Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree187Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #121
Matboard Maniac

You can get your Copics at OOzaks.com Create an account (they don't send you any emails or sell your addy) and they are the same as copicmarkers.com each with free shipping after you spend $50. They ship the same day you order too and they will ship internationally, just contact them.

Get your Copics at a discount. COPICmarkerS.com - a Period Style website has huge discounts everyday. Did you know you can buy empty cases and build your own custom sets which ship for free as do all sets?

Hope these help![/QUOTE]
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #122
Rubber Obsessor

Location: I live in United Arab Emirates because of my husbands job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimont View Post
Instead of throwing away the boxed cards, I just learned a beautiful new way to use them. Here's a link for "enameled" cards:

USArtQuest

Also, the clear plastic packaging can also be cut with your dies to create inexpensive screens for using glimmer mists..

Thanks for starting this thread! I always learn so much here.
I LOVE the idea of the enamel cards! Simply stunning! Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #123
Glitter Queen

What terrific ideas! I am definitely trying the DYI embossing paste, the glue dots, and the fun foam pop dots. Thank you for all the great ideas.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #124
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.
Send a message via AIM to mollymoo951

Quote:
Originally Posted by diecutDiva View Post
My FIND for Faux Bakers Twine. I was at Wal Mart and spied Lily brand Sugar and Cream Yarn Twists..........the color is Barnboard Twist and it looks just like the red & white bakers twine, but is dirt cheap I also picked up Cottage Twists color too. It has red light blue and yellow in it. They both look really really neat done up on cards, tags or whatever and am quite sure they were less than $2 for a whole skein. It is 100% cotton and really does the job, no one would know it is NOt bakers twine.
OHHHH...never thought of that. I love the Sugar & Ceam Yarn Twists...want some baker's twine...hmmmm...will have to remember to look through my Sugar & Cream Yarn stash when I get home! Great idea!

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #125
Glitter Queen

Default Faux Shimmery Watercolors

I made my own shimmery watercolors by taking a kids water color pallette with the hardened individual colors of water color and pearl ex. I popped out the individual colors and put them into small containers with lids (originally had brads or small embellies in them). I put about 1 to 2 Tablespoons of water and let them set until the watercolor dissolved completely (takes a while, be patient). Then I scooped about 1/4 t of pearl ex into the watercolor solution and stirred it completely until the pearl ex was dissolved into the watercolor. I set them on a windowsill to dry until the water evaporated. Voila, shimmery watercolors for really inexpensive.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #126
Forum Fanatic

I worked in a public library for years and received many book publishers' catalogues - often they had really good quality paper or cardstock covers. The back cover was often just a plain coloured sheet so once I was done with them, I'd rip the covers off and save them for layering. I've been retired for two years and I still have a file of these to use up. I also save cardstock advertising leaflets that come in the mail.

Great ideas everyone!

My gallery is here should you care to look!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #127
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
My FIND for Faux Bakers Twine. I was at Wal Mart and spied Lily brand Sugar and Cream Yarn Twists..........the color is Barnboard Twist and it looks just like the red & white bakers twine, but is dirt cheap I also picked up Cottage Twists color too. It has red light blue and yellow in it. They both look really really neat done up on cards, tags or whatever and am quite sure they were less than $2 for a whole skein. It is 100% cotton and really does the job, no one would know it is NOt bakers twine.
You are just the cleverest person ever! I crochet and have bought that yarn to make dishcloths - but hadn't thought how much it resembles the Bakers Twine. Hooray for you. I'm off to Walmart today to get some. Thank you.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #128
Linking Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanbri View Post
I worked in a public library for years and received many book publishers' catalogues - often they had really good quality paper or cardstock covers. The back cover was often just a plain coloured sheet so once I was done with them, I'd rip the covers off and save them for layering. I've been retired for two years and I still have a file of these to use up. I also save cardstock advertising leaflets that come in the mail.

