Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree222Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #201
Insane Embellisher

I am not sure if this has been mentioned...my apologies if it has..
But when 'stuck' for a color, I go neutral...

For example, if there is a funny shade of, say, turquoise I am trying to find a perfectly matched-color embellie for, I will pick embellies that are silver, gold, white, black, or a complimentary brown shade......for cardstock, instead of running to the lss for one sheet of cs when I am trying to finish a project or I am on a roll and do not want to put a project aside, I will go neutral with black, kraft, white, etc......

I'm sure this is nothing new to a lot of ppl, but it has more than on one occasion saved me some stress of looking for the 'perfect' shade, not to mention saved me a buck or two....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #202
Mad Swapper

So many wonderful ideas! I also do needlework and save all my scraps of glittery thread, silk ribbon and other specialty threads. Sometimes just a tiny bit is all I need to add to my card. My husband now asks "is this something you can use" before throwing out junk mail!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 AM   #203
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne3579 View Post
This is so awesome! I've been wanting a little hand drill for some time, but was gifted with a small, but heavy duty electric one by (who else) DH. He now has it in his shop and I'm on the prowl for one like yours. TFS
You should be able to pick on up really cheaply from any hardware store, or perhaps a store that has a diy/hardware section. Mine only cost me about 3, new from a hardware shop.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #204
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
I have got a tutorial on my blog on how to make your own braided cords using embroidery thread- it may be of help?This is the linkThis came about as I have so much embroidery yarn from when I used to cross stitch- I now feel less guilty about my thread stash, lol.
great tut! I might try with my electric dril!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:40 AM   #205
Watercolor Wizard

You don't need a drill to make a twisted cord - just your fingers and some patience! Use a nail or a pin as your centre point, run lengths of thread around it (how many strands you use depends on how thick you want your finished cord - one loop will give you a four stranded cord, two loops and eight stranded cord and so on). Hold the loose ends between finger and thumb and pull the threads taught. Now start to roll your finger down the pad of your thumb - the threads will twist together. Keep going with that action until the twisted thread "kinks" a little if you relax the tension on it. Now put your finger half way along the length of your threads (or get somone else to help if you made a really long one!) and take the loose ends to meet the loop round the pin. Grip both the loose end and the looped bit, unhitch the pin and then let your finger out of the middle. The thread will twist into a cord. Just smooth down the length of it as it's twisting to even out any kinks.

HTH if you don't have a drill in the house! It means you don't need to do any counting or worry about keeping direction of twist the same, too!

My blog
Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #206
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
You should be able to pick on up really cheaply from any hardware store, or perhaps a store that has a diy/hardware section. Mine only cost me about 3, new from a hardware shop.
Thanks for taking the time to suggest a place to get a small hand drill. How nice of you.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #207
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by adctd2stamping View Post
I make the FAKE brads using my very old office 1/4" hole punch, stack a few with glue and cover with Glossy accents. OR...take a 1/4" circle and circle your smallest stylist (or the handle end of a small paint brush, or a crochet hook) in it...it will make a teeny tiny cup for the center of your flowers, or turn it over and you have a one layer curved brad that you can use. It's great to match up your papers and use up the scraps!
Love this. A perfect match every time, less bulk and nearly as quick as punching the hole, inserting and bending the prongs. A bit of glossy glue would make them shiny, too. Could spend TV time making some of these ahead to have on hand! I have my project for this evening.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #208
Matboard Maniac

I use ceral boxes and mod podge to make my own cuttlebug embossing folders.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #209
Stampin' Fool

Do you have a tutorial or instructions for the cereal box/mod podge embossing folders?

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/

Last edited by LorraineBK; 03-06-2011 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: left words out
Old 03-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #210
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineBK View Post
Do you have a tutorial or instructions for the cereal box/mod podge embossing folders?
I looked at this one last week..looked really good... it is on Mel Stampz blog...

