Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree187Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #241
Insane Embellisher

I make do with fewer full size stamp pads. I have one yellow-SU's old Summer Sun-use Pretty in Pink instead of buying Blushing Bride and/or Pink Pirouette, kept several retired pads that are close to the newer colors, etc. And you can stamp off a darker color to get a lighter image.
I splurge on all their markers since I can always use those on stamps and watercolor with them.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #242
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdish View Post
You are so right Betty! I've taken apart 3 ring binders they were chucking, and got really heavy tag board from them, along with some panels of Pleather. I also take apart computer harddrives that have been degaussed (completely wiped clean of data) and were being chucked. I get all sorts of neat pieces from them. The best is the aluminum rings that are used as spacers on the spindle to separate the disk platters. I used them to make a garland for our Christmas tree, by linking them with jump rings.
I've taken apart old electronics and used the parts to make jewelry. People always ask what they are. Some parts have really pretty colours - especially little resistors.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #243
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlyn Jordan View Post
I am on a strict budget, and very new to card making and stamping. I keep hearing about dimentionals. I know they aren't very expensive, especially with a coupon. Lots of little things are not THAT expensive with a coupon, however they add up quickly at the checkout line.

I decided instead to make do with what I had in the house. I have 1 type of tape glue, and lots of boxes. I cut cardboard into strips, then cut little squares off as I need them. I added a bit of glue to both sides, and once it was in place, I added a little white glue for sturdiness out of sight.

I am sure it is nothing like the real thing, but it worked for me. It gave me the desired effect and didn't cost any extra.
That's a great solution! I have a friend who uses the excess rubber from SU stamp sets... the kind that's sticky on both sides for mounting on wood blocks. She snips it into little pieces and uses it for everything dimensional.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #244
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
That's a great solution! I have a friend who uses the excess rubber from SU stamp sets... the kind that's sticky on both sides for mounting on wood blocks. She snips it into little pieces and uses it for everything dimensional.
I have heard of that, but I have never bought a stamp set new, so haven't been able to try. I've also seen some very neat stained glass work done using bits of rubber that would have otherwise been trashed.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #245
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
You can get by just using white paper too... just colour the borders of the matting paper before layering on the main panel.

This is also useful to remember if you find yourself card-making at a friend's house and forgot your coloured cardstock and only brought your white paper.
I do this as well, saves me so much on Colored Cardstock. I use georgia pacific 110lb and it's pretty sturdy. Of course Stampin up has the best CS (IMHO) But I certainly cant always afford it
Old 03-23-2011, 02:29 AM   #246
Compulsive Stamper

Some great ideas here

I was brought up to 'make do and mend' so I'm always looking to make my supplies go as far as possible or re-use items. Most of the things I do have been mentioned already, for example, I also save a ton by buying white or natural ribbons, lace, string, thread, gems & pearls etc and colour them with markers and ink.

Like many I'm sure, I cut down on my cardstock usage by cutting out the middle of bottom matting layers before they're stuck down as you only see the outer edge. Sometimes I just add a thin strip of card to the top and bottom of a card wide panel to give the illusion of a matting layer.

I use decorators masking tape to hold my nestabilities in place on card stock before die cutting, it's cheap and lasts ages.

Clothes often come with ribbons inside to hold them onto the hanger in the shop, I whip that off straight away and I always keep any belts or cording they come with. I never throw old clothes out without striping it of all buttons, zips, good panels of fabric etc.

I made my own embossing buddy/anti-static thingie by popping some cornflour (I think you guys might call it cornstarch) in an old piece of fabric and gathering up with an elastic band.

I too save all pretty wrappings and cut up boxes before I throw them out, I save old wallpaper scraps, sweet wrappers and I have had some fantastic patterned acetate and mesh type material from flower bouquets.

That's all I can think of for now
Old 03-23-2011, 02:31 AM   #247
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnyjhn View Post
For dimensionals, I have found double sided foam tape (scotch brand) rolls at the 99 cent store. You can cut it to any length you need. A few rolls goes pretty far.
I had a roll of this stuff and it lasts FOREVER! Yes, being able to cut off only the length I need is great. Beats trying to cut the pre-cut circles into whatever length you need.