Great ideas everyone!
This reminds me that much of my glossy "cardstock" used to be fancy folders from presentations etc. I especially love when it's light blue for skies or red for punching/diecutting hearts or a really bright white for doing the polished stone and other techniques.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #129
Linking Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelmargores View Post
I made my own shimmery watercolors by taking a kids water color pallette with the hardened individual colors of water color and pearl ex. I popped out the individual colors and put them into small containers with lids (originally had brads or small embellies in them). I put about 1 to 2 Tablespoons of water and let them set until the watercolor dissolved completely (takes a while, be patient). Then I scooped about 1/4 t of pearl ex into the watercolor solution and stirred it completely until the pearl ex was dissolved into the watercolor. I set them on a windowsill to dry until the water evaporated. Voila, shimmery watercolors for really inexpensive.
Clever and a fantastic idea (of course I don't have any kids' paints but they are inexpensive enough to buy and still save money with this idea).
Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #130
Embossing Fanatic

Talking Making 'do'

Wow! There are so many ideas to try in this thread! Some of them I have tried and have been so pleased with the results! Two things I will add to this post. 1. Make your own 'glimmer spray'. I know there are many ways to do this. I just used what I happened to have at home. Using a small 2 oz. spray bottle from WM, add some re-inker, and for the glimmer, I discovered that I had a jug of Luminere silver paint that I got from a garage sale. When I opened it, it looked like it was all dried up and I was sad. So I tried peeling the top layer off to find that the rest was dried to a very thick paste. Not to be deterred, I scooped a glob up and dropped it in the spray bottle with the water and reinker. After I shook and shook it, I was amazed to discover that the Luminere had dissolved and now I had some fabulously shimmery spray paint! Gorgeous!

2.. Now I needed some great stencils to use as masks. I borrowed my Mom's Cricut and proceeded to cut 'a million and one' stencils out of a box of old overhead transperancies. Worked like a dream! You have to be careful with them, so that they don't tear, but I have the coolest stencils now! To have the best luck with the transparency film, make sure your cutting mat is nice and sticky. Then I 'had' to start cutting stencils with my Big Shot...
Old 02-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #131
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimont View Post
Sorry for triple dipping this morning.. but this thread has got me thinking. I've been saving nylon mesh bags from produce knowing there's got to be something great I can do with it. I'm wondering what's the best way to adhere it without glue coming through the little holes.

And sort of along the lines of the tomato paste tube, I've been saving the foil pouches that many foods seems to be packaged in (raisins, etc.) and will experiment with embossing them.
You could use a sewing machine to sew the netting on. You could also use a stapler to attach it. There are the decorative staples, but I just read in this thread, that one can color staples with Copics or Bic Mark-Its.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #132
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to FallnPetal Send a message via Yahoo to FallnPetal

I love this thread, its going under my "references" folders.

I think my greatest "make do" is something I probably shouldn't admit to; but a few years ago I was in several recipe swaps in some Yahoo Groups and kept getting the same recipes (I probably got 8 or more "taco soup" recipes which I realize are popular here but how many do you really need!) Then there were recipes that I just would never use, things my husband would laugh at if I ever tried to serve him and things just not popular with my family, so..........those recipe cards, as artful as many of them were, were scraplifted of their elements. Many of them had wonderful handmade embellishments, cool spare parts and all kind of collage papers and such that were quite useable in other ways.

Frankly I gave up on recipe swaps because of the repeat recipes I was getting and decidedly gave up on Yahoo groups because I wasn't get back the quality I was getting from other groups (and trust me, I'm not a craft snob by any means but a sticker and xeroxed recipe doesn't make a recipe swap but that's another thread.)

On another note though, I've often made lay outs, cards and other things that just didn't turn out and I have no problem ripping apart and reusing those elements that turned out on something totally new. I make do by recycling what I can, reusing things I won't keep (let's face it, we can't keep everything we receive or make) and am frugal with the never ending discussion of "how small a scrap do you save?"