Homemade Cuttlebug Embossing Folder
Old 03-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #211
Matboard Maniac

I love Mels blog and she has the most amazing ideas.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #212
Stampin' Fool

That's a great tutorial. I don't have the patience for all the cutting of teeny shapes so I'll go the bigger shape route. Thanks!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #213
Stampin' Fool

Stamping 411: Technique Thursday - Embossed Background

I found another one.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #214
Mad Swapper

Lindsay, they are gorgeous! Can't wait to view the video (shhh, I'm at work right now).
Ellen
Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #215
Watercolor Wizard

Those do look great.... I have a hard time finding folders I think will be versatile enough to buy, so I like these ideas a lot.

I imagine it has already been mentioned, but I saw a card the other day using the metal tape from the hardware store - I think it's for repairing metal ducts or something like that. They stuck it on CS, used an embossing folder on it, then colored it with alcohol inks, ending up with a cool embossed metallic BG. I will see if I can find an example...
Old 03-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #216
Matboard Maniac

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelmargores View Post
I made my own shimmery watercolors by taking a kids water color pallette with the hardened individual colors of water color and pearl ex. I popped out the individual colors and put them into small containers with lids (originally had brads or small embellies in them). I put about 1 to 2 Tablespoons of water and let them set until the watercolor dissolved completely (takes a while, be patient). Then I scooped about 1/4 t of pearl ex into the watercolor solution and stirred it completely until the pearl ex was dissolved into the watercolor. I set them on a windowsill to dry until the water evaporated. Voila, shimmery watercolors for really inexpensive.
Wonderful idea! What color of Pearl-Ex did you use?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #217
Crimping Master

This is what I want to know as well. What a great idea!
Old 03-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #218
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdish View Post
Wonderful idea! What color of Pearl-Ex did you use?
I used colors that coordinated with the paint I was using. For yellow paint I used gold pearl ex, for purple paint I used purple pearl ex, etc. It intensified the color and made it really sparkle.

Macro pearl worked great in most colors.

Create your own colors by mixing bits of the paint in with other colors. The possibilities are only limited by the number of little containers you have available.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #219
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmzdByHsGrace View Post
I never buy colored brads anymore! I just buy the white ones and color them with my Bic Mark-its! It works wonderful and I have all the colors that I need and no left over colors of brads that I never use!!!
Great ideas here!!
God bless
Nyoka
Well, in the last week, I played with my Bic Mark-Its and gems and pearls, and woo hoo - it worked a treat!! I had some pale pink gems and wanted them to look more peachy, so I grabbed my Peach Parfait Mark-It and coloured it and it looked fab. I just uploaded a card here to SCS that I used it on, but you can't really see the gems as they are small, but there is a close-up on my Blog here if you were interested in peeking at. I also needed a blue pearl for a baby boy's card, and coloured a white pearl with a blue Mark-It and again, it looked fab too. Haven't uploaded it here or on my Blog yet as I was waiting for the recipient to get it - will come back and add a link here when I do. Haven't tried brads yet - that's next on my list. Fab ideas from everyone here!! Keep 'em coming!!

My Gallery My Blog

Be with those who bring out the best in you, not the stress in you!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #220
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I saw a great video on Gina K's Stamp TV of making your own gold embossed paper for a bottom layer. She rubbed Versamark around the edge for about a 1/2" in. Then she sprinkled gold embossing powder on it and use her heat tool to melt it. When she put the layer on top of it no one would know she only embossed the rim on the bottom layer.

A person could use any color of embossing powder to do this technique.
I was looking thru this thread and love all of the great ideas! I have some embossing powder from a friend and seriously need to try this one!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #221
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to Jill with a G

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbooknut1 View Post
I love Mels blog and she has the most amazing ideas.
Her blog is awesome! Have your tried making any of those paper flowers?
I did and they look great on cards!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #222
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnorth View Post
My stamp positioner is made of Lego bricks (positioning sheets - another use for that clear packaging plastic!).
No stinkin' way! That is absolute genius!

I'm making one today and then taking this item off my birthday wish list. Thank you so much for the idea!