I did learn that cheaper is not always better when I bought some dimensionals from the dollar store. The glue on them dried out quickly (less than a week) and things were falling off my cards
I make cards for Operation Write Home (OWH)
Old 03-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #248
Stampin' Fool

Default reusing, making do....

[QUOTE=sadiejane929;18106169]I had a roll of this stuff and it lasts FOREVER! Yes, being able to cut off only the length I need is great. Beats trying to cut the pre-cut circles into whatever length you need.

I have done this and will not do it again because it leaves sooooo much gunk on my scissors, that it was not worth it to me. I still have half a roll, but when that's gone - no more!

Birds Cards "Like many I'm sure, I cut down on my cardstock usage by cutting out the middle of bottom matting layers before they're stuck down as you only see the outer edge. Sometimes I just add a thin strip of card to the top and bottom of a card wide panel to give the illusion of a matting layer."

I also tried this, with different results! Sadly, I made a set of cards for church and thought that I would save paper by punching out shapes to use later from the mat layer. Smart, right? Well, not really. I should have used my PTI white and maybe this wouldn't have happened, but you could see right through. *sigh* Now I have to use my Undo and take the cards apart and redo them. Rats. If I had used my Nestabilities to cut out a frame underneath, maybe that would have looked better. But I used different shapes that look wierd, like scalloped circles and ovals.

Jutta

P.S. I couldn't figure out how to add two quotes to one message, so I patched in Birds cards statement, that's why it looks different.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:13 AM   #249
Pearl-ExPert

Cartermc- I did the same thing I bought the SU markers instead of the stamp pads. I am so happy with my decision. I would like all the SU stamp pads but I am buying them frugally when I can find a good deal. So far, I have one, lol.

I also bought the SU reinkers so I can make my own customize stamp pads. I know both the markers and the reinkers are costly, especially up front. Those two items have been a money saver for me.

cat_woman- I take apart old electronics too for parts. Actually my DH does. He has a side business fixing electronics. I don't want to sound like a downer. Be careful making jewelry for children because some of the older components do have lead. A lot of people are not aware of that.

I have a pair of non-stick scissors I use when working with all my sticky items. I cut my foam tape with those scissors.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 AM   #250
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mireles4 View Post
I do this as well, saves me so much on Colored Cardstock. I use georgia pacific 110lb and it's pretty sturdy. Of course Stampin up has the best CS (IMHO) But I certainly cant always afford it
another faux layer tip it to teart a page from an old magazine and lay it over your cand and brawer ink on top, remove the magazine paper and it liiks like you have a torn peice attached!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #251
Mad Swapper

So many great ideas, have to go now and check out the recycle bin before the trashmen come....

Gerry
Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #252
Pearl-ExPert

For those of you who like to swap or send packages regularly, I use boxes from food (like: cereal bars, fruit snacks, etc...) to mail my things... I just wrap them with gift wrap or brown paper that comes inside SU orders...

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Old 03-24-2011, 05:33 AM   #253
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Stamper View Post
For those of you who like to swap or send packages regularly, I use boxes from food (like: cereal bars, fruit snacks, etc...) to mail my things... I just wrap them with gift wrap or brown paper that comes inside SU orders...
I recently got a swap in a cereal box. She didn't even cover it. Just sent it as is. Was one of the coolest packages I ever received. I loved it.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #254
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to indianabon

This thread is great! I have copied down so many of the ideas for future reference.

Here is a verse by an anonymous writer that I put on a cute card to remind myself to be creative with what I have rather than always buying more new stuff LOL

Last edited by indianabon; 03-24-2011 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: wrong url for photo
Old 03-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #255
Rubber Obsessor

Just found this thread. Can't believe all the wonderful ideas. Thank you everyone.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:35 AM   #256
Insane Embellisher

Hey I have a "ake do" idea! Make your own 12x12 paper storage. I have a video on mt blog: Paper Storage YOU can make {for free!} Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog simply suing cardborad boxes and supplies on hand. It beats the high price of the flimsy plastic vertical storage and each box will hold 4-5 large stacks of paper!
I think they are pretty too!
MaryBrewer likes this post.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 AM   #257
Insane Embellisher