But this list is making me look around at food jar labels, unique storage containers, what looks like trash and seeing it as "found art".......I'm expanding my view of things as I walk through the world and read this thread. I especially love the metal art suggestion with the tomato paste tubes.......if only we had those here!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #133
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne3579 View Post
You can even get some milage out of the cards (as I do with the store-bought ones I get from others) and fold them into beautiful little gift boxes. A pencil, ruler and scissors are all you need. A scorer might be helpful, but I've never used one. I'd attach a picture and step-by-step if I only knew how.
I posted tutorials on my blog back before Christmas on making little gift boxes and decorative cones - both from old Christmas cards. You can find them HERE.

The attached thumbnails are of a card made with a diecut Kleenex box and a flower made from wire-edge ribbon, the other pieces cut from the same box (you get lots from just one box), and a card made with embossed and punched cardboard from a cake mix box.

I'm another faithful follower of Mel (stampztoomuch), and have made several embossing/texture plates following her tutorial. I'm also one who uses markers to alter the colors of embellishments (and cardstock, too, if needed...)

I've recently hauled out all of my old lettering stencils to make my own "diecut" alphabets. A card I made for a recent challenge with them (and what I did to make them) is HERE. I'm looking at other "old" tools and supplies to see what "new" ways I can use them, too!

Thanks, everyone else, for the great ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
gold-gray-dream.jpg   kleenex-box-parts.jpg   krafty-bronc-buster.jpg  

Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #134
Proud Fan Club Member

Forgot to mention that I haven't used empty tomato paste tubes, as was mentioned earlier on this thread, but I have used empty soda cans to punch shapes. Lauren did a very thorough tutorial on her blog last month, showing how to go about it (she did diecuts instead of punches). Bonus: Punching thin metal actually sharpens the punch!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #135
Hardware Hotshot

I LOVE this thread! I have already made notes on so many things to try!

My favorite recycled item ever is the shiny silver cardboard from Nordstrom's gift boxes.

I also have a stash of clean glass soda pop bottles ready to "label" and decorate and fill with goodies...I just have too many ideas and not enough bottles because I only buy the soda when it's on sale!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #136
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallnPetal View Post
I love this thread, its going under my "references" folders.

I think my greatest "make do" is something I probably shouldn't admit to; but a few years ago I was in several recipe swaps in some Yahoo Groups and kept getting the same recipes (I probably got 8 or more "taco soup" recipes which I realize are popular here but how many do you really need!) Then there were recipes that I just would never use, things my husband would laugh at if I ever tried to serve him and things just not popular with my family, so..........those recipe cards, as artful as many of them were, were scraplifted of their elements. Many of them had wonderful handmade embellishments, cool spare parts and all kind of collage papers and such that were quite useable in other ways.

!
One of my sisters displays my cards throughout whatever holiday season is at hand (I make cards for all the major holidays). Then when the season is over, she strips them apart and uses all the embellishments on her scrapbook pages. When she finally told me this (after doing it for three years) I cracked up laughing at her rather embarrassed face. Since then, I include some extra little embellishments lightly tacked to the inside of the card for her scrapbook pages. It doesn't bother me at all that she rips the cards apart and re-uses the pieces! My cards are immortalized in pieces throughout all her scrapbooks... She enjoys them for a bit, and then repurposes them. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #137
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBear2 View Post
subbing 'cos there are some awesome ideas!

I am going to try colouring some gemstones with my Bic Mark-Its and see if it works (can't afford copics) so it will interesting to see if it does.
the Bics are great for this
Old 02-25-2011, 12:22 AM   #138
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallnPetal View Post
I especially love the metal art suggestion with the tomato paste tubes.......if only we had those here!
You do! I just googled for Italian grocery stores near Georgetown, TX. Mandola's Italian Market has several stores around Austin and looking at the "Tomato products" listing on their web site, they carry tomato paste in tubes. Their web site at Mandola's Italian Market will give you addresses for the stores. HTH!