Helen
Old 03-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #223
Crimping Master

Forgot to mention this earlier, but I just used it, so was reminded. Instead of buying a corner ticket punch, I use a circle punch I already owned and turn it upside down so I can see, and stick the card stock in so just 1/4 of the circle is covered and punch. This makes the perfect pie-shaped notch out of the corner. I love the look, but way too cheap to buy a whole punch when I already had what I needed to give the same look.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #224
Embossing Fanatic

I took a class in December, and the instructor had us cut the top and bottom off a soft-drink can and flatten out the center section. Then we ran it through the die-cut machine, cut out a shape and embossed it....painted over it with plain acrylic paint and sanded parts off to distress - VERY cool embellishment!

My office supplies snacks, and they buy the huge cans of mixed nuts....one day I was opening a can and realized the peel-off top was a very nice sheet of aluminium, a bit thinner than a soft-drink can....I've been saving them ever since to make more metal embellies......

Cindi
Psalm 18:28
my blog
Old 03-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #225
Linking Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiejane929 View Post
I was looking thru this thread and love all of the great ideas! I have some embossing powder from a friend and seriously need to try this one!
If you don't have EP you could get a similar look with a Krylon leafing pen. Both are great ways to save yet have a great looking project!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #226
Stampin' Fool

sub

Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #227
Watercolor Wizard

I just thought of something that I don't think has come up yet and that's "mark making" with household stuff instead of stamps.

Bubble wrap is one of my favourites (just ink it up, lay your paper on top and smooth over with the flat of your hand for a great distressed spotty background!) but you can use so many different things as "stamps". Try pressing the lid of something like a hairsrapy cannister into ink or paint for a "coffee cup ring" on your project, ink up leaves and press them onto your projects (I've attached a sample I made a couple of years ago for a "stamping without stamps" challenge - the leaves were "stamped" with real ivy picked from outside my back door and there's actually some bubble wrap stamping on here too, down at bottom left). Inking over the top of something with a sponge is also great for backgrounds (sequin waste is good or my second attached sample was done with the sort of netting bag you get oranges etc in).
Attached Thumbnails
nostampvintage.jpg   dreamnet.jpg  

My blog
Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #228
Crimping Master

Quote:
I just thought of something that I don't think has come up yet and that's "mark making" with household stuff instead of stamps.

Bubble wrap is one of my favourites (just ink it up, lay your paper on top and smooth over with the flat of your hand for a great distressed spotty background!) but you can use so many different things as "stamps". Try pressing the lid of something like a hairsrapy cannister into ink or paint for a "coffee cup ring" on your project, ink up leaves and press them onto your projects (I've attached a sample I made a couple of years ago for a "stamping without stamps" challenge - the leaves were "stamped" with real ivy picked from outside my back door and there's actually some bubble wrap stamping on here too, down at bottom left). Inking over the top of something with a sponge is also great for backgrounds (sequin waste is good or my second attached sample was done with the sort of netting bag you get oranges etc in).
Wow! Your cards are amazing!!! I use these very things as well (although not as well as you) and the hairspray lid reminded me of what I used when I needed several circles of various sizes. I raided my DH's washer supply and found just what I needed---they are rubber after all--and attached them to a block of wood. Now I have more than I need and don't bother to mount them all except when I need them.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #229
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Inking over the top of something with a sponge is also great for backgrounds (sequin waste is good or my second attached sample was done with the sort of netting bag you get oranges etc in).
How do you keep the netting bag in place when you ink over it? It seems that it's so stretchy that it would slip out of place.

Thanks - great ideas!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #230
Stampin' Fool

Those are two awesome cards Joanne!!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #231
Watercolor Wizard

Thanks for the compliments

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimont View Post
How do you keep the netting bag in place when you ink over it? It seems that it's so stretchy that it would slip out of place.
I tape one edge of my cardstock to my cutting mat then stretch the netting over the top and tape it down (keeping that tape off the cardstock). I keep a roll of cheap masking tape in my craft room for jobs like this. Once you're done inking nad have unstuck everything, just trim the edge of the cardstock that had the tape on to tidy it up. You do need to pounce the ink on rather than rubbing in circular motions to avoid disturbing the net too much. HTH!