This is a great thread, let's keep it going!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #258
Rubber Obsessor

OMG, I think my head is going to explode! What great ideas!
I haven't read them all yet but I haven't seen anything about wrapping paper and tissue paper.
Every birthday party, Christmas etc. I take the bag of trash and pull out the good pieces of paper. My SIL thinks I'm crazy!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #259
Rubber Obsessor

I haven't been able to find it at Michael's or Joanns. They have many Aleen's glues but not that one. I should check on-line?!?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 AM   #260
Stampin' Fool

I was checking the posts to see what Aileen's glue you were referring to but didn't see it. I picked up a little 4 pack of small sizes of an assortment of Aileen's glue at Michael's.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Old 03-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #261
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayshe View Post
I haven't been able to find it at Michael's or Joanns. They have many Aleen's glues but not that one. I should check on-line?!?

I am not 100% what glue you are talking about, but I think it is Tack it Over and Over. In any case, you could always speak to a supervisor, or manager at your local craft store. If they already sell Arleen's glue they may be able to order it for you on their next shipment. They usually don't charge shipping because it comes from the same company they already have an order coming from. Plus they might find that it sells in an untapped market because it is such a popular product.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #262
Stampin' Fool

Your Michael's and Joann's probably don't carry all of the products mine does. Both of mine carry it. I've had it happen where somebody posted they got something in one of those two stores but mine didn't carry it.
Joann;s on line is having it on sale.
aileenes glue*: Shop | Joann.com

Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #263
Stampin' Fool

ESK91 is the code on Joann's.com until April 1st or 2nd (forgot which) for $5.00 flat rate shipping, no minimum purchase. To make that worthwhile you would probably have to order more stuff. Otherwise you would be paying $5.00 shipping on an item selling for $1.89. Not worth it.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #264
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutta View Post
Now I have to use my Undo and take the cards apart and redo them. Rats. If I had used my Nestabilities to cut out a frame underneath, maybe that would have looked better. But I used different shapes that look wierd, like scalloped circles and ovals.
Slip a piece of dental floss in between the layers and it will separate them easily.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #265
Matboard Maniac

Gosh these are great!
I've already taken advantage of one of the recipes for stamp cleaner! So glad I did since I spilt an almost brand new bottle of store bought (sob) and I will have to try using cardboard for dimensionals! I am running low and was fretting about buying some. This sounds like a great option.

I use flat rate boxes to store my 12 x 12 papers in. They are sturdy and if I decide I don't like or need them, I can recycle the cardboard for something else.

I also make my own envelopes these days. it is helping me to start using up that pile of DP I don't really care for that comes in the packs but I can't bring myself to toss. They make great envelopes. I use wrapping paper, colored copy paper and newspaper depending on what I am doing. Obviously if I mail it I use a sturdier paper. Everyone loves the envelopes almost as much as the cards!

Right now I am saving cans to make myself pen storage. I just don't have the money to spend on a store bought one. I figure some tin cans, metal or hot glue and spray paint ... I have what I need ... and if I don't like it, again I can toss into the recycle can.

Anyway - I appreciate all the great ideas even more so since they are saving me $$$$!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #266
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you! I'm sure I can find something else to order to make the shipping worthwhile. lol
Old 03-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #267
Stampin' Fool

Your welcome Shayshe. I think we all have that talent - lol.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #268
Compulsive Stamper

I don't know if y'all know this, but if you use a high tack adhesive like score-tape, or red line tape, to adhere cardstock together and realize you made a mistake and need to separate the pieces - I found that using a heat gun and pulling the papers apart as you heat works great! Your cardstock will curl a bit, but I just lay the tacky side onto a non-stick mat until I'm ready to reposition it back again and it usually flattens out just fine. If you find it still curls, just zap it again with the heat gun--works every time. I use this technique a lot when I'm teaching classes, and if my students don't already own a heat gun, this convinces them to buy one. Ha ha, and I don't make any money off the sales, I just love that it's so easy to fix those mistakes you thought were unfixable.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #269
Hardware Hotshot