My blog
Old 02-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #139
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnorth View Post
You do! I just googled for Italian grocery stores near Georgetown, TX. Mandola's Italian Market has several stores around Austin and looking at the "Tomato products" listing on their web site, they carry tomato paste in tubes. Their web site at Mandola's Italian Market will give you addresses for the stores. HTH!
That's amazing, I'll have the check them out! I would never have thought to look for an authentic store near me........I'm such an American if it isn't at HEB or Wal-Mart, I probably don't buy it!
Old 02-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #140
Pearl-ExPert

Of course an oldie but never to be forgotten "make do" is using old calendars for envelopes. Most score pals or boards have envelope patters and the outside of even an ordinary letter becomes a work of art, reused. I make dozens of A2 envies from them every year and gather old ones from friends. I love using something that would otherwise end up in a trash dump.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #141
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Mel- You know your our hero for frugal stamping. I tell everyone in the world go to MelStampz, go to MelStampz over and over again. Your blog is the "IT" blog hands down. I don't care who argues with me.

BeagleLover- I will send you a card in jail.
You are an Angel! and about sending BeagleLover a card in jail.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:09 AM   #142
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelmargores View Post
that is GENIUS!
MaryBrewer likes this post.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:43 AM   #143
Matboard Maniac

Watch for after season sales, particularly in WalMart. You can pick up sprays of silk flowers from 49-99 cents each! I cut off the stems and small plastic centers, saving only the silk portions. Also check at the dollar stores.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:21 AM   #144
Embossing Fanatic

I thought of something else to mention. If you are re-purposing a light-weight metal, such as a pop can, you can also emboss them in an embossing folder. It looks beautiful. I like to use acrylic paint on them after the embossing to give them color and more texture. I usually use aluminum tape on the back side of the aluminum can before I die-cut and emboss. When I am finished, you can't tell which side is aluminum tape and which side is the can.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #145
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post
I posted tutorials on my blog back before Christmas on making little gift boxes and decorative cones - both from old Christmas cards. You can find them HERE.

The attached thumbnails are of a card made with a diecut Kleenex box and a flower made from wire-edge ribbon, the other pieces cut from the same box (you get lots from just one box), and a card made with embossed and punched cardboard from a cake mix box.

I'm another faithful follower of Mel (stampztoomuch), and have made several embossing/texture plates following her tutorial. I'm also one who uses markers to alter the colors of embellishments (and cardstock, too, if needed...)

I've recently hauled out all of my old lettering stencils to make my own "diecut" alphabets. A card I made for a recent challenge with them (and what I did to make them) is HERE. I'm looking at other "old" tools and supplies to see what "new" ways I can use them, too!

Thanks, everyone else, for the great ideas!
I, too was going to mention using tissue boxes for background paper. There re some beautiful ones out there! Your cards are sensational. My boxes made from cards come out similar to yours, but the process is simpler. I don't know how to attach things here, but perhaps I can explain it.
Here goes:
Place a ruler diagonally from corner to corner and make a small line at he intersection each way, creating an X at the center. Then simply fold all side edges to that point and crease. Cut along the folds from the long ends to where they intersect with the folds from the short sides. You should have 4 cuts. Fold up the short sides, folding in the flap created by the cut, then fold up the long sides and fold over the excess which holds the flaps together. The bottom can be made from the inside section of the card in the same manner, or cut from a same-size piece of card stock. If the card is exactly square, there will be no extra flap to fold over to hold it together, so it will require tape or glue. This method makes the biggest boxes out of what is available as there are no double folds. Hope that is a bit clearer than mud. PM me if you want an email with the instructions as I know how to attach to an email!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #146
Mad Swapper

this is a great thread!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #147
Die Cut Diva

I've been reading through more of the posts here and there are some great ideas. I have one that's more storage related. I know a lot of suggestions here were for unique storage containers found or repurposed. Every once in a while I buy the small $1 package of donuts for hubby and me (well more for me) at Walmart. The container is perfect for a couple spools of ribbon. I did a post on my blog last summer showing how it works. Scroll down a little bit to see it: Cat Scrap Fever: Busy, busy...
Old 02-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #148
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
I've been reading through more of the posts here and there are some great ideas. I have one that's more storage related. I know a lot of suggestions here were for unique storage containers found or repurposed. Every once in a while I buy the small $1 package of donuts for hubby and me (well more for me) at Walmart. The container is perfect for a couple spools of ribbon. I did a post on my blog last summer showing how it works. Scroll down a little bit to see it: Cat Scrap Fever: Busy, busy...
Aweseome! We, on occasion , buy Enteman's donuts in the long box. I was just thinking that maybe I could open the box very carefully, cut slits in part of the lid, cover the box with DP and use that for ribbon! It is amazing how one idea breeds an other. LOl Have a great day everyone - TGIF.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #149
Insane Embellisher