Love the washer idea Jeanne!

My blog
Old 03-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #232
Cardstock Collector

I also live in Canada and I got it at Michaels it is 9.99 and use a coupon WalMart also had it but when i went to get more I couldn't find it hope this helps
Old 03-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #233
Crimping Master

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments

I tape one edge of my cardstock to my cutting mat then stretch the netting over the top and tape it down (keeping that tape off the cardstock). I keep a roll of cheap masking tape in my craft room for jobs like this. Once you're done inking nad have unstuck everything, just trim the edge of the cardstock that had the tape on to tidy it up. You do need to pounce the ink on rather than rubbing in circular motions to avoid disturbing the net too much. HTH!

Love the washer idea Jeanne!
When I do this, I use double-sided removable tape on the back of my card to stick it to my work surface. That way I can just remove the card, don't need to trim, and can stick down another piece of card stock for the next inking process.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #234
Glitter Guru

Fabulous ideas Joanne! Your cards are stunning! I had never thought to use bubble wrap for cardmaking nor leaves! Amazing what I have sitting in my home that could be so useful - I just need to re-train my brain to think outside the square!

My Gallery My Blog

Be with those who bring out the best in you, not the stress in you!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #235
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne3579 View Post
When I do this, I use double-sided removable tape on the back of my card to stick it to my work surface. That way I can just remove the card, don't need to trim, and can stick down another piece of card stock for the next inking process.
You're much better organised and better disciplined than me! I'm a butterfly crafter for sure - I need to flit from one thing to the next and the chances of me making a stock of pieces using the same process is pretty much zero!

My blog
Old 03-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #236
Embossing Fanatic

I am on a strict budget, and very new to card making and stamping. I keep hearing about dimentionals. I know they aren't very expensive, especially with a coupon. Lots of little things are not THAT expensive with a coupon, however they add up quickly at the checkout line.

I decided instead to make do with what I had in the house. I have 1 type of tape glue, and lots of boxes. I cut cardboard into strips, then cut little squares off as I need them. I added a bit of glue to both sides, and once it was in place, I added a little white glue for sturdiness out of sight.

I am sure it is nothing like the real thing, but it worked for me. It gave me the desired effect and didn't cost any extra.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #237
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlyn Jordan View Post
I am on a strict budget, and very new to card making and stamping. I keep hearing about dimentionals. I know they aren't very expensive, especially with a coupon. Lots of little things are not THAT expensive with a coupon, however they add up quickly at the checkout line.

I decided instead to make do with what I had in the house. I have 1 type of tape glue, and lots of boxes. I cut cardboard into strips, then cut little squares off as I need them. I added a bit of glue to both sides, and once it was in place, I added a little white glue for sturdiness out of sight.

I am sure it is nothing like the real thing, but it worked for me. It gave me the desired effect and didn't cost any extra.
I agree - I often get to the check out and wonder if something is wrong with my math - what the cashier tells me and what I thought the total would be are pretty far apart

I like your idea for dimensionals!!!! I'll try it.

I have a question - there was talk of making one's own glue dots - I'd love to do that - any hints anyone?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #238
Cardstock Collector

For dimensionals, I have found double sided foam tape (scotch brand) rolls at the 99 cent store. You can cut it to any length you need. A few rolls goes pretty far.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #239
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcg View Post
I have a question - there was talk of making one's own glue dots - I'd love to do that - any hints anyone?
I considered my attempt at this a success. I used parchment paper instead of wax paper and Arleen's Tack it Over and Over and was happy with the results. In fact, I frequently use these around the house for various tasks. I even used them to mount a fire detector. The held the base in place while I marked, then placed the screws.

I will say that sometimes they are not as sticky as I like. In that case, I use a bit of white glue in the general are after I am done with it. By the time I drop it in the mail, it is very sturdy.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #240
Pearl-ExPert

Just another add on to the usable things for stamping. My husband drinks wine with the cork in the bottle. I found that those corks all have different patterns and I can stamp with em and then toss em.