Cara -- you can always use up some of your DP to decorate the cans, too. My SU demo had a project like that a few years ago...we took clean cans and added stamped papers and a strip cut with a border punch. Just make sure you use a strong adhesive like Sticky Strip or the red-line tape or something similar.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #270
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HevnLee2 View Post
I don't know if y'all know this, but if you use a high tack adhesive like score-tape, or red line tape, to adhere cardstock together and realize you made a mistake and need to separate the pieces - I found that using a heat gun and pulling the papers apart as you heat works great! Your cardstock will curl a bit, but I just lay the tacky side onto a non-stick mat until I'm ready to reposition it back again and it usually flattens out just fine. If you find it still curls, just zap it again with the heat gun--works every time. I use this technique a lot when I'm teaching classes, and if my students don't already own a heat gun, this convinces them to buy one. Ha ha, and I don't make any money off the sales, I just love that it's so easy to fix those mistakes you thought were unfixable.
Oh cool! You don't know how many times I have ripped paper and cardstock trying to pull something apart gently when I have a panel on crooked that I have only just stuck on. Now I know what to do!! Yippee! Thanks HevnLee2

My Gallery My Blog

Sometimes the smallest things take the most room in your heart - Piglet
Old 03-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #271
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Thank you, thank you. I put all my cards together with scor-tape so that is a fabulous tip! I've never heard it before.

My gallery is here should you care to look!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #272
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimont View Post
Sorry for triple dipping this morning.. but this thread has got me thinking. I've been saving nylon mesh bags from produce knowing there's got to be something great I can do with it. I'm wondering what's the best way to adhere it without glue coming through the little holes.

And sort of along the lines of the tomato paste tube, I've been saving the foil pouches that many foods seems to be packaged in (raisins, etc.) and will experiment with embossing them.
I wonder if you could use the mesh bags to emboss - put it on top of the cardstock and run through the Cuttlebug or Big Shot. Seems like I saw something about that one time - maybe not using the mesh bags but other things like burlap. I've always wanted to try it, and maybe because of this blog I will.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #273
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Gosh, what a fantastic idea that is! I've covered round cookie containers to use as candy/gift containers, and that would have been a good thing to know! I'll surely remember it!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #274
Compulsive Stamper

I'm so glad you could use the tip--I figure it saves on paper especially when you're using that last bit of specialty paper you can't buy anywhere else. LOL. I discovered this technique when I did just that--messe up my last piece of specialty paper. My heat gun happened to be out and I gave it a try. You'll love this quick save someday. =)
Old 03-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #275
Stampin' Fool

Default floss?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weims View Post
Slip a piece of dental floss in between the layers and it will separate them easily.
Geez, I hate to floss. I guess I'll just have to learn to like it!

Juttta
Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #276
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Denise View Post

I also make my own envelopes these days. it is helping me to start using up that pile of DP I don't really care for that comes in the packs but I can't bring myself to toss. They make great envelopes. I use wrapping paper, colored copy paper and newspaper depending on what I am doing. Obviously if I mail it I use a sturdier paper. Everyone loves the envelopes almost as much as the cards!
Oh my gosh! What a great idea! I have a whole pack of 12 x 12 that I wasn't sure I'd use all of it! Now I'll be making envelopes! Thanks for this tip!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #277
Inking Addict

bumping....
Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #278
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Cara -- you can always use up some of your DP to decorate the cans, too. My SU demo had a project like that a few years ago...we took clean cans and added stamped papers and a strip cut with a border punch. Just make sure you use a strong adhesive like Sticky Strip or the red-line tape or something similar.
oooh great idea! Save myself from by spray paint too... the paper will work nicely!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #279
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah636 View Post
Oh my gosh! What a great idea! I have a whole pack of 12 x 12 that I wasn't sure I'd use all of it! Now I'll be making envelopes! Thanks for this tip!
Whats funny is that sometimes I get more comments on my envelopes!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #280
Die Cut Diva

When I'm mounting unmounted rubber stamps, I save all the excess bits of mounting foam (back onto the backing paper it came on) and use as dimensional dots. Why throw away something that I can use?