Great ideas! I recycle almost everything I get a gift in - paper, ribbon, etc. My family laughs at me until I make a card using the recycled item. My office knows that I recycle too so they save report covers for me.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #150
Polyshrink Goddess

I can't believe I didn't think to list this before. When you run out of clean sponge daubers, check your makeup bag. Eye shadow applicators work great for sponge daubers. The sponge on them is not as good, so come apart faster. Usually only good for one use, but they are cheaper then sponge daubers. I got a package of 12 for $1.00 at my local discount store.

This thread has great idea. I love the fun foam for pop dots idea!!! I have tons of fun foam.

Trish
Old 02-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #151
Embossing Fanatic

Card Candy might be "dew drops". If so at M-----L's, in the floral dept. they have plastic floral fillers the size of "dew drops". A bag has thousands - they can be colored using alcohol inks. I think the bag is 5.99 - you could share with a friend and never run out.
We are thinking of buying one bag in my paper guild group and dividing them up, each person color them with a different alcohol ink and sharing with each other.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #152
Hardware Hotshot

I've looked at those "dew drops," too...alcohol inks, huh?

I haven't had much luck using alcohol inks on hard plastic stuff like buttons...it rubs off more than I like, and seems to stay tacky forever. I thought it might be our humidity....

Any suggestions?
Old 02-26-2011, 03:22 AM   #153
Embossing Fanatic

Jane, hmm. I wonder if placing them in a small box with little silica packages (that come in your shoes and purses) while drying would assist with the humidity factor. I have colored " dew drops" in many colors with alcohol inks with no issue. I do recommend that you use a disposable cutting board down on your surface and then layer paper towels under it when laying out your dew drops to color them. Ask me how I know - lol. It only takes a small amount - a drop on each "dew drop" to color them.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #154
Stampin' Fool

Default making do

Yesterday, I was wrestling a large bag of dog food into the storage bin. You know the kind of closure that you have to rip the thread out of it to open? I was about to toss the red thread that held the bag shut, when I thought........ hmm... this might look good on a card! I've also used the ribbon that manufacturers put in the shoulder seams of sweaters and such so that they won't slip off a hanger. Usually, they are dyed to match the clothing item. They are good to use for cards as well. Security envelopes make great die cuts. I've made lovely layered flowers with these.

We waste so much on a daily basis, that it feels good to make use of some of what would end up in a landfill. It definitely changes the way you look at things!

Jutta
Old 02-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #155
Pearl-ExPert

Here you go girls and guys who are wanting to make their own DewDrops: Make your own Dew Drops! « Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog

Frugal storage tip for pretty dew drops use Tic Tac containers.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 02-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #156
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwaganer View Post
Try embroidery thread which is a little thicker and may be easier to work with.
Maybe 4 strands of white/cream and 2 strands of color.
I tried this yesterday but I couldn't keep my thread to stay twisted. I used one strand #10 crochet thread and I split emb floss and used 2 of the threads. It looked great but did not stay twisted and it wanted to kink up. any ideas?
Old 02-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #157
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Here you go girls and guys who are wanting to make their own DewDrops: Make your own Dew Drops! « Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog

Frugal storage tip for pretty dew drops use Tic Tac containers.
hey, thanks for linking to my blog! love making those
Old 02-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #158
Hardware Hotshot

I have GOT to try the homemade dewdrops! They look really good!

Here is an idea for making your own 3D paper fllowers... I think it would probably work with little punched flowers, too, as long as the paper isn't too heavy.

nicnac: A new paper flower tutorial
Old 02-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #159
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
did you split the skein? or is it thicker?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #160
Embossing Fanatic

I tried making my own with the glue gun but mine didn't come out as nicely shaped as hers lol. thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten this tip