - Inna's Creations: DIY quilling tool made from a needle I should say my DH made it for me. I absolutely adore my new quilling tool. It's just perfect.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #319
Watercolor Wizard

Just had a thought on another source of "patterned paper" - I don't think we've mentioned maps, have we? If you buy a new street map to update an old one (or you rely on your sat nav!), the old one should find its way to your craft stash! Great for guy cards!

Sometimes you can even manage to personalise a project this way - the recipient of the attached postcard lives in the area shown on this section of map.
Attached Thumbnails
journeypostcard.jpg  

My blog
MaryBrewer likes this post.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #320
Polyshrink Goddess

LOVE that map idea. Gotta go home and dig out my old atlas!!

Trish